Marvel Cinematic Universe General Discussion 5: Getting some Strange

GallowKnight

1 minute ago, The Wolves said:

Thanks, and I think someone mentioned that Feige and Pearlmutter don't like each other, why? 

Also Disney owns all of Marvel right including the tv shows? So any tv shows that Netflix wants to do has to be approved by Disney? 

Plus Doctor Strange also knows martial arts? In the trailer it looked like he was fighting hand to hand. 

I dunno exactly why they don't get along, but Pearlmutter has a reputation for being really cheap and kinda an asshole. Supposedly he recast James Rhodes because Terrance Howard wanted too much money and he thought all black people looked alike anyway. Here's an article about the conflict between them:

http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/content/kevin-feiges-battle-against-ike-perlmutter-came-head-during-captain-america-civil-war

And yeah Disney approves all the MCU TV shows. I think I read that Fox is trying to make an X-Men show of some kind? Which wouldn't be part of the MCU or have any involvement from Disney.

I hope one day they bring the TV and movie stuff together. Disney just finally did it with Star Wars, by bringing a Clone Wars character into Rogue one. 

2 hours ago, Leap said:

Wasn't Terrence Howard also facing domestic assault charges or something along those lines? That may have been more recent, tbf.

It was after the filming.

2 hours ago, RumHam said:

I dunno exactly why they don't get along, but Pearlmutter has a reputation for being really cheap and kinda an asshole. Supposedly he recast James Rhodes because Terrance Howard wanted too much money and he thought all black people looked alike anyway. Here's an article about the conflict between them:

Howard is of the belief Downey Jr. took a big pay rise at his expense, left him out to dry.

http://screenrant.com/why-terrence-howard-didnt-return-for-iron-man-2-salary/

On why he didn’t return, Howard said:

“It turns out that the person I helped become Iron Man … when it was time to re-up for the second one, (he) took the money that was supposed to go to me and pushed me out.”  

The unnamed “he” is Robert Downey, Jr. , of course. Howard elaborated after host Andy Cohen commented that “The word was that you wanted the same money as Downey.” According to Howard:

“We did a three-picture deal, so that means that you did the deal ahead of time. It was going to be a certain amount for the first one, a certain amount for the second one, a certain amount for the third. They came to me with the second and said, ‘Look, we will pay you one-eighth of what we contractually had for you, because we think the second one will be successful with or without you.’ And I called my friend – that I helped get the first job – and he didn’t call me back for three months.”

It’s been years since then, though – Cohen asked how things are between Howard and his “friend.” Howard’s response was as dry as a post-apocalyptic wasteland:

“Oh, I love him. God’s going to bless him.”

I personally prefer Don Cheadle in the role.

4 hours ago, RumHam said:

And yeah Disney approves all the MCU TV shows. I think I read that Fox is trying to make an X-Men show of some kind? Which wouldn't be part of the MCU or have any involvement from Disney.

They've got a show called Legion about a mutant, there was a link to the trailer in one of the other recent threads.

2 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

It was after the filming.

Howard is of the belief Downey Jr. took a big pay rise at his expense, left him out to dry.

http://screenrant.com/why-terrence-howard-didnt-return-for-iron-man-2-salary/

I personally prefer Don Cheadle in the role.

I prefer Don Cheadle in the role too. And honestly Terrance Howard was not at all a draw card for me for the original. IMO the mistake was telling Howard he was the big draw for the first movie. Howard should get a finders fee for getting RDJr the job though, if indeed he was influential in bringing RDJr on. The movie was never going to succeed or fail based on Howard being there or how Rhodes' character was received. It all hung on RDJr, and the sfx and to some extent the story not sucking.

It's absolutely clear that the studio needed to do pretty much whatever it took to secure RDJr long term for the role, and if that meant probably losing Howard then clearly it was the smart thing to do. RDJr seems like he didn't handle things terribly well on a personal level with Howard, but it's a pretty hard conversation to have so I cut him some slack for choosing to avoid it.

1 hour ago, williamjm said:

They've got a show called Legion about a mutant, there was a link to the trailer in one of the other recent threads.

I think they're working with Fox on this. 

But I refuse to watch anything Fox has done with comic book characters. They suck. 

11 minutes ago, The Wolves said:

I think they're working with Fox on this. 

But I refuse to watch anything Fox has done with comic book characters. They suck. 

It's FX so yeah Fox.

Legion looks good, but he doesn't look like the comic character, and it'll likely have very little connection with other mutant characters. No idea if it's canon in the film universe, seems to be modern day so roughly Deadpool era.

4 hours ago, williamjm said:

I saw that trailer. Not sure what to make of it just yet.

Back to Brie Larsen. I think she needs to hit the gym a bit to give herself a bit more of an athletic look. I'm fine with women in action roles being thin, but they at least need to look like they have good tone if they are going to pull off being an army officer who is highly skilled in hand to hand combat. Being a bean pole and strong is fine for someone like supergirl because she never needed actual muscular strength. But Carol Danvers became combat proficient the old fashioned way, through blood sweat and tears.

