New Star Trek Series on CBS

Werthead

To be fair, this new series isn't specifically a television show since they insist on putting it on a pay for play platform that can be watched on any old device.

Though if they pick up with the Worf pitch...it's almost somethjng that would make me forget my antipathy to the way CBS is doing this...

12 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I hated that the last episode of Enterprise was essentially an Episode of TNG. I think it should have ended with Terra Prime instead.  

I've heard so much about the final episode that I stopped watching at the penultimate episode of Enterprise, I've never felt that I've missed out on anything by doing that.

2 hours ago, williamjm said:

I've heard so much about the final episode that I stopped watching at the penultimate episode of Enterprise, I've never felt that I've missed out on anything by doing that.

I wish I had done so. It is a great place to end. Bad guy gets arrested, conference still on and Trip and T'Pol have hope for the future.  

5 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

I like Worf as much as the next guy.......but is he so great that he needs to be in 50% of all Star Trek series?

Yes, the only answer to that question is yes. I would especially want that because we would probably get to see what has happened in the Klingon Empire post DS9, and all I want in life is more Klingons (And happiness, but that is a distant second to more Klingons).

• 4 weeks later...

Many rumours about the new series have leaked. I hope to God (who doesn't need a starship) that they're true because it sounds great.

• NOT SET IN THE BULLSHIT ABRAMSVERSE. Set in the original/Prime continuity.
  • Set after the events of Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country and the past scenes in Generations, but before TNG.
  • Does not involve the Enterprise at all.
  • New cast of characters.
  • Heavily serialised storyline.
  • Klingon villains.
  • Anthology format: Season 2 may be set in a completely different time period with an all-new cast.
  • The show can't air until 22 January 2017 based on CBS's deal with Paramount.

2 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Many rumours about the new series have leaked. I hope to God (who doesn't need a starship) that they're true because it sounds great.

• NOT SET IN THE BULLSHIT ABRAMSVERSE. Set in the original/Prime continuity.
  • Set after the events of Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country and the past scenes in Generations, but before TNG.
  • Does not involve the Enterprise at all.
  • New cast of characters.
  • Heavily serialised storyline.
  • Klingon villains.
  • Anthology format: Season 2 may be set in a completely different time period with an all-new cast.
  • The show can't air until 22 January 2017 based on CBS's deal with Paramount.

This all sounds fantastic. 

So here's one for Wert (he knows stuff). How much time does this give the show to play around with if set between end of generations (past) and beginning of TNG? Also, were there any events alluded to in that span that could be explored? I guess a peace was brokered between the klingons that stuck.

How are they going to work the Borg into it if they have trouble with ratings :P

Given there were two other enterprise's in that span I'd certainly like to see them in the future. It sounds like enterprise C saw some action - it'd be a shame if Enterprise B never did. The anthology approach may help with that.

I still think setting things in between time-frames rather than just setting after DS9/Voyager/last trek film limits them a little but if even some of those rumours listed are true it's interesting. Mainly that it's not abramsverse.

5 minutes ago, red snow said:

So here's one for Wert (he knows stuff). How much time does this give the show to play around with if set between end of generations (past) and beginning of TNG? Also, were there any events alluded to in that span that could be explored? I guess a peace was brokered between the klingons that stuck.

How are they going to work the Borg into it if they have trouble with ratings :P

Given there were two other enterprise's in that span I'd certainly like to see them in the future. It sounds like enterprise C saw some action - it'd be a shame if Enterprise B never did. The anthology approach may help with that.

I still think setting things in between time-frames rather than just setting after DS9/Voyager/last trek film limits them a little but if even some of those rumours listed are true it's interesting. Mainly that it's not abramsverse.

Generations takes place in 2294 and The Next Generation starts in 2364, so exactly seventy years, which is quite a lot of time. The biggest incident in that timespan that we know of is the Romulan attack on Narendra III in 2344 which destroys the Enterprise-C. I think the general idea is that the Enterprise-B stays in service up to around 2320 or something and is then destroyed or retired, and the Enterprise-C takes over.

The other major events in that time period include first contact and then the war with the Cardassians and the Romulans deciding to become isolationists.

52 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Generations takes place in 2294 and The Next Generation starts in 2364, so exactly seventy years, which is quite a lot of time. The biggest incident in that timespan that we know of is the Romulan attack on Narendra III in 2344 which destroys the Enterprise-C. I think the general idea is that the Enterprise-B stays in service up to around 2320 or something and is then destroyed or retired, and the Enterprise-C takes over.

The other major events in that time period include first contact and then the war with the Cardassians and the Romulans deciding to become isolationists.

They're saying that it's before the final peace with Klingons is achieved, so that puts the show earlier than 2344, as that's the final bit that helped that process along.

Late 2230s is primetime Picard on the Stargazer time too.  With Jack Crusher alive...lotta stuff unwritten in that era, but alluded to with Walker Keel and a couple other references from Season 1...

I do like most of those points, although the time period doesn't excite me that much. You're stuck with the same problem as Enterprise in that the ships technology has to be worse than anything we saw in TNG/DS9/VOY, plus I've never been that enamoured with the Klingons (which has gotta be that prime reason they went for it, to get Klingons back as villains). Hopefully there's a lot of leeway with periods, and they could move all over the place......decades after VOY, perhaps.

I'm not suggesting Picard, per sey, but you bet there'll be cameos or mentions. But the time period when he commanded the Stargazer had a few tidbits dropped here or there during early TNG, so I'm suggesting that's a ripe timeframe. Some possible cameo characters from Picard's past on TNG could add the fodder for fanservice if they're used.

1 hour ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Yeah Picard doesn't need to be involved in this show in any capacity. And I'm not even sure another actor can do the character justice.  

James McAvoy!!!!

Archived