TTTNE CDLXIV - You can't take the sky from me

ab aeterno

48 minutes ago, ab aeterno said:

I haven't minded season 4 so far. It's not as good as the past few, but better than the start of S1, I'd say. We'll see how part 2 does. Hopefully less Aslaug. 

*shudders* Aslaug :uhoh: 

10 hours ago, RhaeBee said:

:lol: one time I deliberately skipped the swim day with a friend, ignored the call when the teacher tried to call our mobiles, went to her house and even set our parents against the teacher with a couple small changes of the actual story. *cringes* that's how you get bad karma kids. We both got "inexcused leave" for the day and were very proud of it. (As two goodie goodies, we always got all the praise and top grades and inexcused leave was a sweet novelty, school would not have been complete without it) my other favorite bad student moment was stealing the school passes (a ticket basically you needed to leave the school building during the day) :lol:

Bad girl! :lol:

The only three "inexcused" hours I got were in the first year of high school (this was my ninth year in the education system, for those with different systems), and technically I was present in class for all of them ...

Two were because I mixed up the alternate weeks in which two different groups had class and did not come on the week when it was my group's turn. I then joined the other group next week, and agreed with the teacher of that class, but my classteacher did not erase those hours anyway.

The thrid one was when one of the teachers had the awful habit of writing us down as missing for the whole hour even if we just missed like three minutes - which happened often because there were often long lines in the girls' toilets during those 5 minutes' pauses. My classteacher just wrote down the whole hour as missing for me.

Otherwise, I was not absent any hours at all that year. Funny how I remember that classteacher in a really positive light now.

8 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Its actually pretty good for the BBC. It has a few problems but inwas generally happy with it, even being the awful book purist that i am. It was pretty faithful to the books, and all the changes were understandable.

I like to think of it as the sequel to Vikings... (which had a shit season 4a by-the-by...)

This right here would be the reason for me not to watch it ... I found the book to be bad.

I finally finished The Lies of Locke Lamora yesterday though. :read:

5 hours ago, Gryka zwyczajna said:

Bad girl! :lol:

The only three "inexcused" hours I got were in the first year of high school (this was my ninth year in the education system, for those with different systems), and technically I was present in class for all of them ...

Two were because I mixed up the alternate weeks in which two different groups had class and did not come on the week when it was my group's turn. I then joined the other group next week, and agreed with the teacher of that class, but my classteacher did not erase those hours anyway.

The thrid one was when one of the teachers had the awful habit of writing us down as missing for the whole hour even if we just missed like three minutes - which happened often because there were often long lines in the girls' toilets during those 5 minutes' pauses. My classteacher just wrote down the whole hour as missing for me.

Otherwise, I was not absent any hours at all that year. Funny how I remember that classteacher in a really positive light now.

This right here would be the reason for me not to watch it ... I found the book to be bad.

I finally finished The Lies of Locke Lamora yesterday though. :read:

I only had that "inexcused" day throughout high school, because I was usually careful and good girl enough to arrange an excuse whenever I was absent. But we were threatened with that all the time too. That the teacher would mark the whole class missed if we are late. We were late all the time, but the school didn't want bad statistics so they never kept to that threat. 

I don't know about the book, but the story I watched was just cheap writing whoever wrote it. The characters were boring, the performances accordingly dull. The lead was the only notable character and actor. Even though I kinda felt like he was a measured cross-over between Ragnar and Henry (Travis Fimmel and Jonathan Rhys-Meyers). 

Afternoon thread

We just did the draw for the office Euro 2016 sweepstakes and I got...  A L B A N I A

That's right the same as my team here. Clearly this is a sign that Albania will overcome the 500/1 odds and win the lot in their first ever Euro appearance.

Come on Albania!

Its either that or I'm in line to get the £10 prize for last place in the sweepstakes....

This is my mind everytime I visit a webstore.

Brain: I need to not spend money the next few weeks, I have a vacation plan and it'll require most of my savings.
Heart: But look at this box set of The Wire for €50. It's relatively cheap and has a nice cover.
Brain: I don't need it, I could download those episodes just as well.
Heart: Buying them is more fun. And it has a 9.4 rating on IMDB!
Brain: But the vacation is more important, I've already spent plenty of money on alcohol and buying this might mean you don't have enough money to go on that vacation.
Heart: Nine. Point. Four! It's in the Top 5!
Brain: I need that money!
Heart: *orders The Wire*

But hey, it'll be delivered tomorrow!

