Marvel Cinematic Universe General Discussion 5: Getting some Strange

GallowKnight

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

While Marisa Tomei is a bit of a shock compared to Aunt May's normal appearance, it really doesn't require any complicated explaining- 50 is a perfectly normal age for the aunt of a 15-year-old boy.

I didn't actually know how old she was, I was assuming from all the criticism that she was probably in her 30s.

2 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

I didn't actually know how old she was, I was assuming from all the criticism that she was probably in her 30s.

She is 51, but could pass for early 30's, methinks. Let's just say that it won't be at all shocking when Doc Ock proposes to her. The woman is quite attractive, regardless of her age.

31 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

Of course, "in her 30s" is also a perfectly normal age for an 15 year old's aunt (says he, aged 40 with 4 nieces in their 20s)

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Telling us is fine, they probably should keep Ben's death as something that still haunts him. Especially as I'm guessing it happened fairly recently since he's only had his powers six months. I think we just don't need to see it again. 

Fingers crossed. I do think it's an essential element of him becoming a hero we just don't need to sit through it again. I'll be happy with him feeling guilt over it.

1 hour ago, Risto said:

Perhaps in MCU Uncle Ben doesn't exist and role shall be taken by Tony... Now that he is single again, to quote RDJ "think about possibilities" :) 

That would defintely shake things up!

On 04/06/2016 at 2:55 AM, Good Guy Garlan said:

Sadly, yes. Even Aunt May is getting younger and younger with each film, Benjamin Button style. 

On 04/06/2016 at 4:43 AM, Martell Spy said:

Yeah, that was a real WTF moment for me in Civil War, when she was introduced.

Erm, Marisa Tomei is 52 years old. I'm in my mid-40s and I have 2 sons who are older than CW's Peter Parker. Arguably this Aunt May is the most age appropriate Aunt May ever seen for any Peter Parker who is under 25 years of age. And even for a 30-year old Peter Parker an Aunt who is under 60 is still plenty realistic.

I love Marisa Tomei's casting as a long term investment in that character. And someone who can be more than the hand wringing, stay at home aunt to occasional;y imparts grand-parent-y advice.

On 6/4/2016 at 3:10 PM, denstorebog said:

I agree completely that the Thor franchise isn't bad or good. It's a good movie followed by a bad movie. The weird thing about Thor 2 is that I remember having a decent time in the theater on first viewing, but every subsequent time I've seen it it's just gotten more cringeworthy. I still appreciate Thor 1 as a good fish-out-of-water movie, but Thor 2 had completely bland villains and completely bland environments. I still enjoy a couple of elements, like the Portal climax, the Cap cameo and ... well, not much else, but goddamn how I wish those had been attached to a better movie.

EDIT: I now realize that the Thor franchise was discussed back on page 6 or something. Well, HERE'S MY BELATED OPINION.

Thor 2's villains should've been Enchantress + Executioner, played by Evan Rachel Wood and Adewale Akinnuoye Agbaje, respectively. Christopher Eccleston hated being in this movie anyway. 

As for Aunt May, her age is obviously realistic, but it's a bit jarring when compared to the more traditional depiction of the character, at least for me. 

On 6/5/2016 at 0:37 PM, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

She is 51, but could pass for early 30's, methinks. Let's just say that it won't be at all shocking when Doc Ock proposes to her. The woman is quite attractive, regardless of her age.

I thought precisely of that storyline the minute she showed up onscreen. It's harder to see why she would settle for that bowl-cut doofus, though. 

On 6/4/2016 at 4:10 PM, denstorebog said:

I agree completely that the Thor franchise isn't bad or good. It's a good movie followed by a bad movie. The weird thing about Thor 2 is that I remember having a decent time in the theater on first viewing, but every subsequent time I've seen it it's just gotten more cringeworthy. I still appreciate Thor 1 as a good fish-out-of-water movie, but Thor 2 had completely bland villains and completely bland environments. I still enjoy a couple of elements, like the Portal climax, the Cap cameo and ... well, not much else, but goddamn how I wish those had been attached to a better movie.

EDIT: I now realize that the Thor franchise was discussed back on page 6 or something. Well, HERE'S MY BELATED OPINION.

I agree with your assessments of both Thor 1 and 2, but more so than Spider-Man Homecoming and Peter's new, hot Aunt May, I'm looking forward to Thor 3: Ragnarok. It's been described as a Thor/Hulk buddy movie and this is something the world needs. Not to mention what will hopefully be Hulk v Loki 2!

On 07/06/2016 at 4:20 PM, Good Guy Garlan said:

I thought precisely of that storyline the minute she showed up onscreen. It's harder to see why she would settle for that bowl-cut doofus, though. 

3 hours ago, Knight of Ashes said:

It's  those extra appendages. :leer:

Being famous or even infamous has it's advantages too.

