Jump to content
Rhaenys_Targaryen

Small Questions v. 10105

Recommended Posts

47 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

No. I think that theory has petered out. 

Well, now I fell shafted. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Hey, I have a theory that involves Jiminy Cricket :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Go on...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Lord Wraith said:

Go on...

I can't because I have other theories to post replies to first... :leaving:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Lord Wraith said:

Go on...

 

5 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I know, right? 

I’m assuming The Fattest Leech means this one 

sorry if that’s a mistake though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As to the Ice thing:

One could speculate whether Lord Rickard was running around with his precious sword, too, when he received his summons to KL. Then Ice would have been lying around in the Red Keep after the had been cooked alive, resulting in Ned only taking possession of it after Aerys II's death.

That would explain why Ned didn't wield it in battle at the Trident and at Stoney Sept. However, it does nothing to explain as to why Ned didn't take it with him to Pyke during the Greyjoy Rebellion. Or perhaps he did: If Ned was as average a swordsman as he appears to have been, he may rarely have been involved in hand-to-hand combat during any of his campaigns. Stannis and Tywin don't honor their enemies by physically taking up arms against them, either. They let their knights, men-at-arms, and thugs put them down. And while the Starks do execute criminals (and their enemies) personally, nobody ever said anything about them killing all their enemies in battle, too.

Ned could have had Ice with him throughout all his campaigns without ever unsheathing it because he was constantly commanding from the rear.

Thinking about that - @Ran, did Lord Cregan Stark execute Larys Strong and the Gyles Belgrave with Ice? He has a very Ned-like quality to him with his rejection of power in KL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

As to the Ice thing:

One could speculate whether Lord Rickard was running around with his precious sword, too, when he received his summons to KL. Then Ice would have been lying around in the Red Keep after the had been cooked alive, resulting in Ned only taking possession of it after Aerys II's death.

That would explain why Ned didn't wield it in battle at the Trident and at Stoney Sept. However, it does nothing to explain as to why Ned didn't take it with him to Pyke during the Greyjoy Rebellion. Or perhaps he did: If Ned was as average a swordsman as he appears to have been, he may rarely have been involved in hand-to-hand combat during any of his campaigns. Stannis and Tywin don't honor their enemies by physically taking up arms against them, either. They let their knights, men-at-arms, and thugs put them down. And while the Starks do execute criminals (and their enemies) personally, nobody ever said anything about them killing all their enemies in battle, too.

Ned could have had Ice with him throughout all his campaigns without ever unsheathing it because he was constantly commanding from the rear.

Thinking about that - @Ran, did Lord Cregan Stark execute Larys Strong and the Gyles Belgrave with Ice? He has a very Ned-like quality to him with his rejection of power in KL.

I believe you might misunderstand what commanding the reserve entails...

Quote

By the time they found it, the trumpets had sounded again and Lord Tywin's reserve came sweeping up along the river. Tyrion watched his father fly past, the crimson-and-gold banner of Lannister rippling over his head as he thundered across the field. Five hundred knights surrounded him, sunlight flashing off the points of their lances. The remnants of the Stark lines shattered like glass beneath the hammer of their charge.

Tyrion VIII, Game 62

True, Tywin wasn't leading the van or the center, but the rear and/or the reserve would still deploy in combat. And even though Twin was surrounded by loyal knights and perhaps a personal guard, as was Robb, by definition, his person would have been at risk on the field of battle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I believe you might misunderstand what commanding the reserve entails...

Tyrion VIII, Game 62

True, Tywin wasn't leading the van or the center, but the rear and/or the reserve would still deploy in combat. And even though Twin was surrounded by loyal knights and perhaps a personal guard, as was Robb, by definition, his person would have been at risk on the field of battle. 

Nothing indicates Tywin ever unsheathed whatever sword he may have, though. If you enter the fray to ride down the broken lines of the enemy you do not necessarily need a sword.

But then - Tywin doing that doesn't mean Stannis or Ned would have done/did it, too. 

Also note that there is no indication that Tywin was at the head of his men. He was surrounded by his knights. He could have been at the rear of the rear, if you get my meaning - even if not, he seems to be at the center of his men, watching like his horse trampled over the corpses of the men the knights riding before him had killed. Tywin's hands and demeanor like remained as clean as they had been before.

