Rank your 2016 TV shows throughout the year

Corvinus85

6 hours ago, Risto said:

Well, it is also a world where Trump is the President of USA so deal with it :D

Depressive

1 hour ago, RedEyedGhost said:

That might be a problem, though, all I did while "watching" the first episode of The Young Pope was sleep.

That's great though, if you slept through it, you haven't actually seen it :D That means you will be able to enjoy it for a second time around and it will still feel new :D Best series of the year I tell you!

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 10:17 AM, dbunting said:

These four shows I watched live, GOT and WW were my favorite regular tv/cable shows this year.

Game of Thrones, watch it on DVR next day also. Westworld, The Walking Dead, The Night Of

These all I like and make a point to watch, plus my favorite binging shows from Netflix so far

Stranger Things, binged over 2 day span, The Leftovers, Sense8, currently binging on this, Mr Robot, Better call Saul, Big Bang Theory, Silicon Valley

Next level shows

Designated Survivor, Vikings, Preacher, Daredevil, House of Cards, took a dive IMO last season

Most of these I watch whenever and if I had no DVR, I likely wouldn't watch them

Jessica Jones, Shades of Blue, Marco Polo, realized I still haven't seen S2, and not entirely eager to, Blindspot, needs to wrap up, Quantico, needs to wrap up, Bull, Kevin can wait, Scorpion, Timeless, Ballers, Fear the Walking Dead, Lethal Weapon, MacGyver, Into the Badlands, Vinyl, Narcos, watched 4 episodes and never went back to it

Finished Sense8 and think I have it ranked in the right spot for me. Binged The OA over the four day weekend, wasn't too impressed. I would put it in my bottom level.

The past few years my show watching have been fairly down.  I have caught episodes of shows but very few seasons.

Westworld was the best show overall of the year for me.  The season finale was simply amazing for me, and one of the best episode of TV.

I will mention two shows that got very little mention and I have found.

Adam Ruins Everything:

The main focus of the show is what you expect if you watch Adam Conover's College Humor videos or seen shows like Penn and Teller Bullsh*t in debunking or questioning of common beliefs.  The show vignettes between the main focus has actually created a couple fairly good stories and characters with some depth considering the time limits placed.

The Girlfriend Experience:

Absolutely the best guilty pleasure I seen in a few years.  It is what you and it delivers on the smut nicely.  Riley Keough performance was quite amazing (as is Riley Keough herself).  Though it has many hallmarks the dead eye performance that is fairly given with these type of shows Keough demostrate how it is done right, and it can be a true acting choice.  Will not want to overpraise the show, though I think Riley gave one of the best performance of 2016. 

14 hours ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

The Girlfriend Experience:

Absolutely the best guilty pleasure I seen in a few years.  It is what you and it delivers on the smut nicely.  Riley Keough performance was quite amazing (as is Riley Keough herself).  Though it has many hallmarks the dead eye performance that is fairly given with these type of shows Keough demostrate how it is done right, and it can be a true acting choice.  Will not want to overpraise the show, though I think Riley gave one of the best performance of 2016. 

:agree: Riley Keough was excellent. I'm surprised this show wasn't discussed more on these boards.

4 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I figured I would give it a month until I can actually list some shows, but if you wish, by all means.

Yeah, that would be the wisest... I prefer to do my rankings after entire season. 2017 will be a great year. 2016 TV year proved to be better than 2016 movie year. At least for me. 

This thread will also probably still get a few updates for shows that began in the back end of the year and are still airing. Or streams released late in the year (I mean to watch Travellers soon, for example). 

2016 was an excellent year television-wise for me. So,e really standout shows at the top of my list, and even the "average" rankings were of a very high quality. There were only a small handful of shows I watched that I actively disliked, or stopped watching

On 22/12/2016 at 11:20 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

Westworld Season 1

Penny Dreadful Season 3 

Stranger Things 

Peaky Blinders Season 3 

Orphan Black Season 4 

The Expanse Season 1

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency Season 1

Black Mirror Season 3

3%

The OA

Orange is the New Black Season 4 

iZombie S2 

Game of Thrones Season 6 (would have ranked individual episodes higher, but as a whole it fits here for me)

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Season 2

Daredevil S2

War and Peace

Luke Cage Season 1

The Crown Season 1

Outlander S2

House of Cards Season 4

BBC's Undercover

Love (Netflix Original Comedy)

Vikings Season 4a 

OUAT  Season whatever it was (no longer watching)

DNF:

Vikings 4b

Final addition, game of thrones. Still need to finish The Americans and watch Travellers but won't bother adding them to my list

Here's my list. It's funny how things change with time and I know I tend to have a bias of placing more recent shows higher - evidenced by how much Mr Robot just dropped when I did some final revisions

1.       The missing season 2

2.       Line of duty season 3

3.       Westworld Season 1

These were top of the class for me. Westworld would have got the top spot if not for "cheating" the viewer with some misleading edits (something I've punished a few shows for this year. Line of duty dropped points for a silly car chase at the very end but otherwise was excellent. The missing didn't put a foot wrong for me, great acting, story, empathy and twists and turns that fit and were in service of the story rather than just there to catch the viewer out.