3 hours ago, Bastard of Boston said:

He seems like he could be Miles Morales, I'm thinking at some stage there has to be a Spiderman reboot that actually brings Miles into the movie scene. And since it seems like nailing the Spiderman flag to the MCU pole means a long term commitment to not doing any more hard resets Sony really needs to embed the option of transitioning to Mile Morales if/when Tom Holland as Peter Parker stops working, or he no longer wants to extend commitments to the role. OTOH if Miles Morales is appearing now, that could be a potentially long time for Donald Glover to be dangling on a hook waiting for his time.

So probably not Miles Morales.

40 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

He seems like he could be Miles Morales, I'm thinking at some stage there has to be a Spiderman reboot that actually brings Miles into the movie scene. And since it seems like nailing the Spiderman flag to the MCU pole means a long term commitment to not doing any more hard resets Sony really needs to embed the option of transitioning to Mile Morales if/when Tom Holland as Peter Parker stops working, or he no longer wants to extend commitments to the role. OTOH if Miles Morales is appearing now, that could be a potentially long time for Donald Glover to be dangling on a hook waiting for his time.

So probably not Miles Morales.

If his character's name is Mile Morales, I'd say that's just a nod to the comics and an indication that Holland is here to stay as Spiderman. It makes no sense for Morales to be older than Parker and then eventually inherit the mantle when he's like forty. 

I can't imagine why they would bring Spiderman as Miles Morales, like, ever.

It's a comic representation. That's it. The overwhelming majority of people have never once heard of Morales. For them, Spider Man is Peter Parker. He has an aunt, her name is May. They'd sooner bring in the Spider-Clone story than Morales. 

Which sucks - I'd love for them to do it. But the notion that the giant, risk-averse movies that are banking on name recognition and brand recognition are going to switch to something in more recent comics is absurd.

He'll be one of the less evil bad guys, one of the punch-clock villains in Spidey's rogues gallery like Beetle or Puma. My hope is that he's Mysterio. He's fun, and forces Spidey to use all of his powers and gives Parker the chance to show off the technological angle they are giving him (I've heard RDJ will have a cameo).

Then, movie two would be a great opportunity for Kraven's Last Hunt to be the A-story and flesh out the supporting cast in the background, Black Cat, etc.

Then, to cap off the trilogy, you get the Michael Keaton payoff as the Goblin. Wonderful character arc from newbie to a darker second installment and then the arch-enemy in the third act.

On the Miles Moralez thing, a large part of why people want him is because of his race (not that that's a bad thing,) so simply just consider non-white actors for Peter Parker. I can't think of any reason Peter needs to be white, but you still get the name recognition. Sure you'd get backlash from morons like there was about Johnny Storm and Finn, but fuck those guys.

2 hours ago, SerPaladin said:

Then, to cap off the trilogy, you get the Michael Keaton payoff as the Goblin.

He's almost certainly the Vulture, they've said it's a villain we've not previously seen, so it can't be GG. The only classic Sinister Six left are Mysterio, Kraven and Vulture. He's realistic no Kraven, Mysterio seems too weird for a debut(ish) film (and he's be wated behind the helmet,) and he was Birdman for gods sake, got to be Vulture. Vulture was also intended for Spider-Man 4 with John Malkovich.

8 hours ago, Kalbear said:

It's a comic representation. That's it. The overwhelming majority of people have never once heard of Morales. For them, Spider Man is Peter Parker. He has an aunt, her name is May. They'd sooner bring in the Spider-Clone story than Morales. 

Which sucks - I'd love for them to do it. But the notion that the giant, risk-averse movies that are banking on name recognition and brand recognition are going to switch to something in more recent comics is absurd.

While Spiderman was it's own isolated franchise it was probably not possible. But now that he's in the MCU it is entirely possible to transition to Mile Morales and bring the audience along. Especially since Sony can no longer simply hit the reset button and do another Peter Parker Spiderman origin and bring in a new young actor. Unless the arrangement has a short-ish lifespan and Sony gets full independence again Peter Parker as Spiderman now has a limited shelf-life. 

If Disney/Marvel have a real long term vision for the MCU then they need to be succession planning for the main heroes, unless they are going to pull off a soap opera transition and at the beginning of a movie have a voice over saying "Steve Rogers is now being played by ...[not Chris Evans]"

15 hours ago, Kalbear said:

I disagree about Miles. I think the character really has some traction over at Marvel Comics and that's why they incorporated him into the "main" 616 Marvel Comics universe. Also, I think Marvel Comics is a little peeved with playing catch-up to the film & TV franchises (Agents of SHIELD characters, Nick Fury) and could possibly be setting up stuff in the comics to more coincide with what the films will look like post Infinity Gauntlet films (aka Avengers 3 & 4). So a female Thor, Falcon as the new Cap, and likely even a bi-racial Spidey in a black and red costume) could be in theaters around 2020.

And likely around 2025-2030 (That's assuming we're all still here and Supreme Chancellor Trump hasn't obliterated the world.) I could see the whole MCU being rebooted a la Secret Wars in the comics. Or heck, it's very possible Avengers 4 will be the reboot point. You gotta figure this current iteration of the MCU really hinges on Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man. RDJ is in his 50s now, so is he really going to be Iron Man in his 60s? Eh, possibly but not likely.

Archived