[Spoilers] Rant and Rave Without Reprecussions - Season 6, Tally-Ho

Ran

5 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Agree 100%. I love book!Sansa, too. And I'll also add that I HATE that it seems to most people that you have to love Sansa or love Arya, like, these are mutually exclusive things, which is just beyond preposterous. But back to the issue at hand, yes, it's exactly as Jon tells maester Aemon when he's trying to convince him to let Sam "graduate". And the fact that Sansa has to be turned into some warrior to be seen as "worthy" is a fucking joke, as simple as that. And then we have all the not so subtle changes the writers made, "the woman is important too" turns into "girls are stupid"; "are you so craven?" becomes "you sound like a bloody woman", and now every female character becomes a Xena wannabe, and we're supposed to cheer because it's all so empowering? Fuck that.

Indeed. Sansa in the books was much like Cat, in looks and in skills. She was a natural diplomat and invited people, mostly men, to underestimate her. Fansa, on the other hand, is passive and dumb, and constantly in need of rescue, like the Perils of Sansline. 

The annoying thing is that for all our criticism, D & D are clearly not paying attention, and thats what pisses me off, Dorne could be fixed but clearly the one line of Season 6 scripts hasn't been changed is probably true.  The scripts were probably even written before the backlash from last year. Its so weird that I see people come up with better ideas on forums and boards than two seasoned writers who know where George is going with the story. All I can say is wait season 6 out and give the verdict but please no more bloody Dorne or those campy sand snakes. They're not even Walking Dead standard bad, they're B movie bad. 

24 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Agree 100%. I love book!Sansa, too. And I'll also add that I HATE that it seems to most people that you have to love Sansa or love Arya, like, these are mutually exclusive things, which is just beyond preposterous. But back to the issue at hand, yes, it's exactly as Jon tells maester Aemon when he's trying to convince him to let Sam "graduate". And the fact that Sansa has to be turned into some warrior to be seen as "worthy" is a fucking joke, as simple as that. And then we have all the not so subtle changes the writers made, "the woman is important too" turns into "girls are stupid"; "are you so craven?" becomes "you sound like a bloody woman", and now every female character becomes a Xena wannabe, and we're supposed to cheer because it's all so empowering? Fuck that.

Yes, yes. I'm a fan of both the girls.

But they are different. Arya is a fighter. Sansa is not. And, after spending some time, defending Sansa, you get the feeling that Sansa often takes crap because she is not "a bad ass warrior type". You argue to others  that is not the only important thing about judging a person or liking them. There are other important attributes that make up a person.

And what do D & D do here? They undercut that entire argument. They are basically like, "we'll see Sansa sucked because she wasn't a warrior, but now she is going to be awesome because she will be a warrior this season!"
Like what the fuck?

1 hour ago, Sir Loin Steak said:

He's so close now... if he can just outlast Tommen he should get the Iron Throne by default!

I almost feel the need to send up an old time football cheer for ShowBalon, ya know.  I do still think it's a possibility that Euron will be seen as an Avenging Angel against him.....for Balon having the audacity not to mourn the passing of Theon's peen.  

2 hours ago, SuperMario said:

Maybe it's the ship The Event Horizon from the movie of the same name. The ship could fold space creating an instant time warp. 

The ship somehow ripped a hole in space and ended up in an alternate universe bringing back all sorts of evil and disturbing things. I think that could explain the instant time jumps with the characters and the fact that the characters are not themselves and act opposite and bizarre. In normal Westeros Ramsay is evil, but Event Horizon Westeros Ramsay is a good, sympathetic person.

Cracked the code.

I've had that movie Event Horizon on my mind lately, LOL  Your explanation works, hey.........at least we're trying.  It could help us get through the season.  

1 hour ago, sweetsunray said:

I think Westeros is the Lost island. I'm always on the look-out for some gaint foot at some shore missing a body, and a smoke monster to appear any episode now.

All I need is Naveen Andrews to turn up as a Dothraki who lasts on the show and I may forgive all.  He won't even have to comment how disturbing that LOST toe is, hahahaha.  

Now A Girl is Angry at the shaft that Sayid's death received on Lost.  

