Video Games: Console War Never Changes

KiDisaster

Is there anywhere to buy the first Mafia nowadays? It's not on the Steam store and the only copy on Amazon is going for $75 at the moment. Google isn't turning up much. 

I only ever played the second one and wasn't too impressed with it. 

I loved the olds King Quest games, as a child.  Nowadays a prince or a king walking around the country side without a sword just doesnt compute.

Unrelated, I decided to spend the weekend in to save money, being the end of the month and all, promptly got bored and ordered a PS4 on Amazon Now for the specific purpose of playing Golf.  I really need to have a word with myself.

[spoiler]I had a feeling it was Jefferson, GeekRemix broke it down very nicely, but I didnt know he was THIS twisted.

I also thought Rachel got stuck in time or something, not...THAT.[/spoiler]

Yeah, I just got around to playing it... Holy hell.

[spoiler]There was something off about the Dark Room which didn't suggest Nathan. It was way too professional. Also, Jefferson was too good at acting (almost) all the time to be what he seemed to be - though he looked a bit high before his announcement. But the game did do a very good job of being subtle about it. Though, I just had the feeling Chloe was gonna die when they went back to the junkyard.

The question is - how do Jefferson and Nathan and the Prescotts work together?

Did you manage to warn Victoria? I did, because, even if she's a huge bitch(because she's insecure, though), no-one deserves what was probably coming to her.[/spoiler]

And we have to wait two more months for the last episode. I don't know if I should be scared as Max in the Dark Room or excited as Warren for GO!APE marathon.

I'm curious about this one too. Never played the original.

Well, there's a certain piece of nostalgia there then that might not work for you, but I looked up the review and it's pretty good.  Apparently one episode ($10) is 8 hours of game play which seems a pretty good value.

Still, I may wait for more episodes to come out.  

Just finished episode 4 of Life is Strange.

[spoiler]Whoa. Effing Jefferson. That final scene was sinister. It was evident that he was up to something, but I didn't expect it to be this involved. Good point, Corwinus, about how orderly and professional the equipment was in the Dark Room. That was a subtle nod to Jefferson that I overlooked. I knew the text from Nathan to Chloe was a setup. I've seen too many movies to miss that, but I thought it would be Nathan and his cronies at the junkyard. Damn. Poor Chloe. I was actually pushing for her and Max to be an item. I have a soft spot for tortured souls. After her dad, and then Rachel, Chloe was easy bait for the Vortex snobs. She went into the junkyard recklessly. I hate that it ended that way but I think it's best for the story. And also, I find it comical that a bunch of 18 year-olds can booze and self-medicate inside the school with a teacher stumbling around like it's no big deal. Can't wait for episode 5.[/spoiler]

Yeah, I just got around to playing it... Holy hell.

[spoiler]There was something off about the Dark Room which didn't suggest Nathan. It was way too professional. Also, Jefferson was too good at acting (almost) all the time to be what he seemed to be - though he looked a bit high before his announcement. But the game did do a very good job of being subtle about it. Though, I just had the feeling Chloe was gonna die when they went back to the junkyard.

The question is - how do Jefferson and Nathan and the Prescotts work together?

Did you manage to warn Victoria? I did, because, even if she's a huge bitch(because she's insecure, though), no-one deserves what was probably coming to her.[/spoiler]

And we have to wait two more months for the last episode. I don't know if I should be scared as Max in the Dark Room or excited as Warren for GO!APE marathon.

[spoiler]I absolutely warned Victoria, after that whole paint mess I knew she wasn't actually a bad person, just ridiculously insecure (there were several other clues in her room too, during episode 1), episode 4 just confirmed it all.

Jefferson's artwork was a pretty big clue as to him being the guy, you could see them in episode 1, all pics of young girls who look out of it and vulnerable and one with a cop standing over someone looking dominant. I also agree with you that it all looked too professional, I was surprised Max didn't figure it out much sooner.

My guess is that Sean Prescott pays Jefferson to be at Blackwell, it would explain why such a famous photographer would settle for being at a school. He gets plenty of girls for his work and Prescott pays him a handsome salary while supplying him with all the drugs and stuff.  Another thing that's possible is that Jefferson is actually related to the Prescotts but they killed the records of it.

