Watch, Watched, Watching: Give Me All The Bacon & Eggs You Have!

Nox Irradiata

Just watched a movie called Homebound on Netflix. It's a quite funny movie. One I'd be happy to watch again, but I cant really talk about without spoiling it.

Suffice to say you won't know the ending from the first scene.

Kinda reminds me of Disurbia. In a way.

Watching 'Troy' and playing Total War: Rome. I fucking love this movie. I know it's cheesy and terrible, and I know Brad Pitt is horrible but he's so damn hot!!! And Sean Bean's just brooding all over the place. What more could you ask of in a movie!?! Brad Pitt's sexy body slaughters lesser men by the score while Eric Bana's beautiful face is contorted in a visage of horror at the unstoppable force that has been released on his people.

signed, Drunk Jace.

Troy is awesome. It gets a lot of flak for butchering the Iliad but it's cool if you just appreciate it as a fun action movie set in that 'time period'

I watched The Third Man earlier today. Another great film. The Third Man's setting is probably the best I have ever seen in a film. There is something about early post-war Vienna, that strange mixture of rubble and imperial grandeur that imbues this film with such a terrible gloomy atmosphere.  The acting is pretty great to. Especially Orson Welles, he just brings it. The music is iconic for good reasons and the ending is absolutely fantastic. Seriously, that has to be one of the best endings in cinematic history.

Watching 'Troy' and playing Total War: Rome. I fucking love this movie. I know it's cheesy and terrible, and I know Brad Pitt is horrible but he's so damn hot!!! And Sean Bean's just brooding all over the place. What more could you ask of in a movie!?! Brad Pitt's sexy body slaughters lesser men by the score while Eric Bana's beautiful face is contorted in a visage of horror at the unstoppable force that has been released on his people.

signed, Drunk Jace.

It's definitely not an all time great, but I have never really gotten the hatred for Troy. Sure, Orlando Bloom sucked, it was a bit over-long, you could see the occasional plane flying over, they took out the mythological elements and the relationship between Patrokles and Achilles, but the result was still not as terrible as the rep it gets.

The cast was pretty stellar and the action was great. The storming of the beach and the duel between Hector and Achilles are incredible action scenes imo. The beginning of the film as a whole is pretty much perfect. To this day, whenever I read something about perfect warriors I imagine Pitt's Achilles when he storms the beach. Brad Pitt's scenes with Peter O'Toole and Rose Byrne were great. All in all, I think the film just came out at a bad time. It was perhaps a bit to much of a throwback to those old Hollywood epics.

Troy is awesome. It gets a lot of flak for butchering the Illiad but it's cool if you just appreciate it as a fun action movie set in that 'time period'

I have never really gotten that to be honest. Like, I think the movie expressly tried to show the "real" story behind the Illiad. So no Gods and the likes. That's pretty much fair game then if you ask me. I think they only really butchered the Illiad by trimming it down and downplaying Achilles and Patrokles for the most part.

I think you're right in that it felt like too much of a throwback. Compared to similar films of the time like Gladiator (which was 4 years older) or LOTR, it has a very cheesy and stage play sort of vibe to it.

WE CAN'T DESTROY IT.. IT'S A GIFT FROM THE GODS!!

I didn't like Troy very much but was no where near to the potent rage and disgust I feel at 'Immortals' god I hate that movie. 

Strangely enough though I kinda love 300 lmao. But that's based on a comic and not trying to be historically accurate.

I watched There will be blood today. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this film - it's certainly stayed with me. I've been thinking about it all day. Daniel Day Lewis is excellent, as is Paul Dano. Why isn't the latter in more movies? 

I'm sure True Detective's awful dialogue later on tonight will give me something else to think about. 

I didn't like Troy very much but was no where near to the potent rage and disgust I feel at 'Immortals' god I hate that movie. 

Strangely enough though I kinda love 300 lmao. But that's based on a comic and not trying to be historically accurate.

I'm reasonably certain that Immortals isn't trying to be historically accurate either... although oddly enough, 300, in the broad strokes of what happened, and in many of the quotes, if not in the ninja elephants and dramatic lighting, is actually reasonably accurate iirc.

I like Troy. It's got ace action scenes.

