What cheeses do you prefer?

Please translate for the Englishwoman. What do you guys mean by Swiss cheese? Switzerland produces a lot of different cheeses...

Swiss cheese in North America is generally 'cheese made in North America in the style of Emmental with holes in it'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_cheese

Of course, Swiss-made cheese is also available and sold as whatever style it is.

I have a confession. I debated long and hard before I came to the board with this, but I finally came to the conclusion that people could learn from my story and not experience the horrors that I have gone through. Any sence of shame that I am experiencing is worth it if I can save just one of you.

I am finding myself shopping on a budget as of late. Gone are the days that I walk by and just grab half pounds of smoked gouda, havarti, manchego, asiago, and gorgonzola cheeses and throw them in the basket to snack on with fresh fruit and crackers throughout the day. I find myself buying cheddar, Swiss, and Monterrey jack, now, and only then if I can use it in a recipe for dinner. This has obviously been just a tad stressful, but if I am to be completely honest, all of these "pedestrian" cheeses are actually really tasty, and although I am losing some in the flavor department, it is totally justified to come in on a budget right now.

Now, on to the horror part of this tale. As I was going through the grocery store the other day, I found two pounds of cheddar cheese already grated in a bag for $5. I hastily threw it in my cart and patted myself on the back for such a good find. I went home that evening, and cooked up myself a nice batch of chicken fajitas and put this cheddar on top as the final ingredient of the taco I made. One bite in, and my mouth was overwhelmed with the blandest, and most awful cheese flavor I have ever had the displeasure of experiencing. It was as if someone had looked at the recipe for American cheese and decided they could double down on making shitty cheese. I immediately went to the refrigerator, grabbed this two pound bag, and started reading the label. Below the big label for "Cheddar Cheese" was the word "imitation" in tiny letters.

Yes folks, my life has slipped to the point that I bought imitation cheese. I am terribly ashamed of this mistake, but I hope this story can help you guys out. Never, in any circumstance let yourself be fooled into eating fake cheese.

Yes folks, my life has slipped to the point that I bought imitation cheese. I am terribly ashamed of this mistake, but I hope this story can help you guys out. Never, in any circumstance let yourself be fooled into eating fake cheese.

Does Cheez Whiz or Velveeta count as fake cheese?

Does Cheez Whiz or Velveeta count as fake cheese?

Cheez Whiz should be abandoned by the age of 4, but as a Texan, I have to say there is merit to Velveeta in making chili con queso as long as you know what you are doing with other ingredients.

Cheez Whiz should be abandoned by the age of 4, but as a Texan, I have to say there is merit to Velveeta in making chili con queso as long as you know what you are doing with other ingredients.

And not using beans ;)

I feel like cheese is one of the ways we know God loves us.

I've never tried Velveeta, but I like its name. I bet how I imagine it tastes is a lot better than it actually does

Ah, "Liquid Gold" it's been known as. It's a bland but strangely pleasing reconstituted cheese product invented many decades ago. Just Google it and you'll get tons of info on it. It has the wonderful property of not separating into pools of fat and solids when melted - thus its name.

BTW, I say strangely pleasing, but you really do have to grow up eating it. If you tasted it now, you'd think, "What madness is THIS?"

Velveeta is a key component to Ro*Tel dip. As is Ro*Tel, of course. At least according to a former roommate from Austin who made it every Saturday during college football season.

There are so much more complicated, and frankly delicious queso to be made. I perfectly understand that for the vast majority of the country, Velveeta is just a college cheap cheese solution, but when you are cooking Tex Mex, it is really a legitimate ingredient. I fully understand the trepidation though and even the scorn, but I'll take it because I love some of these dips.

And not using beans ;)

Beans can be used in any dish that you want to create. Once you put them in a dish, you can not call that dish chili.

Being from Wisconsin, it's hard to beat a good, very sharp cheddar. I also like manchego for crackers and chevre for salads and generally use in savory cuisine. Uh, in general I like all cheeses except for strong bleu.

Being from Oregon, it's hard not to beat Wisconsin with every single cheese tillamook makes.

cheese is awesome, if i had to pick a favourite i would say the bluest, stinkiest like feet motherf'er you can find. also cheese board, which accompaniments? i'm much more of a bread than a cracker man, and also, fuck grapes!

Red Leicester is fairly dull usually but it makes fantastic cheese on toast.

My favourite cheese is Godminster cheddar. I grew up near there, even went on a school trip to their farm, and it tastes great.

Not really a fan of the strong blue cheeses.

Archived