Wow! I go away for one day and this tread has grown 19 pages(!) So much to catch up on, but in the meantime, I was doing some counting on my fingers as to how many characters may be left after this season's "bloodbath", assuming the spoilers are true--and why shouldn't they be? So we may be going into Season 7 with the following head count:

THE NORTH/STARKS/ETC.

-Arya

-Sansa

-Bran/Bloodraven(? does he "die" this season?)

-Hodor? (I dunno, D/D have no shame killing off important or beloved characters, even though Hodor is important enough to be seen in one of Bran's visions, I guess he may not be "important", we'll see)

-Jon

-Davos (My favorite character, if D/d Kill him off before GRM does, my anger over Sansa's rape will be nothing compared to this. Davos is the only decent bloke in Westeros, I could do an entire giddy gushing post on him and maybe I will)

Mel (I think she'll make it through, she has to be part of the fight against the Walkers, even in diminished form)

-The Wights/Walkers/NK (Yes, I'm counting these as "a character"--ie THE ENEMY)

-possibly a wounded Ramsey (all the rest of the Boltons may be dead)

-Theon, though he is probably being packed off to Pyke to finally die in peace and go to feast in the Drowned God's watery halls)

KINGS LANDING

-Tyrion

-Cersei

-Jamie (Lannister the home team of House Weiseroff, you KNOW they'll all make it through)

The Tyrells may be dead, House Martell is gone, the Faith Mil may be out and done, so this will be ALL THAT'S LEFT!

ESSOS:

--Dany

-Jorah (he's taking the Jon Con storyline, for some damned reason the ONLY Dorne storyline that counted, but they split that one one in half)

-the dragons

-assorted Dothraki? Who TF knows? though if we are stuck with Khal Monty Python going to Westeros--if he becomes a main character, I will kill a horse and eat its heart for strength to endure the torture)

I think Daario is the Harpy and will be killed off, Grey Worm will die, so the last one here will be:

-Missandei

then we have the 2 weasels,

-Littlefinger

-Varys

Let's see, who else.

-Euron,

-Asha and her paramour (b/c bewbs and we're running out of brothels, someone has to have a relationship besides the Twincest by now)

-Sam, Gilly and LS (though even one of them may be killed off, b/c there are no happy families in Westeros)

-the Hound and Gregor

-Brienne

And that's it! So this is, what, less than 30 characters left, spread all over Planetos. and even that is pushing it,

and the show runners will have had the Wall come down by Ep 10 and all of the "2nd tier" backup characters massacred too, so these 25 or so characters will have to sustain at least *13 hours* of screentime on their own. Only 23 characters if you don't count the Walkers and the dragons as "characters." And HBO will still want the bewbs count. WHAT ARE THEY ALL GOING TO BE DOING???????

I mean, by the endgame, which will be starting Season 7 Episode 1, GOT will only have as many characters in it left as in LOTR. Maybe even less! Unless D/D totally invent new people and give them long conversations and juicy political intruige to fill out the time between battles, REALLY? And we know how well they write dialogue!

They won't be able to use WOW b/d it'll be too late to take from that.  We won't be going to Highgarden, we'll probably never see Casterly Rock oncscreen, the Vale may be done altogether, all the Wildling chracters are dead, the Wall has effectivey already been killed off as a stoyline, the Tarly family you might be able to do something with Randyll but who TF knows, so what is going to fill 13 more hours. Imagine having to invent more for LOTR characters to do over *13 hours*...

1 hour ago, TepidHands said:

Indeed. Sansa in the books was much like Cat, in looks and in skills. She was a natural diplomat and invited people, mostly men, to underestimate her. Fansa, on the other hand, is passive and dumb, and constantly in need of rescue, like the Perils of Sansline. 

Cat? You mean the woman who didn't love Jon Snow?

Episode 4 title appears to be Book of the Stranger (one of the HBO sites has it up). My first thought, Sandor.

There's a line in the books that's cool about Sansa, "she'll be singing to the Stranger, begging for his kiss." GRRM is def talking Sansa and Sandor there.

At the same time, here's Sansa: "He took a song and a kiss, and left me with nothing but a bloody cloak."

