Dating: Not just for mating

I'm an ENFP, which seems to be a kind of odd one out on the forum.  It's weird because I never see myself as an extrovert, and yet pretty much everyone I know says that I am.  I don't put much (or any) stock in it though.  I just find it hard to believe that compatibility between people can truly be determined by some 4 letter breakdown.

ENFPs in my experience are generally awesome people (again, not putting too much stock in MBTI, but it has its uses).

I'm yet another INTP. 

Unless your are using sophisticated methods, looking at the Meyers-Briggs scoring and how it relates to others is tricky at best and pop psychology at worst.  It is a little easier when you use it more as a tool of self-examination (An understanding on HOW you do things.).  Like, I am an INFJ (I have taken the actual Meyers-Briggs twice, the first time was in college, INFP; about 15 years later, an INFJ.  It's amazing how getting married, a job and owning a house changes one's perspective.  Anyways.)

Two common misconceptions is that when you rate somewhere on the Meyers-Briggs, you don't have those other qualities; the other is that these ratings are on a spectrum.  The I and the E is, in part, how we express ourselves to the world and handle information.  When I look at my score (INFJ).  My introversion comes through when I am engaging in tasks that require Sensing and Thinking.  In essence your stronger I or E links up with your weaker N or S/T or F.

My extroversion comes through when I am expressing my Feelings and utilizing my own internal reasoning (iNtuition).  So, for instance, when I show up to a new event and place.  I am polite, but I take some time to myself getting a feel of the area, letting myself learn the information about a place and getting comfortable.  I then tend to engage others, allowing a greater range of expression.

(I am not getting into the J and P stuff as that is a little more complicated and this is not my area of study and I cannot do it appropriate justice.)

Anywho, little bit of a derail.

Same. I saw a fair number of people who put their Myers-Briggs type in their OKC profile, and maybe this is unfair of me but it put me off messaging them, just like it would if they'd expressed a belief in astrology.

When I used OKCupid, almost everyone I saw on there who mentioned Myers-Briggs used one of two phrases "I'm ___, for what it's worth"/"I'm ___, if you care about that sort of thing". It was really weird - like there was a template somewhere they were using or something. Anyone else see something like that?

ST

I'm with Ini 100%. But I am also terribly annoyed by the prevalence of talking about being an "introvert" on the Internet like it is something special that needs to be explained to people. If it's a two ended spectrum HALF of everyone is an introvert, we don't need you special snowflaking about it with an article a day telling the rest of us that sometimes you prefer to stay home.

I'm with Ini 100%. But I am also terribly annoyed by the prevalence of talking about being an "introvert" on the Internet like it is something special that needs to be explained to people. If it's a two ended spectrum HALF of everyone is an introvert, we don't need you special snowflaking about it with an article a day telling the rest of us that sometimes you prefer to stay home.

Plus, this is the internet so probably significantly more than half the people reading it are also introverts.

Dating sites have been a disaster for me, more by my own fault than anything though.

Got matched up with very interesting and attractive girls, one was incredibly brilliant. We sent each other page-long messages for about a month and half, it felt very personal and all, she then asked to meet up in person for a beer during the winter holidays, I agreed, asked when she was available, and then got no answer...

Decided I'd give her a two week deadline for an answer, as I was starting to give up, having been recontacted by a girl I had vanished on a year earlier, I thought it might be smarter to put all of my eggs in a single basket. She answered me on the last day of my arbitrary deadline, but I never took the time to log back into OKC and read it, I'm too cowardly for that. I feel like I should go back on there to get closure, but I don't know, I believe I'd feel bad whatever her answer was... if it was positive, I'd feel guilty, if negative, I'd feel rejected.

I feel guilty as fuck, she was a very sweet girl...

I'm an ENFP, which seems to be a kind of odd one out on the forum.  It's weird because I never see myself as an extrovert, and yet pretty much everyone I know says that I am.  I don't put much (or any) stock in it though.  I just find it hard to believe that compatibility between people can truly be determined by some 4 letter breakdown.

I've seen ENFPs described as the most introverted of the extroverts. 

I've seen ENFPs described as the most introverted of the extroverts. 

Now THAT makes sense.  I've actually been working on being more extroverted lately, forcing myself to introduce myself to people when I don't know them and we're all talking in the same circle.  I used to avoid those situations like the plague, but I find just doing something small like that has helped in just interacting with more people; which applies heavily to dating and making new friends.

