Football XXXIX: The Magic of M-S-N

Consigliere

And lol at the people who rated Steven Gerrard (0 league titles, 2 FA Cups, 4 League Cups, and 1 European Cup) over Kenny Dalglish (6 league titles, 1 FA Cup, 4 League Cups, and 3 European Cups) as Liverpool's greatest ever player.

BBC Poll Results:

Steven Gerrard - 49.0%

Kenny Dalglish - 32.3%

Ian Rush - 10.5%

John Barnes - 5.3%

Graeme Souness - 2.9%

And lol at the people who rated Steven Gerrard (0 league titles, 2 FA Cups, 4 League Cups, and 1 European Cup) over Kenny Dalglish (6 league titles, 1 FA Cup, 4 League Cups, and 3 European Cups) as Liverpool's greatest ever player.

BBC Poll Results:

Steven Gerrard - 49.0%

Kenny Dalglish - 32.3%

Ian Rush - 10.5%

John Barnes - 5.3%

Graeme Souness - 2.9%

People have short memory spans. Personally I'd have King Kenny as #1. By "greatest Liverpool player ever" I guess they actually mean the greatest in the last two decades.

People have short memory spans. Personally I'd have King Kenny as #1. By "greatest Liverpool player ever" I guess they actually mean the greatest in the last two decades.

I'd probably place Dalglish, Rush and Souness (and probably even Alan Hansen) above Gerrard. When trying to determine any club's greatest ever players, you have to consider the success of the team they were in, and these guys were key components in what was arguably Liverpool's greatest ever team.

Gerrard never won the league. And for me, regardless of his qualities as a footballer, that means he can never be considered as Liverpool's greatest ever player. Shit, he probably wouldn't even get in their All Time XI.

Archived