I think the whole concept of the Prescotts "ultimate destiny" is just bullshit, from reading the letter Nathan's sister sent him, Sean Prescott inherited money, but not wisdom, he might just be  a very petty tyrant who likes ruining people's lives to make himself feel better. [/spoiler]

[spoiler]I absolutely warned Victoria, after that whole paint mess I knew she wasn't actually a bad person, just ridiculously insecure (there were several other clues in her room too, during episode 1), episode 4 just confirmed it all.

Jefferson's artwork was a pretty big clue as to him being the guy, you could see them in episode 1, all pics of young girls who look out of it and vulnerable and one with a cop standing over someone looking dominant. I also agree with you that it all looked too professional, I was surprised Max didn't figure it out much sooner.

My guess is that Sean Prescott pays Jefferson to be at Blackwell, it would explain why such a famous photographer would settle for being at a school. He gets plenty of girls for his work and Prescott pays him a handsome salary while supplying him with all the drugs and stuff.  Another thing that's possible is that Jefferson is actually related to the Prescotts but they killed the records of it.

I think the whole concept of the Prescotts "ultimate destiny" is just bullshit, from reading the letter Nathan's sister sent him, Sean Prescott inherited money, but not wisdom, he might just be  a very petty tyrant who likes ruining people's lives to make himself feel better. [/spoiler]

[spoiler]Yeah, good. Think of all the people who only saw her as the huge bitch and didn't even try to warn her. Well, all is too much to say, but some have probably done so.

I forgot completely about his artwork, which is another very subtle clue for him being so demented. As for the Dark Room equipment, Max was scared out of her wits and what she saw must have been overwhelming enough as it was for her to notice something was even more off than she thought at first.

Of course. Just, what is Sean getting out of it? Prestige? Or maybe something else?

'ultimate destiny' is nothing but grandiose bullshit, but when you've got people believing things like that about themselves and their family, it is dangerous as fuck.

Miscallenious and perhaps a bit more light-hearted questions - did you go for Max/Chloe to get together or Max/Warren, and did you let Warren beat up Nathan? I went with Max/Warren(I really laughed when he got drunk with a half of a beer), and didn't let him beat up Nathan because seriously, it wouldn't stop Nathan and Warren would have perhaps been a bit scarred from that.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Yeah, good. Think of all the people who only saw her as the huge bitch and didn't even try to warn her. Well, all is too much to say, but some have probably done so.

I forgot completely about his artwork, which is another very subtle clue for him being so demented. As for the Dark Room equipment, Max was scared out of her wits and what she saw must have been overwhelming enough as it was for her to notice something was even more off than she thought at first.

Of course. Just, what is Sean getting out of it? Prestige? Or maybe something else?

'ultimate destiny' is nothing but grandiose bullshit, but when you've got people believing things like that about themselves and their family, it is dangerous as fuck.

Miscallenious and perhaps a bit more light-hearted questions - did you go for Max/Chloe to get together or Max/Warren, and did you let Warren beat up Nathan? I went with Max/Warren(I really laughed when he got drunk with a half of a beer), and didn't let him beat up Nathan because seriously, it wouldn't stop Nathan and Warren would have perhaps been a bit scarred from that.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Went for Chloe/Max, though if you think about it was just a kiss. I stopped Warren from beating the shit out of Nathan (Check the alternative on youtube, it's hilarious)

What is Prescott getting out of it? Well you have to wonder what a businessman would want with a place as insignificant as Archadia Bay to start with, my guess it's just petiness and that he has no significant motive other than douchebaggery. Though it would be a nice twist if he had some subtle connection to Max's power. Imagine if Max is actually one of the girls captured by Jefferson, but she is constantly stuck in a loop because of the dosing+her powers.

BTW, Alternate Chloe mentions getting hit by a prick in an SUV, Nathan drives an SUV...[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Went for Chloe/Max, though if you think about it was just a kiss. I stopped Warren from beating the shit out of Nathan (Check the alternative on youtube, it's hilarious)

What is Prescott getting out of it? Well you have to wonder what a businessman would want with a place as insignificant as Archadia Bay to start with, my guess it's just petiness and that he has no significant motive other than douchebaggery. Though it would be a nice twist if he had some subtle connection to Max's power. Imagine if Max is actually one of the girls captured by Jefferson, but she is constantly stuck in a loop because of the dosing+her powers.

