Your Random ASOIAF/TWOIAF/D&E Opinions, Confessions and Dirty Secrets, (making the) 8. [The Seven was cursed]

JonCon's Red Beard

2 hours ago, Joan Jett said:

I feel like those three rules will definitely be important. Varamyr broke all three. 

"Abomination, abomination, abomination." The word was repeated three times too. 

We have 3 warg POVs. Bran broke one rule by skin changing into Hodor. Arya eats human flesh in her wolf dreams. Only one rule left to break and one more warg to break it...

Nicely said!:D  You are speaking my language by referencing Martin’s use of repetition to subtly emphasize important information.

The warging factor may ultimately explain the co-mingling of bloodlines in the case of the Starks with their “wolf blood” – and others as well.  [The Reeds and their stature seem related to the CotF].

Now I will share another sicko concern of mine:  Bran’s personal hygiene on the long journey beyond the Wall very likely falls to Hodor.  However, perhaps what the “boy” eats and drinks, the direwolf Summer evacuates, through urinating and defecating.:o

Just speculating . . .

33 minutes ago, evita mgfs said:

Nicely said!:D  You are speaking my language by referencing Martin’s use of repetition to subtly emphasize important information.

The warging factor may ultimately explain the co-mingling of bloodlines in the case of the Starks with their “wolf blood” – and others as well.  [The Reeds and their stature seem related to the CotF].

Now I will share another sicko concern of mine:  Bran’s personal hygiene on the long journey beyond the Wall very likely falls to Hodor.  However, perhaps what the “boy” eats and drinks, the direwolf Summer evacuates, through urinating and defecating.:o

Just speculating . . .

How would that work? would it physically travel to Summer when Bran Wargs him?

18 minutes ago, Caspoi said:

How would that work? would it physically travel to Summer when Bran Wargs him?

I have no idea!  It was just something that my sick mind worried about as the companions made their long journey beyond the Wall.:(

On 11/03/2016 at 4:08 AM, MaybeINeverSawACamel said:

I confess I just spent a few hours reading a year old Jon/Arya relationship thread. I'm slightly ashamed. 

I...just how...but...what...

I genuinely don't understand that theory: it's based on a twenty-odd year old plan that clearly has no relavance anymore, the characters have completely evolved past the point where this is a possibility, and (most importantly of all) IT'S REALLY FRICKIN' DISGUSTING!!!

I mean, seriously. It's up there with Viserys' views on brotherly love.

10 minutes ago, Maester of Valyria said:

I genuinely don't understand that theory: it's based on a twenty-odd year old plan that clearly has no relavance anymore, the characters have completely evolved past the point where this is a possibility, and (most importantly of all) IT'S REALLY FRICKIN' DISGUSTING!!!

Actually it's not. People have been theorizing about Jon and Arya ending up together for years. The first thread on this site about it was started in 2011. Based on foreshadowing in the published books. :)

6 minutes ago, Maester of Valyria said:

On March 11, 2016 at 11:08 PM, MaybeINeverSawACamel said:

I confess I just spent a few hours reading a year old Jon/Arya relationship thread. I'm slightly ashamed. 

This is still a very active thing 

On March 11, 2016 at 11:08 PM, MaybeINeverSawACamel said:

This one?

Don't feel ashamed. It's a very great and informative thread. I've read it like three times already, lol. 

1 minute ago, Joan Jett said:

Actually it's not. People have been theorizing about Jon and Arya ending up together for years. The first thread on this site about it was started in 2011. Based on foreshadowing in the published books. :)

Just now, The Fattest Leech said:

This is still a very active thing

Yes, I know, the theory still has it's fair share of subscribers. However, my personal opinion is as stated above: I really don't think Arya would fall for Jon, if the two ever even meet again in time for a romance to blossom before the series ends.

By the way, @The Fattest Leech, how are you? What happened to your old avatar?

1 minute ago, Maester of Valyria said:

Yes, I know, the theory still has it's fair share of subscribers. However, my personal opinion is as stated above: I really don't think Arya would fall for Jon, if the two ever even meet again in time for a romance to blossom before the series ends.

By the way, @The Fattest Leech, how are you? What happened to your old avatar?

