Video Games: France not a WWI Nation

Werthead

Just finished The Talos Principle. Got all three endings since you can just reload a checkpoint right before the final choice and I'd gotten all of the sigils and stars necessary for them anyway. 

Really, really cool game. I'll admit I had to look up hints for quite a few of the later puzzles that I got stuck on. Saw that they're making a sequel. I'll be looking forward to it. 

3 hours ago, briantw said:

Yeah, he was better mostly because you actually get to speak with him on a regular basis, whereas the leader of the Wild Hunt was never someone you got to interact with.  He was just a shadowy figure out to fuck up your shit.

Yeah, Eredin could've been done better, but alas. It's alright, though - Avallac'h made up for it.

1 hour ago, KiDisaster said:

Just finished The Talos Principle. Got all three endings since you can just reload a checkpoint right before the final choice and I'd gotten all of the sigils and stars necessary for them anyway. 

Really, really cool game. I'll admit I had to look up hints for quite a few of the later puzzles that I got stuck on. Saw that they're making a sequel. I'll be looking forward to it. 

If you haven't played it yet, I highly recommend The Road to Gehenna DLC for it as well. Its set concurrently to the final level of the main game, and is connected to it in premise but is telling its own very different story. In some ways I actually think I appreciated its musings more than the main game's.

It is absurdly hard though, even though it doesn't introduce any new mechanics (to the environmental puzzles at least; some of the console screen interactions are very different). The first couple puzzles aren't too bad, to easy you back into things, but after that, I'd say that the average puzzle difficulty is the same as the star puzzles from the main game. And the star puzzles in the DLC are just mind-bendingly difficult. Fortunately, you don't need to beat all the puzzles to get 2 of the 3 endings, but you do need them all for the last one. I ended up just watching that one on youtube.

No matter the ending though, you do get, imo, arguably the most sweepingly epic song ever put into a video game. But I'm a sucker for orchestral-backed monkish choirs.

4 hours ago, briantw said:

I loved Hearts of Stone.  Olgierd von Everec was a fantastic character.  I liked Gaunter O'Dimm a lot too as the bad guy, and the way they place him in the background of scenes throughout the game is awesome (see link below).  I thought the ending was fitting.  The resolution to O'Dimm's riddle was hinted at throughout the story.

http://kotaku.com/the-witcher-3-riddle-that-players-couldn-t-quite-solve-1747185043

4 hours ago, Cz-99 said:

Hearts of Stone was fantastic, and had a better main antagonist than the base game. 

Yeah, maybe I'm missing the point on Von:

A clever fella with a dark background. Get to see his dark side in the quest at his residence through the paintings. That was a pretty cool quest. The caretaker was ominous. Felt bad for Iris. Nothing that I haven't seen in a vid game before. Mirror Man was an imposing character, but just such a short episode to get a better grasp on him. Threatening for sure, but for an antagonist, I never went up against him beside a battle of words, so hard to really fear him.

Just finished Blood and Wine.  Between that and Hearts of Stone I clocked in nearly 50 hours.  Not bad for thirty bucks worth of DLC.  That's longer than the majority of full-priced games I've played, after all.  Blood and Wine was great.  An easy recommendation.  There was one plot twist that was pretty blatantly obvious, but other than that it was a very enjoyable ride with some great scenery and characters.

Also, this marks a sad day.  Witcher 3 is about to be uninstalled after over a year in my Steam favorites.  :(

14 hours ago, briantw said:

Just finished Blood and Wine.  Between that and Hearts of Stone I clocked in nearly 50 hours.  Not bad for thirty bucks worth of DLC.  That's longer than the majority of full-priced games I've played, after all.  Blood and Wine was great.  An easy recommendation.  There was one plot twist that was pretty blatantly obvious, but other than that it was a very enjoyable ride with some great scenery and characters.

Also, this marks a sad day.  Witcher 3 is about to be uninstalled after over a year in my Steam favorites.  :(

I hope this day never comes for me. NEVER!

4 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

I hope this day never comes for me. NEVER!

