[BOOK SPOILERS] Rant and Rave Without Repercussion

teemo

What is the deal supposed to be with the season 1 dead blacked haired baby that she and Robert had? Was that Cersei telling a hugely high risk lie, easily exposed if Cat mentioned it to Ned? Or, does a baby that died somehow not count in the prophecy of 3 children that she has? Or, am I supposed to have forgotten all about that little INCONSISTENCY?

this episode didn't make any sense..it was just awkward conversations that didn't lead anywhere, scenes that didn't have any importance plotwise and well yeah tits and ass. would be a shame if we didn't get to see those for awhile.

i'm sorry but i really didn't understand the LF/Sansa scene, are they actually going to winterfell???

What is the deal supposed to be with the season 1 dead blacked haired baby that she and Robert had? Was that Cersei telling a hugely high risk lie, easily exposed if Cat mentioned it to Ned? Or, does a baby that died somehow not count in the prophecy of 3 children that she has? Or, am I supposed to have forgotten all about that little INCONSISTENCY?

I know, what's with the 3 children you shall have?

Such a touching, lovely scene, too. (Yeah, right.) It would have been so easy to find out if it wasn't true. Cat: Hey, Ned, just heard that your best friend had a baby that died. Ned: WTF?

Or a society with high infant mortality rates doesn't count babies who die in the cradle as sons

You mean the general audience naming their children "Khalessi"? For so long we have used book purist as a slander to people who love books as they are and who wanted adaptation to be as faithful as possible. But, these days, it seems, that being a book purist became highest honor, because, let's face it, it kinda includes some intelligence. When it comes to Sansa, her plot is something I think I will be having problems with. I will wait and see how this turns out, but I honestly already see a whole bunch of problems.

And it is not about Sansa. These days being book purist also means arguing that gay man can have a characterization of sort or that beauty of some characters is that we are not told what they want so easily.

I'm sorry, I can't mix "intelligence" with "wants a 9+ hours TV show to include 1,500 pages"

Or a society with high infant mortality rates doesn't count babies who die in the cradle as sons

I predict that this will be the official apologetics.

You mean the general audience naming their children "Khalessi"? For so long we have used book purist as a slander to people who love books as they are and who wanted adaptation to be as faithful as possible. But, these days, it seems, that being a book purist became highest honor, because, let's face it, it kinda includes some intelligence. When it comes to Sansa, her plot is something I think I will be having problems with. I will wait and see how this turns out, but I honestly already see a whole bunch of problems.

And it is not about Sansa. These days being book purist also means arguing that gay man can have a characterization of sort or that beauty of some characters is that we are not told what they want so easily.

:cheers:

I’ve discussed, at very great length, my problems with the show as an adaptation, and from this first episode, all of those problems are set to get worse rather than better.

And I’m increasingly having trouble seeing what it is about this show that the critics and the Unsullied like so much. Maybe it’s because I’m a horrible snob, I acknowledge that possibility, but, like, plot holes the size of a dwarf planet, sloppy world building, inconsistent characterizations, dropped hot potato threads everywhere, naked female flesh used as set decorations, playing into every problematic stereotype.... is it really just me?

I'm sorry, I can't mix "intelligence" with "wants a 9+ hours TV show to include 1,500 pages"

Hmm, not a miscarriage, not a stillbirth, but a baby that was born and lived but doesn't count....I don't think so, historically speaking.

Of course all the show would have had to do is adjust the wording of the prophecy a tad to say children grown....or something like that....in order to close the plot hole and make clear she was talking about children who grew up.

Me neither, she isn't even a likeable badass rogue like TV Hound, she's just a disgruntle rude bitchy semi entitled jerky woman in armor.

Yeah Pod the sex God and Brienne the Thug is probably my least favorite story getting screen time at the moment.

And I’m increasingly having trouble seeing what it is about this show that the critics and the Unsullied like so much. Maybe it’s because I’m a horrible snob, I acknowledge that possibility, but, like, plot holes the size of a dwarf planet, sloppy world building, inconsistent characterizations, dropped hot potato threads everywhere, naked female flesh used as set decorations, playing into every problematic stereotype.... is it really just me?

Could be those 18.4 million viewers last season.

Hmm, not a miscarriage, not a stillbirth, but a baby that was born and lived but doesn't count....I don't think so, historically speaking.