Sorta true.....one thing that is interesting is that, I want to say since the 50s or 60s, there has been a push in education that has been more focused towards rating people on scales with qualities that come more naturally to extroversion.  With the rise of the internet and social media, introverts are being given a platform that is comfortable for them to push themselves into the social sphere and react against this push.  (I have a little idea of what this like, because my entire family are extroverts and I was the one that was not, it sucked.)  On the other hand, you get these "special snowflake" articles which really are getting silly.

If anyone is interested in some reading on it, I recommend the book Quiet.  Easy read and interesting.  I find the implications of the boomers really pushing away a generation or two of introverts is pretty interesting.  

Had a delicious and very pleasant dinner with one of my models. Attractive, many many common interests, and I like to think we had a bit of a spark there. She dates mainly girls (no, this is not the death metal lesbian, this is another lesbian) but sees guys occasionally. She's poly, though, and while that's not a hardline dealbreaker for me, it's about 80% of the way to a dealbreaker for me. Not sure if I want to pursue it, or what "it" would look like if I did.

Was just getting a bit of deja vu there, then you went and said 'Quiet'. :)

Agree with Kay on the MB stuff. Same as telling me your horoscope - if you're big into that stuff we probably wouldn't be compatible. So it's a good thing to mention that up front I guess. Yeah, keep on doing it.

Had a delicious and very pleasant dinner with one of my models. Attractive, many many common interests, and I like to think we had a bit of a spark there. She dates mainly girls (no, this is not the death metal lesbian, this is another lesbian) but sees guys occasionally. She's poly, though, and while that's not a hardline dealbreaker for me, it's about 80% of the way to a dealbreaker for me. Not sure if I want to pursue it, or what "it" would look like if I did.

Ride it out and see where it goes, I say. If you know a poly arrangement is not for you, then that should come up in a conversation if things get any more serious than a dinner date, and she can tell you more about how she sees things in terms of that arrangement. 

I actually did see someone who answered the "what's your sign" question on OKC with "______, and it matters a lot." I did not message them.

A few months ago I was having a decent chat on OKC, and then she said "OMG, I just read your favorite foods, and I could totally tell just from that, that you are SUCH a Taurus."  Apparently sweet potatoes, bacon, aritchokes, cheese, beer and tequila are huge in with the Tauruses (Taurri?)

Have to admit it kind of killed my interest.

Probably bringing the new gf to a family wedding first week of September.   And yes, she's a Sagitarrius, duh. 

A few months ago I was having a decent chat on OKC, and then she said "OMG, I just read your favorite foods, and I could totally tell just from that, that you are SUCH a Taurus."  Apparently sweet potatoes, bacon, aritchokes, cheese, beer and tequila are huge in with the Tauruses (Taurri?)

Probably bringing the new gf to a family wedding first week of September.   And yes, she's a Sagitarrius, duh. 

Sagittarius is definitely the sweetest sounding sign though man, so hell yeah.

I don't need to read articles on being introverted and I don't read them, but in my dating experience, dating people who are significantly more extroverted than me doesn't work out well. Hell, it drives me crazy that my best friend is extroverted because we never want to do any of the same things after work, and I've found that in dating people around here it really doesn't work. You have some dude who's an extrovert but spends all day in front of a computer wanting to get out at the end of the day, and me who spends all day in front of people and just wants to stay in. I don't need to identify myself though on OKC; it comes out pretty well in the questions if I filter well.

I just wish there were a nightmare date section. I think for me it would be something like going to some sort of improv session or drum circle or some shit where you're expected to talk about your feelings a lot. And I actually like improv and go to classes with a friend. I just don't want to talk about feelings!

Was just getting a bit of deja vu there, then you went and said 'Quiet'. :)

Agree with Kay on the MB stuff. Same as telling me your horoscope - if you're big into that stuff we probably wouldn't be compatible. So it's a good thing to mention that up front I guess. Yeah, keep on doing it.

Sorry?   :frown5:

Ride it out and see where it goes, I say. If you know a poly arrangement is not for you, then that should come up in a conversation if things get any more serious than a dinner date, and she can tell you more about how she sees things in terms of that arrangement. 

Yep, no harm in sharing food.  Unless she has a cold or something.

Same. I saw a fair number of people who put their Myers-Briggs type in their OKC profile, and maybe this is unfair of me but it put me off messaging them, just like it would if they'd expressed a belief in astrology.

Or phrenology. I worked for a major engineering firm that required it's new employees to attend a MB seminar. Nail in US tech advantage coffin.

Sagittarius for the win.

I have some interest in astrology and numerology, tarot and the like, but it's not a massive part of my life. I'm mostly skeptical, but I still like exploring it.

I also like to know which patronus I would have (a phoenix), so there's that I guess. :P

Archived