Video Games: Console War Never Changes

KiDisaster

I won't likely return to the Arkham world even if they change up and use someone other than Batman as the protagonist.

Rocksteady have basically said this was their last Batman game - and there's lots of rumours suggesting that Justice League will be next.

(Though it's possible the publisher will pull an Arkham Origins and give the series to another developer. I struggle to believe they'll be willing to let the series sit idle)

I enjoyed Batman Middle Earth much more

May I ask why? The thing that stuck out to me while playing Shadow of Arkham was that it was like a less-good Arkham game.
ETA: got distracted in Skyrim (yep, still playing it) and spent longer than I'm willing to admit trying to determine if it has a pole star. It doesn't, as it turns out.

May I ask why? The thing that stuck out to me while playing Shadow of Arkham was that it was a less-good Arkham game.

Shooty shooty, stabby stabby. Orc possession, teleport kills, much easier to get off combat specials. Finishing moves look better (superficial I know, but it's all part of the mix) I just had way more fun with combat and getting around the place. Riding wargs and trolls >> Driving the Batmobile. Fighting on the back of a Warg. The Orc personalities are more fun than the Arkham street thug personalities. If Mordor City is similar to Mordor Assylum I am definitely in.

For the most part in Arkham even though it's open world, most of the time when you're actually in combat the combat arena boxes you in. In Mordor there are not many places where you're boxed in when fighting. You can bravely run away and then reengage. Indeed once you're raised the alert level of the orcs you sometimes have to run away until their alert level drops before you can go back in.

May I ask why? The thing that stuck out to me while playing Shadow of Arkham was that it was like a less-good Arkham game.
ETA: got distracted in Skyrim (yep, still playing it) and spent longer than I'm willing to admit trying to determine if it has a pole star. It doesn't, as it turns out.

I really, really liked the Nemesis system Mordor had.  It added a lot to the game and I enjoyed the more open, freeflowing nature of it compared to Batman.  I just wish it'd been harder and there were more early nemeses.  

I really, really liked the Nemesis system Mordor had.  It added a lot to the game and I enjoyed the more open, freeflowing nature of it compared to Batman.  I just wish it'd been harder and there were more early nemeses.  

The nemesis system, that's what I was trying to remember. I wanted to mention it but couldn't remember what it was called and I was too lazy to find it on the web.

Sadly, this no longer works. Believe me, I tried. It was patched out.

When did that get patched? There are people on GameFAQs who did it as short a time as a month ago. Just make sure not to use the lava bow.

I'd offer to help ya in coop but sadly my PS3 died on me.

Shooty shooty, stabby stabby. Orc possession, teleport kills, much easier to get off combat specials. Finishing moves look better (superficial I know, but it's all part of the mix) I just had way more fun with combat and getting around the place. Riding wargs and trolls >> Driving the Batmobile. Fighting on the back of a Warg. The Orc personalities are more fun than the Arkham street thug personalities. If Mordor City is similar to Mordor Assylum I am definitely in.

For the most part in Arkham even though it's open world, most of the time when you're actually in combat the combat arena boxes you in. In Mordor there are not many places where you're boxed in when fighting. You can bravely run away and then reengage. Indeed once you're raised the alert level of the orcs you sometimes have to run away until their alert level drops before you can go back in.

I disagree on every account haha. We'll have to agree to disagree.

For the record I found the nemesis system fun, but very gimmicky and it didn't have much of an effect on the game.

Well my quest to reach Legend ranking in Hearthstone last season failed. I made it to rank 4 (highest I've yet climbed) with 2 days to go and then went on a MASSIVE losing streak (I hate aggro paladins, I hate aggro paladins, I fucking hate aggro paladins) and ended the season at rank 8. Oh well. New month, new season, new cards coming soon. One day I'll make it. 

My going back to Sunless Sea led me back to the browser game the devs had originally made, Fallen London. It really is a lot of fun. It has all the best parts of Sunless Sea, same world, even more writing, without the incredibly slow gameplay. Instead, there's a completely different type of incredibly slow gameplay! But since its based on timers, I don't need to stay in the game. I can just go to a couple times a day and play for a few minutes. And I appreciate that you can't speed up the timers by paying real money. You can pay real money in the game, but that just unlocks more stories for you to go through (and lets you more easily pass some skill checks); and since the games been continuously updated since 2009, there's a lot of free content available before I'd even think about paying for more.

