Football XXXIX: The Magic of M-S-N

Consigliere

I'd probably place Dalglish, Rush and Souness (and probably even Alan Hansen) above Gerrard. When trying to determine any club's greatest ever players, you have to consider the success of the team they were in, and these guys were key components in what was arguably Liverpool's greatest ever team.

Gerrard never won the league. And for me, regardless of his qualities as a footballer, that means he can never be considered as Liverpool's greatest ever player. Shit, he probably wouldn't even get in their All Time XI.

Gerrard also never played in clearly the best team in European football, unlike Dalglish, Rush, Souness and Hansen. Yes, the fact they were so good helped with that but the other players in the squad matter when winning the league. None of those players carried Liverpool to a European Cup the way Gerrard did either, mainly because they didn't have to but whatever.

Still, Dalglish was better than Gerrard but he's certainly in the running for second place.

I'd probably place Dalglish, Rush and Souness (and probably even Alan Hansen) above Gerrard. When trying to determine any club's greatest ever players, you have to consider the success of the team they were in, and these guys were key components in what was arguably Liverpool's greatest ever team.

Let's be fair though, that they all played together is a key part of the reason that they won loads more medals than Gerrard. Michael Carrick isn't more of a Manchester United legend than Bryan Robson.

That Gerrard might have won at least one Prem if he didn't think he's better than he really is is the real reason Dalglish for certain and I think Rush too rate above him. Not sure about the others.

Also, in fairness to him, he's responsible in the last year or so alone for two of the best moments ever. The slip almost certainly being the second-most memorable Prem-era incident so far.

Let's be fair though, that they all played together is a key part of the reason that they won loads more medals than Gerrard. Michael Carrick isn't more of a Manchester United legend than Bryan Robson.

Fair enough, I suppose.

I'm finding the Sky Sports coverage more than a little nauseating. I am so fucking glad Villa put them out of the FA Cup so we don't have to put up with any more of this bollocks on Cup Final day.

Also, can't help but cast my mind back to 2005, when 'Mr Liverpool' was absolutely desperate to join Chelsea. The only thing that stopped him was all the death threats against him and his family. That's true love, la.

Ha, Sky have brought back player cam for today's game. I'm Liverpool fan but rein it in a bit for fuck's sake.

They could release it as a DVD. It might be a bit like that Zidane movie, but instead of a Mogwai soundtrack, they could have Phil Collins.

Nice of Kelly to honour the great man by playing a terrible backpass for the onrushing forward. Imitation is the greatest form of flattery and all that.

"Gerrard was the first to congratulate him too" - that's because Lallana ran to him you fucking gimboids.

I'm the first to jump on Gerrard, but not today. Let him have his day.

If it'd just been all like 'yeah Gerrard's last day, let's get on with the show' then I'd have at most made a minor grumble. But this constant arse-licking is nauseating. And baffling. More worthy players haven't got this sort of send-off. Did Lampard when he left Chelsea?

Lampard's not a one club man and he's playing for a small club so is it any surprise nobody cared when fat Frank left?

Sky are going a bit over the top but try to hold back the jealousy lads. It's not Gerrard's fault your clubs don't have any football icons playing for them.

Atrocious from Rodgers tbh, Lallana and to a lesser extent Ibe were like our only bright players today and he subbed them off. Pretty much everyone else was mediocre for us (Henderson was okay), Sterling was extra shit. Officiating was also terrible, 2nd Palace goal was offside and the third wasn't a penalty.

Archived