And at the same time, Sandor's state of mind is shown to us via his horse, Stranger. He has his master's nature, we are told.

Sansa, Stranger, singing, kiss, bingo.

She places him in the marriage bed, because of "how he kissed her" (cloak in this context is consummation symbolism). 

And about this beat in the book story, Beauty is begging for the Beast's kiss, she thinks he is dead. And the show dropped a bunch of BatB hints.

Yeah, themes are for 8th grade book reports on the show. And I gave up, not saying otherwise, just thinking books here. All of this matters there.

Show had a scene with Sandor very obviously bonding with Stranger. Maybe "book of" is a hint about his whereabouts, aka hanging with the septon dude.

Book of the Dead guides the departed to the afterlife:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_the_Dead

The Hound is dead, Sandor Clegane is at rest. And now he is returning to the main story,  with his guide. This is his afterlife....

McShane's role was said to be of "key importance," and when he describes the role, he says he's "bringing back a much-loved character." 

So the show seems to consider Sandor's return important, They also said after he "died" they "hope you love the Hound" so they wanted us to like him, too.

/speculation, and yes, I know the show is a cosmic joke and it will turn out to be about naked whores instead

(added the link)

7 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Then Roose is like, defeating Stannis was a good victory. Also, defeating Stannis wasn’t shit and you should feel fucking ashamed. Roose be the king of mixed signals, fam. Can you imagine if Roose was your driving instructor?

:lol:

33 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Episode 4 title appears to be Book of the Stranger (one of the HBO sites has it up). My first thought, Sandor.

There's a line in the books that's cool about Sansa, "she'll be singing to the Stranger, begging for his kiss." GRRM is def talking Sansa and Sandor there.

At the same time, here's Sansa: "He took a song and a kiss, and left me with nothing but a bloody cloak."

And at the same time, Sandor's state of mind is shown to us via his horse, Stranger. He has his master's nature, we are told.

Sansa, Stranger, singing, kiss, bingo.

She places him in the marriage bed, because of "how he kissed her" (cloak in this context is consummation symbolism). 

And about this beat in the book story, Beauty is begging for the Beast's kiss, she thinks he is dead. And the show dropped a bunch of BatB hints.

Yeah, themes are for 8th grade book reports on the show. And I gave up, not saying otherwise, just thinking books here. All of this matters there.

Show had a scene with Sandor very obviously bonding with Stranger. Maybe "book of" is a hint about his whereabouts, aka hanging with the septon dude.

McShane's role was said to be of "key importance," and when he describes the role, he says he's "bringing back a much-loved character." 

So the show seems to consider Sandor's return important, They also said after he "died" they "hope you love the Hound" so they wanted us to like him, too.

/speculation, and yes, I know the show is a cosmic joke and it will turn out to be about naked whores instead

I do like idea of McShane's role bringing back a much loved character equaling Sandor (thanks for that info, I really have next to zero knowledge on most bts shit this year, and am mostly glad for it, LOL), along with I do recall hearing questioning of Brienne about Arya as well is coming up?  All of that and........the title, could be equaling some Sandor, Stranger, and His Bits!!  

But.........as you point out at the end....................

Remember the whores as the seven?  hahahaha, maybe The Stranger representative has written a book?  Or has testimony to offer at a trial?  j/k  I do suspect some Sandor, and  hopefully, some fun with Rory.  

This chapter was unbelievably bad.

The whole Dorne storyline already sucked hard in 5th season but if this new episode proved something, it's that it can always get worse. I see the hulking, imposing bodyguard clad in (I guess) the best light armor the kingdom has to offer. Then he goes down like struck by lightning after being backstabbed by a girl with a small knife. I understand the "acceptable break from reality" concept, and know that in fantasy universes armor is prone to behave like butter when confronted with anything remotely sharp, but this particular scene was just too much for me. Natural thing to happen would be "Hotah" slowly turning around, with a wtf look on his face, then the sand fake spending the next 30 minutes of the episode looking for her teeth all around the place.

I also guess this episode's main goal was to introduce the audience to a new interesting plot device: teleport magic. Seen in a certain ship docked in Kings Landing and in a snowy northern forest, where two hounds and their keeper vanished without a trace.

