Marvel Cinematic Universe General Discussion 5: Getting some Strange

GallowKnight

I never really got the Aquaman trashing, but from my pserpective the DC heroes have always seemed a little more gimmicky. Aquaman is and can't seem to escape (in popculture at least) the idea that he's just some guy who can ask sea creatures to turn up.

Namors very obscurity (relatively) is in that way a boon. People don't go in with a notion of that character.

3 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

http://uploads.neatorama.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/aquaman.jpg

/Not sure that matters much in the grand scheme of things.

Eh. I always liked him, especially when they started messing with his good old boy image back in the 80s when he was helming a younger Justice League, i.e. kind of edgy and definitely manipulative, using his mind control on fellow team members, etc 

At heart, Arthur is the displaced prince archetype with a serious chip on his shoulder, and is physically quite powerful. While his telepathy has been downplayed since 2011, he's since gotten some mystical power ups. Give him his trident and Mera as back up, and those two are hard to beat. Playing with the Atlantean mythos and maybe Black Manta as chief antagonist could be a fun movie.

I still view Momoa as one of the larger casting travesties-- Arthur is an intelligent, complex character that I'm not sure he can portray. We'll see I guess.

Namor on the other hand, is someone I always skipped. I'm not sure if I care at all whether the MCU can work the Fantastic Four back under their aegis and introduce Namor from there. 

3 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

Eh. I always liked him, especially when they started messing with his good old boy image back in the 80s when he was helming a younger Justice League, i.e. kind of edgy and definitely manipulative, using his mind control on fellow team members, etc 

At heart, Arthur  the displaced prince archetype with a serious chip on his shoulder, and is physically quite powerful. While his telepathy has been downplayed since 2011, he's since gotten some mystical power ups. Give him his trident and Mera as back up, and those two are hard to beat. Playing with the Atlantean mythos and maybe Black Manta as chief antagonist could be a fun movie.

I still view Momoa as one of the larger casting travesties-- Arthur is an intelligent, complex character that I'm not sure he can portray. We'll see I guess.

Namor on the other hand, is someone I always skipped. I'm not sure if I care at all whether the MCU can work the Fantastic Four back under their aegis and introduce Namor from there. 

That Craig Hamilton Limited series back in the 80's was solid. Outside of that, not much to like IMHO. But the same holds true for Namor more or less.

Fair enough. 

Getting back on point, I'd love to see the MCU branch into Alien Legion. Sarigar, Montroc, Jugger Grimrod, and co are a great ensemble cast that could mine the full on space opera/war field for them. 

5 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

I'm alright with them waiting with Namor until the universe is more established. He is by his nature a disruptor. That's what he really brought to the Illuminati, his abrasive behavior. He's very good at opposing, arguing with or just calling out on their bullshit our traditional heroes.

1. I'd much rather see a genuine Ronin and Mockingbird than any other Hawkeye stuff, thought they might got here with Agents of SHIELD but no. And if they do Thunderbolts got to have Moonstone, for her rivalry with Captain Marvel (one of the few things to like about Dark Avengers.)

2. Yes.

3. Not sure I like this development, but frankly Planet Hulk would have been a nightmare to tell anyway, and kind of requires WWH (if it's told faithfully) which is both boring and time consuming.

4. I hope Attilan is on the moon, because god damn it if they aren't a well established monarchy when we get to them.

I'm foolishly clinging to the idea of a Thunderbolts movie, and my denial must be super strong because I think MCU is at the crossroads where they could introduce, at least the Big Four of the first incarnation of the team:

1) We've got Zemo already, so that's great

2) Moonstone is, IMO, a shoo-in for the villain in Captain Marvel

3) Beetle could make an appearance in Spider-Man: Homecoming since he's a foe Spidey shares with Iron Man and we know the latter's showing up there

4) This is admittedly the trickiest, but I've long thought Songbird could appear in Black Panther as a minor character/villain given that her powers are so similar to Klaw's.

So you throw those four, plus Hawkeye and one or two other villains (Justin Hammer, perhaps? Abomination?), and you have a movie worth seeing, in my opinion. 

Of course, we should be hearing about those castings right around now, but much like Bernie Sanders, I won't lose hope just yet. 

Also, I think the first part of Planet Hulk could work without necessarily adapting the WWH arc, which is what I guess they'll do in Ragnarok anyway. 

