Dogs

Quorra

Depending on if you are planning to have more kids after baby number two, I'd say wait a few years. IMO it might be best to get one when they're like 6 and 4 respectively so they can learn some lessons on raising an animal. If you get one now, it won't be a puppy anymore when they'd be at an ideal age to learn from the process. 

I'm going to get to dog-sit our dental hygienist's white Lab for a week!  She's a real sweetie-pie. 

We've offered our services to watch "Gracie" any time.  When I get some pix, I'll post 'em.

We haven't taken the step to get another dog after our much-beloved Benny passed.  Wanted to travel, etc., and didn't want to leave said new doggie alone at boarding or friends'.  It'll be coming within the next year, though, and I can't wait.  I've been needing a furry companion desperately.  It'll definitely be another rescue.

On 7/23/2019 at 11:15 PM, Tywin et al. said:

Depending on if you are planning to have more kids after baby number two, I'd say wait a few years. IMO it might be best to get one when they're like 6 and 4 respectively so they can learn some lessons on raising an animal. If you get one now, it won't be a puppy anymore when they'd be at an ideal age to learn from the process. 

That’s a difficult question to answer, I’d like to say we’re going to be done having two kids, it’s not as though we can have a third unplanned, but who knows a few more years down the line.

Thank you all for your advice though, after discussing it more with my partner we’ve decided to hold off for a while because two kids is going to be difficult enough for us without a puppy.

• 6 months later...

Just wanted to mention this...

My dog had a seizure a few weeks ago. A dog I had before had epilepsy and I know what seizures in dogs are like and this was a grand mal seizure. She wet herself, she was on her side with her limbs flailing, and she was drooling and crying out. It lasted about 30 seconds and then she was dazed for about a half hour to an hour, was jumpy the rest of the day.

When I got this dog I specifically looked for responsible breeder that screen for health issues and could prove they did. I took her to the vet the next day and while tests couldn't rule out epilepsy they did say she was in excellent health. So could it be epilepsy? Possibly, it has been a trait of this breed in the past but it's been trying to be cut out. Could it just be a one off random thing unknown what caused it? Another possibility.

The only other thing is this:

My community gets its water from a private source, not city or town water, the landlord gets it pumped in and treated every month or two. Whenever it's treated I can tell because for a day or two there is a strong chlorine smell, especially with the hot water (probably from the heat and being stored in the water heater tank for a while).

Anyhow, the day she had her seizure I noticed the smell and it was stronger than it ever had been before, and the smell lasted for more than a week.

When she had her seizure I stopped giving her tap water and I've only given her bottle water since. I told the vet about this and while she couldn't say it could be a cause she did say it was concerning and she agreed I should only use bottled water for the time being. She's only had that one seizure and has been doing fine since.

14 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

I think it very likely the highly chlorinated water caused this. See this:

Bromoform is formally rated as an unfounded non-carcinogenic (IARC 3) potentially toxic compound. Exposure to bromoform may occur from the consumption of chlorinated drinking water. The acute (short-term) effects from inhalation or ingestion of high levels of bromoform in humans and animals consist of nervous system effects such as the slowing down of brain functions, and injury to the liver and kidney. Chronic (long-term) animal studies indicate effects on the liver, kidney, and central nervous system (CNS) from oral exposure to bromoform.

Further down it notes that in acute cases (in humans, in any case) medical personnel should anticipate seizures.

You can dechlorinate water using a carbon water filter or by boiling it for 20 minutes.

16 minutes ago, Ran said:

I think it very likely the highly chlorinated water caused this. See this:

Further down it notes that in acute cases (in humans, in any case) medical personnel should anticipate seizures.

You can dechlorinate water using a carbon water filter or by boiling it for 20 minutes.

You aren't the King o' the Board for no reason. Your knowledge swaths over a broad spectrum to aid all in your kingdom. I thank you for your valuable input your grace.

I used to have a Britta filter but I still couldn't stand the taste. I'm going to continue with bottled water for all of us from now on.

Thanks for the info!

On 2/12/2020 at 11:46 AM, drawkcabi said:

My dog had a seizure a few weeks ago. A dog I had before had epilepsy and I know what seizures in dogs are like and this was a grand mal seizure. She wet herself, she was on her side with her limbs flailing, and she was drooling and crying out. It lasted about 30 seconds and then she was dazed for about a half hour to an hour, was jumpy the rest of the day.

When I got this dog I specifically looked for responsible breeder that screen for health issues and could prove they did. I took her to the vet the next day and while tests couldn't rule out epilepsy they did say she was in excellent health. So could it be epilepsy? Possibly, it has been a trait of this breed in the past but it's been trying to be cut out. Could it just be a one off random thing unknown what caused it? Another possibility.