Of course all the show would have had to do is adjust the wording of the prophecy a tad to say children grown....or something like that....in order to close the plot hole and make clear she was talking about children who grew up.

In the book verse.... Doran had two brother who died in infancy, and they seem to count as existing, but like, not in the birth order. So Oberyn considered himself to be the third born child, not the fifth as he technically was.

All those short-lived Targletts that Aerys and Rhaella had counted enough to be on the family trees.... I don’t know.

The apologist will have enough lee-way to argue that this isn’t a plot hole, I think. But I’m quite convinced they were just being sloppy and actually forgot they gave her another kid.

In the book verse.... Doran had two brother who died in infancy, and they seem to count as existing, but like, not in the birth order. So Oberyn considered himself to be the third born child, not the fifth as he technically was.

All those short-lived Targletts that Aerys and Rhaella had counted enough to be on the family trees.... I don’t know.

The apologist will have enough lee-way to argue that this isn’t a plot hole, I think. But I’m quite convinced they were just being sloppy and actually forgot they gave her another kid.

But, so easy to have no plot hole at all, if the show intended for the season 1 scene to be Cersei telling the truth, then change the prophecy sentence to reflect children who grow up and then there is nothing to discuss or defend, so any way you look at it, it's sloppy.

It would be so bizarre to have Ramsay and Sansa together if they really go this direction, because the writers would be FORCED to destroy the characterization of one of them. They'll make Ramsay stupid or strangely not-violent around Sansa, or they'll make Sansa outmanouver him in a impossible way. Like "awright Sansa, now that you've learned how to lie at the same time you wink at me, NOW I can throw you to in the middle of Boltons to defeat them. Good luck with that!".

Do you really think they're the least bit worried about destroying characterisations?

Usually the first episode is a downer. But here's my 2 pesos:

Liked:

1. Young Cersei
  2. Kevan Lannister is back. Hope they nail his scenes with Cersei later on.
  3. Finally the Dragons have names

Disliked:

1. Cersei knowing that Jamie helped Tyrion escape. Doesn't make sense at all that she knows this, especially with her growing paranoia.
  2. Vary's backstory. It would only make sense if he's just using Tyrion and doesn't want to spill the beans just yet.
  3. Leaving Robin with Lord Royce. That's basically LF renouncing to his Protectorate then and there, unless that's his idea somehow, it makes no sense.
  4. The Missandei / Grey Worm love story.

I predict that this will be the official apologetics.

:cheers:

I’ve discussed, at very great length, my problems with the show as an adaptation, and from this first episode, all of those problems are set to get worse rather than better.

Nope.

But who predicted the sons was a WITCH using magic powers. Not some social worker from westeros. It was obviously a inconsistency from the writers.

Do you really think they're the least bit worried about destroying characterisations?

Well, you're right. =(

I thought this was the best episode of GoT in quite some time. Sure, there were some odd choices, like Loras indeed being a stereotype, but that's water under the bridge by now. They ruined his character back in season three, so I know see him as someone else entirely. Within that context I thought his scene wasn't that terrible, on the contrary it was quite okay.

EDIT: One thing that definitively counts as a nitpick: The eye stones. They are just so shoddy and ugly.

Nope.

But, then, how do you explain all those reviews in major publications that were so gushing that they may as well have ejaculate all over them?

Like, I’m not being a jerk right now, I’m legitimately trying to understand what people see in this show that I don’t.

suprised there isnt more outrage about changing varys backstory. i facepalmed pretty hard during that scene

Actually, I sat there babbling to my daughter (a book reader, but not a semi crazy one like me, HA) about some of that. I'm not sure what the show does want us to think, even about Varys known past. He presented it last night that he and Illyrio wanted to work on a Targ restoration WHEN they saw what a mess Robert B was? Really? Is that supposed to be the truth. Does the show have continuity for this? Did he work for The Mad King in the show version. I'm guessing.....one of the few places to check this out would be.....with Jaime in the bath talking about the killing of Aerys......did Varys come up? The fact that he was contributing to Aerys paranoia? Hmmm, must go watch Jaime bath scene again to figure it out, poor me.

I'm not surprised at the show having to trim Varys intentions, but......now I'm wondering if it's already an inconsistancy, must check that out eventually.

Archived