July 2015 Reads

First of My Name

I finished Half The World by Joe Abercrombie which was much fun, as fun as the first one. I know it's YA and not nearly as dark as his other books but I enjoyed the humor and the twists and turns.

I'm about to start The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox by Barry Hughart, the immense copy that Beniowa sent me. It's a sure sign that I'm getting old, when I open a book and my first comment is "Oi, small print!!!". :lol: (or it's telling of how much i've come to rely on ereaders and the ability to increase the size of the font, instead of wearing my glasses)

Finished Cibola Burn and fell for the BwB peer pressure to mediately also get Nemesis Games (I keep thinking of it in my head as "Nemesis Gates" or "Nemesis Grates" for no particular reason).

So Cibola Burn, fourth in the Expanse series by James SA Corey. Due to its hardback status, it took me a year to finish it. Started it last summer during my annual leave, but since my reading outside of hols is basically commuter reading and I can't lug a hardback around in my work bag, it had to wait for the next long holiday which is now! Remains to be seen if I can finish Nemesis Games/Gates/Grate before the end of the leave or whether it will also have to wait until next year. Hopefully I can cram it in before I go back to drowning in work, kids and everyday bleah.

Anyways, Cibola Burn is a great novel, which is somewhat confusing since I also think it's probably the weakest of the Expanse Novels so far. Once I had more than 20 min at a time to read it, I finished it in a day and a half (ok, some night time reading as well, but as I only have to get up around 8 am since holidays and SO can divert the kids for two hours in the morning, this is totally doable.) It's nearly unputdownable, as a matter of fact, which is exactly the same as the other novels in the series. The storyline itself is good, the new characters introduced are as always engaging, but it felt a bit mean to only have Avasarala dump the actual implications of everything in the last few shivering pages, as a setup for the next novel. Also, it needed more Avasarala in general, tbh. It did have a lot of science I actually found both interesting and engaging, although I am still not certain I understand what bichiral organisms are, but that would be a failure in my education.

Even though I blame peer pressure for having me spend £26 on ordering Nemesis Games from Amazon, I can't wait to get my hands on it and see where this leads!

In the meantime, I raided my dad's book stash and he handed me an old Frederick Forsyth book he thought I should try.

Finished The Mechanical by Ian Tregillis. Loved it. It was overly descriptive at times but kept me intrigued throughout. There was also some really awful stuff happening in there, like:
[spoiler]Father Luuk Visser having his brain proved while conscious, then having his free will stripped from him and being forced to renounce his God and murder the Pope [/spoiler]
Looking forward to the rest of this trilogy.

Up next The Lions of Al-Rassan

After the slog that was Queen of Fire,i need something good...  thankfully, Abercrombie is here to save the day.Half a War is on my e-reader just waiting to be read. :read:

I had to go to bed last night with my kindle sitting at 84%.  It is killing me to wait for lunch to finish it.

I finished Emperor of Thorns by Mark Lawrence, finishing the trilogy.  I enjoyed it and would recommend it.  This trilogy is Machiavellian grimdark.  The best aspect is Jorg's internal observations on people and situations, as well as his shocking willingness to commit violence and atrocities in pursuit of his ambition.  But he is not a psychopath: he understands the consequences and impact of his actions, he has just decided they are necessary and justified.  There are some parallels to GoT: political maneuvering and war in pursuit of power, but with a supernatural enemy lurking in the background, and Jorg is somewhat similar to Tyrion.  There is also some fun world-building, similar to Abercrombie's Half a King series, but it's a larger part of the plot here.  The biggest weakness is the necromantic, supernatural enemy, which just did not feel well written to me (mainly in order to keep it mysterious for a foreshadowed reveal at the end) and the fairly abrupt switch away from the early focus of dream-sworn as the antagonists -- the shadowy conspiracy of manipulative magicians disappears abruptly at the end of book 2.

Overall, the tone is too bleak and dark to prolong this series beyond three books.  But Lawrence has apparently started another series with lighter characters in the same world around the same time.  I've bought the first book of this series and will give it a try.

Right now I'm reading some non-fiction: Luc Ferry's The Wisdom of Myths looks at the philosophical underpinning of the classical Greek myths.  I like his informal discursive style.  It feels like a natural follow on from his Brief History of Thought which discussed the history and development and flow of the various schools of philosophy since ancient Greece. 

I find that I fall asleep much faster at night reading non-fiction.  It's interesting and I enjoy it, but it's less gripping for sure (plot, characters and prose).

Finished Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix yesterday, pretty long...pretty angry...but still pretty good.  Harry's continual angst throughout the book got a bit old and a little forced especially as Rowlings used it for the reason he couldn't master Occlumency and thus was able to be tricked by Voldemort to set up the climax.

Started Facing Justice by Diane & David Munson.

Just finished Breath by Tim Winton. I really enjoyed this novel, even when it takes an unexpectedly dark turn in the second half. Effortless prose from Winton as always.

Now need to finish Crime and Punishment. Struggling a bit with the dramatic style but still interesting overall.

Reading Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel. One of my favorite openings to a story, just beautiful imagery and story to start, quite poignant. Jumps in time after that to after the "big events", and a different main character, then back around and around again, with some interesting connections. A unique post-apocolyptic story so far.

After the slog that was Queen of Fire,i need something good...  thankfully, Abercrombie is here to save the day.Half a War is on my e-reader just waiting to be read. :read:

Oh damn it, again? HaW only to be released on July 28th in the U.S.

Finished Armada by Ernest Clines; totally sucked ass.  It's probably my least favorite book I've read in the past year, maybe years.  It's the Last Starfighter and a bunch of other 80's movies and stuff mashed together with an absurd predictable plot and...it just sucked.  My opinion, I'm sure others will disagree but I can, without remorse, say I did not like it.  

Cool and rainy weather in a backcountry mountain lodge allowed me to catch up on reading.

I loved Kushiel's Chosen by Jacqueline Carey. I just love everything about the series so far.

1493 by Charles Mann was interesting, but it just didn't capture the same level of fascination as 1491 by the same author held for me.

I blew through The Blade's Memory by Lindsay Buroker. I thought this one was the best one in the Dragon's Blood series since the first book.

Now started City of Thieves by David Benioff.

Finished Armada by Ernest Clines; totally sucked ass.  It's probably my least favorite book I've read in the past year, maybe years.  It's the Last Starfighter and a bunch of other 80's movies and stuff mashed together with an absurd predictable plot and...it just sucked.  My opinion, I'm sure others will disagree but I can, without remorse, say I did not like it.  

That sums up Ready Player One too. He's consistent at least.

Archived