Watch, Watched, Watching: The Theatrical Release

RedEyedGhost

And I'm now finished season 2 of the Americans. *sobs* this show is so good, Amazin needs to get their finger out and put season 3 on Prime already :P 

Think I might start iZombie next

On 5/6/2016 at 8:44 PM, williamjm said:

Despite the best efforts of the TV schedulers and their apparent determination to never show it outside the US, I can now watch The Expanse thanks to Amazon.co.uk selling an all-regions Blu Ray of it.

I think it's a great adaptation from what I've watched so far, although it's been long enough since I read Leviathan Wakes that I'm a big vague on how accurate an adaptation it is.

This has been exasperating me for a while now. I watched the first two or three episodes on youtube before Christmas and I've been waiting for it to appear somewhere else but it refuses to do so I am not going to pay £30 for the pleasure of buying the DVD when people in the US are watching it for free. Vita brevis! There's other stuff to watch instead.

2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Think I might start iZombie next

I've been thinking of starting that as well since I see it has shown up on Netflix. I'm mainly interested because it's from the writer of Veronica Mars which I really enjoyed.

Just watched 

In Bruges, which was both hilarious and depressing. Brendan Gleeson and Colin Farrell were excellent in it, and I was pleasantly surprised to see Ralph Feinnes. It was about as full of twists and turns as any film I've ever seen, all of which were some variation of exciting, amusing or profound. 

The film was definitely darker than I had been expecting beforehand, although it is very funny.

On 8 May 2016 at 1:05 PM, williamjm said:

I've been thinking of starting that as well since I see it has shown up on Netflix. I'm mainly interested because it's from the writer of Veronica Mars which I really enjoyed.

The film was definitely darker than I had been expecting beforehand, although it is very funny.

Yeah that's why I decided to give it a go. Spent this evening after I got back after a rough day watching the first four episodes. They're 40 minutes long but it's one of those shows where it doesn't feel that long. Really entertaining and I love the opening credits.

iZombie is complete awesomeness.  Ravi rules.

I watched a pretty decent movie on Netflix Saturday - Upside Down - it was a class story about two worlds locked together with equal and opposite gravity.  One planet is very affluent as they drain the resources of the other.  It's definitely more fantasy than sci-fi because the natives of each planet maintain their upside down gravity one the other world without the use of weights and "transgravity" which if stored improperly will combust (putting people who try to pass as a native on their opposite world at risk of catching fire).  It reminded me a lot of Gattaca.

I've also watched two movies that I added to my Netflix dvd queue when Isis was talking about The Fountain awhile back: 

The Fall and The Man From Earth.  The Fall was very interesting - it's the story of a man "recovering" in a hospital who tries to enlist the unwitting help of a young girl, to commit suicide, by telling her an epic adventure story.  

The Man From Earth - it's a story about a man who is moving on from his current life as a college professor that an impromptu party as a group of his colleges come over to say goodbye.  It clocks in at 87 minutes, but they all take place in or just outside of the home he is leaving and it's basically just a conversation between friends that the main character frames as a "thought experiment" based off of things characters mention as they're helping him pack at the very beginning (a "fake" van Gogh, one character saying she looks/feels much older now, but John Oldman looks the same age as when they first met 10 years earlier) - What if a Cro-Magnon man survived 14,000+ years to live to the present?  I really loved this movie.  In fact I did something I can't recall ever doing before, after it ended I kicked it back and rewatched the last 20+ minutes again.

I watched 3 movies this week

Lucy, had heard it was good. I hated it. Scar Jo isn't great actor, but usually gets the job done. IMO she was quite wooden, and the storyline was worse. I get that her character was suppose to be emotionless, but she isn't good at that.

Paper Towns -  I liked it very much. It keep me interested the whole time.

Me, and Earl, and the Dying Girl. Loved it. I laughed, I cried, I laughed (a lot) and I cried. It isn't often that a movie pulls on my emotions in 2 directions at once.

1 hour ago, Leap said:

So, just went to see The Jungle Book, which I felt was kind of disappointing. I'd still give it a 6-7/10, but I expected something more given the acclaim it's received. 

I agree. I took my little niece to see it and actually started falling asleep towards the end. I mean it was good enough but I just expected a lot more too. 

7 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I thought Paper Towns was pretty forgettable tbh. Certainly not as good as some other coming of age movies i've seen in recent years  (The Perks of Being a Wallflower, The Way, Way Back, Kings of Summer).

Kings of Summer is another one that I heard that I have to see.

I've watched the first three eps of Hemlock Grove which is DISGUSTINGLY TRASHY and I hate myself. Also, why is it whenever anyone has sex in this show they all make the exact same noise? Weird!

And we kind of stalled out on Les Revenants. I think we have about 3 eps left in S2. But it tailed off a little in momentum and it feels a bit leaden. Plus some of our friends were all 'yeah, I hated the end, the second season was rubbish!' so that's killed our enthusiasm a bit. But we'll try to finish it this weekend.

22 minutes ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

Just watched 10 Cloverfield Lane. Wasn't too enthralled by it honestly and I thought the ending was complete shite. Going to watch The Witch now. Hopefully this one is better.

The Witch is a very slow burn so just be prepared. I would use subtitles too, I had a hard time understanding a lot.

2 hours ago, Ramsay Blow said:

The Witch is a very slow burn so just be prepared. I would use subtitles too, I had a hard time understanding a lot.

Thanks for the heads up on the subtitles. Good movie. I'm pretty picky when it comes to horror flicks, but I liked it.

I just finished Bone Tomahawk. I think I need therapy after seeing it. 

It contains one of the most violent and brutal deaths I have seen in a movie / tv. I actually felt physically ill after seeing it. 

Slow burn of a film that has some pacing, but the acting was solid, the action comes out of no where and isn't telegraphed by the cinematography.

Solid film that was different and it managed to blend the western and horror genre pretty well. 

Watched the 2015 Macbeth, it's very good. Great performances from Cottilard and Fassbender, awesome atmosphere and visuals. Makes me look forward more to Assassin's Creed, since that has the same combination of stars and director.

Also, a response that is very late to the party but looking back at the previous discussion of said film in this topic I spotted this:

On 31/03/2016 at 0:16 AM, The_Gallows_Knight said:

I watched Collateral today, I've seen it before but it was probably more than 10 years ago. And it was really good, a lot better than I remembered it to be. Tom Cruise was fantastic in it and so was Jamie Foxx. I also liked the somehow random Jason Statham cameo.

I hope you guys are all aware that that's a Transporter crossover.

Archived