Video Games Thread: For the Love of Zeus, Give Me One!

Jace, Extat

Can't remember how many playthroughs I finished, but I still have 3 characters that I want to reach the end with. Not sure that'll work out, but I did pick up The Descent, the last of the DLC I was missing, and was surprised by how enjoyable that was (kind of a theme with this game's DLCs, I guess). Obviously it's the best looking incarnation of the Deep Roads so far, the supporting characters are good and there's plenty new background information (also a running theme: the ancient elves fucked things up for everyone).

I enjoyed the Descent. There was just the one section with re-spawning dwarves that seems to take forever to clear which harked back to one of the major flaws / annoyances of DA2 that I didn't like. And the final battle was rather meh. But the story / backstory for Descent was very good. And the Ogre fights were properly tough, and really good that there is a way to get yourself out of an ogre grip. One thing I missed about dragon fights in DA2 and DA:I was that the dragons don't grab you in their jaws and throw you about. You'd think with their massive sharp teeth biting things would be a major point of offence.

Back on The Witcher 3, I find myself reasonably able to fight things 1 on 1 or 1 on 2 and even 1 on 3 as long as I don;t get surrounded, but still get rather beaten up with larger groups of relatively minor beasts / monsters. I still haven't faced the first Griffon yet so the enemies I'm facing are still low level. I suppose with a relative hoard of enemies it might be best to go for the shield sign to block incoming damage until I can whittle down the numbers and then switch to an offensive sign. Is that how most people handled hordes?

I seem to have kind of gotten away with mashing the light attack button in a couple of fights with beasts and wraiths, which is somewhat unsatisfying.

Words I thought I'd never, ever type:

System Shock 3 in development.

What the shit. 

Back on The Witcher 3, I find myself reasonably able to fight things 1 on 1 or 1 on 2 and even 1 on 3 as long as I don;t get surrounded, but still get rather beaten up with larger groups of relatively minor beasts / monsters. I still haven't faced the first Griffon yet so the enemies I'm facing are still low level. I suppose with a relative hoard of enemies it might be best to go for the shield sign to block incoming damage until I can whittle down the numbers and then switch to an offensive sign. Is that how most people handled hordes?
Dodge, more dodge, bombs, and Igni.  That said, at your low level, mobs of ghouls, drowners, and wolves are going to definitely be your #1 threat, besides maybe Wraiths.  Play Geralt like more of a rogue than a brawler.  Get in, quick attack, and dodge away, quick.  Igni as a crowd control and damage spell is also a lifesaver at that level, probably more than Quen will be.  

I gave in an bought the Age of Charlemagne DLC for TW: Attila, because of 2 reasons:

1) This campaign does show some promise, I hope to see some good medieval warfare, and I was getting back in the mood to play TW anyway (and made some upgrades to my PC)

2) Between Attila, work, and reading, I should be able to stay away from the internet until next Friday.

The DLC is only being released tomorrow, but they it's got a 10% discount now.

I gave in an bought the Age of Charlemagne DLC for TW: Attila, because of 2 reasons:

1) This campaign does show some promise, I hope to see some good medieval warfare, and I was getting back in the mood to play TW anyway (and made some upgrades to my PC)

2) Between Attila, work, and reading, I should be able to stay away from the internet until next Friday.

The DLC is only being released tomorrow, but they it's got a 10% discount now.

With you, Dawg. Bought it earlier today myself. Hoping I'll get to download it at 9 instead of local time.

I'm probably gonna play the Danes first, 'cause I really enjoyed the Vikings series, but I read somewhere that the Saracens were an option...

What the shit. 

Dodge, more dodge, bombs, and Igni.  That said, at your low level, mobs of ghouls, drowners, and wolves are going to definitely be your #1 threat, besides maybe Wraiths.  Play Geralt like more of a rogue than a brawler.  Get in, quick attack, and dodge away, quick.  Igni as a crowd control and damage spell is also a lifesaver at that level, probably more than Quen will be.  

I've just got to Velen and I'm level 3. I feel like maybe I should go back to White Orchard and try to get up to level 4 at least. I was almost proud of myself in taking on 2 level 9 ghouls in Velen, to try to drop the price of the bridge pass. I pretty much used quen and dodge, I actually killed one ghoul, and I'm sure I did a whole life's worth of damage to the other one, but it kept on healing up and running away. I killed a bear easily enough with the stick and move technique. Anyway, I've decided I need to not take on enemies that are 6 levels above me, and I don't know how to negate the healing of the ghouls, or why it is I can get them very low in health and then they just start healing up all of a sudden. 

