Video Games: No Man's Pie

Werthead

4 minutes ago, The Drunkard said:

Weirdly, the recommended graphics setting for Attila was normal, and yet in Warhammer it's high. I heard Attila was badly optimized but that seems silly.

Yes, Warhammer runs much better than Attila. But right now my interest in Warhammer is not that high. I beat the game once with the Empire, but I can't quite find the drive to do a campaign with any other faction. I'm back playing Attila, with the Garamatians. 

I just found out today that the Legion Companion App for WoW allows you to manage your missions/troops from the order hall.  This weekend, I wasn't able to log in and play for any length of time; but every four hours or so I would run downstairs, log in, and send off on a new mission.  Today I find out that I can just do it from my smart phone!  This is super convenient! 

Well, here's something crazy. WarCraft: Lord of the Clans, an adventure game Blizzard was working on in 1998 before they canned it, has leaked onto the net. It's about 95% complete, even with a lot of the voice acting in place. Apparently it's reasonably decent. It hasn't got the Blizzard polish and some of the interface is cumbersome, but it's fully playable. Apparently one of the reasons they decided to nuke the project is that the 3rd party coders they got in were shit, and redoing all the code would have blown their budget, bearing in mind this was Blizzard even before StarCraft came out and they had far less money to draw on.

It's also hilarious from a lore point of view: literally the previous WarCraft release before this was WarCraft II, so the lore, tone and characterisation is completely at odds with what was established in WarCraft III and World of WarCraft. A good example of this is the dragon Deathwing, whom Thrall comes across smoking a lot of drugs. And then kills him with a jetpack.

A bonkers look at something that never quite happened, and may have taken WarCraft in a very different direction to where it ended up.

I finally finished DX:MD. It was a lot better of an ending than I thought it would be given the talk about it. While it does end with a lot of things unresolved, and it doesn't quite have the gravitas that Panchaea did, it was otherwise really solid. 

The end mission was also absurdly fun with a lot of different, super-cool gameplay things and reasonably organic choices on how to do stuff. 

The boss fight was super anticlimactic, but I'm okay with that because the two parts prior to kicking his ass were OMG amazing gameplay, the best that DX has ever done.

Yeah, apparently Mankind Divided is the first in a trilogy (groan), which they didn't make too much of a fuss about beforehand. It does explain what the whole "Deus Ex Universe" branding stuff is all about though.

And I don't think it was too obnoxiously done. The game was longer than Human Revolution, the primary story was resolved with only a few minor subplots left hanging and apparently they're already 18-odd months into making the next one, so we should see it a lot sooner than in another five years.

The boss fight is handled much better than those in Human Revolution.

He was too tough for me so I snuck into the control room and hacked the two heavy robots. It was a hell of a fight to watch - I helped out by shooting down the drones and firing off a few sniper rounds into the geezer's head - and both robots survived!

Been replaying my favorite game, Final Fantasy 9, after finally downloading it off the PSN store, and I am honestly surprised by how easy it is now that I'm older. (For those of who may be wondering its my favorite because it was the first game I ever played and the PS1 was my first console so nostalgia.)

Anyway, I'm two discs through and can't wait to reach the end because my physical copy, I kid you not, had a glitch that caused me to be unable to fight the final boss only. He and my party members would show up in position on screen and the music would play but the menus wouldn't appear. Unbelievable right?   

1 minute ago, The Grey Wolf said:

Been replaying my favorite game, Final Fantasy 9, after finally downloading it off the PSN store, and I am honestly surprised by how easy it is now that I'm older. (For those of who may be wondering its my favorite because it was the first game I ever played and the PS1 was my first console so nostalgia.)

Anyway, I'm two discs through and can't wait to reach the end because my physical copy, I kid you not, had a glitch that caused me to be unable to fight the final boss only. He and my party members would show up in position on screen and the music would play but the menus wouldn't appear. Unbelievable right?   

Yeah, I felt the same way about it replaying it earlier this year.  I remembered it being a lot tougher when I was a kid, but as an adult I was able to pretty easily exploit the combat system.

