Video Games: France not a WWI Nation

Werthead

2 hours ago, MerenthaClone said:

I am...not good at Overwatch. 

One of those hard truths most people would rather not face. My win rate on defense is probably going to plummet once that console Torbjorn nerf hits. But hey I have fun.

It's funny because I'd like to think I'm good at first person shooters. But not being able to aim down the sights changes the whole equation for me. It should be about strategy and synergy more than aiming, but honestly it's not because so few people ever bother to talk on Xbox. 

On 25/6/2016 at 9:57 AM, KiDisaster said:

Life is Strange is phenomenal though. 

On 25/6/2016 at 11:31 AM, Jasta11 said:

Life is Strange is weird. Those who like it, love it with a passion. Those who don't seem to really hate it. Apparently the game tries your patience with Telltale-style insignificant choices, as well as dialog that lost a bit in translation and was obviously written by someone who hasn't been an actual teenager in some time. But under that, the story is actually quite good overall, I heard.

Myself, I have no patience for Telltale-esque games, so I didn't get it.

I think there are two components here, most of the puzzles were kinda annoying but they weren't enough to ruin the game if you were enjoying it.  The story itself is (IMO) an emotionally driven one, if it succeeds with engaging you on that level and that's something you like then it's phenomenal, if you don't like that sort of thing then you're likely to hate it and the puzzles would then be that much more aggravating.  I think most of the criticism of the writing is actually off base, it was a bit clunky in Ep1 but after that its pretty good.  Most of the people saying 'you havent been/spoken to a teenager in a long time' themselves haven't been/spoken to a teenager in a long time, and I hear/see plenty of the stuff that was criticised - I never noticed it before the game, but I see hella used not infrequently now and that got absolutely panned.  Anything else I just chalk up as a legitimate depiction of regional teen language that may not fit current trends, but is perfectly acceptable pattern of usage that can be explained in this way - the place isn't real, kids in this fictional town talk like that.

It's also the best example I've seen of a narrative being written in a way that allows the players emotional experience to shape their interpretation of the events to create a unique experience of the story. I've compared interpretation of the story with someone who had nearly identical choices/outcomes, but had different mindset/emotional state so their experience was completely different.  I'll spoiler tag details for those that have played.

Spoiler

From the moment I saw Chloe in the bathroom at the start I was crushing on her.  I identified with Max very deeply, and was immersed more than I've ever been with any other character - from that moment every choice I made in relation to Chloe was from that frame of mind.  When Kate calls in Ep 2 leaving the diner, I knew she was in a really bad place and was worried she'd wind up killing herself, but I also accepted I (as Max) had been a complete shit to Chloe by disappearing for those years, so I ignored the call.  When I then failed to save Kate it was really really awful, but a consequence I had already accepted in a way so it didn't pull me out of the story or make me feel manipulated because I had seen it coming.

When I had the choice to kiss Chloe I took it without a moments hesitation, and that whole scene in her bedroom on a sunny morning with music playing was probably my favourite moment in any game ever.  By that point I (as Max, not as myself) was in love with Chloe.  I didn't have a problem with the end of the game either, I felt like I saw things quite clearly - everything I had gone through in the previous week, everything I'd done was to save Chloe.  We had both grown and changed as a result and like hell was I going to throw that away and let her die on that bathroom floor, bitter and alone and feeling unloved.  I sacrificed Arkadia Bay without a second thought, and felt that that was accepting the consequences of actions.  Going back and letting Chloe die isn't accepting the consequences of *my* actions, just the world itself and it's one more attempt to change everything.  Letting the storm continue and not using my powers anymore? Living with the outcome of everything I'd done? That's accepting consequences.

2 hours ago, MerenthaClone said:

I am...not good at Overwatch. 

Don't have to be good, just have to enjoy it! Gamers need to lose the attitude that you should be a pro to deserve to play games, especially in something like Overwatch.

2 hours ago, karaddin said:

Don't have to be good, just have to enjoy it! Gamers need to lose the attitude that you should be a pro to deserve to play games, especially in something like Overwatch.

