Football: For Now We Are All Champions!

MercenaryChef

7 hours ago, mormont said:

I've wondered why no-one's come in for him before now. He'd be a great signing.

Pretty questionable on the ball, imo, but I think he's probably good enough for EFC. 

13 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I saw Everton just confirmed the signing of Gueye from Villa (a destroyer MF like Kante, I believe), but I haven't seen anything yet to confirm Williams.

Flannagan agreed a season-long loan at Burnley.  He was left out of the US trip to consider the loan offer, which is a pretty clear signal from the manager.  But after missing nearly two full seasons with injury, and looking unconvincing since his return (apart from landing one heavy tackle on Sterling), a loan is probably a good idea for him to see if he can get to the requisite level.  Even at his best he was a solid defender without much attacking skill nor much recovery pace.

The good news is that Liverpool have started insisting that loan deals include a minimum % of games played, generally requiring their player will appear in 60-75% of available games.  That's been the hold-up in Brannagan's loan deal so far, but all the other loanee teams have agreed to it.  And Liverpool finally got smart about adding buy-back and sell-on clauses for the young players they sold.

It seems like a great move for Flannagan. Hopefully, he gets the full season of first team football under his belt and comes back to Liverpool in great shape.

I've seen Wisdom's name on the substitute list in one of the USA tour matches and was pleasantly surprised. He seemed to have potential, but those season-long loans at Norwich and WBA didn't seem to do the trick for him. He had a good run of games while on loan at Derby though but that was a while ago now. It will be interesting to see how he does this season. He's on contract with Liverpool for another 3 seasons. I doubt they would give him a new contract last season just to send him on loan every season.

18 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I saw Everton just confirmed the signing of Gueye from Villa (a destroyer MF like Kante, I believe), but I haven't seen anything yet to confirm Williams.

Indeed. The reports I saw was written in a way that indicated an agreement between the clubs. I, for one, would at least assume that was a sort of first step. Clearly I was wrong about that, so perhaps we'll get another CB that I'm more happy with.

Gueye, I haven't seen much of. If he's good, he's needed. Wonder who we'll partner him with in midfield, as we are loaded there.

Lamine Kone at Sunderland has been linked to Everton as well. He was immense in the second half of last season, one of the main reasons they survived relegation. It would be nice business for Sunderland, making £13m profit in six months from a player.

No surprise to see Draxler wants to leave. Wolfsburg is the kind of club that is only attractive when they are in the Champions League and challenging for the title. It seems the VW money is drying up somewhat, so their ambitions may be limited.

We've been linked with a lot of players (like every other club, so that's not something new or exciting). The reason I posted in the first place was because it seemed - in the reports - like this was almost a done deal, just waiting for the last details. 

I could list at least three other CBs we've been linked to, without checking any other sites, so I try to wait until something is more concrete ;)

Looking forward to Rooney's testimonial tonight. Will be my first glimpse of the side under Mourinho since the broadcasters over here once again failed to secure the rights to United's preseason. Hope Zlatan, Bailley and Mkhitaryan get a good run out as I'm interested in seeing how well they have integrated into the side. Also looking forward to see how Luke Shaw gets on. He could be big for us this season. His pace and overlapping runs down the left were sorely missed for most of last season.

Draxler and Arsenal, would be a great but could he play at center as well, since they already have Alexis Sanchez from the left wing? He doesn't seem to do as well from the right wing.

Arsenal are being linked to Mahrez, Draxler and Lacazette. What are the chances of them netting all of these? or even one.

Tbh I think we should get either Mahrez or Draxler, since they are similar players/occupy similar squad spots, and we already have backups for every midfield position. I'd prefer Mahrez since our right wing is our worst position player-wise in the midfield. Lacazette, since he's a striker, would be very welcome, and if Wenger is to be believed, we'll need one more CB cause two of the Chambers/Holding/Bielik trio will probably go on loan, and that would leave us with 3 CB's until Mertesacker gets better... unless we get another CB.

Draxler wanting out is not exactly news. That has been known/reported for months. Wolfsburg is a club with little history, relatively little support, and Wolfsburg is a small town attached to the Volkswagen factory. The only reason why players like Draxler, Kruse, Schürrle  and others signed for that club was to compete for silverware. The last season was an utter disaster, and now everybody tries to get the hell out of Dodge. Naldo signed for Schalke on a free transfer, Kruse just joined his childhood club Bremen, Schürrle left for Dortmund and Draxler will sign with with almost anybody who can pay his wages and the transfer fee. Wolfsburg on the other hand wants to keep him. So this is going to be very entertaining. Personally I have very little sympathy for Draxler on that matter. Wolfsburg was not the only club in the market for him (he turned down Juve), and he knew what he signed up for.

10 hours ago, baxus said:

I've seen Wisdom's name on the substitute list in one of the USA tour matches and was pleasantly surprised. He seemed to have potential, but those season-long loans at Norwich and WBA didn't seem to do the trick for him. He had a good run of games while on loan at Derby though but that was a while ago now. It will be interesting to see how he does this season. He's on contract with Liverpool for another 3 seasons. I doubt they would give him a new contract last season just to send him on loan every season.

Wisdom has been appearing at CB because Klopp limits playing time in preseason (because they do double sessions the day before a game and a full session in the morning before a game), and he needed someone to rotate the CBs.  But Wisdom looks well below standard so far and did very poorly on loan.  I don't know why we gave him that extended contract except perhaps CBs mature later than other positions and most of his playing time so far at Liverpool and on loan has been at FB, which isn't his position.

If he sticks around as a reserve CB now, I would dread injuries to the others.  Perhaps another loan will help him, but it needs to guarantee a lot more playing time instead of sitting on a bench.  Dropping a division or two to get playing time would help him.

12 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

Oh dear. Way to lose the golden generation.

The BT cameras captured Romelu Lukaku reacting with disbelieving laughter to something shortly after the announcement.

Now, we don't know that it was in reaction to this news... but I'm choosing to believe that it was.

The Rooney testimonial is a big lot of nothing but I am slightly heartened by the way our forward line set up, with Rooney, Zlatan and the wide men essentially operating as a rotating four. Makes me hope Mourinho has shed his over-defensive ways for the job, although how he'll react to a first real defeat will be the real test of this, much like LVG.

Memphis just had an overhead attempt so bad even Kai Rooney was mocking him.

3 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Looked in the replays like he was sort of "oh no" first, and then caught his father trying to keep the laughter back.. 

From the match, I liked the fact that we looked solid defensively again. Both with three and four (and five) at the back. We need to work on our attacking play, still. 

38 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

The BT cameras captured Romelu Lukaku reacting with disbelieving laughter to something shortly after the announcement.

Now, we don't know that it was in reaction to this news... but I'm choosing to believe that it was.

The Rooney testimonial is a big lot of nothing but I am slightly heartened by the way our forward line set up, with Rooney, Zlatan and the wide men essentially operating as a rotating four. Makes me hope Mourinho has shed his over-defensive ways for the job, although how he'll react to a first real defeat will be the real test of this, much like LVG.

At Real Madrid, Mourinho played open and attacking against everyone except Barcelona.

Archived