Fear the Walking Dead: Our hopes and dreams for the Series. (Now Spoiler Friendly).

Alia of the knife

The cop packing water into his car had me thinking. What do you do if you're a cop and the world is going to shit? Do you desert to look after your family first? Or do you stay on duty, helping others while your family could be dying at the hands of zombies, marauding looters, or dying of thirst when the water supply gets cut off/contaminated?

The cops will be the first to know what is going on, and will likely try to use that information to best protect their own families. Much like our group's first reaction was to gather their own family together and get the hell out of Dodge.

Reminded me of the scene from World War Z where the exact same thing happens. People are looting a store and a cop comes in and everyone stops what they're doing and has this "oh shit" look on their face, and then the cop just starts grabbing everything he can carry.

Why would a cop act like a super hero during the collapse of humanity more than anyone else? They're human beings with families just like all of us. When there is no more law and order, you no longer have the obligation to uphold it. That doesn't mean you become an insane person, but family and survival becomes the #1 priority,

Nick is the Drug Addict.

Liza didn't seem that bad once she realised Travis wasn't just unreasonably turning up at her house. Chris does seem a bit of a dick though.

I agree, Liza seemed exceedingly reasonable.  Before Travis explained, her annoyance with him basically just told us what their relationship had been like prior to the start of the series; typical post divorce custody disagreements. 

The cop packing water into his car had me thinking. What do you do if you're a cop and the world is going to shit? Do you desert to look after your family first? Or do you stay on duty, helping others while your family could be dying at the hands of zombies, marauding looters, or dying of thirst when the water supply gets cut off/contaminated?

The cops will be the first to know what is going on, and will likely try to use that information to best protect their own families. Much like our group's first reaction was to gather their own family together and get the hell out of Dodge.

At this stage in the game, there's a fine balance on what sort of difference it will make for public servants to start deserting.  It's not the cop's fault that things are falling to shit.  Someone higher up made the decision not to release info about this virus to the public.  It's clear they've known about it for at least a short while and even a small news blurb could have made things significantly better.  All people are seeing and hearing in LA is that cops have been shooting unarmed people.  However, now there is a riot and on the one hand they need people to help keep it contained, on the other hand, the cops in this country would just serve to add to the body and zombie count.  

So, it's a toss up.  I think it would probably make sense for the cops who are no longer containing out of control crowds to both help get their family to safety while also doing what they can to maintain order as much as possible.  So if they are at a store stocking up on water, maybe use a bit of authority to keep people in line and do what they can to prevent theft so others have a chance to get supplies.  

Of course, a cop who is in uniform and joins in on the looting and such is just going to contribute to the panic and mayhem.  Nothing scarier than a cop out of control.  

As Myrrdin said, I'm totally fine with people not telling others what they've seen - whether Zombies exist as a pop culture phenomenon or not. I suggest people with 17 year old children conduct a test on Friday evening. When they want to go out, try telling them they have to stay home because you saw a zombie kill some-one earlier - see how far that gets you. This sort of shit simply has to be seen/experienced to be believed. So I can totally understand why people would be hesitant to tell others - because there's no chance they will be believed.

Wait. The neighbors got attacked?? Damnit! I've got to stop multi-tasking and pay more attention when I'm watching these shows.

ETA: I'm strangely elated that the neighbors got attacked - them and their stupid lawn party...

I'd suggest you go back and watch the final couple of minutes again, ToL. That really was one of the more intense/horrifying zombie deaths on the WD shows (in part because so little was actually shown)

Agreed with the ex-wife behaving reasonably. I was planning to comment/explain, but others have already done so.

I also believe the daughter behaved very reasonably. While I'm fine with why her parents didn't say "hey... don't go out, there's zombies out there", look at it from her point of view. Her boy-friend is obviously seriously ill, possibly dying and has been left all alone. And all she's been given is vague hints and orders to stay home. Damn straight she was taking him some soup. She'd have to be a complete [gendered insult] if she couldn't even do that for him while he's lying there dying.

The trouble is [i]we[]/i] know zombies are real (in that world) and[i]we[/i] know what is best for them to do in that situation. But we can't assume that the characters know everything we do.

What struck me was the incredible suddenness of the collapse. From a few random walkers that no one has really noticed, to full scale riots in the blink of an eye. All over a cop shooting a perceived helpless homeless guy.

I actually think the breakdown is moving a little too fast.  Or at least it seems out of proportion to the level of walker related incidents we've seen/heard about.  I mean, so far, the only widely publicized occurrence has been the youtube video, which people are as likely as not to assume a fake.  Even assuming that there have been a lot of isolated, unreported (except by rumor/word of mouth/twitter/whathaveou), walker incidences, where is the societal breakdown level of panic coming from?  