Haha.  I put in almost 150 hours to the game and the DLC.  I just don't have it in me to do a NG+, at least not right now.  Phenomenal game.  One of the best I've ever played, and two of the best expansion packs I've experienced, both from a story and value perspective.  Witcher 3 is one of those rare games I wish I could just forget entirely so that I could re-experience it again for the first time.  

It's forever changed how I view open world RPGs.  I had trouble getting into Fallout 4 because of Witcher 3.  The mediocre story, lack of interesting characters, and terrible choreography in Bethesda games is especially noticeable after playing Witcher 3.  Also, the generic quest design leaves a lot to be desired.  Witcher 3 had a lot of samey quests, but at least the stories behind them were generally interesting and often sad.  

22 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Yeah, maybe I'm missing the point on Von:

Hide contents

A clever fella with a dark background. Get to see his dark side in the quest at his residence through the paintings. That was a pretty cool quest. The caretaker was ominous. Felt bad for Iris. Nothing that I haven't seen in a vid game before. Mirror Man was an imposing character, but just such a short episode to get a better grasp on him. Threatening for sure, but for an antagonist, I never went up against him beside a battle of words, so hard to really fear him.

O'Dimm is

the Devil.  And scary enough that I could completely believe Geralt taking his side instead of challenging him to a riddle game like you did.  

20 hours ago, briantw said:

Haha.  I put in almost 150 hours to the game and the DLC.  I just don't have it in me to do a NG+, at least not right now.  Phenomenal game.  One of the best I've ever played, and two of the best expansion packs I've experienced, both from a story and value perspective.  Witcher 3 is one of those rare games I wish I could just forget entirely so that I could re-experience it again for the first time.  

It's forever changed how I view open world RPGs.  I had trouble getting into Fallout 4 because of Witcher 3.  The mediocre story, lack of interesting characters, and terrible choreography in Bethesda games is especially noticeable after playing Witcher 3.  Also, the generic quest design leaves a lot to be desired.  Witcher 3 had a lot of samey quests, but at least the stories behind them were generally interesting and often sad.  

I think that is also my problem with Fallout 4.  I tried, I really tried, but I just stopped caring a bit.  I think it would be more fun on the PC to do the building and such of your settlements.  So maybe I will sell my Fallout 4 back and try that avenue sometime in the future.  I'm futzing through uncharted, but I'm really thinking of a different Witcher 3 play through and then trying the expansions out.

This steam sale has not been that great for me. Few titles enticed me, as it came at a point when I was a bit bored with gaming.

I ended getting Doom, a mindless shoot'em up, enjoyable but not worth a repeat play. I actually like the story in Doom 3 more than in this one. And I didn't even finish it because I got stuck at the cyberdemon level. I couldn't beat the fucker in round 2 with the little health and ammo I had left, and I don't care to try again.

I bought a culture pack DLC for Attila, just for whenever I get back to playing that. But I must say, Warhammer is running much smoother on my PC than Attila, so I am eagerly awaiting some faction DLCs for that.

I tried Fallout 4, but returned it. Didn't quite like the user interface, and as I said I wasn't in that big of a mood to play games, so I didn't wish to commit to playing this kind of game.

14 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

This steam sale has not been that great for me. Few titles enticed me, as it came at a point when I was a bit bored with gaming.

I ended getting Doom, a mindless shoot'em up, enjoyable but not worth a repeat play. I actually like the story in Doom 3 more than in this one. And I didn't even finish it because I got stuck at the cyberdemon level. I couldn't beat the fucker in round 2 with the little health and ammo I had left, and I don't care to try again.

The whole point of the new Doom was that it was a no frills shooter experience with no real story.  They made that abundantly clear in the demo level (the beginning of the game) when the computer log starts explaining what happens and Doom Guy punches it to shut it up. 

The ranked matches for Overwatch came out on PS4 this past weekend, and because a lot of my friends were trying it out, I was inclined to join in myself. Only had time to try two placement matches, but we ended up winning both. Junkrat's slowly becoming my go-to guy. But I really should give Pharah and Bastion a try. I hardly touched Pharah, and I've never touched Bastion before.

