Batman and Superman IV: "Do you bleed?" "Only on the home release..." (Now with SPOILERS)

Rhom

From what I've read from most reviews, Affleck is perfect as Batman & Bruce Wayne, Irons is pretty good, Wonder Woman is not enough in the movie,  Lex is hit or miss depending on reviewers, Doomsday is badly done, the movie is too long for what really happens, Superman is meh, too much CGI, and story seems pretty straightforward. Marketing spoiled too much of the movie. Feels more like Watchmen than Avengers.

So anyway I'm sure I will like it, but Snyder relies too much on CGI for my taste.

46 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

I wonder how much money this is going to make? Like, it will make a hefty profit probably, but you'd think that a confrontation between Supes and manbat should absolutely crush the box-office, seeing how those two are probably the most famous comic book characters out there.

Quotes like the one below from Forbes' negative review of the film make me think it will do well. Huge well-done visual spectacle seems to make films pretty bulletproof, especially in foreign markets. Transformers, Jurassic World etc. always seem to pull in big $ despite poor to middling reviews. Warner Brothers is in a lot of trouble if it doesn't though.

"Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice is one of the most visually beautiful comic book movies you have ever seen. The picture is filled with moments of visual poetry and pure cinema in a way that resembles one glorious splash page after another. If you have any interest in seeing it, I beg of you to see it on the biggest IMAX screen you can find. It is every bit as big and spectacular as you might hope."

10 hours ago, The Unborn said:

From what I've read from most reviews, Affleck is perfect as Batman & Bruce Wayne, Irons is pretty good, Wonder Woman is not enough in the movie,  Lex is hit or miss depending on reviewers, Doomsday is badly done, the movie is too long for what really happens, Superman is meh, too much CGI, and story seems pretty straightforward. Marketing spoiled too much of the movie. Feels more like Watchmen than Avengers.

So anyway I'm sure I will like it, but Snyder relies too much on CGI for my taste.

Funnily enough I got all that from the trailers. All the reviews have simply confirmed all my fears about this movie. 

Part of me really wants it to fail extremely badly , to be such an enormous flop that all the other Justice League movies are cancelled. And then part of me really wants to watch it too.

I don't know why, but everything about the DC movie universe project irritates me. Its probably the blatent latching onto the success of Avengers, and the MCU, the way they have decided they might have a cash cow they can exploit, but seemingly not knowing what to do with it.

It also is to do with a misunderstanding of the material they have, thinking that because the Nolan formula was successful they could apply it to everything.

And then hiring Snyder to oversee everything, which was an enormous error I think. Btw I actually like Man of Steel a lot, and forgive a lot of its supposed problems, but BvS looks like Synder on hyperdrive. 

Sometimes poor decisions like this deserve to fail, as bad as that sounds.

Even Suicide Squad annoys me a bit. It even seems to be the most creatively interesting of the DCU movies so far, but even then it just looks like they've seen the Arkham City games and decided to do a real life version of that, because they are successful.

You're right, there is a lot of great talent involved in these movies, it seems Affleck has done a good Bruce Wayne / Batman. But the central ideas behind WHY they are making these movies are the problem. Its like they were in a huge rush to get on a level footing with Marvel. Instead of patiently creating a franchise via a slow release of movies, they'd tried to condense it all into one movie. 

Dark Knight Returns is a classic story, but instead of doing that justice they have tried to bastardise it and pull in a load of bits they thought were cool in order to rescue the DCU franchise, finding a way to tie it into a Superman movie. Plus adding all the other minor JL members, an odd side story involving Doomsday. 

Why do all these movies end up making the exact same mistakes? What is going on behind the scenes that means that there is will to crowbar in a million elements into one movie? It hasn't worked in anything since Spiderman 3 was a failure.

I'd forgotten Snyder was doing JL as well. So that'll be the same cast, except it'll have to introduce The Flash, Aquaman, Cyborg, and have far more opportunities for giant CGI fests. Is there any way that's going to be good? It makes you realise what a good job Kevin Feige does, giving each film its own crew but keeping one eye on the overall vision and tone. DC basically thought they could compete with Infinity War with no build up at all, and it's not looking great.

