[Spoilers] Rant and Rave Without Reprecussions - Season 6, Tally-Ho

Ran

34 minutes ago, LadySoftheart said:

I'm sure some of it has to do with the fact that Ron Moore has lots of experience writing and producing tv shows: DS9, Battlestar Galactica (which had fantastic and varied female characters -Laura Roslin could have played the game of thrones with the best of them), Carnivale, probably others. I really don't understand why they didn't bring someone with any kind of experience running a show on board for GoT. And RDM doesn't write every single episode himself either! 

Seriously, the sex robot on BSG had more character, personality, motivation, and heart than any of D&D's creations.  Haven't seen Outlander, but I hope for your sake someone helps Ron figure out the ending.

1 minute ago, thehandwipes said:

Seriously, the sex robot on BSG had more character, personality, motivation, and heart than any of D&D's creations.  Haven't seen Outlander, but I hope for your sake someone helps Ron figure out the ending.

It's an adaptation! A faithful one. Diana Gabaldon is writing the ending.

25 minutes ago, LadySoftheart said:

I'm sure some of it has to do with the fact that Ron Moore has lots of experience writing and producing tv shows: DS9, Battlestar Galactica (which had fantastic and varied female characters -Laura Roslin could have played the game of thrones with the best of them), Carnivale, probably others. I really don't understand why they didn't bring someone with any kind of experience running a show on board for GoT. And RDM doesn't write every single episode himself either! 

This reminds me that I just saw an article about a shake-up on HBO's Vinyl.  Seems they got rid of well-respected and successful writer/producer Terence Winter (and he goes all the way back with HBO to Boardwalk Empire and The Sopranos).  Why couldn't that level of concern have happened with GoT?!  (Don't worry, it's a rhetorical question, I know why - I just don't like it...)  Ugh, is right! 

3 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

It's an adaptation! A faithful one. Diana Gabaldon is writing the ending.

Good.  I throw no shade at Ron Moore, BSG was fantastic (for two seasons) before the network and the writers strike ruined it.  But seriously, they said from the beginning they had the story planned out, and that was clearly BS.

14 minutes ago, thehandwipes said:

Yeah, the show was amazing in Season 1 & 2 and even into the beginning of 3.  The Final Five plot seems to be where things turned downhill (in this case from amazing to just good) and if you listen to the podcasts its pretty clear that plot happened because RDM wanted it to, not because it organically developed, and they even had to shoehorn continuity around to do it.

So maybe we have RDM to blame for 'Creatively it made sense to us, because we wanted it to happen.'

2 minutes ago, A_Cornered_Wolf said:

Yeah, the show was amazing in Season 1 & 2 and even into the beginning of 3.  The Final Five plot seems to be where things turned downhill (in this case from amazing to just good) and if you listen to the podcasts its pretty clear that plot happened because RDM wanted it to, not because it organically developed, and they even had to shoehorn continuity around to do it. 

What drives me insane (long, long after I clearly should be over it) is that we were clearly told that this was a story that was planned out in advance and not ad-hoc season by season.  I feel lied to.  And the ending was ridiculous!  Another planet where humans evolved?!?  D&D couldn't do worse than that (bite my tongue)!

1 hour ago, thehandwipes said:

I haven't seen Outlander either - partly because of what happened to BSG in season 4! BUT I did love the first 2.5 seasons quite a lot. And he is an experienced showrunner whose shows have had a plethora of well-rounded and differentiated female characters. Plus, RDM seemingly is actually interested in the books he's adapting for the screen. So that's three things Outlander has going for it that GoT doesn't.

I do think that the final season of BSG was a case of deciding to do something shocking and then not having any idea how to continue with it. (

Spoiler

Starbuck's death

And then they got slammed with the writers' strike so I can cut them some slack, although the finale of BSG was one of the least satisfying endings I've ever had for a show I loved. Nonetheless, unlike D&D, Moore and Eick didn't have thousands of pages by a living author to guide them when they got stuck or wondered about a characters' motivations, so they just get a lot less slack from me on their made-up storylines.

44 minutes ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

The only scifi show where "it was all planned out" actually was true was Babylon 5.  

I really wish there could be a remake of that show, with better effects and better dialogue writing.  

Farscape was great with the season- and series-long arcs as well. And one of my favorite romances ever :)

1 hour ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

The only scifi show where "it was all planned out" actually was true was Babylon 5.  

I really wish there could be a remake of that show, with better effects and better dialogue writing.  

Preaching to the choir, brother.

Found-this-in-the-archive.  I think it has my first ever post on this forum in it. :)

2 hours ago, JonSnow4President said:

Just noticed in season 4, they can't even keep Ned straight.

Arya "Who taught you how to fight"

Brienne "My father."

Arya "Mine never wanted to.  Said fighting was for boys."

I really hate these guys.

:crying: This is so sad. Ned gave her a fucking teacher (you remember Syrio? Arya? Maybe that is why Syrio had to be a pedophile?). Wow. I am just in shock. 

2 hours ago, The Winged Wolf Bran Stark said:

Is it wrong that I want the fact that George's post on his blog about the season 6 premiere (he says the premiere happened, where it happened, the premiere date for everyone else, and drops a trailer) to be an indication of his dissatisfaction with the show and he's just doing the bare minimum to support it? :P

It looks like he is just really been busy (you know with that thing of hundreds pages and we all want)? It is been from 21 March he wrote a bigger post.  

3 hours ago, JonSnow4President said:

Brienne "My father."

But but but... I distinctly remember Sean Bean looking at her proudly... and Jon Snow had the damn thing made just for her... These two boys thought fighting was for her... I hate them, too. They leave nothing good unscathed.

5 hours ago, Alayne's Shadow. said:

Really? That's actually great! I know it will take a decade to decode correctly, but at least it has been found.

They already know what it says, pretty well.

http://www.openculture.com/2015/10/20-new-lines-from-the-epic-of-gilgamesh-discovered-in-iraq-adding-new-dimensions-to-the-story.html

I'm posting this link for fun because , if you want, you can listen to the epic read in Akkadian .

:D

But I hope we don't have to wait much longer !

Titles for eps 2 & 3 allegedly leaked...

No idea if this is true or not. Nor do I care, tbh. Meh. 

6 hours ago, JonSnow4President said:

Brienne "My father."

I was thinking about this the other day!!! Ned was the one who got Syrio Forel to teach her and he was even thinking of getting Barristan Selmy before that. Such a careless mistake, smh. Kind of like when Sansa told Myranda that her mother taught her to sew even though it was obviously Septa Mordane. 

However I did like that they bonded over their swords though. Also the parallel dialogue that Jon and Jaime had when giving them the swords.

Archived