On 04/07/2016 at 3:05 PM, briantw said:

That's really because FO4 is not a very well designed game, if you ask me. The writing is mediocre across the board (taking a dip into the outright bad sometimes), the settlement builder is cool for 30 minutes before I get bored, the gameplay is good enough but nothing exciting, the core exploration mechanic is virtually unchanged since freaking Morrowind, it's just not very good. Decent enough if you play it as a Borderlands-esque shoot and loot, but that's not what Fallout is supposed to be. That's what FO4 is; a pretty decent FPS/exploration game, but a piss poor RPG.

Not that TW3 isn't good. It's great. But I can name several RPGs that I liked better off the top of my head. FO4 is a poor comparison because, well, it's not a good RPG. I did like Blood and Wine a lot, more than the base game, save for some of the plot points that would be very much spoiler territory. But it's undeniably great value.

What are the games on you folk's horizons? I'm currently waiting on Deus Ex:Mankind Divided, hoping it can take what made Human Revolution good and improve on it. Maybe in the meantime I'll finally buy Overwatch as one of my friend keeps bugging me to,

2 hours ago, Jasta11 said:

That's really because FO4 is not a very well designed game, if you ask me. The writing is mediocre across the board (taking a dip into the outright bad sometimes), the settlement builder is cool for 30 minutes before I get bored, the gameplay is good enough but nothing exciting, the core exploration mechanic is virtually unchanged since freaking Morrowind, it's just not very good. Decent enough if you play it as a Borderlands-esque shoot and loot, but that's not what Fallout is supposed to be. That's what FO4 is; a pretty decent FPS/exploration game, but a piss poor RPG.

Not that TW3 isn't good. It's great. But I can name several RPGs that I liked better off the top of my head. FO4 is a poor comparison because, well, it's not a good RPG. I did like Blood and Wine a lot, more than the base game, save for some of the plot points that would be very much spoiler territory. But it's undeniably great value.

What are the games on you folk's horizons? I'm currently waiting on Deus Ex:Mankind Divided, hoping it can take what made Human Revolution good and improve on it. Maybe in the meantime I'll finally buy Overwatch as one of my friend keeps bugging me to,

For me, TW3 is a great adventure game, with a serviceable hack'n'slash combat mechanic, and an awesome trading card game. I never really thought of it as a RPG. So, not having played FO4, if FO4 is supposed to be a RPG but isn't a very good one then, IMO, it's not a good comparison for TW3 because to me TW3 isn't a RPG. 

2 hours ago, DunderMifflin said:

So the creator of No Mans Sky tweeted yesterday 

"Things are happening!"

Then today he tweets the same thing in all caps

"THINGS ARE HAPPENING!"

I hope the game isn't this much of a tease

This is really not a game I have faith in, to be quite blunt. It seems just like Star Citizen, a heap of promises and a cool concept, but no deliveries. It's somewhat of a recurring problem with bigger indie games, I find.

@ The Anti-Targ: don't say that in some places, you'l be flayed alive :D. I do agree to a point, TW3 certainly bases a lot of its gameplay around its (IMO mediocre) action-based combat and has precious little customization, which is why I prefer the likes of Fallout New Vegas, Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate 2, Dragon Age: Origins, and Pillars of Eternity.

Started Banner Saga 2, so far seems to play much the same but with a few helpful improvements such as your clansmen looking for food for the caravan as well as your ability to turn them into fighters, which adds a bit more meaning and strategy to what for the most part was just a bunch of numbers at the top of the screen in the first game.

Destructible environments are a welcome addition and Bolverk(?) might be my new favourite character - though so far each fight seems to come down to a toss up between letting him get wounded or sending someone in to support him at the risk of said helper, hopefully his group will get another few archers as well as the axe thrower for such a purpose 

1 hour ago, briantw said:

Team Fortress 2 just staked its claim as the greatest multi-player game ever with this taunt addition:

I think Destiny actually already has that. Still funny though.

Archived