Where would you have sent Bran to squire?

PrinceHenryris

51 minutes ago, The Mountain That Flies said:

Of all the options, Barristan seems the most likely given Bran's stated desire to be a Kingsguard, Ned's general indulgence of his children, and his wildly superior qualifications to everyone else in King's Landing.

I agree 100%...What did Ned do when Arya wanted to learn to fight with a sword?...He hired Syrio Forel, the former First Sword of Braavos. Ned loved his children above all ...and as my quote said, he indulged them. If Bran wanted to be a knight and Kingsguard, Ned would squire him to The Best. That would have to be Ser Barristan in Kings Landing.

Yes, Barristan, the Blackfish and Bronze Yohn would be the most probable candidates. I doubt Ned would even consider sending Bran to Starfall. Are there even any living Dayne knights that he could squire for (apart from Him of the Night at High Hermitage)? 

Rickard Stark had a global view of Westeros and how the North fit in to it. This is evident by his alliance with the Vale, the Riverlands and the Stormlands.

Because of what happened to his father, brother and sister, Ned has a very isolationist view of the world and the North.

He has plans for Bran to become a bannerman for Robb, he flirted with the idea of repopulating the Gift (perhaps this is were he wanted Jon to end up instead of the Watch). He was uncomfortable with the idea of Sansa and Joffery's marriage (he had no choice). Ned feels the Starks belong in the North and shows no interest in anything below the Neck.

Add to that how overprotective Cat was with Bran, and there is no way that Bran was going south of the Neck (minus the chance to squire for Blackfish in the Vale- that checks off Ned's Vale appreciation and Cat's family duty).

IF Ned was willing to appease Bran in his quest to be a Knight, the only real option then would have been to send Bran to White Harbor and the Manderlys.

That would keep Bran in the North, perhaps setting up a marriage with Wylla Stark and Brandon or even Robb Stark and Wynafryd, and creating a stronger bond with he most powerful city in the North and the richest Family in the North.

11 minutes ago, King Viserys Targaryen IV said:

Rickard Stark had a global view of Westeros and how the North fit in to it. This is evident by his alliance with the Vale, the Riverlands and the Stormlands.

Because of what happened to his father, brother and sister, Ned has a very isolationist view of the world and the North.

He has plans for Bran to become a bannerman for Robb, he flirted with the idea of repopulating the Gift (perhaps this is were he wanted Jon to end up instead of the Watch). He was uncomfortable with the idea of Sansa and Joffery's marriage (he had no choice). Ned feels the Starks belong in the North and shows no interest in anything below the Neck.

Add to that how overprotective Cat was with Bran, and there is no way that Bran was going south of the Neck (minus the chance to squire for Blackfish in the Vale- that checks off Ned's Vale appreciation and Cat's family duty).

IF Ned was willing to appease Bran in his quest to be a Knight, the only real option then would have been to send Bran to White Harbor and the Manderlys.

That would keep Bran in the North, perhaps setting up a marriage with Wylla Stark and Brandon or even Robb Stark and Wynafryd, and creating a stronger bond with he most powerful city in the North and the richest Family in the North.

Okay but Ned told Cat he was going to KL and that was final and he wanted him there to help repair relationships between Robb and Joff

1 minute ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

Okay but Ned told Cat he was going to KL and that was final and he wanted him there to help repair relationships between Robb and Joff

It depends on what the OP is saying.

If the question "Where does Bran squired if he had not fallen and accompanied Ned to King's Landing" or "Where did Ned plan for Bran to Squire"

If we are following the books and Bran does not "fall", then Bran goes to King's Landing with Ned and I am not sure where he squires. Ned did respect Barristan but he might just squire for one of Ned's men.

BUT, if Ned does not go to KL, or a plan before he became Hand then that is different. In that case he most likely stays in the North.

7 minutes ago, King Viserys Targaryen IV said:

It depends on what the OP is saying.

If the question "Where does Bran squired if he had not fallen and accompanied Ned to King's Landing" or "Where did Ned plan for Bran to Squire"

If we are following the books and Bran does not "fall", then Bran goes to King's Landing with Ned and I am not sure where he squires. Ned did respect Barristan but he might just squire for one of Ned's men.