I got FFIX off PSN ages ago, got a decent way into it then got distracted by other newer, shinier games and never got back to it. I quite liked it, but I have so much in the backlog and I just can't prioritise FFIX over other games for the time I can put into gaming.

I've also given up on MGSV. I was enjoying it for the most part, but I couldn't bring myself to really care about the story or the characters (not being a fan from days of yore), so looking towards facing many more hours of missions that feel largely samey to progress a story that doesn't really grab me doesn't seem worth my time.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

Yeah, apparently Mankind Divided is the first in a trilogy (groan), which they didn't make too much of a fuss about beforehand. It does explain what the whole "Deus Ex Universe" branding stuff is all about though.

And I don't think it was too obnoxiously done. The game was longer than Human Revolution, the primary story was resolved with only a few minor subplots left hanging and apparently they're already 18-odd months into making the next one, so we should see it a lot sooner than in another five years.

The boss fight is handled much better than those in Human Revolution.

Reveal hidden contents

He was too tough for me so I snuck into the control room and hacked the two heavy robots. It was a hell of a fight to watch - I helped out by shooting down the drones and firing off a few sniper rounds into the geezer's head - and both robots survived!

Ooh, a trilogy? Interesting. I thought the DX universe thing was that they had a bunch of random properties - DX go, the DX shitty game on the iPad, potentially others. 

On the boss fight I simply shot him a couple times with EMPs as he hurdled over a barrier to get me and then knocked his ass out with a punch. Handled him just like the exo suit cops. Was kind of comical. And that was okay, because the prior part of the mission was far harder and more combatively awesome anyway. 

Yeah, FFIX is not a hard game (although I wonder how Ozma is? I didn't bother getting to him when I replayed it earlier this year), but it has just so much damn charm and sense of fun. Its something the series hadn't had since VI and never really had again afterwards either.

12 hours ago, Fez said:

Yeah, FFIX is not a hard game (although I wonder how Ozma is? I didn't bother getting to him when I replayed it earlier this year), but it has just so much damn charm and sense of fun. Its something the series hadn't had since VI and never really had again afterwards either.

The bolded so much.

I haven't played any FF before IX but X and XII, despite how much I love them, just don't have that as much. XIII, which I'm neutral about, most definitely doesn't at all.

12 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

Holy shit, Chris Metzen is retiring.

Got a little misty eyed reading this, corny as that is. I'll miss the big oaf. Blizzcon announcements won't be the same without him. 

When he was good, he was good.

He hasn't been good since...WarCraft III? And I think even that's being generous.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Amongst all this talk about Final Fantasy, is anyone here excited at all about the pending release of FFXV???  I can't say that I am...

I'll get it and play through it... but my hopes aren't too high.  I don't think I've thoroughly enjoyed a FF title since 10... I guess 12 was ok, but just ok.  13 lost me before I even got to the open-world.  I used to be a big fanboy of the franchise, but nowadays I think it's well into it's demise.  

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Amongst all this talk about Final Fantasy, is anyone here excited at all about the pending release of FFXV???  I can't say that I am...

I'm excited since we haven't had a proper (meaning non-MMO) title since XIII and am giving it the benefit of the doubt. On the other hand if it isn't good that is going to be f****** depressing considering how long its taken to make the game.

2 hours ago, Cuellar said:

Thinking about going and grabbing Fallout New Vegas, I ended up skipping that.  Will the graphics be too oldschool? 

I don't think so, but you should probably just watch a video and judge for yourself. There are probably mods to make it prettier too. Great game. 

3 hours ago, Cuellar said:

No PC, no play for me.  Fuck Square. 

Thinking about going and grabbing Fallout New Vegas, I ended up skipping that.  Will the graphics be too oldschool?  Have a month until Civ 6 comes out...

The graphics aren't the best, especially animation wise, but mods can fix most of those problems, especially texture.

You really should get it. It's an excellent game, easily on par with the first two titles in the series. I do, however, say this as someone who doesn't like Bethesda games all that much.

Archived