Trouble is, it's not the low skilled among us that have a problem, it's the people who think they are awesome and who get pissed off at low skill people who are just trying to have fun. You can only take so much shit talk from people before the fun of just playing is no longer enough. Even when it's only occasional you are always wondering if this match you're going to be playing with another a-hole.

46 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Trouble is, it's not the low skilled among us that have a problem, it's the people who think they are awesome and who get pissed off at low skill people who are just trying to have fun. You can only take so much shit talk from people before the fun of just playing is no longer enough. Even when it's only occasional you are always wondering if this match you're going to be playing with another a-hole.

Oh that's who my complaint was meant to be directed at, not at Merentha although I see that was unclear.  Completed agreed and its those jackasses that need to get over it.

3 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Hopefully most of those folk will move over to ranked play when it starts (since they think they're hot stuff) and the Quick Play will be more laid back.

I ended up getting Doom, The Talos Principle, Saints Row 4, This War of Mine & the Dishonored DLC in the Steam sale. Totaled about $60.

Started off with The Talos Principle, really loving it so far. I'm in World B now and some of the puzzles are starting to get pretty difficult. I'm glad I went into this game knowing nothing about it though. It's really fascinating. 

3 hours ago, Fez said:

Hopefully most of those folk will move over to ranked play when it starts (since they think they're hot stuff) and the Quick Play will be more laid back.

It would be nice, but if other games are anything to go by adding a ranked mode won't help. Non-ranked in LoL and Dota are every bit as toxic as ranked is in my experience. Thankfully I haven't run into too many ass hats in Overwatch so far.

3 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

I ended up getting Doom, The Talos Principle, Saints Row 4, This War of Mine & the Dishonored DLC in the Steam sale. Totaled about $60.

Started off with The Talos Principle, really loving it so far. I'm in World B now and some of the puzzles are starting to get pretty difficult. I'm glad I went into this game knowing nothing about it though. It's really fascinating. 

Really liked Talos Principle.  Now that you mention it, I should probably go back and finish it.  I was pretty close to the end when I started playing other stuff and never went back to it.

Saw an article today that Bungie is discontinuing support for Destiny on "Legacy" consoles.  (PS3 and Xbox 360)  Guess that's just more evidence that the old work horses are about ready to be put out to pasture at last.

In related news, my PS3 seems to have gone kaput on me this weekend.  Tried to start it up and I get a beep, followed by the light turning green and the sounds of the drive whirring to life followed by another beep and a return to the red light.  :(  I've googled it and tried to read up on it to little avail.  Some of the articles suggest booting it in "Safe Mode" which I can't seem to get it to do.  Other suggest cleaning it, but to do that you need to take the shell off and you can't do that with a disc in the tray.  My son was apparently watching Spiderman when it happened, so the disc for that is still in there limiting some of my options to attempt a self fix.

The kids still use it for Disney Infinity and I keep meaning to do a replay of Mass Effect at some point.  :crying: 

Just now, Ded As Ned said:

@Rhom I was able to remove my shell (slim model) with TWO discs in the drive when one of the kids shoved a second one in there on top the first.  Dunno if you have the same model or not though.

I've got the old fat model.  Its not the original release, it was the one that came packaged with MGSIV.  So not sure on the exact number.

The instructions that discuss removing the shell typically involve compressed air and cleaning it out.  I may give it a try at some point.  I did something similar to my PS2 when it was about the same age.  The laser was out of alignment and I did some fudging with it.  Eventually, I had to send it in to Sony and they did replace it.  Don't know if I'll have the same success with the PS3.  :dunno: 

1 minute ago, Rhom said:

I've got the old fat model.  Its not the original release, it was the one that came packaged with MGSIV.  So not sure on the exact number.

