What is your opinion on House Arryn?

UFT

11 minutes ago, StarkofWinterfell said:

What? You only mentioned the Arryns plotting to put Starks back in Winterfell. I never mentioned those houses. 

Well, I wasn't talking about the Arryns in particular but rather about Andals in general, and reacting to your "filthy Andals" slur.

9 hours ago, Kaibaman said:

I've always seen the Vale as Switzerland. Nobody attacks them because they have geography on their side while at the same time, they stay out of most major conflicts that happening on the rest of the continent.

I agree that no one attacks them historically, but saying they are uninvolved doesn't take into account literally every single war except one, the current one. They were involved in the Blackfyre Rebellion (on the Targ side) and the Dance of Dragons (on Rhaenyra's side as Rhaenyra was in fact, 1/2 Arryn). They were central to Robert's Rebellion, and Jon Arryn may even be considered the overall commander originally of those armies. Finally, during Aegon's conquest, their fleet destroyed the Targaryen fleet before they were cowed by Visenya Targaryen's terrifying dragon. They also historically were literally built on war as they were the leaders of the first overwhelmingly successful step of the Andal invasion of Westeros and battled with Ironborn reavers and the Starks classically over the three sisters. I see no reason to think of them like Switzerland in anyway whatsoever. They made war just as much as the Starks, Baratheons, Greyjoys, Tyrells, Martells, Lannisters, and Tullys (Or Gardeners, Hoares, and Durrandons if you prefer). 

• 8 months later...

I think Sweetrobin is very important to the story, in the sense that he is helpless little birdie that needs to be taken care of.

I think Sansa will be the mother he lost, but she will not spoil him like Lysa did. House Stark will repay House Arryn for protecting and aiding Ned in his hour of need by raising a little birdie into a falcon.

Also, it might be strange, but like most predict, Tyrion will be a huge part of a new government post Long Night, probably holding the office of something similar to the Hand of the King: Chancellor, Prime Minister, Chief Administrator, etc.

And I believe, Tyrion will become a father figure to Sweetrobin and groom him to be the next person to replace him at the office. Jon Arryn was a very capable Hand of the King from all accounts, I think Tyrion and Sansa will nurture this little weakly boy into a falcon that will take to a flight and watch over Westeros (in political sense, of course).

So yeah, I like House Arryn a lot, for one because they are associated with House Stark. And like a mother wolf she is, Sansa will not let anyone to harm its only remaining member (Sweetrobin). Lannisters pay their debts, but Starks do too.

The  Arryns that we know of doesn't  impress.  Little Robert is smart but weak.  Jon Arryn started a rebellion that killed thousands and placed a king on the throne who messed up the economy.  Thousands of lives for Ned and Robert.  Why not work out a deal to send them to the wall.

They're central to the background of the books. They're a very loyal house to their allies (as we can see in the history of the universe in general) they're very good fighters in general (their knights are among the best in the realm) and they have a fucking mountain as their holdkeep. They're awesome, but in the books Lysa simply forgot that life exists outside the Reach.

• 1 month later...

I think Lysa get unfair criticism to be honest. Ok she's mentality disturbed but  at least she's got an excuse for it. She was first forced to commit abortion  and then she was married off to some old man like some cow. What excuse does the saintly Cat Tully has for causing the war (by kidnapping Tyrion) and ending it (by freeing Jamie)? Nothing. Why wasnt Edmure forced to marry like she did? Why wasn't she married of to a decent young man like Cat was able to do?

The Vale has a strong army but outside their borders they can be beaten. Lysa kept the Vale out of this 'King in the North' madness and was able to keep her son safe with a strong army at his side until her death. That something Cersei, Cat and all 'better' beings weren't able to do. 

On 3/21/2017 at 1:05 PM, Moiraine Sedai said:

The  Arryns that we know of doesn't  impress.  Little Robert is smart but weak.  Jon Arryn started a rebellion that killed thousands and placed a king on the throne who messed up the economy.  Thousands of lives for Ned and Robert.  Why not work out a deal to send them to the wall.