It still seems like the vast majority of people would have no real clue about walkers yet, and already the power and phone grids are shutting down?  Is it that order is crumbling because of rioters and the ZA is just sort of quietly following along in the wake of that?  

Or are we supposed to assume that everywhere, all over LA, people are gradually and privately awakening to the threat in the same way that our family has been introduced to it?  I mean, that would make sense, because people are dying all over the place, all the time.  But I just don't feel like we've seen enough evidence of that happening.  Or at least the public awareness of that happening doesn't really jibe with the public reaction to invincible homeless people being shot to...er...not death in the streets.  

So I guess I can't reconcile a public that is so panicked by reanimating corpses that they stay home from their job at the power company, only to get outraged at the police for shooting a poor defenseless homeless man who simply doesn't want to die.  

Also, its still the same day as when the daughter was sent home from school after watching the youtube video, right?  

As Myrrdin said, I'm totally fine with people not telling others what they've seen - whether Zombies exist as a pop culture phenomenon or not. I suggest people with 17 year old children conduct a test on Friday evening. When they want to go out, try telling them they have to stay home because you saw a zombie kill some-one earlier - see how far that gets you. This sort of shit simply has to be seen/experienced to be believed. So I can totally understand why people would be hesitant to tell others - because there's no chance they will be believed.

No one would believe zombies since as far as we know it's biologically impossible.  However, there is some information that can be conveyed that would help get the point across that there is something dangerous happening.  "Hey 17-year-old, there is this weird unknown sickness going around.  No one knows what it is but we have some ideas on method of transmission. The virus appears to attack the brain and seems to make sufferers extremely violent, which aids in the spread since it requires breaking of the skin.  Please stay home.  It's difficult to fight off attackers.  Plus, there are riots making it doubly dangerous.  I need to get some items and when I get back we'll talk more.  Look after your brother. While I'm out, I'll drive by and check to see if the ambulance has made it to your boyfriend's house. "

This makes so much more sense than to say nothing.  

I'm ignorant.   But it seems the zombies would be getting shot down hard a few times a day.   And right now in 'merica all it takes is 2 hard shootings in the space of a month and it sends the nation over the edge, Into The Zone as Britney Spears would say.   So if you had shootings of unarmed homeless guy right after homeless wench followed immediately by Raider Nation guy and then Casual Business Attire lady, all  being shot hard in the space of a single morning, it'd probably toss the Angelinos' collective mental salad to the point of perturbation and beyond.   The Inland Empire would be all in a tizzy.  And then the riot wouldn't really.... stop, because the zombies wouldn't stop coming so the fires of fear and rage and confusion would be continually stoked and there'd be no time to cool down and reflect, no refractory period from hot mob mentality and I think repeated revvings of our inner animal engine would get our crazy motors purring real good.   All the people who talk about La Revolucion would be like, "Yea?  I got my wish?... (!).... How come it's not as cool as I .... owww!   Jeremy, that's my leg!"

I didn't think it was the same day either.

The phone services are still working, just very haphazardly because of the heavy traffic on them. As for power it's affected, but significant areas of LA still had power in that establishing shot.

The riot seems bad because it's pretty much the perfect walker scenario. Most of the other places are probably escalating more gradually, like the neighbour situation.

No one would believe zombies since as far as we know it's biologically impossible.  However, there is some information that can be conveyed that would help get the point across that there is something dangerous happening.  "Hey 17-year-old, there is this weird unknown sickness going around.  No one knows what it is but we have some ideas on method of transmission. The virus appears to attack the brain and seems to make sufferers extremely violent

Maybe I'm misremembering here - but I think they said pretty miuch exactly this. When the were at the bf's hourse, they said "the virus that's going around makes people really violent". Or maybe it was the hubby that told that to the ex-wife, I'm not entirely sure.

Bottom line, is they can't get across the gravity of the situation without explaining how they know and what they've seen. And that's not going to be believed. So they do say there's some dangerous shit going down, but don't talk about what they've experienced.

Plus, there are riots making it doubly dangerous. 

What riots? The ones that happened (about) 6 hours later? It was day time when they went out and it was evening/night when the riots broke out.

I didn't think it was the same day either.

It is the same day, I just checked.  Ep 2 starts with Alicia walking home in the same outfit she had on when she gets out for the half day.

Also, it seems like the actual zombie virus can have some real, life threatening symptoms?  We never saw these stages of the ZA in tWD to know, but there has been talk of people being sick with flu-like symptoms.  I think that was the explanation for low attendance at the school for the last couple of days, and could maybe explain a bit of the infrastructure breakdown.  Only, we haven't actually seen anyone with flu-like symptoms, except the car packing neighbor guy, who apparently died and turned within the next couple of hours.  Sooo...zombie virus can kill all on its own?  Or was CPNG also/already bit?  