The instructions that discuss removing the shell typically involve compressed air and cleaning it out.  I may give it a try at some point.  I did something similar to my PS2 when it was about the same age.  The laser was out of alignment and I did some fudging with it.  Eventually, I had to send it in to Sony and they did replace it.  Don't know if I'll have the same success with the PS3.  :dunno: 

Honestly it doesn't sound like the optical drive to me... seems like it *should* still boot up to the splash screen/HDD even if the optical drive isn't working properly.  I had to replace the optical drive on mine after that incident, and then later the HDD... both were fairly inexpensive.  IIRC, getting the damned shell opened up (finding all the tiny screws) was the hardest part.  YMMV

2 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

Honestly it doesn't sound like the optical drive to me... seems like it *should* still boot up to the splash screen/HDD even if the optical drive isn't working properly.  I had to replace the optical drive on mine after that incident, and then later the HDD... both were fairly inexpensive.  IIRC, getting the damned shell opened up (finding all the tiny screws) was the hardest part.  YMMV

Oh I don't think this is the optical drive.  That was the problem on my PS2.  Sorry if I wasn't clear.

I'm assuming this is some sort of power supply issue.  Most of the discussion/YouTube videos I've seen on it date back to about 2009 though.

9 hours ago, Fez said:

I hope they retune the matchmaking when ranked come out, cos then the scriptkiddies and the lolbois can stick to ranked. Or perhaps ranked would help everyone, since with that, perhaps you could end up in actual close matches. Those are the best ones, even if you lose narrowly, cos at least you feel you make a difference. And, I've noticed, fewer asshats in those too.

14 hours ago, Fez said:

Maybe. I don't have any experience in Overwatch, and my only real extensive experience with team based online gaming is Smite. And while ranked is a scene where you probably get more shit for not playing very well, casual still has a lot of people who are A-holes to you if you have an off game, or you are simply not at the same skill level and end up feeding. Unless there is a super casual game mode where people really aren't worried about the winning you're going to get A-holes in casual even when ranked is going.

Fortunately in Smite there are super casual modes (like Arena) where it's just shits and giggles mostly, so it's a really safe place to play and just have fun. And there's a one v one mode, which means you don't have to put up with shit from a-holes on your team. And a 3v3 mode, which is easier to arrange with just friends on your team. I haven't played the main competitive mode in Smite for about 2 years now.

8 hours ago, Ded As Ned said:

Just got off the phone with Sony.  They don't repair that model anymore.  My only option through them is to shell out $149 and they will send me out a 12 gig model and I can then take out my hard drive and put it in that.  :tantrum: 

He did say that GameStop used to repair them, but not sure if they still do.  His only suggestion to me for getting the movie disc out is to send it to GameStop or Best Buy's Geek Squad.  :tantrum::tantrum: 

I have a NES that I could hook up today, blow on a cartridge, and it would work like new.  I have a Super NES that I don't even have to blow on.  I have a Genesis with a Sega CD that I could still use today.  I have a PS1, that I had to take apart and clean some Coke out of once because the clam shell wasn't staying closed.  I have a PS2 that had to be replaced for optics, but still works.  I have a GameCube and a Dreamcast that both still work and if I still had dial up internet, I could still use the Dreamcast online.  I have a PS3 that's heavier than a brick and just as functional.  I have a PS4 that likely will fare no better than the PS3.  :angry: 

I'm a pack rat at heart.  I know that I'm unlikely to pull out old PS3 games and play them, but I want to be able to!  I do however have a collection of nearly 50 Disney Infinity characters that are useless without the PS3 and my kids do still play that with some regularity.

Kinda par for the course with appliances these days. I just had to replace an electric jug that we only bought within the last decade. Back in the day, you got an electric jug for a wedding present and it was the only electric jug you ever bought. 

With computer equipment (and I include consoles and mobile phones in this) we have been conditioned to regularly upgrade the hardware, which means hardware manufacturers are motivated only to build products that will last roughly the generation interval for the device. Why engineer 10+ years of useable life into a product when it practically only has 5 years of useable life, and a 5 year lifespan is cheaper to produce.

21 hours ago, karaddin said:

Oh that's who my complaint was meant to be directed at, not at Merentha although I see that was unclear.  Completed agreed and its those jackasses that need to get over it.

Nah, I understood you fine, you're good.  Any decent tips on how to deal with a Bastion + Reinhardt on the payload?  Corner-peaking with Pharah or Junkrat doesn't do enough to really dislodge them, and sometimes its not always a flankable route or the sightlines aren't long enough for Widowmaker to do her thing (though usually one of those is possible).  Preferably something that doesn't require too much coordination, since, well...

Archived