I don't know much about medieval warfare, but I don't see mounted knights using war lances and greatswords at the same time. At least not while they don't have four arms. I mean, they would have a lance in the right hand, and a shield tied to their left. I could see them having a (short) sword long dirk with them to use should they be unhorsed and have to fight their way through the dirt, but men like Tywin, Stannis, and Ned don't plan to be thrown into the dirt. They take steps to prevent this kind of thing by surrounding themselves with mounted knights serving as their bodyguards.

If you don't use lances while mounted a Valyrian steel great sword would likely be very handy in combat. If it makes sense to use a sword to hack down on men on foot. The kind of ridiculous duel-in-the-middle-of-a-battle thing Daemon Blackfyre and Robert/Rhaegar felt they had to do would be exceedingly rare.

Sure, killing the enemy general/commander/pretender can be a vital objective in battle, especially in this medieval environment where people are stupid enough to stop fighting when the guy with the crown is dead, but if you are smart you do it the Bloodraven way, not the Robert Baratheon way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I can't because I have other theories to post replies to first... :leaving:

Well whenever you are ready then.

17 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I know, right? 

:cheers:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I notice this thread no longer shows up in my "content I posted in" thing. I'm guessing because it's over a year old now? I just thought that might be a good reason to move on to version 10106.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there any evindence for Euron being Bloodraven's student expect his use of magic and dream about flying?

Edited by Kandrax

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, RumHam said:

I notice this thread no longer shows up in my "content I posted in" thing. I'm guessing because it's over a year old now? I just thought that might be a good reason to move on to version 10106.

It still shows up in my "content I posted in" list.

But if a new version is preferred (we do have 146 pages, after all), that's fine by me! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there anywhere an index of "lesser" Jon Snow theories and their counter arguments? Like Jon being an Florent and conceived when Ned lifted the Reacher's siege of Storm's End. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know we still don't know that do WW want, but there are a lot of ideas.
But do we have any idea what do dragons want?
Dragons are not like dogs, just following its owner, zaldrīzes buzdari iksos daor.
They are not just animals.
So, what do they want?


Haven't find anything on that so far.

Edited by GoTAnyCorn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, GoTAnyCorn said:

I know we still don't know that do WW want, but there are a lot of ideas.
But do we have any idea what do dragons want?
Dragons are not like dogs, just following its owner, zaldrīzes buzdari iksos daor.
They are not just animals.
So, what do they want?


Haven't find anything on that so far.

In one word: prey

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 0:35 PM, SirArthur said:

Is there anywhere an index of "lesser" Jon Snow theories and their counter arguments? Like Jon being an Florent and conceived when Ned lifted the Reacher's siege of Storm's End. 

Not that I am aware of. Perhaps you could start one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2018 at 10:22 AM, Kandrax said:

Is there any evindence for Euron being Bloodraven's student expect his use of magic and dream about flying?

There's no evidence since Bloodraven is 2 generations ahead of Euron. Brynden was born in about 175. His lifespan has been greatly increased beyond what it would normally have been.

Euron is - at the latest - in his late 40s by the time the series takes place. He was born after Bloodraven disappeared, and there's nothing to suggest that anyone saw him before Bran, Meera and Jojen rocked up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Yukle said:

There's no evidence since Bloodraven is 2 generations ahead of Euron. Brynden was born in about 175. His lifespan has been greatly increased beyond what it would normally have been.

Euron is - at the latest - in his late 40s by the time the series takes place. He was born after Bloodraven disappeared, and there's nothing to suggest that anyone saw him before Bran, Meera and Jojen rocked up.

I'm not so sure... there are a few hints pointing at a possible connection. :dunno:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

I'm not so sure... there are a few hints pointing at a possible connection. :dunno:

 

Oh? I haven’t ever noticed... what am I missing? Seems strange; for all of his faults, Brynden always seemed to act for a higher cause (be it the Targs or the Realm) whereas Euron is... the opposite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Yukle said:

Oh? I haven’t ever noticed... what am I missing? Seems strange; for all of his faults, Brynden always seemed to act for a higher cause (be it the Targs or the Realm) whereas Euron is... the opposite.

If you google "westeros.org + bloodraven and euron" you'll get a bunch hits to threads on it. :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×