Video Games: Console War Never Changes

KiDisaster

I started playing Shadowrun Returns, I bought it cheap on a sale last fall butt haven't gotten around to it until now. I'm only 2-3 hours into but so far I really like, although generally turn-based RPGs have never been my style. I also got Dragonfall lined up for a later playthrough.

Somehow I was under the impression that the first one was a cancelled game. Was it ever released on PC, or just XBox? 
With CA doing it, I may be interested. Total War is still my favorite franchise, and CA proved they can do other games (Alien Isolation).

I think if they want the game to do well they'll need to put it on PC. Halo is past its peak as a franchise, and games not in the FPS genre are only selling OK on Xb one. RTS is not a natural fit on consoles, and while the Halo name would have helped Halo wars sell pretty well the first time around, people who are not really into RTS games (which is pretty much all console gamers who aren't also PC gamers) are probably not going to go for Halo Wars 2 in a big way.

I could be wrong, but I think not having a PC version would be a mistake.

Yeah it's coming out on PC and Xbox. I think the first one did moderately well, but that was definitely mostly because of the "Halo" name. It didn't really bring anything new to the table but I still enjoyed the multiplayer as I said.
I will say that the pre-rendered cutscenes were very impressive at the time.

I started playing Shadowrun Returns, I bought it cheap on a sale last fall butt haven't gotten around to it until now. I'm only 2-3 hours into but so far I really like, although generally turn-based RPGs have never been my style. I also got Dragonfall lined up for a later playthrough.

Dragonfall is awesome. Three times better than the first game, just make sure you have the director's cut

World of Warcraft: Legion is the new xpac. Burning legion is back again in a truly surprising development :P 

Shattered Isles or Broken Isles or something is the new continent. Level cap raised to 110. New class: Demon hunter. 36 Artifact weapons, one for each class spec, are in the game. (Example, Ret pallys get Ashbringer, Enhancement shamans get Doomhammer) Each one has it's own trait tree to upgrade them as well as visual customization options. Each class will have it's own Order Hall. 

The artifact weapons actually look pretty cool. I'll probably be picking it up and rolling a demon hunter along with everyone else when it comes out. No release date announced so far.

So the new WoW expansion is going to be announced in just over an hour. Somehow I still get excited about this sort of thing even though I haven't been able to really get back into the game since Cataclysm. Played WoD for a bit and didn't enjoy it, general consensus of the people still playing is it's the worst expansion they've done. Can't say I disagree based on my limited experience with it. 

I'm hoping there's a new class or race this time around. If so I might pick this one up too. Other than that I probably won't bother.

Really?

Everyone seemed to really love it at launch and thought it was the best one in awhile.

World of Warcraft: Legion is the new xpac. Burning legion is back again in a truly surprising development :P

Shattered Isles or Broken Isles or something is the new continent. Level cap raised to 110. New class: Demon hunter. 36 Artifact weapons, one for each class spec, are in the game. (Example, Ret pallys get Ashbringer, Enhancement shamans get Doomhammer) Each one has it's own trait tree to upgrade them as well as visual customization options. Each class will have it's own Order Hall. 

The artifact weapons actually look pretty cool. I'll probably be picking it up and rolling a demon hunter along with everyone else when it comes out. No release date announced so far.

This sounds even more desperate then the Panda expansion.

Everyone seemed to really love it at launch and thought it was the best one in awhile.
Yeah, that's true.

Then they played it.

Most people are pretty annoyed by it. The garrison thing went from 'hey, free stuff' to 'the only thing I have time to do is log in and get my free stuff'. No one was in the cities. Ashran as a hub sucked. There was very little reason to do heroics at all, and so no one actually does them past getting the gear for LFR or raiding. It plays a lot more like a F2p facebook farming game than an actual game for a lot of folks. Rep grinding was the worst that it's been in a long time. Professions got nerfed to hell and became boring as hell, and having to do things like the barn became almost essential - which meant a ton of people were grinding out boring mobs over and over again. 

The leveling was really good - but that doesn't last long. 

We stopped playing after the 6.2. In theory it added a ton of fun content, but it felt like even more grindy stuff. The ship combat was lame. The outdoor stuff is a bit more fun, but still pretty grindy. The new raid is by all accounts neat. 

Really?

:dunno:

I'm just going off what I'm seeing on the forums and the subreddit.

I only played for a bit, leveled my warlock to like 97 and then got bored and quit again.

I think the hype died quickly. It had the fastest sub drop of any expansion, and is currently at 5.6 mil, lowest since 2005. 

Ha, wow. There were people who resubbed here and everything as I remember.

I guess the honeymoon ended not long after I stopped paying attention.

The new raid is by all accounts neat.

Eh. I find a lot fights to be super obnoxious. Lots of dubiously-hitboxed fire. Lots of fights that encourage players to outrange healers because the room is so big and the fire so erratic. And a pretty major difficulty spike from heroic BRF to *normal* Hellfire, with no significant improvement in loot to push you through. And, like, little annoying touches like on Gorefiend when you get sucked into the Cthun's-stomach thing the fancy animation stuns you for like 10 seconds while you watch the raid die.

My group probably suffers a lot from the raid size scaling being unbalanced; we usually have about 12, and by all reports, the larger your group, the easier you have it.

I really enjoyed the 6.1 raid (Blackrock Foundry). This one not so much.

So yeah... no level cap in Fallout 4...

It's like they're seriously trying to make Fallout "Elder Scrolls with guns"... what a shame.

No level cap in ES wasn't my issue with the game. The story just felt so dry. I don't mind F4 doing it as long as the enemies level with you.

The level cap in Fallout 3 was moronic. You hit it long before you finished the game even without any grinding. Even with Broken Steel you'd soon max it out again. New Vegas handled level advancement much better, and you'd have to pretty seriously do everything in the games and the expansions to hit the cap.

Anyway, Mafia III looks superb. It's more open world than the first two, and you have more control over how your gang operates and expands. You have more choice over what missions to do and you can take over the city through intrigue, stealth and cunning, or full-scale violence. And the city is a real one this time: New Orleans, 1968. The soundtrack will be fucking dope (unless they were total idiots, it'd be hard for it not to be). The main character is also mixed-race, and the game will explore some of the racial tensions and politics of the time. More interesting is the fact that the game will not be glorifying the Mafia this time around (the first two didn't really, but at moments they did note the romanticism of the stories) and the Mafia will in fact be the enemy for most of the game. One Mafia faction will ally with yours, and this faction will be led by Vito, the main character from Mafia II.

All-in-all, it sounds pretty good.

Meanwhile, Mirror's Edge: Catalyst looks bloody great, hopefully the Portal 2 to the original's Portal.

Archived