Out of the reviews I've seen the best are "luke-warm" and usually containing criticism. About half are simply negative about it all. Not very promising.

I imagine Snyder may not be as set in stone as it appears for Justice League if the reception is reflected in the box office. There's usually a huge disconnect between the two things though so I guess they may look at this in an Amazing Spiderman 2 way of "did this make as much as we'd have expected it to" and "did this perform better than Man of Steel". Like AMSM2 the film is intended to launch several others. If they lose confidence in that they could either get a different director for Justice league or bin the whole thing and tart from scratch.

That's the trouble, this film will never do so badly that they scrap the whole thing. I think JL is a given by now. Hopefully they scale back plans a little, focus on a good Affleck Batman film and get a different director for MoS 2 so we have a shot at a good Superman film.

Have to admit I am taking some perverse pleasure in the poor reviews, I think Snyder is a hack and handing him the keys to a universe is absurd. But I think this movie is pretty much critic proof, it will definitely have a massive opening weekend.

I have already seen some conspiracy lunacy from DC fans claiming critics are in the pocket of Disney trying to sabotage the competition.

3 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

Have to admit I am taking some perverse pleasure in the poor reviews, I think Snyder is a hack and handing him the keys to a universe is absurd. But I think this movie is pretty much critic proof, it will definitely have a massive opening weekend.

I have already seen some conspiracy lunacy from DC fans claiming critics are in the pocket of Disney trying to sabotage the competition.

I remember being in the theatre watching Deadpool with a bunch of teenagers (they were just in there ok, i wasn't WITH them) 

My reaction to the trailer to BvS was to groan and facepalm, theres was shouting and screaming in excitement. Its difficult to tell how other people will react to this movie. The idea is powerful enough that it will sell enough on its own.

It is an event movie, no matter how bad it may be, people want to see Batman and Superman together for the first time. I know people who hated MoS and all of the trailers for BvS, but are still going to see it opening weekend just because the pairing is too much for a nerd to resist. The opening should be massive, unless there is some disastrous word of mouth that causes it to sink quickly, I don't think DC will have any reason to change course.

10 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

It is an event movie, no matter how bad it may be, people want to see Batman and Superman together for the first time. I know people who hated MoS and all of the trailers for BvS, but are still going to see it opening weekend just because the pairing is too much for a nerd to resist. The opening should be massive, unless there is some disastrous word of mouth that causes it to sink quickly, I don't think DC will have any reason to change course.

The only hope is that movies have to make a good multiple on their budget to really justify making the movie in the first place these days. If the returns are merely average or poor then its going to make people very nervous. 

I think Amazing Spiderman 2 made its money back or something, but was panned and struggled to make a profit. Look what happened there. Marvel ended up being called in to rescue the property and all their planned future movies were thrown in the trash. 

2 minutes ago, Leap said:

Actually, I think Sony are still making a Venom movie for some reason.

Also, ASM2 made 700million at the box office and it cost them 255million to make. That's not a huge profit margin by Superhero standards, but it's not exactly terrible. Plus, the problems with the movie were not problems with the franchise, they were just problems with the franchise. Not that I'm complaining, because underoos! Still seemed like a baby/bathwater situation.

I think these movies tend to make more abroad than domestically now. ASM2 made less money in the US than all the other spiderman movies, it made basically half as much as the first ever spiderman. Clearly China saved it or something. But still if you look at the profit curve its downwards. 

It did surprising better than I thought, but critically it was slaughtered and its one of the only comic book movies I've actually walked out of. 

2 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

That's the trouble, this film will never do so badly that they scrap the whole thing. I think JL is a given by now. Hopefully they scale back plans a little, focus on a good Affleck Batman film and get a different director for MoS 2 so we have a shot at a good Superman film.

I'm not really wanting them to scrap the whole thing but if it turns out I hate it, then I'd much rather they readjust their plans in terms of directors and tone than carry on with it as is. I mean, it sounds like MoS scared a significant number off BvS - if they lose (that rare minority) that enjoyed MoS too then the audience sounds like it will diminish again for Justice League. It's not like they can inject Batman into it as he's already in this one.

Archived