ETA: I also need to write a resume and I've never had a job. Blank space in a document has never looked quite this blank.

17 hours ago, ab aeterno said:

I haven't minded season 4 so far. It's not as good as the past few, but better than the start of S1, I'd say. We'll see how part 2 does. Hopefully less Aslaug. 

17 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

*shudders* Aslaug :uhoh: 

Glad it's not just me who hates her.

And now young Aslaug.....you will die.

On 7 June 2016 at 4:34 PM, First of My Name said:

Why am I so terrible at adulting? I left too late and missed an important train because I forgot the pass I need to get on, and had also neglected to bring any keys, so I was locked out of the house when no one was home. Had to drag my dad my work so he could drive me to the destination. Stuff like this happens almost every time I attempt to use public transportation -_-

Learn to drive then.

1 hour ago, Lord Sidious said:

Learn to drive then.

I AM learning how to drive, but until I finally get my license I'm dependant en bikes, busses and parents.

Tonight me and a friend are going to binge-watch Avatar. We're hopng to finish season 1 at least (that's 7 hours' worth). We've agreed that we have to drink beer everytime the word 'avatar' is spoken. Curious how this will turn out.

6 hours ago, theAlbanianGoat said:

We just did the draw for the office Euro 2016 sweepstakes and I got...  A L B A N I A

That's right the same as my team here. Clearly this is a sign that Albania will overcome the 500/1 odds and win the lot in their first ever Euro appearance.

Pffffft. You know nothing, Albanian Goat. Obviously the glorious POLSKA will defend all the puny opposers and emerge victorious! :commie:

4 hours ago, First of My Name said:

ETA: I also need to write a resume and I've never had a job. Blank space in a document has never looked quite this blank.

Good luck with it! Do you need it for a summer job?

1 hour ago, First of My Name said:

I AM learning how to drive, but until I finally get my license I'm dependant en bikes, busses and parents.

And taxis? :P

The particular friend is coming over tomorrow evening. I am slightly excited about this. ;) The downside is that the weather might be bad for the whole weekend.

3 hours ago, First of My Name said:

Tonight me and a friend are going to binge-watch Avatar. We're hopng to finish season 1 at least (that's 7 hours' worth). We've agreed that we have to drink beer everytime the word 'avatar' is spoken. Curious how this will turn out.

It's pretty easy to learn really, although I hated the reverse parking manoeuvre, unsure if you have it there or not though.

I'm not a big fan of driving either really, would much rather be riding a motorcycle, except now because I crashed one and injured myself.

3 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

How so? I thought it was better written than Vikings for sure. 

Half the plot consisted of Uhtred being a hotheaded idiot that got him from one mess to the other. The other half didn't make sense, be that Young Ragnar, Leofric or Uhtred's women. My absolute favorite was the story of the loss of the Briton shadow queen's virginity. Here we have a queen whose powers are bound to her maiden hood, but she is Uhtred's love interest for two or three episodes. So how do we get her to sleep with him in spite of the issue of her powers...? Damn, how should we...? Of course! Let's get her attribute the unclear death of a stranger infant (which in itself was a joke) to her powers! Sickened by the assumed negative consequence of her powers, she is desperate to be rid of the burden and give it up along with her maidenhood. Problem solving level 300. But the story of the forgotten sister is equally notably stupid. I wondered for a while if anybody was going to do anything about that poor sod but no, not even one mention so I was like okay, case closed. Then in the very last episode they drop this You have a sister who's in the north being jeynepooled by your enemy. How do I know that? Oh that viking whispered it in my ear to taunt you. Because that makes sense on every level. Another mention. Remember that sister from seven episodes ago? Yeah, she's been being tortured ever since. Do you want to do something about that? Oh wait, season is over, never mind. 