Little Robert is a lot of things, but smart isn't one of them. The only semi-smart thing he did was mistrusting Littlefinger, but even that was out of fear. SweetRobin was afraid of everyone not Lysa and Alayne.

I find it interested that you think Jon started the rebellion. So Jon was supposed to give up his wards to a mad king who just burned his nephew?

Aerys 2 wasn't called the Mad King for nothing. He wouldn't have agreed to send Ned and Bob to the wall....he would have burned them like he burned Rickard. Even if the Mad King would have agreed to send them to the wall, why would Jon condemn his two wards to a life of misery at the wall? House Arryn's words are As High As Honor......Jon comes off as an honorable man and calling his banners in response to sending his wards to certain death was the prudent thing to do.

On 3/21/2017 at 2:05 PM, Moiraine Sedai said:

Maybe because of guest right. You have heard of that right? Also your asking a man to execute or exile the two young men that he has raised like sons. Also Aerys the Mad King wanted them dead. I don't think he was going to compromise at this point. Not after he burned a LP alive and murdered his heir.

11 hours ago, devilish said:

I think Lysa get unfair criticism to be honest. Ok she's mentality disturbed but  at least she's got an excuse for it. She was first forced to commit abortion  and then she was married off to some old man like some cow. What excuse does the saintly Cat Tully has for causing the war (by kidnapping Tyrion) and ending it (by freeing Jamie)? Nothing. Why wasnt Edmure forced to marry like she did? Why wasn't she married of to a decent young man like Cat was able to do?

The Vale has a strong army but outside their borders they can be beaten. Lysa kept the Vale out of this 'King in the North' madness and was able to keep her son safe with a strong army at his side until her death. That something Cersei, Cat and all 'better' beings weren't able to do. 

I agree partially agree. Lysa did get a lot of shit heaped on her but she was still a messed up rapist before all the bad stuff happened. 

Also thank Baelish for keeping the Vale out of the war, fairly certain that was his plan. Granted Lysa wanted to keep them out to keep Sweetrobing safe but its all part of the Baelish plan.

On June 23, 2016 at 2:37 PM, UFT said:

they have a long tradition of chivalry and knighthood, and produced some of the greatest kingsguards.

I agree but atm the only Arryns left is a psychopath (Lysa, though she's dead), a sickly child whom i doubt will live for very long (Sweetrobin), a fuckboi (harrys) and the devil himself (Little Finger, though he doesn't count as an Arryn) so idk I've got mixed feelings about them.

On 2017-4-29 at 4:28 AM, Lord Wraith said:

Maybe because of guest right. You have heard of that right? Also your asking a man to execute or exile the two young men that he has raised like sons. Also Aerys the Mad King wanted them dead. I don't think he was going to compromise at this point. Not after he burned a LP alive and murdered his heir.

I agree partially agree. Lysa did get a lot of shit heaped on her but she was still a messed up rapist before all the bad stuff happened. 

Also thank Baelish for keeping the Vale out of the war, fairly certain that was his plan. Granted Lysa wanted to keep them out to keep Sweetrobing safe but its all part of the Baelish plan.

rapist? To whom?

On 6/23/2016 at 5:37 AM, UFT said:

i think they are underappreciated and badass overall.

they have a long tradition of chivalry and knighthood, and produced some of the greatest kingsguards. 

I love them because they alone of the Great Houses let a woman lead them (once).

37 minutes ago, Daena the Defiant said:

I love them because they alone of the Great Houses let a woman lead them (once).

I believe you are wrong on this. After Jason Lannister got killed in the Dance the Lannisters were led by Joanna Lannister and were also so after the Dance when the Lannisters came to terms with the Black Targaryens. Joanna orchestrated the counter-invasion of the Iron Islands and Joanna made peace with the Iron Throne. So the Lannisters were certainly led by a woman at one time in their history.

Archived