I'm reasonably certain that Immortals isn't trying to be historically accurate either... although oddly enough, 300, in the broad strokes of what happened, and in many of the quotes, if not in the ninja elephants and dramatic lighting, is actually reasonably accurate iirc.

I like Troy. It's got ace action scenes.

I don't dislike Troy..I just don't like it if that makes sense lol. I gues I'm just completely indifferent. 

hahha I just really really really hated Immortals 

Tonight I finally got caught up and watched the Season 3 finale of Vikings. I really enjoyed the Season as a whole. Thought it was just as entertaining as S2, but with a more polished feel to the camera work, acting etc. some more specific points on what I enjoyed/didn't enjoy:
[spoiler]
Good:
Siggy dying. I didn't expect it at all and was surprised when it happened. Even more surprising was the fact that I felt for her when she was gone. I didn't even realise I'd grown to like her as a character. I'll miss her next Season.
Not shying away from Ragnar being an absolute monster. I mean, he was willing to let hundreds die attacking Paris just to get one up on Floki.
Rollo and Bjorn. I thought they were both great this season, tpthey've both really taken on their roles now. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with Rollo and Gisla next season, and also seeing how Bjorn reacts to Porrun leaving Kategat.
Floki just being a generally awesome character.
Princess Gisla :love: She's still flawed, but obviously superior to Emperor Charles in every way that matters.

Didn't like:
Erlendur being alive. First, what purpose did that serve? He was introduced by Kalf as some sort of mighty ally against Ragnar...and then they promptly joined forces? Huh? And second, why the hell does Ragnar leave Erlendur alive but kill all of Horik's younger children? Surely Erlendur is the bigger threat there?
Floki and Helga's daughter apparently disappeared off the face of the earth, lol.
Aslaug continues to irritate me, as she has done since she was introduced.
Fifty Shades of Odo. Um, is there a point to this? Or is it just so we don't feel so bad about the fact Odo gets shit all gratitude for taking charge of defending Paris? Also, who is the woman he chains up? I didn't catch her name.
King Ecbert and Judith :ack: [/spoiler]

I then watched the first episode of Sense8. I'm intrigued. Nice introductory episode, gave me just enough that I wanted to find out more about the characters and plot, but not so much that I was overwhelmed.

I watched The Third Man earlier today. Another great film. The Third Man's setting is probably the best I have ever seen in a film. There is something about early post-war Vienna, that strange mixture of rubble and imperial grandeur that imbues this film with such a terrible gloomy atmosphere.  The acting is pretty great to. Especially Orson Welles, he just brings it. The music is iconic for good reasons and the ending is absolutely fantastic. Seriously, that has to be one of the best endings in cinematic history.

It's definitely not an all time great, but I have never really gotten the hatred for Troy. Sure, Orlando Bloom sucked, it was a bit over-long, you could see the occasional plane flying over, they took out the mythological elements and the relationship between Patrokles and Achilles, but the result was still not as terrible as the rep it gets.

The cast was pretty stellar and the action was great. The storming of the beach and the duel between Hector and Achilles are incredible action scenes imo. The beginning of the film as a whole is pretty much perfect. To this day, whenever I read something about perfect warriors I imagine Pitt's Achilles when he storms the beach. Brad Pitt's scenes with Peter O'Toole and Rose Byrne were great. All in all, I think the film just came out at a bad time. It was perhaps a bit to much of a throwback to those old Hollywood epics.

I have never really gotten that to be honest. Like, I think the movie expressly tried to show the "real" story behind the Illiad. So no Gods and the likes. That's pretty much fair game then if you ask me. I think they only really butchered the Illiad by trimming it down and downplaying Achilles and Patrokles for the most part.

I thought it was because people couldn't bear the idea of adored Orlando Bloom - Legolas as such a sniveling creepy, cowardly wimp.

Honestly, I couldn't take it either.  Was Paris really that impossible?

I loved the ships though -- the thousand ship fleet to Troy.

I finished watching the 6th and final, season of White Collar, a series I truly enjoyed for so many reasons, but most of all because of the ensemble of terrific actors, their relationships and tone of the series.  Fine writing, solid adult entertainment.  Every season felt to me as if I had been included in the perfect party.

