Watch, Watched, Watching: Give Me All The Bacon & Eggs You Have!

Nox Irradiata

Watched Trainwreck. It is an absolutely by the numbers romantic comedy, which was disappointing because I am a fan of Schumer and was hoping she'd take it someplace different. It had some funny bits in it, so I guess I'd recommend it if you like romantic comedies. The ending was awful though, predictable and terribly executed.

Watched Trainwreck. It is an absolutely by the numbers romantic comedy, which was disappointing because I am a fan of Schumer and was hoping she'd take it someplace different. It had some funny bits in it, so I guess I'd recommend it if you like romantic comedies. The ending was awful though, predictable and terribly executed.

Oh man I felt the same way. Even the dialogue was terrible in most places & it just wasn't funny.

I watched The Tale of Princess Kaguya, the last film by the other Studio Ghibli guy (shamefully, my first one by him - I didn't get into Pom Poko at all and I've been girding myself for Grave of the Fireflies for years). It was very good (and it's unbelievably pretty), but... really odd. The ending in particular. Like it seems to be building up to some moral of the story and then there just isn't one and it all ends

hahaha same here. It's been on my watchlist for years whilst I tell myself repeatedly ''aahh but it's supposed to be so sad and i'm not in the right mood'' 

WHEN IS THERE A RIGHT MOOD 

hahaha same here. It's been on my watchlist for years whilst I tell myself repeatedly ''aahh but it's supposed to be so sad and i'm not in the right mood'' 

I know what you mean, I've seen most of the other Ghibli films but I've never found myself wondering about what to watch next and been tempted to go for a film a friend of mine described as the most depressing film he'd ever seen.

Just watched Foxcatcher. Thought it was just ok. Kind of slow paced, and even somewhat boring at times. Especially as I'm not really interested in the subject matter much. Steve Carell was pretty good though.

Agree. I was pretty excited for this when it first came out but it didn't live up. It was decent but it could've cut like a half hour out of it, really dragged at times. Carell was good but I think I was more impressed with Ruffalo. I think it is worth a watch, though.

There is no right mood. If you've had a good day it could be a bit of a downer on the end of the day and if you're feeling miserable Grave certainly isn't going to help things.

You just need to find when you have the free time for it and say fuck it

Watched Bronson last night. Loved it. Not really unexpected though. I have a soft spot for prison movies, I'm a Tom Hardy fanboy and I loved pretty much everything I have seen of Refn so far. Tom Hardy was great (as he usually is), the violence was vivid (like it usually is in Refn's films) and it was a pretty good indictment of celebrity culture. Also loved the detail that Tom Hardy's moustache was made with the hair of the real Charles Bronson's moustache, which the inmate shore off especially for that goal :)

That being said, as far as Refn's filmography is concerned, it's definitely on the lower end of the spectrum for me. Pusher II, Valhalla Rising, Only God Forgives and Drive were all better than this one. Bronson is perhaps a little better than Pusher, but that's mostly because Pusher was Refn's first film and you really see that he still had to learn a lot.

Placed in Refn's larger body of work, I do think that Bronson is a pretty interesting piece though. In the fight scenes especially you can see how he's evolving as a film maker from his earlier work. The use of colour, the music, the intensity of the violence and just the sense that the film's universe is a heightened version of reality are all hallmarks of his later work. Bronson imo forms the link between the more realistic streak in Refn's Pusher universe and the mindfuckery of later Refn films like Valhalla Rising. Although, to go from Bronson to Valhalla Rising in just a year is still pretty impressive :D

EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention: Is there anyone else who sees the irony in the fame obsessed Charles Bronson taking on the name of the filmstar? I mean he kind of doomed himself to always playing second fiddle to the great actor, as proven by Wikipedia which links you directly to the actor. If you want to read about the prisoner, you have to click on the disambiguation page. I recommend that by the way, there is a lot the film didn't cover. Bronson's fitness regimen for instance is damn impressive.

Yeah, TTSS is a better film but if it's Tom Hardy you're after, Bronson has waaaaaaaay more of him.

Yep, he really lets it all hang out in Bronson

You two weren't kidding :P

Also, Oscar Isaac is pretty great. I've only seen him in two movies (this and Inside Llewyn Davis), but he was great in both of them.

One of the best actors working today. He's also great in A Most Violent Year.

I really like that theory, puts the films in a whole new perspective. When I eventually rewatch, I might do it in that order. Given the ending of TG, TB and TU however it might make for a few surprises in FaFDM :P

Life in the Old West was really hard okay :p If you lived long enough, everyone started to look like Lee Von Cleef :p

Seven Samurai sounds really good, although I do find the runtime a little daunting. I can pay attention for that long if necessary, but I really prefer short-mid length films in general.

Everyone does, few films have business being longer than 120 minutes. Some do though and Seven Samurai is one of them imo :)

MI: Rogue Nation was pretty ace. Probably the best one so far.

[spoiler]I'm not sure why Hollywood thinks that women jumping up on people's heads and choking them out with their thighs or knees is something that happens all the time but Rebecca Ferguson does do it very well and Ilsa Faust, despite the stupid name, is great- I hope she's not just another one-off Hunt girl because she out-Black Widows Black Widow any day of the week. I'd happily watch her in her own movie.

I also liked the simplicity of how they won. No huge complex plan, just drop the bad guy in a glass box.
[/spoiler]

Watching 'Troy' and playing Total War: Rome. I fucking love this movie. I know it's cheesy and terrible, and I know Brad Pitt is horrible but he's so damn hot!!! And Sean Bean's just brooding all over the place. What more could you ask of in a movie!?! Brad Pitt's sexy body slaughters lesser men by the score while Eric Bana's beautiful face is contorted in a visage of horror at the unstoppable force that has been released on his people.

signed, Drunk Jace.

I have a dirty secret, and I have been ashamed to reveal it to you guys... I know that this is horrible, and probably puts all of my taste in media in extreme jeopardy, but I just can't hide from the truth any longer.

I have been binge watching seasons of Big Brother over the summer. Not only have I been doing this behind the backs of you good people, but I have found myself enjoying it. I had never watched the show before this, but a couple of months ago, I wanted mindless entertainment to put on the tube while I played games on my phone. I have now watched 8 US seasons, and 2 Canadian. The casting for this show is a train wreck that is impossible to ignore. 

Watching 'Troy' and playing Total War: Rome. I fucking love this movie. I know it's cheesy and terrible, and I know Brad Pitt is horrible but he's so damn hot!!! And Sean Bean's just brooding all over the place. What more could you ask of in a movie!?! Brad Pitt's sexy body slaughters lesser men by the score while Eric Bana's beautiful face is contorted in a visage of horror at the unstoppable force that has been released on his people.

signed, Drunk Jace.

What? When did Brad Pitt become horrible? 

I wanted mindless entertainment to put on the tube while I played games on my phone. I have now watched 8 US seasons, and 2 Canadian. The casting for this show is a train wreck that is impossible to ignore. 

10 seasons of Big Brother? Oh my days. Reminds me of the time where I watched 3 seasons of Survivor in a month. 

Archived