I am great. Sitting here watching ghost shows with huge glass of something purpley-red. Hope you are well :cheers:

Ahah. I still get questions about that!! I changed it because of mood and I had so many people message me and tell me how it grossed them out. I caved :dunno:

As far as Jon and Arya. I can't say I think the relationship is more than an association to identity and family and whatever. But everyone has their own ideas and until we read the words "and they lived happily ever after" at the end of ADOS, I'll allow people their theory room. 

14 hours ago, Maester of Valyria said:

As people have said theory was a thing way before plan got out.

I am not some huge fan of the theory but I don't understand why people find it disgusting, if Lyanna theories turn out right, they would be just cousins, and that kind of marriage is obviously OK by Westerosi standards. And if secret Targ theories are right, then Jon's family has a bit of tradition of incestuous marriages. 

It would simply be good writing, they are extremely close more so then any other Stark sibling combination, they think about each other often and they are apart for quite some time. I mean, it is not my preference and there are reasons for the contrary (they spent much time together before separation and so on), but it is possibility not disgusting at all and would make for a great happy ending. On the other hand it would make a great unhappy ending as well, Children of Hurin style.

Doesn't anyone think that Jon and Arya will meet each other as Ghost and Nymeria and live their lives out like that while their human minds slowly vanish? I've heard it before and it seems probable to me. It fits in with the title "A Time Of Wolves" as well as GRRM's idea of a "bitter-sweet ending".

51 minutes ago, Adam Targaryen said:

Doesn't anyone think that Jon and Arya will meet each other as Ghost and Nymeria and live their lives out like that while their human minds slowly vanish? I've heard it before and it seems probable to me. It fits in with the title "A Time Of Wolves" as well as GRRM's idea of a "bitter-sweet ending".

A lot of different scenarios would fit with the title "A Time of Wolves". For example, if Jon and Arya end up ruling as King and Queen in KL, that would be a time for wolves. Just like Cregan Stark having control in KL was referred to as "the hour of the wolf". 

And I think it's important to note that in GRRM's eyes the ending of LOTR was "bittersweet". 

I don't see why either Jon or Arya would live their lives out as wolves. There is no solid evidence of an ending like that. In Melisandre's flames she sees Jon turn  from a man into a wolf and then a man again, so he is not going to be inside of Ghost forever. 

However I do like your idea of Ghost and Nymeria meeting. :) Ghost misses his wolf siblings and I believe that him and Nymeria already have an established dynamic. Back in AGOT Nymeria was submissive towards him and she was willing to follow him. In one of Brienne's chapters, GRRM gives us an update on Nymeria's love life, saying that she lets none of the small grey wolves mount her. Ghost is much different from those small gray wolves. He is a direwolf like her and larger than her. He could possibly be the wolf to mount her. Nymeria would accept him too since she is submissive to him. Ghost would then become the alpha male of the pack and Nymeria would be his alpha female. They would be the 'king' and 'queen' of the superpack, Ghost becoming the alpha male and gaining leadership of the wolves solely because of his coupling with Nymeria could foreshadow Jon marrying Arya and becomeing KitN.  (Plus back then we got a little example of the wolves mirroring their human counterparts.In Arya I (?) Jon mussed Arya's hair, Ghost nipped at Nymeria's ear affectionately.)

I've moved away from this theory, though, since now I think that Jon will sit the Iron Throne instead.

20 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I am great. Sitting here watching ghost shows with huge glass of something purpley-red. Hope you are well :cheers:

Ahah. I still get questions about that!! I changed it because of mood and I had so many people message me and tell me how it grossed them out. I caved :dunno:

As far as Jon and Arya. I can't say I think the relationship is more than an association to identity and family and whatever. But everyone has their own ideas and until we read the words "and they lived happily ever after" at the end of ADOS, I'll allow people their theory room. 

I am well, thank you, although work's driving me crazy at the moment! Is your son still enjoying the books? :cheers:

Oh, that's a shame. I quite liked it. Change it back just to spite them?

Possibly, although I doubt that those exact words will ever grace the pages of ADOS. At least, not without a major twist to them...

5 hours ago, Equilibrium said:

As people have said theory was a thing way before plan got out.

