New Star Trek Series on CBS

Werthead

6 hours ago, Werthead said:

Generations takes place in 2294 and The Next Generation starts in 2364, so exactly seventy years, which is quite a lot of time. The biggest incident in that timespan that we know of is the Romulan attack on Narendra III in 2344 which destroys the Enterprise-C. I think the general idea is that the Enterprise-B stays in service up to around 2320 or something and is then destroyed or retired, and the Enterprise-C takes over.

The other major events in that time period include first contact and then the war with the Cardassians and the Romulans deciding to become isolationists.

I think if they cover/expand on any of those events we could be in for a treat. The first meeting with the Caradassians could be interesting - especially if we get to see their treatment of the bajorans (I'm guessing they are an occupied planet at that stage?)

I'd hope we'd see the destruction of the enterprise C. Although I guess having the enterprise guest star in episodes would be a good compromise too.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

I think if they cover/expand on any of those events we could be in for a treat. The first meeting with the Caradassians could be interesting - especially if we get to see their treatment of the bajorans (I'm guessing they are an occupied planet at that stage?)

I'd hope we'd see the destruction of the enterprise C. Although I guess having the enterprise guest star in episodes would be a good compromise too.

If Tony Todd were to appear as Mogh seeing the destruction of the Enterprise-C would almost be a certainty.  

3 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

If Tony Todd were to appear as Mogh seeing the destruction of the Enterprise-C would almost be a certainty.  

No.

Mogh died at the Khitomer Massacre, the Enterprise C was destroyed at the battle of Narendra III.

Both were Romulan attacks on Klingon outposts/colonies and happened time frame-wise not too far apart.

5 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

No.

Mogh died at the Khitomer Massacre, the Enterprise C was destroyed at the battle of Narendra III.

Both were Romulan attacks on Klingon outposts/colonies and happened time frame-wise not too far apart.

Romulas at war with klingons sounds watchable!

16 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

I do like most of those points, although the time period doesn't excite me that much. You're stuck with the same problem as Enterprise in that the ships technology has to be worse than anything we saw in TNG/DS9/VOY, plus I've never been that enamoured with the Klingons (which has gotta be that prime reason they went for it, to get Klingons back as villains). Hopefully there's a lot of leeway with periods, and they could move all over the place......decades after VOY, perhaps.

Not enamored with Klingons? How dare you!

If these rumors turn out to be true, they have dragged me back into the light. I'd be curious to see a lot of the things from that era, one of the ones that popped into my head was seeing Curzon Dax, since he apparently had a hand in crafting the various treaties with the Klingons. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, so long as Klingons are heavily featured, I'll watch just about anything.

1 hour ago, GrimTuesday said:

If these rumors turn out to be true, they have dragged me back into the light. I'd be curious to see a lot of the things from that era, one of the ones that popped into my head was seeing Curzon Dax, since he apparently had a hand in crafting the various treaties with the Klingons. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, so long as Klingons are heavily featured, I'll watch just about anything.

Curzon Dax would be a great nod to the franchise's continuity.

2 hours ago, GrimTuesday said:

Yea, I'm certainly in a minority. I just find most writers contributions to Klingon culture incredibly unimaginative. My worst TNG episodes are ones in which Worf has some day approaching where the traditional knife has to be placed on the traditional table and lifted at the traditional time and blah blah blah.......basically Klingons can't take a shit without respecting the appropriate ritual to do so. It's very two dimensional that they're all just angry warriors who've never done anything of there own volition due to tradition-keeping restrictions. Actually, Enterprise has my favourite contribution with the elderly lawyer who lamented the warrior caste taking over and longed for a time when intellects, architects, scientists were respected.

It's a problem with all races really, it's just that Klingons feature so heavily. They're almost always defined by a single personality trait (Ferengi's: greedy, Vulcans: logical). I did love it when Quark had to go to Kronos and basically used accountancy to resolve the situation, you got more of a sense that finances were a sport that Ferengi's loved and they might have a drink after all the haggling and laugh about it. 

2 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

Yea, I'm certainly in a minority. I just find most writers contributions to Klingon culture incredibly unimaginative. My worst TNG episodes are ones in which Worf has some day approaching where the traditional knife has to be placed on the traditional table and lifted at the traditional time and blah blah blah.......basically Klingons can't take a shit without respecting the appropriate ritual to do so. It's very two dimensional that they're all just angry warriors who've never done anything of there own volition due to tradition-keeping restrictions. Actually, Enterprise has my favourite contribution with the elderly lawyer who lamented the warrior caste taking over and longed for a time when intellects, architects, scientists were respected.

It's a problem with all races really, it's just that Klingons feature so heavily. They're almost always defined by a single personality trait (Ferengi's: greedy, Vulcans: logical). I did love it when Quark had to go to Kronos and basically used accountancy to resolve the situation, you got more of a sense that finances were a sport that Ferengi's loved and they might have a drink after all the haggling and laugh about it. 