BTW, Alternate Chloe mentions getting hit by a prick in an SUV, Nathan drives an SUV...[/spoiler]

[spoiler] Their relationship could have become something more if Jefferson didn't kill Chloe if you went for it. A friend is coming by my house today to hang out and play Life is Strange and though she'll probably make the same choice as I did, I'll first make the beating happen then rewind.

That would be even more twisted if dosing made her powers go haywire and make a continuous time-loop, like a badly programmed code. Though, the title of the last episode is Polarized, which can lead to some very odd(well, they do sound to me and I'm the one asking them) questions - will she be able to get into the photos of other people's lives to change them? or maybe literally become a camera? or will it be something less or more fantastical? how is she even going to escape the Dark Room? I mean, she is aware of everything that happened, so they can't really let her go like Kate Marsh...

Thanks. That was obvious, even though I think I didn't connect the dots... or maybe I did and don't remember.[/spoiler]

[spoiler] Their relationship could have become something more if Jefferson didn't kill Chloe if you went for it. A friend is coming by my house today to hang out and play Life is Strange and though she'll probably make the same choice as I did, I'll first make the beating happen then rewind.

That would be even more twisted if dosing made her powers go haywire and make a continuous time-loop, like a badly programmed code. Though, the title of the last episode is Polarized, which can lead to some very odd(well, they do sound to me and I'm the one asking them) questions - will she be able to get into the photos of other people's lives to change them? or maybe literally become a camera? or will it be something less or more fantastical? how is she even going to escape the Dark Room? I mean, she is aware of everything that happened, so they can't really let her go like Kate Marsh...

Thanks. That was obvious, even though I think I didn't connect the dots... or maybe I did and don't remember.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I am assuming Jefferson doesn't know about Max's powers and the room will most likely indeed have plenty of photos for Max to focus on and escape through. Warren made a photo just before the duo entered the party, my guess is that Max will get that photo, go back in time and this time they go to the cops instead of go after Nathan at the party.

Im wondering if that Doe is Rachel in spirit form it's appeared in every episode I think.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I am assuming Jefferson doesn't know about Max's powers and the room will most likely indeed have plenty of photos for Max to focus on and escape through. Warren made a photo just before the duo entered the party, my guess is that Max will get that photo, go back in time and this time they go to the cops instead of go after Nathan at the party.

Im wondering if that Doe is Rachel in spirit form it's appeared in every episode I think.[/spoiler]

Plausible. We'll see.

FF1 campaign update: still mostly playing in brief spurts between breakfast and work and between work and dinner prep.

This morning I reached Lich. I'm paused right before starting the fight. Slightly apprehensive because I haven't bothered grinding any since I killed the Vampire, so I'm level 13 now (having gained one level just from normal fighting).

I don't think I was expected to have level 5 spells against the Vampire; HRM3 took off 150 of the Vampire's 156 HP. So I'm hoping that means I'm overleveled or at least appropriate for Lich, since the "recommended levels" list I've been referring to is why I ground up to level 12 for the Vamp. Slightly concerning: I spent 3 of my 4 FIR2s on dangerous trash mobs on the way down. 5 levels is a lot to slog through. But I have one left, plus FIR3 and my white mage's HRM3, and my black mage can fall back on low-level Fire spells once the big guns are exhausted. Most of this damage is probably going to come from my FASTed Fighter and Black Belt anyway. Lich has 400 HP, so this might be a tough fight.

Grandia 2 is getting a HD remake on Steam and GoG. I may have to pony up for that one. I had that for the Dreamcast. Between it, PSO, and Skies of Arcadia it was truly the "Little Console That Could" for me.

I was really disappointed that future Grandia games never lived up to that one for me.

FF1 campaign update: still mostly playing in brief spurts between breakfast and work and between work and dinner prep.