So far I've got Commando (obviousy :cool4: ), Huntress, Engineer, Acrid, Bandit, and Enforcer. I haven't settled in on any one yet, still getting a feel for the game.

Definitely agree that Infusion makes the game a lot easier, sadly I haven't gotten if too often yet. I'm usually hoping for Jar of Souls plus the heal-when-enemy-is-damaged items.

Goddamn, you've unlocked a lot of characters without having the Sniper, Acrid was the last character I unlocked, for instance.

If you're really looking for a successful run, I'd take Huntress, no other character kites as well as her, although Bandit is completely broken in many different ways as well. It's been a while since I played, have you unlocked the Artifact of Command? Because once you have that, the game becomes so easy it's not even worth playing anymore. (If you lack the self-control to keep it unchecked)

---

Has anyone been enjoying the latest update to SSB4? They added online tourneys, FFA only, but very enjoyable nonetheless. Joined about 5 private 100-players tourneys this weekend alone, never had so much with it to be honest.

Also, Gamescom in two days, looking forward to more Fallout 4 gameplay (expectations aren't high, but I'm still going to buy it and enjoy it) and a new SSB announcement, hopefully new DLC characters.

Has anyone played Rocket League? Pretty fun game that's basically soccer in demolition cars. The pitches are gorgeous and there's plenty of unlockable items. Not too bad for a free price tag.

Has anyone played Rocket League? Pretty fun game that's basically soccer in demolition cars. The pitches are gorgeous and there's plenty of unlockable items. Not too bad for a free price tag.

I did not, but there's some discussion on it a couple pages back of people watching videos of others playing it... a phenomenon that I've never understood. :lol:

I did not, but there's some discussion on it a couple pages back of people watching videos of others playing it... a phenomenon that I've never understood. :lol:

I have close friends who watch fighting games on Twitch all the time. That's when I come up with a lame excuse to go home. Why not just play it?

I have close friends who watch fighting games on Twitch all the time. That's when I come up with a lame excuse to go home. Why not just play it?

I'm not into watching game streams either, but couldn't you say the same thing about sports? I assume it's a similar appeal, though I never got into watching sports. 

The appeal is watching someone who is exceptionally skilled at something do that thing. So yeah, I'd equate it to watching professionals play sports when you could just play the sport yourself.

It only seems more ridiculous because it's newer. I'd be willing to bet that people thought the idea of professional sports was just as laughable when it was first proposed.

"Who would pay money to watch people play football?"

I'm not into watching game streams either, but couldn't you say the same thing about sports? I assume it's a similar appeal, though I never got into watching sports. 

I can't agree to that. I see what you're saying but video games are something I can go and experience myself in a fairly easy way, and without being a professional. I don't have the capability of playing professional sports. Playing sports in the backyard doesn't equate to going and playing the same game that a streamer is playing.

I can't agree to that. I see what you're saying but video games are something I can go and experience myself in a fairly easy way, and without being a professional. I don't have the capability of playing professional sports. Playing sports in the backyard doesn't equate to going and playing the same game that a streamer is playing.

To be fair, you likely don't have the capability to play, say, professional Starcraft either. Playing that game even at an above average level does not equate to the types of things the pros can do. 

But like I said, it's new so it's weird. That's how things have always worked. E-sports gets bigger every year (pretty sure LCS games are getting more live viewers on average than NHL and MLB games now or so I heard). Give it time, eventually no one will even bat an eye at it anymore because everyone will have grown up with it already being a thing. :dunno:

The appeal is watching someone who is exceptionally skilled at something do that thing. So yeah, I'd equate it to watching professionals play sports when you could just play the sport yourself.

It only seems more ridiculous because it's newer. I'd be willing to bet that people thought the idea of professional sports was just as laughable when it was first proposed.

"Who would pay money to watch people play football?"

No they probably didn't. Shows of athleticism have always been appreciated and well received since the Greeks invented the Olympics. 

Edit: Not that I disagree with you on what you're saying about e-sports, but it will take some time.

Archived