Rant and Rave Without Repercussion 3 (Book Spoilers)

Veltigar

I prefer to try and think Bran doesnt exist on the show. He was always handled poorly, but Albus Dumbleraven, with his thousand eyes and two, and the cast of Annie throwing fireballs was the breaking point for me

:lol:

Maybe it's good they don't have magic/prophecy/dreams/flashbacks/visions/hallucinations as big a presence on the show, because more often than not they handle it absolutely atrociously.

:lol:

Maybe it's good they don't have magic/prophecy/dreams/flashbacks/visions/hallucinations as big a presence on the show, because more often than not they handle it absolutely atrociously.

indeed. Sadly Bran is my top 3 with Dany and Cat though, so i was dealt a pretty shit hand by hbo :lol:

I am going to be really angry if that is how it goes. I've tried to keep faith that he's not a fucking nihilist, but I don't know, so far, nobody being rewarded for doing the right thing. He likes to talk BS about how revenge is bad, blah, blah, blah, but, bad guys are still winning overwhelmingly.

I think it's my belief this will happen (that I'd be glad to be talked out of) that makes me so disappointed in the show, because the journeys are the best part of his stories. And the show has treated the journeys like they are meaningless.

I did quote this at one point, where GRRM was being rather upbeat, so I will share this, it's now a private video, but it wasn't at the time, and I did carefully write it down, word for word, what he was saying (I have no idea where it's from, since I can't see the video):

"Winter is coming... All men must die... But I don't necessarily think that makes it a pessimistic world, or perhaps not any more pessimistic than the real world that we live in. And we're here for a short time, and we should be conscious of our own mortality. But the important thing is love and compassion and empathy with other human beings is still possible. Laughter is still possible, even laughter in the face of death. The struggle to make the world a better place. We have things like war and murder and rape, horrible things that still exist in the world, but we don't have to accept them. We can fight the good fight, I think, the fight to eliminate those things. So there is darkness in the world, but I don't think we necessarily have to give way to despair. One of the great things Tolkien says in Lord of the Rings is despair is the ultimate crime, that's the ultimate failing of Denethor, the steward of Gondor, is that he despairs of ever being able to defeat Sauron. We should not despair, we should not go gentle into that good night. So winter is coming, but light the torches and drink the wine and gather around the fire, we can still defy it."

I'm asking with all honesty... did anybody here ACTUALLY think Stannis would sit on the throne and survive? I mean, if that's what the show is telling me, they could have also told me the Pope was Catholic.

Nope, I definitely didn't. But, I did think his death would have more context and meaning and be later on. So they didn't spoil anything for me, they just made it stupid.

I prefer to try and think Bran doesnt exist on the show. He was always handled poorly, but Albus Dumbleraven, with his thousand eyes and two, and the cast of Annie throwing fireballs was the breaking point for me

Oh why did you remind me of that? I know 'm in the minority but I really like Bran's chapters, and that whole thing was just so so wrong, yikes!

The Children being turned into Annie throwing fireballs, and BR!!!! I love BR. :crying:

What really irks me about this season is they left out so much interesting/epic parts from aFfC and aDwD and put in pointless "plot points" that only served to shock viewers. It's cheap. And irritating.

What was the point to first scene of the season? If Carol wasn't going to loose her mind and try to frame Margery (sp?), if they were just going to have her play the victim/worried mother the whole season, why did they bother with the Maggy the Frog scene?? Aging up Myrcella and Tommen was annoying. Varys in Mereen was a HUGE disappointment. Jaime...butchered. Stannis..beyond butchered. Brienne...abandoning her oath to kill Stannis with "oathkeeper." The death of Jon Snow was difficult to watch, but underwhelming since I knew how it happened in aDwD. "Olly" was Jon's last line. Dany is constantly needing to be saved, rather than doing anything for herself (like most of the women in this series). Ugh.

I will say that the acting was still phenomenal, but when the writing doesn't allow these great actors to shine, it looks like they don't know how to act. Which I know isn't the case. You can tell if it's the actors or the writers by simply watching scenes with little to no dialogue vs scenes with a lot of dialogue.

Which was worse? Bad pussy or cock merchant? Hard to say...My vote is for cock merchant since they spent like 5 minutes talking about it, while bad pussy was a line that I almost missed.

My unsullied bf said that if GoT keeps Jon dead in the show but he is (somehow) alive in the WoW, he will stop watching the show, and that is huge coming from him as he LOVES the show. I'm not sure how he feels about this season, but he will be reading the books soon. I try not to spoil too much for him so we don't talk too much about the show.

Nope, I definitely didn't. But, I did think his death would have more context and meaning and be later on. So they didn't spoil anything for me, they just made it stupid.

What impact did he have in the show after season 4? He brought Mel with him and died and brought an end to "Brienne's lifelong quest".