And yes, agreed about Attilan, for sure. Even though I didn't like the MCU version of him, I think it's a shame they killed off Quicksilver so soon because he could've worked as a sort of audience surrogate to introduce mainstream audiences to the weirdness of the Inhumans, with the whole Crystal thing and all that. 

40 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

Fair enough. 

Getting back on point, I'd love to see the MCU branch into Alien Legion. Sarigar, Montroc, Jugger Grimrod, and co are a great ensemble cast that could mine the full on space opera/war field for them. 

Loved Alien Legion, but it didn't really have any connection to the MCU. Would love to see that movie though.

Yeah, I do wonder if they plan using any of their franchises from their Epic line, although... 

Alien Legion has been optioned and remains in development limbo. Maybe the problem, or likely reason we won't see it in the MCU is that Marvel doesn't really own any of the Epic properties' rights? Shame. Awesome property. 

14 hours ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

I'm not sure I see Brie Larson as Captain Marvel. I was a bit too attached to the idea of Katheryn Winnick or Yvonne Strahovski. The age difference alone is going to be problem to ship her with War Machine, and that's a bummer. I know that didn't stop Vision/Scarlet Witch, but still.

Its Hollywood, there's a huge double standard around looks and you cant risk a woman suddenly looking much older with each film.

1 hour ago, Red Tiger said:

Its Hollywood, there's a huge double standard around looks and you cant risk a woman suddenly looking much older with each film.

Sadly, yes. Even Aunt May is getting younger and younger with each film, Benjamin Button style. 

3 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Yeah, that was a real WTF moment for me in Civil War, when she was introduced.

I have an aunt who is only 12 years older than I am. Also, May isn't even a blood relation to Peter, maybe the MCU Uncle Ben married a much younger woman.

16 hours ago, JEORDHl said:

Yeah, I do wonder if they plan using any of their franchises from their Epic line, although... 

Alien Legion has been optioned and remains in development limbo. Maybe the problem, or likely reason we won't see it in the MCU is that Marvel doesn't really own any of the Epic properties' rights? Shame. Awesome property. 

I think Marvel still owns those Epic properties, but the creators have more rights than they would with regular mainline Marvel comics.

Wouldn't mind seeing a movie version of Jim Starlin's Dreadstar. That could be fun. Might be a little to similar to GotG, but I loved those characters and that universe. 

3 hours ago, mormont said:

Eh. It never made any sense that teenage Peter Parker's aunt was a frail octogenarian, anyway.

I agree. When my only Spider-Man exposure was the 90's cartoon I just assumed Uncle Ben had been Peter's dad's uncle. Marisa Tomei is about 50, so if Peter's a teenager, her nephew was born when she was in her early to mid 30's. That seems about right.

I agree completely that the Thor franchise isn't bad or good. It's a good movie followed by a bad movie. The weird thing about Thor 2 is that I remember having a decent time in the theater on first viewing, but every subsequent time I've seen it it's just gotten more cringeworthy. I still appreciate Thor 1 as a good fish-out-of-water movie, but Thor 2 had completely bland villains and completely bland environments. I still enjoy a couple of elements, like the Portal climax, the Cap cameo and ... well, not much else, but goddamn how I wish those had been attached to a better movie.

EDIT: I now realize that the Thor franchise was discussed back on page 6 or something. Well, HERE'S MY BELATED OPINION.

14 hours ago, Maltaran said:

I have an aunt who is only 12 years older than I am. Also, May isn't even a blood relation to Peter, maybe the MCU Uncle Ben married a much younger woman.

Unlce Ben could just be a lot younger too? Could be RDJR's age. Although obviously Ben is already dead but I suspect they won't be able to resist telling us for the third time in 15 years that he died.

6 hours ago, red snow said:

Unlce Ben could just be a lot younger too? Could be RDJR's age. Although obviously Ben is already dead but I suspect they won't be able to resist telling us for the third time in 15 years that he died.

Telling us is fine, they probably should keep Ben's death as something that still haunts him. Especially as I'm guessing it happened fairly recently since he's only had his powers six months. I think we just don't need to see it again. 

20 hours ago, Maltaran said:

While Marisa Tomei is a bit of a shock compared to Aunt May's normal appearance, it really doesn't require any complicated explaining- 50 is a perfectly normal age for the aunt of a 15-year-old boy.

6 hours ago, red snow said:

Perhaps in MCU Uncle Ben doesn't exist and role shall be taken by Tony... Now that he is single again, to quote RDJ "think about possibilities" :) 

Archived