The only positive would be that there was not too much overacting from Emilia Clarke, for a change.

4 minutes ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

I do like idea of McShane's role bringing back a much loved character equaling Sandor (thanks for that info, I really have next to zero knowledge on most bts shit this year, and am mostly glad for it, LOL), along with I do recall hearing questioning of Brienne about Arya as well is coming up?  All of that and........the title, could be equaling some Sandor, Stranger, and His Bits!!  

But.........as you point out at the end....................

Remember the whores as the seven?  hahahaha, maybe The Stranger representative has written a book?  Or has testimony to offer at a trial?  j/k  I do suspect some Sandor, and  hopefully, some fun with Rory.  

There's more... the Book of the Dead guides the departed to the afterlife:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_the_Dead

The Hound is dead, Sandor Clegane is at rest. And now he is returning to the main story,  with his guide. This is his afterlife....

3 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Now, if you're up to some insane reading, look no further:

http://www.polygon.com/2016/4/25/11502106/game-of-thrones-season-6-sansa

The most important part of the scene, which is magnificently shot, b]is Sansa's decision to become an active figure in the battle for Winterfell.[/b] She's no longer a pawn of whoever she's married to or Littlefinger, her mother's friend who's helped her get back to her childhood home. Instead, she is a warrior and a queen, ready to command other soldiers and actively fight. What she used to mock younger sister Arya for wanting is now a role she's stepping into and learning. It's a crucial moment for one of the most developed characters on the show.

Is there some sort of competition this week for the dumbest "feminist" article defending the writing on the show?

3 minutes ago, David Selig said:

Is there some sort of competition this week for the dumbest "feminist" article defending the writing on the show?

Apparently, yes. Mind-boggling, isn't it?

2 hours ago, Prince of the North said:

Yeah, I like both book Sansa and book Arya. I'm very interested to see where Martin takes both of them.

And, for the show runners, it's as if they think only violent men are strong.  Thus, the only way for women to be strong is to be like men:rolleyes: 

UGH, exactly that! 

BTW, it is probably not worth mentioning anymore, but I was again annoyed by Brienne being shown to be a ruthless murderer again. One of the Bolton men asked for mercy after he was beaten while lying down injured and she killed him without a second thought. I am sure D&D thought this was really empowering.

4 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Now, if you're up to some insane reading, look no further:

http://www.polygon.com/2016/4/25/11502106/game-of-thrones-season-6-sansa

The most important part of the scene, which is magnificently shot, b]is Sansa's decision to become an active figure in the battle for Winterfell.[/b] She's no longer a pawn of whoever she's married to or Littlefinger, her mother's friend who's helped her get back to her childhood home. Instead, she is a warrior and a queen, ready to command other soldiers and actively fight. What she used to mock younger sister Arya for wanting is now a role she's stepping into and learning. It's a crucial moment for one of the most developed characters on the show.

I must have missed that. I have not seen that in her yet. I know, sarcasm but I still have not forgotten the hype last year and it must be noted that no matter what Sansa does this year, nothing makes her decision to "willingly" go to Winterfell and marry Bolton's Bastard son make any sense. So, no matter what they do for her character, I am not buying it nor will I forget.

Hmm, good parallel on the possible parallel between book of the dead and book of the Stranger. I really wasn't sold on your idea that it might be at all linked to Sandor until that connection was made.

It'll still probably be about whores though. ;)

Or, you know, the simplest version of "The Stranger" that exists in this show which is of course the theme of death. And we all know how the show creators love to hammer us over the head with death lately.

And ugh, dat new article. No. Just killing my bae. Next thing you know Arya will develop her own lady's courtesy and the two will end up trading places before the end of the season, geez.

Just had a thought...

Ya know what revenge plot I wouldn't mind seeing on screen? 

Karsi's two girls taking out fOlly. How funny would it be for them to show up in episode 2 and just atomic wedgie the hell out of him and say something like, "for the commander", or something. 

1 hour ago, David Selig said:

"But throughout it all, she's embraced everything that's been thrown at her."  

Huh.  And all this time I confused suffering with "embracing."

lmao

Archived