Batman and Superman III : Batfleck Rises

The King in Black

It was part of the Man of Steel reboot in the 80s (which seemed to be the starting point for the first movie at least) that Lex was turned from a businessman into the world's foremost scientist.  But still, a scientist is a bit different than a tech nerd a la, em, Zuckerberg.  I'm not loving his portrayal in the trailer either.

It was part of the Man of Steel reboot in the 80s (which seemed to be the starting point for the first movie at least) that Lex was turned from a businessman into the world's foremost scientist.  But still, a scientist is a bit different than a tech nerd a la, em, Zuckerberg.  I'm not loving his portrayal in the trailer either.

You talking about the John Byrne comic Man of Steel? Cause I'm pretty sure that flipped it the other way around. The Golden Age Luthor was a science geek. Byrne rebooted him into a wealthy industrialist. I think specifically a Military Industrial Complex sort of CEO. 

Yeah; for me, the Motherfucking Clancy Brown as Lex Luthor from the Superman/JLU cartoon is the best version of Lex, period. Calculating, intelligent, patient, smart, charming and a magnificent bastard. 

Right now, Eisenberg doesn't have the gravitas. To be fair, neither did Spacey or Hackman (though Spacey almost got there), but I really want Luthor to be a bit less...goofy and eccentric. 

Preach it.  Few do menace better than Clancy Brown.  

You talking about the John Byrne comic Man of Steel? Cause I'm pretty sure that flipped it the other way around. The Golden Age Luthor was a science geek. Byrne rebooted him into a wealthy industrialist. I think specifically a Military Industrial Complex sort of CEO. 

Huh. Well, alright. The important thing to take from that post is that I don't like Eisenberg as Luthor. :P

That's a much more fair complaint to have. I can definitely see how some would hate this portrayal. 

Actually,  Lex Luthor used to be a goofy mad scientist,  before being rebooted to being a businessman.  And , interestingly, I also found out recently that at some point he had shitty hair exactly like Eisenberg's. So maybe that's what they're going for (then again they already released bald, intense Eisenberg's photos , so who knows what they're up to )

I like to think the Lex Luthor we are seeing is the shell, the façade. Much like if you peel back Zuckerbergs face you will find heartless evil the likes of which the world has never known.

I'll let it season. But then again, I don't care about LL.

I'm a big fan of what Byrne did with Lex in the reboot. 

I also like what he did with Lex in his Generations series. Byrne gets Lex.

God, Eisenberg seemed so awful in that trailer. What's next, Michael Cera?

I quite liked him. A bit of a Joker vibe to his portrayal, which I like.

Generally this trailer was not quite as stirring as the last one, but this still looks excellent to me.

Well, Lex Luthor is never an interesting character IMO, so any take that's a bit different is perfectly fine for me.

And that said, very much looking forward to Leto's Joker in Suicide Squad ( since The Joker does not seem to appear in this film).

I showed the trailer to my wife, who never read comics but enjoys sci fi and most of the superhero movies out so far. The trailer really sold it for her. She commented especially liking Eisenberg's Luthor. 

Personally, I think Eisenberg's Lex works, even if different than other incarnations. In that scene where Clark and Bruce met, Lex was wearing a mask too. Makes you wonder if he didn't already know the identities of SM and BM.

Completely random trivia: Does anyone remember that Pepsi girl from the late 90's with the huge dimples? She's Jesse's sister. 

I now return you to the normal level of complaining over a comic movie.

Archived