BUT, if Ned does not go to KL, or a plan before he became Hand then that is different. In that case he most likely stays in the North.

Point. 

Although I don't think Ned has any knights with him in his retinue at KL. And the worth of your knighthood is greatly dependent on who you knighted for and who knighted you. 

Barristan is who I think Ned would've gone with 

1 minute ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

Although I don't think Ned has any knights with him in his retinue at KL. And the worth of your knighthood is greatly dependent on who you knighted for and who knighted you. 

Well, what I meant to say is that he would be trained by, not necessarily squire. For Ned to have Bran be a squire then it would mean that he was going to appease Bran's wanting to be a Knight... which may or may not have happened.

The original plan was for Bran to go to KL.  He would have probably stayed in the Red Keep so he could be a friend to Tommen and Myrcella.  I think he most likely would have squired for Robert or Renly, in part to counterbalance the Lannisters, and in part because as the Hand's son, it would be the most logical choice, and it would keep him in KL, where he can be with Tommen and his dad can keep an eye on him.

If this was pre-accident, I think the original plan to foster him and Robert Arryn at Dragonstone with Stannis would have been very good. It would have shown Stannis some well deserved respect, it would improve the alliance with Sweetrobin and Bran becoming buds, possibly set up a marriage bethoral with Shireen, and Bran would get along great with Davos.

although I do like the idea of Bran came to KL Barristan would be the choice. That'd be good. Barristan liked Missandei, so I think he'd like Bran's mind as well.

18 hours ago, PrinceHenryris said:

At the begging of the series, Bran wants to become a knight.  For a highborn boy like him, that would mean he'd have to serve as a squire somewhere.  Since most Northern houses ignore the trappings of knighthood, where would you have sent Bran if you were Ned?

Of course, this question presupposes that Bran didn't get chucked out a window and crippled.  

Then there's also the matter of Ned surviving long enough for Bran to reach squiring age.  The way I see it, that would mean that Ned either stayed in the North or figured out a way to survive long enough in KL.

Since Bran is my son, that would make me Ned, and my experience with fostering did not go well, so I would not let him become a knight 

18 hours ago, PrinceHenryris said:

At the begging of the series, Bran wants to become a knight.  For a highborn boy like him, that would mean he'd have to serve as a squire somewhere.  Since most Northern houses ignore the trappings of knighthood, where would you have sent Bran if you were Ned?

Of course, this question presupposes that Bran didn't get chucked out a window and crippled.  

Then there's also the matter of Ned surviving long enough for Bran to reach squiring age.  The way I see it, that would mean that Ned either stayed in the North or figured out a way to survive long enough in KL.

White Harbor

4 minutes ago, VeryLittleGravitasIndeed said:

Ned's experience with fostering went pretty well. His experience with southern ambitions and politics in general is what went badly.

new was being fostered when his father and his brother were killed and his sister ran away with the prince. He had no hand in the southron ambitions. That was his dad. He had to travel over the mountains of the moon and if it wasn't for the nature of Lord Borell, he would be dead.  There is a reason he kept his family at winterfell. Fear 

Either Hoster (so Edmure) or Brynden Tully.

How that would help calm any of Catelyn's worries about sending her special boy of while also continuing the bonds between House Tully and House Stark.  Brynden also has the added advantages of being a highly respected knight in the Vale also thus allowing Bran to build some relationship there also.  Possibly, even allowing him to come into contact with his cousin and build a friendship there if Lysa doesn't get in the way.

• 4 months later...

Assuming that the plots of the books never happened, I'd likely have Bran serve as page for the Manderlys, and then when he's old enough, have him squire for Ned Dayne, who would be a knight by then.

I can't really put it into words, but that just feels right. And that's what Ned is all about. 

I also think that getting Bran to squire for Barristan Selmy would have been the best thing. The best thing would of course have been for both Joffrey and Bran to squire together for Barristan Selmy as the plan was to make Bran and Joffrey friends and create another link between House Stark and House Baratheon of King's Landing.

Archived