The only other thing is this:

My community gets its water from a private source, not city or town water, the landlord gets it pumped in and treated every month or two. Whenever it's treated I can tell because for a day or two there is a strong chlorine smell, especially with the hot water (probably from the heat and being stored in the water heater tank for a while).

Anyhow, the day she had her seizure I noticed the smell and it was stronger than it ever had been before, and the smell lasted for more than a week.

When she had her seizure I stopped giving her tap water and I've only given her bottle water since. I told the vet about this and while she couldn't say it could be a cause she did say it was concerning and she agreed I should only use bottled water for the time being. She's only had that one seizure and has been doing fine since.

Sorry to hear about your sweet one. I hope with the change in water intake the problem goes away. 

21 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Sorry to hear about your sweet one. I hope with the change in water intake the problem goes away. 

Thanks!

She's been doing great, only had the 1 seizure. Keeping her on the bottled water.

She had another grand mal seizure today. :( 

ETA:

Her veterinarian wants to try her on a newer medication called Zonisamide. It's supposed to be better for a dog's liver and have therapeutic qualities. It's also only $0.25 a pill and while that's not the most important thing it does ease some stress on me that my budget isn't going to take a big hit right now.

We'll see how she does on this medication.

• 2 weeks later...

I was gonna put this in a dream thread and there's been several of them, but they are all archived now. It'll be good here though too.

Last night I had a dream I was in a movie theater watching a 40th anniversary screening of The Muppet Movie. Not only that, I was in the same movie theater I was in when I saw it as a kid and I purposefully looked back to the projectionist's window and saw there was an actual reel to reel projector and realized they were screening one of the original 70mm film prints. Other weird things like I realized I was sitting next to Paul Williams and then he says "Oops, it's time for my cameo!" and he gets up and walks past me then hops on the screen and then he's in the movie playing piano.  Also, there were Transformers in the audience. Not animated and not life size, they were all their G1 toy size and designs but they were all alive, enjoying the movie greatly, and each taking up its own seat in the theater even though a bunch could have fit in the same seat.. All that's not really relevant, only it was cool/funny/strange.

Anyway, EVERYBODY in the audience was loving the movie. The movie theater wasn't completely full but almost full, and there were a few empty seats around me, especially now that Paul wasn't there. This woman in the same row I'm in but 3 or 4 seats down decides to get up and move several seats over and sits next to me. She snuggles up to me and lays her head on my shoulder and says how much she's loving this movie. All I can do is think "Who the Hell is this woman?!!"

So I wake up and my dog is in bed next to me snuggled right up against me.

• 1 month later...

And in the thread dedicated to the superior pet, @Fury Resurrected, walking just now in the snow storm was pretty funny. There was no way to run, and it was driving Bailey nuts. But I went around the whole park and I didn't see a single track that wasn't ours. It's so bizarre for this time in April. 

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

And in the thread dedicated to the superior pet, @Fury Resurrected, walking just now in the snow storm was pretty funny. There was no way to run, and it was driving Bailey nuts. But I went around the whole park and I didn't see a single track that wasn't ours. It's so bizarre for this time in April. 

You have the wrong type of dog if a couple inches of snow stop running! The only time any of the Pyrenees I had were interested in running was in the snow. They are no cats, but Pyrs are also super great pets. However all pets are great, even rats are good pets despite the fact that people who keep rats are the weirdest pet owners.

17 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

You have the wrong type of dog if a couple inches of snow stop running! The only time any of the Pyrenees I had were interested in running was in the snow. They are no cats, but Pyrs are also super great pets. However all pets are great, even rats are good pets despite the fact that people who keep rats are the weirdest pet owners.

Nah, wasn't her. She's a sled dog. I just didn't want to deal with how slippery it was with all the fresh snow.

And I had a pet rat as a kid. She'd sit on my shoulder as I read and I'd give her little food pellets. Very sweet little critter. 

29 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Nah, wasn't her. She's a sled dog. I just didn't want to deal with how slippery it was with all the fresh snow.

And I had a pet rat as a kid. She'd sit on my shoulder as I read and I'd give her little food pellets. Very sweet little critter. 

Now you’ve outed yourself as the weirdest

My childhood dog loved probably nothing more than running around in the snow.  Only thing she did that helped make sense of the fact her breed came from Nova Scotia.

6 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Seriously, that rat thing now has me picturing Ty as Crispin Glover.

6 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

The class pet had a ton of babies. Every other kid took one home. They're really smart, by the way. I never kept mine in her tank when I was in my room, and if I'd forget to put her back when I left the room for a while, she'd usually just sleep on my bed and bounce to my feet when I returned. 

Archived