I don't think Nick faked his seizure. The water fountain of vomit sort of convinced me. He could have choked if Alicia hadn't come back in. I considered that they were going to kill him in that way.

Having been a teenage and raised two, I believe that explaining why she needed to stay in would have worked better than a blanket stay in order. Teenagers don't do so well with orders, especially one like Alicia, who is about to leave for College. Then again I don't write the show. I just watch it. :)

Maybe I'm misremembering here - but I think they said pretty miuch exactly this. When the were at the bf's hourse, they said "the virus that's going around makes people really violent". Or maybe it was the hubby that told that to the ex-wife, I'm not entirely sure.

Bottom line, is they can't get across the gravity of the situation without explaining how they know and what they've seen. And that's not going to be believed. So they do say there's some dangerous shit going down, but don't talk about what they've experienced.

What riots? The ones that happened (about) 6 hours later? It was day time when they went out and it was evening/night when the riots broke out.

No, they didn't say anything about what the virus was about.  Just that the bf was sick and could be contagious.  Which was quite obvious, considering he was coughing and sweaty.  But most people would assume infection or flu or something.  They sent her out of the room when they looked at and discussed the bite.  Then nothing else was mentioned to her.  Seriously, all they needed to do was provide some sort of information beyond what they did.  They can explain the violence of the virus without mentioning that a dead person came back to life or that Nick's rantings were valid.  Otherwise you get Alicia trying to take chicken soup to her bf because she thinks he has the flu since apparently that's been going around. 

You're right about the riots, but clearly there was already unrest in the city.  

I don't think Nick faked his seizure. The water fountain of vomit sort of convinced me. He could have choked if Alicia hadn't come back in. I considered that they were going to kill him in that way.

Having been a teenage and raised two, I believe that explaining why she needed to stay in would have worked better than a blanket stay in order. Teenagers don't do so well with orders, especially one like Alicia, who is about to leave for College. Then again I don't write the show. I just watch it. :)

He was vomiting despite the seizure because of his withdrawal from heroin, but you may be correct regardless. I think that the scene was purposefully left open for speculation. One thing for sure though is that I will continue to watch Nick to see if he uses any other forms of manipulation. 

One thing about Madison not telling Alicia anything is that I am fairly positive it is implied that something was conveyed to her, yet it was rather vague. This could have occurred off screen.

I liked this episode quite a bit. Better than last week.

One thing that struck me about the lack of communication between characters is that the parents seemed to be telling as much as they knew. They don't have answers to give beyond what they already have.

Also, keep in mind that the mother just brutally killed her boss, someone she seemed to have a pretty good relationship with. How do you explain that to your child when you don't have any answers yourself?

One other thing, to our eyes things are moving slowly, but it's only been like two days in their world.

Eta

Anyone know why they aren't showing a new episode next week?

Seeing Raylan, Rachel and the others from the Marshal Service and Boyd Crowder and his gang fighting walkera would be awesome.

Dewey would be awesome.

I liked this episode quite a bit. Better than last week.
One thing that struck me about the lack of communication between characters is that the parents seemed to be telling as much as they knew. They don't have answers to give beyond what they already have.
Also, keep in mind that the mother just brutally killed her boss, someone she seemed to have a pretty good relationship with. How do you explain that to your child when you don't have any answers yourself?
One other thing, to our eyes things are moving slowly, but it's only been like two days in their world.
Eta
Anyone know why they aren't showing a new episode next week?

My best guess is the holiday weekend. Labor Day.

I liked this episode. Really digging little Tobias. I'm not so off put by the characters not relaying info to each other. My irk this episode is the fact that both parents separated from each other and the mom left the kids alone. Granted, they are older kids but even still I would never separate from my family. In a city as large as LA the likelihood of finding each other would be slim. The traffic alone would be unsurmountable.

I will have to re watch the episode because if the rioting is supposed to be downtown they have severely misrepresented the demographics. Honestly, I think the virus would spread far more quickly than what the show portrays. We are packed like sardines here, there is no personal space. Maybe it might take longer to get to the cities on the edge of LA county but I doubt it. Literally, it would take one accident on any freeway that ends in a fatality to spark an outbreak.

Can't even imagine NYC during a ZA. I haven't decided if being in an island would ok or horrible.

He was vomiting despite the seizure because of his withdrawal from heroin, but you may be correct regardless. I think that the scene was purposefully left open for speculation. One thing for sure though is that I will continue to watch Nick to see if he uses any other forms of manipulation.

The write up for his character said he was the "Shane" equivalent of this series. Streetwise and able to think on his feet to get things done. So I'm pretty sure he was using some manipulation, yes. But for a good cause.

Once he is clean of drugs I reckon he is going to come into his own in the zombie apocalypse.

Archived