This morning I reached Lich. I'm paused right before starting the fight. Slightly apprehensive because I haven't bothered grinding any since I killed the Vampire, so I'm level 13 now (having gained one level just from normal fighting).

I don't think I was expected to have level 5 spells against the Vampire; HRM3 took off 150 of the Vampire's 156 HP. So I'm hoping that means I'm overleveled or at least appropriate for Lich, since the "recommended levels" list I've been referring to is why I ground up to level 12 for the Vamp. Slightly concerning: I spent 3 of my 4 FIR2s on dangerous trash mobs on the way down. 5 levels is a lot to slog through. But I have one left, plus FIR3 and my white mage's HRM3, and my black mage can fall back on low-level Fire spells once the big guns are exhausted. Most of this damage is probably going to come from my FASTed Fighter and Black Belt anyway. Lich has 400 HP, so this might be a tough fight.

:lol:

You just took me back to fifth grade spring break. I spent multiple entire days at my mom's office at the local community college in an empty office next door to hers with a TV, my NES, and Final Fantasy.

New BattleTech video game coming out from the creators of Shadowrun Returns.

Kickstarter (natch) in September (probably).

Is there anywhere to buy the first Mafia nowadays? It's not on the Steam store and the only copy on Amazon is going for $75 at the moment. Google isn't turning up much. 

I only ever played the second one and wasn't too impressed with it. 

That's because the second game is extremely meeeh. The combat is better than the first game and the city is bigger, but otherwise it was pretty mediocre. Mafia blows it out of the water on every single level. Better characters, better story, better pacing and an absolutely insane body count of major characters. It also has one of my favourite ever moments in gaming:

[spoiler]When a hard-core, violent mission featuring tons of combat suddenly ends with you in a church and the priest comes out and goes completely nuts on your arse for just blowing away dozens of people in and around the place. Your character - a Christian - is then wracked with guilt and horror as the priest points out that you've turned from a relatively normal taxi driver into a psychopath without even realising it. This stuff is more common now, but at the time in a game that (superficially, at least) is a GTA-alike, it was pretty revolutionary.[/spoiler]

Also, for a game released in 2002 it looks absolutely incredible. It was jaw-dropping at the time and is still reasonable today, especially compared to its near-contemporary, GTA3.

It's non-appearance on GoG is apparently because its original publishers, GoD (Gathering of Developers), no longer exist and there's some kind of weird legal limbo going on with the game. I belive GoG and Valve have both been trying to get it out for years.

Is anyone here still playing D3? I've picked up playing with my GF (who is a small-time streamer) and getting into Hardcore seasons. I'm looking for more people to play with to grind out some better gear.

I put it down until the next patch, as I burnt out on it pretty hard. Next patch looks pretty cool though. New area within Act3 (Ruins of Sescheron) and Kanai's Cube which allows you to pull legendary affixes off of weapons/rings/weapons and use them as passive abilities. I will certainly jump back in once the patch releases.

So according to Sony's latest financial report they shipped 3 million PS4's the previous quarter which is 300K more than they shipped in the same quarter last year. That surprises me because I would have expected market saturation at the current price to have kicked in by now, especially with how high PS4 sales have been ever since the start of the generation. The bad news for people wanting a price cut before buying a PS4 is that Sony aren't likely to drop the price if they are seeing sales growth. Cross fingers for a bit of a dive early next year. Surely they can't expect to keep that momentum going for a 3rd year without dropping the price.

Currently getting slaughtered in Risk of Rain, though improving bit by bit.....I think. Not sure if it's me or just having the right items.

edit: Anyone play Super Time Force Ultra for the PC? Was thinking of getting that as my next relaxing side scroller.

So according to Sony's latest financial report they shipped 3 million PS4's the previous quarter which is 300K more than they shipped in the same quarter last year. That surprises me because I would have expected market saturation at the current price to have kicked in by now, especially with how high PS4 sales have been ever since the start of the generation. The bad news for people wanting a price cut before buying a PS4 is that Sony aren't likely to drop the price if they are seeing sales growth. Cross fingers for a bit of a dive early next year. Surely they can't expect to keep that momentum going for a 3rd year without dropping the price.

It's outpacing the PS2 which is pretty amazing.

Archived