On the griffin and the bear I used the telekinetic blast. On the wraiths I just find wailing on them with light attacks does the job as chaining the light attacks together doesn't give them time to wind up with a hit. To some extent I prefer crowd control and defence over damage for my signs, except for enemies that are particularly weak to igni.

Crowds of people who can actually block your attacks are going to be tough.

I feel like at level 3, 1 on 1 Geralt can beat anything that doesn't have a ranged attack, or major self heals that I haven't found out how to shut down.

WHAT THE FUCK!?! It downloads at noon instead of midnight!?! If I had control of my fine motor skills (you have no idea how much self-control it took to make this post as error-free as possible), I'd write a strongly worded comment.

WHAT THE FUCK!?! It downloads at noon instead of midnight!?! If I had control of my fine motor skills (you have no idea how much self-control it took to make this post as error-free as possible), I'd write a strongly worded comment.

Annoying, isn't it? Just woke up, mildly excited - this game will unlock in approximately 5 hours. :tantrum:

I should have remembered though, the same thing happened when I pre-purchased The Last Roman.

So it will be more like 9-10 hours for me.

I picked up Diablo 3 for the PC. I'd play the 360 version a ton a few years ago and I didn't want to buy the game again (even though I'd never played Reaper of Souls), but I bunch of my friends recently started playing it. And they almost never play video games, and I thought it'd be fun to finally do some multiplayer with people who won't spew insults the whole time (or rather, they will, but its coming from a better place).

Its interesting noticing all the little differences between the versions. A lot I'm sure are just due to patches that have been released since I last played, but some are more basic stuff; like the PC not having an active dodge, having a tile-based inventory, and the way menu navigation works. Its certainly still the same core game, but it is a slightly different experience; with the biggest change being not having the active dodge.

I was going to purchase TW during the last steam sale but I got intimidated by the many different versions and decided not to bother for another year. Now you guys are making me wish I asked which to get. :unsure:

I can't tell by your post if you played any TW games or not. Ask away.

I can't tell by your post if you played any TW games or not. Ask away.

I haven't played any and am willing to try whenever its on sale. Its just that there is Rome and Attila and Shogun and whatever else that I don't even know where to start. So I just gave up on it. It's not like I'm lacking for games, I just thought that I might give it a try since you guys are highly positive on it.

On that note, I tried Crusader Kings on trial after some fantastic stories here. I didn't even make it past the tutorial. That interface was just off putting.

I haven't played any and am willing to try whenever its on sale. Its just that there is Rome and Attila and Shogun and whatever else that I don't even know where to start. So I just gave up on it. It's not like I'm lacking for games, I just thought that I might give it a try since you guys are highly positive on it.

On that note, I tried Crusader Kings on trial after some fantastic stories here. I didn't even make it past the tutorial. That interface was just off putting.

You're not the only one who has failed to get into CK. I tried several times, and just found myself overwhelmed and didn't know how to approach the game.

List of all TW games in chronological release history:

Shogun, Medieval (these 2 are very old, and don't have fully 3D graphics - probably too late to attempt to play them), Rome, Medieval II, Empire (first one to feature naval battles), Napoleon, Shogun 2, Rome II, and Attila. Warhammer, the first fantasy TW, will be released next year.

My favorite is Medieval II because the time period it covers and the mods that people made for it. Many people still play it and the first Rome, as well. 

Shogun 2 is very well regarded, but I didn't find it as fun as others on the list. I put a lot of hours in Rome II and Attila, too. Their gameplay is a bit different than the previous ones, but still pretty good. I didn't get into Empire much because of the time period they chose for it (18th century), and did not even attempt to play Napoleon.

Medieval II is the only one I've played, and I really enjoyed the 100 or so hours spent on it. I'd love to find a game/mod that combines the warfare of TW with the politics+misc of CK2.

Also, I think I'm done with Fallout 4. Ended up really bored of it and would rank it as my least preferred of the series. 

Still no info if Levine is involved or not.

Nope. And not entirely necessary, as Levine was not involved in SS1 in any way at all.

....With a brand new studio, as in one who has never made a game before. I am not feeling confident about this.

A new studio, but made up of staff including several ex-Looking Glass personnel who worked on the original System Shock and SS2.

Final Fantasy VII Remake - a remake of an RPG that took approximately 25 hours to complete (if you didn't grind like a lunatic for chocobos or to fight Ultimate & Ruby) - is apparently "too big" to fit into one game now and will be an episodic release

What.

According to Square, they are expanding some under-explored elements from the original game and making some areas bigger with additional content (like Midgar at the start of the game). Cool, I guess. But this was not a long game, at all, so it's bizarre they're saying it's too big to package as a single title.

Archived