That's always been an issue with Trek and Syfy in general - alien races tend to be monocultural stereotypes. Weirdly SG-1 subverted this to some extent with factions of an alien species with different agendas. The Bajorans weren't so bad either as you'd expect them to all be reacting to being liberated and hating the Cardassians/anyone standing in their way.

Another problem with the potential timeline of the new show is that the Federation probably needs to remain idealistic otherwise we'd wonder why they had a wobbly phase in between TOS and TNG. The klingons could certainly be more mixed though as some kind of cultural change must have occurred for the peace to occur.

8 hours ago, red snow said:

Curzon Dax would be a great nod to the franchise's continuity.

Curzon did sound like one of the most interesting Daxes, so it would be interesting to see him properly.

I noticed the final episode of Star Trek Enterprise was

May 13, 2005, so this board never had an episode of Star Trek to bitch about immediately after its first airing.  :-)

That would have been shortly before I joined but I'm guessing the EzBoard incarnation of the board probably had a thread about it.

5 minutes ago, williamjm said:

Curzon did sound like one of the most interesting Daxes, so it would be interesting to see him properly.

Not only is he interesting, but he was also a central figure in the diplomatic relations with the Federation and the Klingons (He was the Federation's Representative at Khitomer) I'd actually love to see the series follow him and whatever ship he is on at the time and kind of change it season to season since he was a diplomat, and changed ships now and then. It would also give them a chance to engage in some fanservice by giving us cameos of younger versions of established characters, as well as, considering his friendship with Kang, Kor, and Koloth, we could get some fun episodes with less antagonist Klingons (showing that even in war, both sides are just people.

Man, I'd watch the shit out of this idea.

3 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

We could see more adventures of Captain Sulu and the Excelsior during this time period. Or maybe a cameo by an Admiral Sulu.

This would be great if just for one episode :) Takei would be all over it.

21 minutes ago, williamjm said:

That would have been shortly before I joined but I'm guessing the EzBoard incarnation of the board probably had a thread about it.

Looking at the wiki entry Curzon would make a great bridging character for the period.

I guess the other character who'd have made a great bridging charcter is Spock but I can understand them not wanting to recast him in the TV show. And it sounds like Zach Quinto probably wouldn't be allowed.

I think Classic characters or the likes of teenage Picards should be avoided though. We don't want it to be "spot the legacy character". Just have them where and when it works.

1 minute ago, red snow said:

Looking at the wiki entry Curzon would make a great bridging character for the period.

I guess the other character who'd have made a great bridging charcter is Spock but I can understand them not wanting to recast him in the TV show. And it sounds like Zach Quinto probably wouldn't be allowed.

I think Classic characters or the likes of teenage Picards should be avoided though. We don't want it to be "spot the legacy character". Just have them where and when it works.

That is certainly the best way to do it, but I think realistically we know that that isn't what CBS is going to do. It's just so much easier to draw in fans with fanservice. For sure don't do Picard, I'd personally try and avoid all the major characters being shown directly or in anything more than just very brief throwaway thing, but something like Worf's father would be cool, and secondary characters from the shows would be nice.

33 minutes ago, red snow said:

There was a bit of a tradition of pilot episodes having a cameo by a star of the previous series, Bones was in the first episode of TNG, Picard was in the first episode of DS9, Voyager visited DS9 in the first episode (Enterprise skipped doing that for obvious reasons), it would be a nice continuation of that to have a brief cameo by Takei (or Koenig or Nicholls).

1 hour ago, williamjm said:

EZBoard I think started in 2001 when Voyager was still on the air. Before that I think there was on earlier incarnation and that Dragonstone before that, when DS9 was still on? Going waaaaay back now.

14 minutes ago, williamjm said:

There was a bit of a tradition of pilot episodes having a cameo by a star of the previous series, Bones was in the first episode of TNG, Picard was in the first episode of DS9, Voyager visited DS9 in the first episode (Enterprise skipped doing that for obvious reasons), it would be a nice continuation of that to have a brief cameo by Takei (or Koenig or Nicholls).

They did their best to uphold that and they included video of Zehpram Chocrane  at the Princeton University commencement.  

I wish there was more info and intel out there about this new show.  It`s been confirmed that Michael Dorn`s attempt with We Want Worf and so on failed, as he's now put out tweets saying "he isn't giving up", and trying to find his show an online home.  What with the lawsuit vs Axanar, and some of his statements about "going it alone", I foresee legal problems if he goes that way as well now.  I don't know why they don't try that, backing an online series, even going into partnership with Axanar and the like - the more Trek the better, everyone wins, and nobody loses anything IMO.

There is a lot of potential story lines out there, as stated earlier than TNG Klingon Empire stuff, seeing earlier Dax hosts would be interesting, as would Mog and other Klingons.  I just hope it isn't JJ verse type stuff, which is by far my least favorite

Archived