Football XXXIX: The Magic of M-S-N

Consigliere

I really hope Sterling hands in a transfer request, and that nobody makes an offer. He's massively over-hyped and overrated. £100k a week is twice what he's worth, and he should be thanking the stars that that kind of offer is still on the table after his recent displays. On the other hand, he's still only 20, and may yet improve.

We should totally bring Jenks back from West Ham and use him as an attacking winger. He's got the pace, and is the best crosser of the ball we've had for years. Also, seeing as his natural instinct is to defend, he'd provide a bit more protection for whoever's at right back.

Do it Wenger! Do it. Doooooo iiiiiiiiittttt!

I am still holding out a slim hope that Jenkinson will see where he actually is on the Arsenal depth chart and ask for a move away. I don't think Wenger would actually stop him, despite recent comments.

Having said this, he might not choose West Ham in such a case.

I'm more realistically hoping for Trippier over Glen Johnson.

Got to laugh at all this talk of Barca, Bayern, Real, and English Prem teams.

I support Kilmarnock, who just narrowly managed to avoid a relegation playoff to fall into the Scottish championship....

Tho Barca are my "other" team :D

He's still mostly potential, but he'll go for a lot of money - will he end up being the next Hazard, or the next Lennon?

That's the £30,000,000 question.

One suspects that any elite clubs who might have been considering a move for him six months ago will now be reconsidering their position, certainly in terms of his valuation and salary they might offer him. As a player, well, he hasn't exactly set the world on fire. He's shown himself to be a man of poor judgement with an attitude problem. That BBC interview was beyond the pale. He allowed himself to be photographed smoking and using the old hippy-crack.

The ironic thing is, £100k a week from Liverpool might be better than any offer he'll get elsewhere. And he might have blown it.

In his defence, Liverpool have handled the whole situation appallingly. On the back of a great season, and with our idiot manager chuntering away about him being the best young player in Europe, we did nothing to improve his contract situation.

Not sure about that. Didn't Liverpool offer to more than triple his wages to £100k per week last summer - really, really good money for a 19-year-old (as he was at the time of the offer).

Thing is, football history is littered with the carcasses of players who had one brilliant season at 19 or 20, only to fall away to mediocrity and obscurity by the time they are 25. I suppose you can't blame Sterling for having an over-inflated opinion of himself after all the nonsense that was said and written about him in the aftermath of England's WC campaign.

But you're probably right, he'll likely get what he wants somewhere else - just hope it's not at Arsenal.

Interesting that Sterling reckons if he had been offered the new deal last summer, he would have signed. It's probably bullshit, but doesn't paint Rodgers in a very good light.

On the news that Sterling is about to inform Liverpool that he wants to leave, Jamie Carragher has this to say.

“The lad is from London and he obviously wants to go back home. It might not be about money. It may be about trophies or playing in the Champions League. If it’s about trophies, Liverpool had a chance for a trophy this year, in the FA Cup semi-final at Wembley against Aston Villa. Where was Sterling? If you want trophies, they don’t get given to you, you have to earn them, you have to play well in big games. What did Liverpool do in the Champions League? Nothing. What did Sterling do? Nothing."

To be fair to Sterling, didn't Rodgers play him up front that day? Whatever the lad may be, he's no striker.

Even so, :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think Sterling as a player will be very good when he's not being asked to be a lone striker. His ability to create and dribble at people is very strong but his slight frame and inability to finish will always lead to massive bouts of inconsistency if he's playing as the main striker. He needs to go back to playing the role he had last season where he was playing behind Suarez/Sturridge. If he went to Arsenal (which I do not see happening), I think he'd do very well in that wing role that Chamberlain plays when healthy.

I don't expect it to happen but I'd love to see Ramsey or Wilshere paired next to Coquelin,

I'm with you on that one. I'd really like to see that happen, but I'd be surprised if it does for the next couple of games. There is a lot of variety in that midfield. Though if you do indeed have a front three of Welbeck, Sanchez and Walcott, you're more likely to give the ball away quite cheaply. I don't think those three will work against opposition that camps on the edge of their penalty box. The Ox, Cazorla and Giroud would be more useful there.

