Watch, Watched, Watching: The San Diego Sneak Preview Version

RedEyedGhost

Watched Intruders, Millie Bobby Brown's previous series before Stranger Things.  I was not enjoying it much the first couple of episodes, but they began to turn that around in maybe the 3rd or 4th episode.  The season is only 8 eps long though, and ended kind of abruptly.  Cancelled after season 1.  It's an okay series, but once they reveal the extent of the premise, the show really didn't have a lot of narrative legs to continue into future seasons.  Brown's acting was marred by the suckiness of the first few episodes.  I think once she got good material she was better.

Dariba Diaries, from India's Epic channel.  It's a hoot.

BUT, what matters!  Heads up!  Four Seasons in Havana, season one, is now streaming from Netflix.  YAY!  This should make up for the dog that is Medici: Masters of Florence.

Watched War Dogs. I thought it was a decent comedy/drama and better than the 59% RT rating. I think it might have to do with having been a defense contractor for the Army in the past, so watching Jonah Hill and Miles Teller scam the department of defense procurement procedures hit a personal note with me.

I continued the Iraq war comedy theme with Whiskey Tango Foxtrot with Tina Fey. Another decent comedy (thought I wouldn't call either movie hysterical). First time I ever heard Tina Fey use the F word.

Now that this half season of The Walking Dead is nearly over, I've been binging it.  I did watch episode 1 the night it aired, but waited on the rest.  It's sooooooo much better this way  Never again will I watch this show week-to-week.  The first 20 minutes of episode 6 have been freaking hilarious.  Murder would have been in my heart if I were watching week-to-week. :lol:  Now I just get to laugh at it.  

The Last Panthers (2016) Season 1.  Opening music: David Bowie.  A European television series, acquired by Sundance TV.  Glossy production values.  Multi-language IFrench, English and Serbian), multi-European cast.  Locations range from London and Marseille, to Hungary and Bulgaria, Serbia.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/last-panthers-tv-review-883432

It's very good. And very smart.

Watching via dvds from Netflix.

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

The Last Panthers (2016) Season 1.  Opening music: David Bowie.  A European television series, acquired by Sundance TV.  Glossy production values.  Multi-language IFrench, English and Serbian), multi-European cast.  Locations range from London and Marseille, to Hungary and Bulgaria, Serbia.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/last-panthers-tv-review-883432

It's very good. And very smart.

Watching via dvds from Netflix.

That series is excellent.

Binged Last Kingdom - I was left entertained yet disappointed as the show had a stronger start than finish. As with a lot of shows, the writing leaned more on characters' stubbornness (to the point of idiocy) to move the story and create conflict. There were a few great characters and a few really not great characters. May look for the spoileriffic thread for more discussion...

2 hours ago, Week said:

Binged Last Kingdom - I was left entertained yet disappointed as the show had a stronger start than finish. As with a lot of shows, the writing leaned more on characters' stubbornness (to the point of idiocy) to move the story and create conflict. There were a few great characters and a few really not great characters. May look for the spoileriffic thread for more discussion...

You're dead to all of us.

24 minutes ago, Week said:

Noooo :crying: ... I really wanted to like it. Will give the second season a shot when it comes out.

There, there... You get a second chance with Westworld.

If you don't like that too... Well, it was nice knowing you :D 

1 minute ago, Risto said:

There, there... You get a second chance with Westworld.

If you don't like that too... Well, it was nice knowing you :D 

I did! Very much so! I followed the discussion on here pretty closely which was very entertaining and (also VERY) consistently much farther ahead of the curve than I was.

I finished Okkupert (Occupied in English), the Norwegian thriller about Russia occupying Norway to control their gas and oil output.  It wasn't amazing, but considering much of the political climate there was something cathartic about it.  I recommend.

T

11 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

A few of the shows we're watching that don't get a lot of attention here in this forum are:

1- Falling Water ....

2- Shooter

3-Incorperated

.... plus, Vikings and Rectify.... we're waiting for the end of the season to binge Salem

The Last Panthers!  That's terrific!

By the way, has anyone here watched the Chinese family epic, Nirvana in Fire?  In some quarters it's got people raving and drooling at being the greatest thing ever.  Would love to hear more from people who could express themselves better than that. :)

Archived