2 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I saw that trailer. Not sure what to make of it just yet.

Back to Brie Larsen. I think she needs to hit the gym a bit to give herself a bit more of an athletic look. I'm fine with women in action roles being thin, but they at least need to look like they have good tone if they are going to pull off being an army officer who is highly skilled in hand to hand combat. Being a bean pole and strong is fine for someone like supergirl because she never needed actual muscular strength. But Carol Danvers became combat proficient the old fashioned way, through blood sweat and tears.

I'm confused on when Captain Marvel is coming out. I'm hearing 2018 and 2019. 

Can anyone clear up when it's coming out? 

She defiantly does need to buff up. 

Captain Marvel is 2019. But Col. Carol Danvers, probably not yet having been Kree-ified, will be making an appearance in Infinity War part 1 in 2018.

2019 seems so damned far away. If the wrong person gets elected president of the USA this year all sorts of shit could happen to stop Captain Marvel ever getting on screen. I'll leave it up to each person to decide for themselves who the wrong person is. This ain't a politics thread after all.

• 3 weeks later...

To the surprise of no one, Zendaya was reportedly confirmed to be playing Mary Jane Watson (tho apparently the reveal was supposed to happen near the end of the movie, for some reason???). Pretty good casting, I think, and the fanboy tears will be particularly salty. 

The Flash Thompson casting, however, remains tragic. 

2 hours ago, WolfOfWinter said:

Someone on FB just likened MJ not being a redhead to Peter not having powers...

I dunno.  It's not powers, but red hair has pretty much been the defining aspect of her character since inception.  I don't think it's racist to want to stick with the interpretation of the character that has always been in place.

When it was decided to make Spider-Man ethnically black, Miles Morales was introduced instead of changing Peter.  Much like Stan Lee's statements against people wanting to see a homosexual Spider-Man when he said the character of Peter Parker is not gay, I think the defining characteristic of Mary Jane Watson is that she's a redhead.

I'm perfectly fine with introducing a new love interest for Peter.  And it's cool if she's black.  "Face it Tiger... You just hit the jackpot" should always come from a redhead IMHO.

Never cared for Dunst as a fake redhead either.  I liked Shailene Woodley's casting in ASM2.

I prefer when the actors cast look as close to the physical descriptions of the characters they're playing as possible. Whether it be Johnny Storm, Motoko Kusanagi, Sokka and Katara, Mary Jane Watson or whoever. Guess that makes me racist. I'll just have to learn to live with the label.

2 hours ago, WolfOfWinter said:

Everyone knows red heads have no soul. So yeah, not being a red head is clearly a huge deal.

8 minutes ago, Shaun Snow said:

I prefer when the actors cast look as close to the physical descriptions of the characters they're playing as possible. Whether it be Johnny Storm, Motoko Kusanagi, Sokka and Katara, Mary Jane Watson or whoever. Guess that makes me racist. I'll just have to learn to live with the label.

I tend to agree, but I also support affirmative action, so that means when a white character gets replaced by a minority actor for the movie I'm fine with that, unless there is something essential about the person's whiteness, like they are a member of the KKK or neo-Nazi, that makes it illogical. And of course I don't like it when a minority character gets all whitened up for the movie version of the story.

I guess that makes me a hypocrit. I'll just have to learn to live with it.

4 hours ago, WolfOfWinter said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but didn't MJ dye her hair red? 

It's also ridiculous that a female characters' defining trait is red hair, how boring it should be something more unique. 

Hopefully the writing and Zendaya make this character(if she is MJ)interesting. MJ has always been boring and all I've ever seen her as was Peter Parker's love interest. So hopefully she's different and something other than Peter's love interest. 

Hulu Orders ‘Marvel’s Runaways’ Series

EXCLUSIVE: Hulu is getting into the Marvel business with an order to Runaways, a drama series based on the fan-favorite Marvel Comics books. It comes from Gossip Girl creators Josh SchwartzStephanie Savage, Marvel Television and ABC Signature. The order is for a pilot plus additional scripts with an eye toward a full-season greenlight.

Created by Brian K. Vaughan and Adrian Alphona, the Runaways comics feature a group of teenagers who discover that their parents are part of an evil crime organization.

3 hours ago, Rhom said:

I dunno.  It's not powers, but red hair has pretty much been the defining aspect of her character since inception.  I don't think it's racist to want to stick with the interpretation of the character that has always been in place.

When it was decided to make Spider-Man ethnically black, Miles Morales was introduced instead of changing Peter.  Much like Stan Lee's statements against people wanting to see a homosexual Spider-Man when he said the character of Peter Parker is not gay, I think the defining characteristic of Mary Jane Watson is that she's a redhead.

I'm perfectly fine with introducing a new love interest for Peter.  And it's cool if she's black.  "Face it Tiger... You just hit the jackpot" should always come from a redhead IMHO.

Never cared for Dunst as a fake redhead either.  I liked Shailene Woodley's casting in ASM2.

It would be nice if a female character could be elevated to the point where she is defined by more than just her hair colour though, so I really care if she isn't a redhead. 

Archived