:bang:

Edit: Oh, and he tried to burn Mance alive, but he couldn't even do that right.

indeed. Sadly Bran is my top 3 with Dany and Cat though, so i was dealt a pretty shit hand by hbo :lol:

I love Bran too, and can't believe how corny they made his story :frown5:

(and mine are Dany, Jon, and Arianne, so I haven't been spared by HBO either! I think unless Tyrion and Ramsay are your favorite you're shit out of luck).

I think it's my belief this will happen (that I'd be glad to be talked out of) that makes me so disappointed in the show, because the journeys are the best part of his stories. And the show has treated the journeys like they are meaningless.

I did quote this at one point, where he was being rather upbeat, so I will share this, it's now a private video, but it wasn't at the time, and I did carefully write it down, word for word, what he was saying (I have no idea where it's from, since I can't see the video):

Thank you so much for sharing that, that was beautiful :)

I'm asking with all honesty... did anybody here ACTUALLY think Stannis would sit on the throne and survive? I mean, if that's what the show is telling me, they could have also told me the Pope was Catholic.

No. But I never expected him to lose the battle of winterfell or kill his daughter or die at the beginning of winds. I expected at the very least, he'd get a heroic self sacrificing death to make him a famous dead hero in the songs.

Kinda OT but... meat with chocolate tastes awesome.

LOL I think I believe you, being as.......I am both a bloody steak and sweet chocolate freak.

Gods, how much I loathed that scene!!!! Why do they do these things? Why swap it around like that? WHY? What purpose does it serve? How does it serve the story? HOW? HOW? WHY? HOW? WHY? :bang:

Hey, maybe that's why Thorne first let Jon threw the Wall with his Wilding buds, he kinda felt bad for that other time that Jon was right, according to chicken shit D&D, but didn't feel bad enough not to stab him later?

I should no better than to look for sense with this show.

No. But I never expected him to lose the battle of winterfell or kill his daughter or die at the beginning of winds. I expected at the very least, he'd get a heroic self sacrificing death to make him a famous dead hero in the songs.

You really think any of that happens in the books?

Beric says that each time he's brought back, there's a little more of him gone.

That's what I mean, I take that to mean even the first time Beric was lacking something. GRRM has continually made characters pay the price for cheating the Grim Reaper, so I can't imagine it would or SHOULD be any different for Jon.

No. I figured he'd die against the Others (vision of him facing the darkness with a glowing sword in hand), Daenerys (vision of a king getting burned to death by his own crown), Cersei (in King's Landing when it burns; same vision, also Valonquar), or maybe a traitorous ally (Richard III parallels). So the show hasn't really spoiled anything. This is what I'm talking about; sure, the show tells us Stannis dies, but we know for a fact that the circumstances of his death will be far, far different, as well as his preceding actions (he's pretty much confirmed to wreck the first Bolton force, very likely to take Winterfell, hasn't burned his daughter, has Northmen on his side, etc.). So what can they spoil?

You really think any of that happens in the books?

It beats the hell out of me how he can lose the battle of winterfell, i've always figured that yes, ramsay wrote the pink letter, people think too much about the novels, but that stannis isn't really dead, it's some kind of a trick and he will eventually beat the boltons.

i don't think he will kill his daughter it seems completely alien to the character, i think mel will do it, and to some degree, yes that will be his fault indirectly.

What impact did he have in the show after season 4? He brought Mel with him and died and brought an end to "Brienne's lifelong quest".

:bang:

Edit: Oh, and he tried to burn Mance alive, but he couldn't even do that right.

:lol: I'm not the one to ask since I am asking myself the same question. They were clearly just trying to clear out as many characters as they can, so now next season they don't have to worry about him or his family. I guess that was his only purpose this season? To die and be the leading cause of his family's death so they could move on from his story which they clearly hate?

It beats the hell out of me how he can lose the battle of winterfell, i've always figured that yes, ramsay wrote the pink letter, people think too much about the novels, but that stannis isn't really dead, it's some kind of a trick and he will eventually beat the boltons.

i don't think he will kill his daughter it seems completely alien to the character, i think mel will do it, and to some degree, yes that will be his fault indirectly.

Well exactly. So I really don't think this spoils anything. It's not really a spoiler if Stannis dies in completely different circumstances. It's pretty much just that he would happen to die in both incarnations. I mean if somehow Stannis does lose at Winterfell, he can't burn Shireen. And if he does burn Shireen he has to make it out of Winterfell. So yeah...most of what went down in the finale with Stannis has nothing to do with the books. I guarantee it.

Oh why did you remind me of that? I know 'm in the minority but I really like Bran's chapters, and that whole thing was just so so wrong, yikes!

The Children being turned into Annie throwing fireballs, and BR!!!! I love BR. :crying:

I love the bolded. Brilliant :lol:

Archived