Football XXXIX: The Magic of M-S-N

Consigliere

Gary Neville's made a hint at a fair good point- Fellaini's not just helping us attack; because he's still part a DM, but hanging around Arsenal's CBs all the time and marking them whenever Ospina gets the ball, Arsenal haven't played out of the back at all. Which means Cazorla, Coquelin and Ramsey have barely touched it coz it's just sailing over their heads.

Fuck Ospina. Every time he's had the ball he's given it straight back to United. If I was manager I would fine the entire back five every time the ball was hoofed long.

Overall, one of the worst 45 minutes we've played all season.

De Gea did his hamstring. Kind of a half-hearted end if that's it for him.

Ah, ok.

I want De Gea to leave United but, yeah, after the season he's had he deserves a better finish to his United career than that. Shame.

I think it's pretty clear that Ramsey's wasted on the right when we don't have much of the ball. When we're hogging possession, it's perfectly acceptable for him to play on the right given how often we interchange. However, games like today show how good he can be when slotted back into the middle.

It's going to be pretty tough for the manager. You would imagine that Coquelin and maybe Ozil are the only nailed on players in the middle.

Also, I only partially agree with Mexal's comment earlier regarding pace and playing narrow. I admit that those two things can happen with Ramsey out on the wing, but when we weren't getting our basics right in the first half. Also, we were winning almost zero percent of the 50-50s. Finally, Alexis being selfish on the ball is a natural reaction to being completely starved of possession in the first half, that being said, he has to get his head up and do better.

Also, I only partially agree with Mexal's comment earlier regarding pace and playing narrow. I admit that those two things can happen with Ramsey out on the wing, but when we weren't getting our basics right in the first half. Also, we were winning almost zero percent of the 50-50s. Finally, Alexis being selfish on the ball is a natural reaction to being completely starved of possession in the first half, that being said, he has to get his head up and do better.

Natural reaction? One of the main reasons we were starved of possession was Sanchez losing it. He was lost the ball 8 times within the first 21 minutes. 8 times!

Oh, I don't know. Alexis was probably guilty of it, but so were the other players. I can't remember us having a meaningful attack in the first half. I agree that he should be doing better, and it's not just this game where he's held onto the ball for a bit too long.

I can't remember us having a meaningful attack in the first half.

You didn't have a single shot. I think Wenger has to take a strong share of the blame for that- like I said before, Ospina was just booting it out and we were winning it fairly easily, and while Spocky apparently blamed that mostly on Ospina, I think at least one fullback and Coquelin needed to be dropping far deeper when Ospina had the ball, give him more options. Because he literally only had the two CBs to aim short for and they were both being immediately hounded by Fellaini and Falcao.

No coincidence that you improved markedly when Walcott and Wilshere came on, because their pace and directness meant our defence had to drop a lot deeper, we could no longer compress the middle of the park and win every loose ball, and viola, Arsenal possession. If he'd changed that earlier you'd probably have won.

Archived