1 hour ago, RhaeBee said:

Half the plot consisted of Uhtred being a hotheaded idiot that got him from one mess to the other. The other half didn't make sense, be that Young Ragnar, Leofric or Uhtred's women. My absolute favorite was the story of the loss of the Briton shadow queen's virginity. Here we have a queen whose powers are bound to her maiden hood, but she is Uhtred's love interest for two or three episodes. So how do we get her to sleep with him in spite of the issue of her powers...? Damn, how should we...? Of course! Let's get her attribute the unclear death of a stranger infant (which in itself was a joke) to her powers! Sickened by the assumed negative consequence of her powers, she is desperate to be rid of the burden and give it up along with her maidenhood. Problem solving level 300. But the story of the forgotten sister is equally notably stupid. I wondered for a while if anybody was going to do anything about that poor sod but no, not even one mention so I was like okay, case closed. Then in the very last episode they drop this You have a sister who's in the north being jeynepooled by your enemy. How do I know that? Oh that viking whispered it in my ear to taunt you. Because that makes sense on every level. Another mention. Remember that sister from seven episodes ago? Yeah, she's been being tortured ever since. Do you want to do something about that? Oh wait, season is over, never mind. 

Hmmm I mean Uhtred being a hothead is his character. If that annoys you I can see it being deal breaker. None of your other nit picks bothered me much at all. 

10 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Hmmm I mean Uhtred being a hothead is his character. If that annoys you I can see it being deal breaker. None of your other nit picks bothered me much at all. 

These count as nitpicks? Well, it really doesn't matter, whatever they count as I thought the show sucked. But each to their own, and I have a tendency to have the unpopular opinion regarding movies and shows anyways. cough madmax cough 

Morning thread

The Last Kingdom started out with such promise but by the end it had completely lost me too. Uhtred had become such an unlikeable asshat that I really just wanted him to die from a sucking chest wound in the most painful kind of way. That would have improved the series no end. Needless to say I won't be back for season two.

I feel much the same way about the CW-DCverse shows. I liked the first couple of seasons of Arrow and the first season of Flash because they managed to pack in so much plot progression and weren't afraid to kill off characters, things moved along fast enough that I was able to forgive the dumb stuff. But now that there are 4 shows the quality of the writing has dropped too far below my ability to ignore the stupidity of the entire thing. So I really don't have time for them anymore.

But to talk about a show that I do like right now, Penny Dreadful is ticking all the right boxes. Incredible acting performances all round from a great cast. A story that evokes just the right level of pulpy genre goodness with some pretty disturbing visual imagery, twists and turns. Worth checking out if you haven't already done so.

I have a busy weekend ahead of me. I'm going to a BBQ hosted by our very own Pebble tomorrow. There will be a few of the UK BWB folks there and we'll have some board games, werewolf, good food and good company to enjoy. I'm hoping for good weather to go with it but the forecast is not looking so hot right now...

Welcome back DP.

20 hours ago, Gryka zwyczajna said:

Good luck with it! Do you need it for a summer job?

And taxis? :P

The particular friend is coming over tomorrow evening. I am slightly excited about this. ;) The downside is that the weather might be bad for the whole weekend.

Yes, it looks like I might've found one.

Also an option, but they're too expensive for my liking.

Enjoy ;) 

19 hours ago, Lord Sidious said:

It's pretty easy to learn really, although I hated the reverse parking manoeuvre, unsure if you have it there or not though.

I'm not a big fan of driving either really, would much rather be riding a motorcycle, except now because I crashed one and injured myself.

Nah, not for me, but part of that might be the irregularity with which I've been taking lessons (There was a gap of 5 weeks between the last two, due to exams). And any kind of reverse driving annoys me.

Lord Sidious, you are old and feeble-boned, you shouldn't be driving motorcycles. Were the injuries bad?

1 hour ago, First of My Name said:

Welcome back DP.

Yes, it looks like I might've found one.

Also an option, but they're too expensive for my liking.

Enjoy ;) 

Nah, not for me, but part of that might be the irregularity with which I've been taking lessons (There was a gap of 5 weeks between the last two, due to exams). And any kind of reverse driving annoys me.

Lord Sidious, you are old and feeble-boned, you shouldn't be driving motorcycles. Were the injuries bad?

I broke a rib and sprained my wrist, but I'm healing well, after all, the dark side of the force is a pathway to many abilities some consider unnatural.

Archived