I am not some huge fan of the theory but I don't understand why people find it disgusting, if Lyanna theories turn out right, they would be just cousins, and that kind of marriage is obviously OK by Westerosi standards. And if secret Targ theories are right, then Jon's family has a bit of tradition of incestuous marriages. 

It would simply be good writing, they are extremely close more so then any other Stark sibling combination, they think about each other often and they are apart for quite some time. I mean, it is not my preference and there are reasons for the contrary (they spent much time together before separation and so on), but it is possibility not disgusting at all and would make for a great happy ending. On the other hand it would make a great unhappy ending as well, Children of Hurin style.

Perhaps disgusting was a bit too strong. I do think it would be distasteful, although I'm not sure where cousin-marriage is on the icky-scale. As for the Targaryen's history of incest, I'm pretty sure we won't be seing that recur again: assuming Dany does manage to take Westeros back, I doubt the lords would stand for the dynasty starting up with their coin-flip practices.

4 hours ago, Adam Targaryen said:

That could work actually. Thanks for drawing my attention to that possibility.

I read stuff like this, and I wonder how much The George has already written . . .

Theon Greyjoy had once commented that Hodor did not know much, but no one could doubt that he knew his name.

Bran IV, Game 24

"Sister. See. This time I knew you."

Asha's heart skipped a beat. "Theon? "

His lips skinned back in what might have been a grin. Half his teeth were gone, and half of those still left him were broken and splintered.

"Theon," he repeated. "My name is Theon. You have to know your name. "

The Sacrifice, Dance 62

"You're a young fool, Archer. If we go to Riverrun it will only be to collect her ransom, won't be no time for you to sit about making bows. Be thankful if you get out with your hide. Lord Hoster was hanging outlaws before you were shaving. And that son of his . . . a man who hates music can't be trusted, I always say."

"It's not music he hates," said Lem. "It's you, fool."

"Well, he has no cause. The wench was willing to make a man of him, is it my fault he drank too much to do the deed?"

Lem snorted through his broken nose. "Was it you who made a song of it, or some other bloody arse in love with his own voice?"

"I only sang it the once," Tom complained. "And who's to say the song was about him? 'Twas a song about a fish."

"A floppy fish," said Anguy, laughing.

Arya IV, Storm 22

Edmure Tully finally found his voice. "I could climb out of this tub and kill you where you stand, Kingslayer."

"You could try." Jaime waited. When Edmure made no move to rise, he said, "I'll leave you to enjoy your food. Singer, play for our guest whilst he eats. You know the song, I trust."

"The one about the rain? Aye, my lord. I know it."

Edmure seemed to see the man for the first time. "No. Not him. Get him away from me."

Jaime VI, Feast 38

This Confessions is about to be locked for length I think, so I hope that doesn't mean no one sees this.

I have another random theory that I'd like to share.  The idea came to me when I was reading this quote from AGoT yesterday.

The outer parapet came up to her chin, but along the inner edge of the walk was nothing, nothing but a long plunge to the bailey seventy or eighty feet below. All it would take was a shove, she told herself. He was standing right there, right there, smirking at her with those fat wormlips. You could do it, she told herself. You could. Do it right now. It wouldn't even matter if she went over with him. It wouldn't matter at all.

In this scene, Joffrey has shown Sansa her father's head on the wall.  Here's my theory.  Sansa returns to KL, having learned LF's connection to her father's death.  When she is forced into a trial, Cersei names Robert Strong as her champion. Sansa names LF as her champion, with the assumption that if she were to die, at least she could LF down with her.

1 hour ago, Isobel Harper said:

Here's my theory.  Sansa returns to KL, having learned LF's connection to her father's death.  When she is forced into a trial, Cersei names Robert Strong as her champion. Sansa names LF as her champion, with the assumption that if she were to die, at least she could LF down with her.

The idea that Sansa will learn of Littlefinger's complicity in her father's death and that this knowledge will be the reason she decides to take him out at any cost is solid, but I don't think this particular scenario is likely. Based on Tyrion's and Dunk's trials, it doesn't work that way. The accused can name someone to fight in their place, but their champion still has to agree to become their champion. After his previous dueling experience, there is no way in hell Littlefinger would agree to fight for anyone. 

Archived