I think we've got to rotate based on the opposition we're playing, in some cases you want the speed and directness of walcott, whilst in others you would want a more nuanced approach. Getting the combination and balance right is pretty tricky. The only unfortunate thing I can see happening is that the team selection in the final of the FA Cup will be endlessly scrutinised.

I'm with you on that one. I'd really like to see that happen, but I'd be surprised if it does for the next couple of games. There is a lot of variety in that midfield. Though if you do indeed have a front three of Welbeck, Sanchez and Walcott, you're more likely to give the ball away quite cheaply. I don't think those three will work against opposition that camps on the edge of their penalty box. The Ox, Cazorla and Giroud would be more useful there.

I think we've got to rotate based on the opposition we're playing, in some cases you want the speed and directness of walcott, whilst in others you would want a more nuanced approach. Getting the combination and balance right is pretty tricky. The only unfortunate thing I can see happening is that the team selection in the final of the FA Cup will be endlessly scrutinised.

I agree with all of this. I think we need to rotate more but more for the reasons you're saying. I don't think we set up our teams to take advantage of the way the opponent will play all that often. This has been a running criticism of Wenger for a long time though so doubt it changes much.

I think it's fair to say that Rodgers hasn't made the best use of Sterling this season. Though, the player does list 'striker' as one of his preferred positions on his wikipedia page. And anyway, plenty of players have to play out of their preferred positions. I don't recall Aaron Ramsey ever throwing his toys out of the pram for being stuck out on the right wing most of the season. He's just got on with it, and done his best for the team. Legend.

ETA: And I don't think Sterling's size is any kind of excuse for his deficiencies as a striker. He's no smaller than the likes of Aguero and Falcao, and plenty of other tiny blokes who've done all right as lone strikers....

I think it's fair to say that Rodgers hasn't made the best use of Sterling this season. Though, the player does list 'striker' as one of his preferred positions on his wikipedia page. And anyway, plenty of players have to play out of their preferred positions. I don't recall Aaron Ramsey ever throwing his toys out of the pram for being stuck out on the right wing most of the season. He's just got on with it, and done his best for the team. Legend.

ETA: And I don't think Sterling's size is any kind of excuse for his deficiencies as a striker. He's no smaller than the likes of Aguero and Falcao, and plenty of other tiny blokes who've done all right as lone strikers....

Ramsey has said in the press at least twice that playing out wide isn't his favored position and he doesn't like being uninvolved in the game like he is today. He's not throwing a fit but he's certainly not embracing it with vigor. Not sure I remember Sterling ever throwing a fit about where he was playing but I haven't paid much attention. Regardless of what his wiki page says, his best position has always seemed behind the strikers where he could run at people with his pace and dribbling and create for legitimate finishers. Until he can learn to finish, he's wasted up top by himself but I do think he works well as a second striker.

As for his size, he's smaller than both, from a strength perspective and height. Falcao is 5'10, Aguero is 5'8 and both weigh more and are more solidly built than Sterling. There is room for Sterling to grow, but I do think it's a limiting factor to his effectiveness at this stage in his career.

Ooh, I thought Falcao was much smaller than that. He always looks tiny on the telly. And yeah, I totally agree that Sterling's best position is behind the striker. When we played them in April, I was delighted to see him up top on his own.

And IIRC this isn't the first season that Ramsey has spent most of his time out on the wing. A few seasons ago he always seemed to be out on the right. He didn't moan, didn't whine, didn't agitate for a move away. Fair enough, he didn't play all that well either, but he did a job for the team and was then rewarded with an extended spell in his favoured CM position.

ETA: This is that Ramsey recenty said about playing out wide:

“It (playing out on the right) is not my preferred position. I am a central midfielder and that’s where I like to be. I like to be involved a lot more in the game. But the manager’s asked me to do a job out there, and I do have the license to drift in and get involved.”

As I said, legend. He's perfectly entitled to say that he prefers to play centrally. But the key point is he acknowledges the manager asking him to do a job for the team.

Archived