4.       Better Call saul Season 2

5.       The americans season 3

6.       Black Mirror season 3

7.       Person of interest season 5

These were all very strong continuations. Black Mirror is odd as it's all made of stand-alones but none of them were bad and several were episodes that really stick

8.       Stranger Things - the only show I watched within 24 hours this year.

9.       Game of Thrones season 6

10.   Daredevil season 2

11.   Black Sails season 3 - slighly disappointing as it was my number one show in 2015. Hopefully season 4 will be the payoff of what was clearly a 2 year arc.

12.   The man in the high castle season 2

13.   Sunny in phili season season 11

14.   HarmonQuest - Probably deserves to be higher but I tend to under-rate comedy and this could arguably be called a celebrity game show. The most fun and almost as addictive as "stranger things"

15.   star wars rebels season 3 - still hasn't finished so might pop up in 2017 list

16.   The expanse season 1

17.   Mr Robot season 2 - show that sat least well with me over the year (was at number 2 early in its run)

18.   Rillingdon place

19.   Preacher season 1

20.   12 monkeys season 2

21.   South park season 2

22.   Fleabag - very impressive comedy/drama debut.

23.   Archer season 7

24.   The night manager

25.   close to the enemy

Everything below are shows I considered "bad" or consisting of too many bad episodes

26.   The fall season 3

27.   Luke Cage season 1

28.   Banshee season 4

29.   Flash Season 2

30.   Vikings season 4 - DNF

31.  Arrow season 4 - gave up after 4 episodes

31.   X-files season 10 - managed it all but it still stunk

A strong year and a stellar one for the BBC for me. Like others have said there's simply too much great stuff to even get around to these days and it's part of the reason I dropped the DC TV shows mid year. In days gone by, I'd probably still watch them to fill the time but I have to be more ruthless. There's still a stack of shows from 2016 I intend to watch and finish. Next year will be a different list as the top 3 is guaranteed to be different as none of them will have sequels airing in 2017. Maybe that's part of their success as all three shows had long gestation periods (2 years for the top two and major reshoots for Westworld). 

EDIT: Walking dead s6 below Flash and walking dead s7 on a similar level with Flash s2

I forgot that I watched The X-files, too. Forgettable season. Besides the fact that I couldn't tell if this show was trying to be serious or not, I don't remember much. I and have no intention of watching anymore if they produce new seasons.

1. Westworld  S1
  2. Black Sails  S3
  3. Daredevil  S2
  4. Penny Dreadful  S3
  5. Stranger Things  S1
  6. Luke Cage  S1
  7. The Man in the High Castle  S2
  8. The Expanse  S1
  9. Star Wars Rebels  S2+S3
  10. Limitless  S1 (cancelled)
  11. Outlander  S2
  12. Marco Polo  S2 (cancelled)
  13. House of Cards  S4
  14. Grimm  S5
  15. Game of Thrones  S6
  16. Mr. Robot  S2
  17. The Blacklist  S3+S4
  18. Sherlock: The Abominable Bride
  19. South Park  S20
  20. Killjoys  S2
  21. Vikings  S4
  22. The Walking Dead  S6+S7
  23. Brooklyn 99  S3+S4???
  24. Agents of SHIELD  S3+S4
  25. Elementary  S4+S5
  26. Dark Matter  S2
  27. The Big Bang Theory  S9+S10
  28. Designated Survivor  S1
  29. Medici: Masters of Florence  S1
  30. Arrow  S4+S5
  31. Once Upon A Time  S5 (no longer watching)
  32. Agent Carter  S2 (cancelled)
  33. Supergirl  S1+S2
  34. Gotham  S2 (no longer watching)
  35. The Flash  S2+S3
  36. The Strain  S3 (probably no longer watching)
  37. The X-Files  S10?
  38. Legends of Tomorrow  S1 (no longer watching)
  39. The Shannara Chronicles  S1 (no longer watching)
  40. Heroes Reborn (cancelled)

40 shows!!! I remember I said I was going to try to limit myself to 30. Har!!! But really, this year, I need to tone it down. :P

Brilliant

• Westworld
  • Better Call Saul S2
  • Narcos S2
  • Gomorrah S2
  • The Night Manager

Very Good

• The Americans S4
  • Bloodline S2
  • Black Sails S3
  • The Night Of
  • Making a Murderer
  • Stranger Things

Disappointing but watchable

• Mr Robot S2
  • Rectify S4
  • Sherlock S4
  • Peaky Blinders S3

Shows I quit / wish I had quit

• Game of Thrones S6
  • Rebellion
  • The Walking Dead S6 & S7
  • House of Cards S4
  • Vikings S4

2 hours ago, dooog said:

Shows I quit / wish I had quit

• Game of Thrones S6
  • Rebellion
  • The Walking Dead S6 & S7
  • House of Cards S4
  • Vikings S4

It's probably quite telling that I watched Walking Dead yet didn't put it on my list!

1. Stranger Things Season 1
  2. The Americans Season 4
  3. Daredevil Season 2
  4. The Night Manager
  5. Game of Thrones Season 6
  6. 3% Season 1
  7. Orange is the New Black Season 4
  8. Sense8 - Christmas Special
  9. The Crown Season 1
  10. Luke Cage Season 1
  11. Outlander Season 2
  12. Marco Polo Season 2