Your Random ASOIAF/TWOIAF/D&E Opinions, Confessions and Dirty Secrets, (making the) 8. [The Seven was cursed]

JonCon's Red Beard

1 minute ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

I agree to a point, but I think Martin's going to subvert our expectations by revealing Euron as a huge poser. Basically, the thing that stops me from hating Euron's over the topness as I do Ramsay's is that unlike Ramsay he's barely in the books. I think he's one of those characters who are only good in small amounts?

That would be interesting.  I didn't mind Ramsay, I thought his crazy sadism was well grounded in his back story, I'm hoping he dies soon because I've had enough of him, and I would be disappointed if he kills his father, because he's portrayed as not nearly as intelligent or strategic as Roose.  But, I further confess I've lost almost all hope that the author can regain control of his story or that even if he does I'm going to enjoy how it winds down and it's not going to end up being a weird exercise is "subverting my expectations" for no good reason.

47 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

That would be interesting.  I didn't mind Ramsay, I thought his crazy sadism was well grounded in his back story, I'm hoping he dies soon because I've had enough of him, and I would be disappointed if he kills his father, because he's portrayed as not nearly as intelligent or strategic as Roose.  But, I further confess I've lost almost all hope that the author can regain control of his story or that even if he does I'm going to enjoy how it winds down and it's not going to end up being a weird exercise is "subverting my expectations" for no good reason.

Yeah, totally agree. Quentyn was a good example of subverting expectations for the sake of it. 

5 hours ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

I agree to a point, but I think Martin's going to subvert our expectations by revealing Euron as a huge poser. Basically, the thing that stops me from hating Euron's over the topness as I do Ramsay's is that unlike Ramsay he's barely in the books. I think he's one of those characters who are only good in small amounts?

I agree: I think GRRM did a very good job with Euron, giving us a memorable character with a clear role to play later without making it seemed rushed or cheap (well, in my opinion). I would have to disagree with you over Ramsay: I can't get enough of his bits! (I mean, I hate his guts and all, but he's a great character!).

Edit: forget it, i really shouldn't have read GoT forum and Dany Drogo discussion. i'm so triggered by rape apology (and apparently people who think 13 year old is raped are denying Dany's desires? wow ), i'm literally crying now. I guess i quit this forum for now.

Not sure where to put this.  Couldn't really make it into a proper question, so I couldn't put it in Small Questions.  Just an interesting little tidbit.

The folksong, The Three Ravens, reminds me of the ravens of House Corbray, or at least has me wondering if the folksong isn't some sort of inspiration for House Corbray's sigil.

In the folksong, a knight lays recently perished.  Three Ravens, the "villains" and narrators of the story, want to eat from his corpse.  However, the knight's faithful hawks, hounds, and "leman" (old term for "lover") prevent the ravens from doing so.  The hawks and hounds spook the ravens away, and the knight's lover carries the knight away, giving him a proper burial. 

The hawks, hounds, and "leman" all loved the knight.  The ravens on House Cobray's sigil are carrying hearts, so I wonder if the sigil would be depicting some sort of victory of the ravens, instead of defeat as in the folksong.  Lady Forlorn also seems like an homage to the "leman" in the song, who (if I'm interpreting the song correctly) mourns to death over the knight's death.

So I've noticed something kind of weird lately.

Whenever I reply to someone with an off-hand comment or just a statement, the person always acts really defensive for no reason??

I guess I've been coming off as extra argumenative lately, lol.

6 hours ago, Joan Jett said:

So I've noticed something kind of weird lately.

Whenever I reply to someone with an off-hand comment or just a statement, the person always acts really defensive for no reason??

I guess I've been coming off as extra argumenative lately, lol.

Lots of newer posters on the site maybe? Some seem extra defensive. 

I think Tyrek is the armorer's assistant in the Second Sons. Or something. 

Seriously, would you stick around to be called Wet Nurse for the rest of your life, and married to a child half of the best part of your life? Riot = opportunity = buhbye!

Also, I am flat out in love with Drogo. Apparently I have an inner cave woman I was previously unaware of. Since he's dead however, I will absolutely take Bronn. 

5 hours ago, LadyoftheNorth72 said:

I think Tyrek is the armorer's assistant in the Second Sons. Or something. 

Seriously, would you stick around to be called Wet Nurse for the rest of your life, and married to a child half of the best part of your life? Riot = opportunity = buhbye!

Also, I am flat out in love with Drogo. Apparently I have an inner cave woman I was previously unaware of. Since he's dead however, I will absolutely take Bronn. 

Tyrek would have looked forward to serving as a household knight with maybe some opportunities to generate modest income of his own. His marriage to the babe made him a lord with lands and castle. 

15 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Tyrek would have looked forward to serving as a household knight with maybe some opportunities to generate modest income of his own. His marriage to the babe made him a lord with lands and castle. 

Oh, you met him?

35 minutes ago, LadyoftheNorth72 said:

Oh, you met him?

No. I stated the fact of his social standing. His father dead with no lands of his own, he was dependant on Tywin for patronage. By wedding Ermesande, he was transformed into the Lord of Hayford. How was that not advantagous? I would think suffering a few jovial insults from his comrades would be worth the leap, no?

It's not like such marriages would be uncommon anyway. Tyrell would have grown up knowing his marriage would likely be picked for him, only difference here is the haste with which it was done. There are probably other examples in series of a similar age gap, only it's less noticeable because the parties are older. I think, for example, there is quite a gap between Drogo and Dany? 

I have secretly wondered if Bloodraven warged the male direwolf that impregnated the female that birthed Ghost especially - and maybe the other pups.  Such may be considered an abomination by Haggon - but I still wonder in my sick mind.

I really want a Tyrell POV in the Reach or maybe Highgarden. (it would be nice if it isn't Mace) GRRM has already mentioned that Willas and Garlan won't be getting POV chapters but they'll play a role in the upcoming books. And since Euron is planning an attack on Oldtown I think the Tyrells would have to play an important role there. Fact is - I'm curious about Highgarden and it's one of the few unexplored regions in Westoros and it's a fairly large territory.

I'd be over the moon if there's an Olenna POV. That would be hilarious.

15 hours ago, evita mgfs said:

I have secretly wondered if Bloodraven warged the male direwolf that impregnated the female that birthed Ghost especially - and maybe the other pups.  Such may be considered an abomination by Haggon - but I still wonder in my sick mind.

I feel like those three rules will definitely be important. Varamyr broke all three. 

"Abomination, abomination, abomination." The word was repeated three times too. 

We have 3 warg POVs. Bran broke one rule by skin changing into Hodor. Arya eats human flesh in her wolf dreams. Only one rule left to break and one more warg to break it...

2 minutes ago, Joan Jett said:

I feel like those three rules will definitely be important. Varamyr broke all three. 

"Abomination, abomination, abomination." The word was repeated three times too. 

We have 3 warg POVs. Bran broke one rule by skin changing into Hodor. Arya eats human flesh in her wolf dreams. Only one rule left to break and one more warg to break it...

I see what you did there ;)

Archived