I also finished watched the second, and final, season of the Witches of East End (2014).  The season took a long time to get cooking, so it's not that much of a surprise that it got cancelled.  However, in the second third James Marsters appears as a supernatural Bad Guy.  No bleached hair, definitely older, but withall of Spike's menace filtered through the Tarkoff character, down to the clenching of the jaw muscles under the cheekbones.  He also sings.

I finished watching the final season of White Collar, a series I truly enjoyed for so many reasons, but most of all because of the ensemble of terrific actors, their relationships and tone of the series.  Fine writing, solid adult entertainment.  Every season felt to me as if I had been included in the perfect party.

I also finished watched the second, final season of the Witches of East End.  The season took a long time to get cooking, so it's not that much of a surprise that it got cancelled.  However, in the second third James Masters appears as a Bad Guy.  No bleached hair, definitely older, but he had all of Spike's menace filtered through the Tarkoff character, down to the clenching of the jaw muscles under the cheekbones.  He also sings.

White Collar was definitely a favorite of mine over the years.

I just watched Jean-Pierre Melville's Le Samouraï. I really enjoyed it. Alain Delon is just so bleeding cool in this. The dialogue is sparse, but there is just something in his gestures and his look... My God the definition of icy blue eyes, if only he was in the right age bracket to play one of the Bolton's, he'd totally kill it as Roose in particular.

I read a comment on Le Samouraï Criterion page that described his character as '(Literally) a black and white character shot in color.' I wish I had come up with that description, because it fits the character like a glove. Alain Delon's character must have been a major inspiration for Ryan Gosling and Nicholas Winding Refn, because Gosling in Drive heavily borrowed from this film imo.

The cinematography was great as well. Very bleak and stilted, which seems to be  Melville's signature style. L'armée des ombres, which I saw a couple of months ago, went even further in that. I'm curious to see if he keeps that same style in the rest of his work, which I have not seen yet. The story is very opaque. So much so that the film almost feels like an exercise in ellipsis. It certainly is very dreamlike at times, especially when the occasional really abstract scene flashes by [spoiler]like the scenes where he outguns his victims at a frankly impossible speed[/spoiler] I think that might be one of the weaker parts of the film though. The tension is built nicely and the tone is great, but I'm unsure about the ending. There is something that doesn't completely add up.

If anyone here has seen it [spoiler] Jef Costello obviously commits seppuku in the end with his suicide-by-cop at the nightclub, but I'm not completely sure of his motivations. My own interpretation is that Costello wanted to die because he had killed his master, something that is definitely not okay according to Bushido. However, I'm struggling with his reasons for killing the master. Most people either go for the 'he's in love with the pianist explanation' or the 'the pianist didn't rat him out so he repaid his debt to her', both of these explanation are unsatisfactory.  I just did not feel any real connection between the pianist and Costello, so it couldn't have been love. And the pianist was clearly living with the guy who ordered the murders in the first place, so she wasn't doing him a solid. She just didn't want to inform on her squeeze. That means that the debt scenario is also out. 

Another explanation I read was that he wanted to keep Jane, the girl that loved him and he might have loved back, out of harm's way. The thing is though, by pulling that gun in the nightclub, he made it pretty apparent that she lied about his alibi the first time, making her a clear accessory to murder. If the police decided to press charges, she was sure to end up in jail.

The more I think about it, the more I think that Melville's didn't want a clear cut ending to this film. The closest thing I can get is that Costello shot his master as retaliation for ordering his execution earlier in the film. After that, Costello's code doomed him, but he also had to make some sort of attempt at fulfilling his final assignment (i.e. taking out the pianist). Thus, he decided to role his suicide and final attempt into one, seeing that the net was already closing around him. [/spoiler]

I'm pretty sure Zack Snyder thinks otherwise :lol:

The goat people were real right? Please tell me they were :P

[spoiler]

Fifty Shades of Odo. Um, is there a point to this?   [/spoiler]

As a French count, I think he prefers [spoiler]Histoire d'Odo :p [/spoiler]

Honestly, I couldn't take it either.  Was Paris really that impossible?

I do recall him being pretty wimpy yes.

Archived