U.S. Elections: The Narcissist and the Nineteenth Amendment

Ormond

4 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

OGE,

I do see where you are coming from so perhaps it is a question of emphasis.  If you want to start the thread I'm game.

And take away from my Trump bashing time? LOL.

Okay, I'll start a thread about it. Give me a little time. I think I might call it, "A left of center Hamiltonyish View of Federal Power." If you got a better suggestion, let me know.

4 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

And take away from my Trump bashing time? LOL.

Okay, I'll start a thread about it. Give me a little time. I think I might call it, "A left of center Hamiltonyish View of Federal Power." If you got a better suggestion, let me know.

How about "Hamilton v Jefferson: a game of Madison in the middle". I'm definitely on the Jeffersonian/Madison side of the spectrum.

20 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

How about "Hamilton v Jefferson: a game of Madison in the middle". I'm definitely on the Jeffersonian/Madison side of the spectrum.

I"m looking forward to this.  Because Jefferson was just WRONG (idealistic, but WRONG) on so many different levels.

But back to the elections.  I fear that there is too much time before the elections and that Trump's bad behavior gets normalized somehow again.  Seriously this may or may not keep me up at night.

15 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

I"m looking forward to this.  Because Jefferson was just WRONG (idealistic, but WRONG) on so many different levels.

But back to the elections.  I fear that there is too much time before the elections and that Trump's bad behavior gets normalized somehow again.  Seriously this may or may not keep me up at night.

I am sleeping better than I was three weeks ago, but there is definitely still room for concern.  Trump's polling has been horrible this week, but I feel like I'm already seeing the signs of stabilization at ~ Clinton +6.  I'm trying to stay confident with:

- A six point lead is actually pretty significant.  That is way more than Obama beat Romney by.  Even if it went down to Clinton +3 by election day, that is still probably plenty.

- Clinton has a real advantage in GOTV.  If the election is tied on election day, that's probably enough to put her over the top.

- Early voting has already started.  The most important states for early voting are NC (62% voted early in 2012, in person voting begins 10/20), CO (81% early, in person begins 11/1) and FL (56%, in person begins 10/28).  There's also absentee voting that has already begun (300k votes already in Florida).  This is a terrible time for Trump to be in complete disarray.  Sure, two weeks from now would be even better, but still, this timing is already really bad. 

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Hate to break it to you, but Jefferson's dream of a republic of well-informed, civic-minded "gentleman farmers" (that means slave-owner) is probably not going to happen.

5 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Hate to break it to you, but Jefferson's dream of a republic of well-informed, civic-minded "gentleman farmers" (that means slave-owner) is probably not going to happen.

DG,

Check out the thread.  You can believe in smaller government without endorsing slavery or plantation based agraculture. The two ideas are not intrisic to each other.

3 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

But there are a lot of people who would like it to happen all over again, going back to the real good old days, in which everybody knew their place (and women's place was in the kitchen and bedroom and keeping their mouths SHUT) and stayed there (and any white man no matter that he wasn't Jeff or James had supremacy over all people who were female and were Other).

Jefferson was an evil sob and Madison was his bitch.  And Monticello is a tacky ediface that was the most inconvenient place to work -- and everyone in Monticello worked all the time except for Ol Massa -- and he mortgaged all his slaves to build it, and they were sold once he was dead to pay off his massive debt.  He also was the founding father-philosopher of white supremacy.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

It does seem that there is some kind of hoax around the bombing of Serbia issue.

But I really did hear his voice on NPR saying the Serbs are "good guys."

However, it also seems as though I believed, and spread, non-factuals, and I HATE doing that!  I apologize.

Considering this will require Trump of some knowledge of an event 20 years  ago should of been the first hint that it may not of been real.

41 minutes ago, Zorral said:

But there are a lot of people who would like it to happen all over again, going back to the real good old days, in which everybody knew their place (and women's place was in the kitchen and bedroom and keeping their mouths SHUT) and stayed there (and any white man no matter that he wasn't Jeff or James had supremacy over all people who were female and were Other).

This is exactly where the drive for voter suppression is coming from. 

Couldn't agree more with the rest of your post. 

As the orange stalin continues to whip up his base to ever more frenzied frenzies, my anxiety escalates that there is going to be real violence, blood shed, on election day.  And the days after -- no matter who is declared the winner.  If Hillary wins they will go mad with the conviction that 'they' stole the election.  If orange stalin wins, it's massive stand your ground and open season on women and African Americans and anybody else declared a threat to "our way of life."

And then there were five --(unless there's been someone else who I haven't run across yet, so there's more than five)--

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/woman-says-trump-reached-under-her-skirt-and-groped-her-in-early-1990s/ar-AAiXxPB?li=BBnb7Kz

The above account is somewhat "better" politically because it's from a woman who claims she is NOT going to vote for Hillary Clinton (though she won't vote for Trump either.)

P.S. And as a psychology professor, the uncertainty of parts of her memory, with what being most vivid in it the red couch -- and then the reporter finding photos of the club Trump was known to frequent at the time having a room full of such red couches -- actually makes the memory more believable. That sure sounds like how a real memory works -- a lot of detail gets lost over time, but what's visually vivid or emotional is what lasts longer. 

10 minutes ago, Zorral said:

As the orange stalin continues to whip up his base to ever more frenzied frenzies, my anxiety escalates that there is going to be real violence, blood shed, on election day.  And the days after -- no matter who is declared the winner.  If Hillary wins they will go mad with the conviction that 'they' stole the election.  If orange stalin wins, it's massive stand your ground and open season on women and African Americans and anybody else declared a threat to "our way of life."

I said elsewhere that this is my biggest fear.

if Russia wanted to truly cause damage to the US election system and the US government, it would be pretty easy. What they could do, per a CIA analyst, is not hack the Diebold machines - there are way too many around. No, they'd hack the systems that collate the votes from those machines. These are likely not particularly well guarded and may simply be someone's laptops. And they don't have to have done it in real time either - they could have already done it, found the likely machines based on what states officials are likely to do this. Install some backdoors and just wait.

Then the tallies come in, and what they do is modify some very, very blatantly, for just a few minutes. Then switch them back to the normal counts. Leave an obvious trail that shows that things were hacked. 

When the results come in that are likely very positive for Clinton, the Trump side can look at the hacks, look at the obvious trails, and say 'see, it was rigged'. You now cast massive doubt over the actual results of the election without really changing anything. Both sides claim issues, you have no actual basis for full truth, and you get riots. 

4 hours ago, TrackerNeil said:

If you truly think Hillary Clinton is evil, I suggest you do not have an adult understanding of evil.

Right, okay...cheers. Keep on keeping on, man.

4 hours ago, BloodRider said:

Trump may not be a hawk per se, but two things.  

1) As soon as ISIS tweaks his nose we are going in full force, and it will be a massive cf.  Look at how he goes scorched earth when he takes personal affront.  He already tells us that he takes ISIS and jihadist attacks personally.  IMO, he would basically use the Military like he uses twitter, his lawyers and his cronies.  Throw them into the fray to vent his anger.  Were I military, I'd be fucking terrified of a Trump presidency.  It may even be before if we get into another alliance with Putin there. (see point 2)

2) He has basically ceded our European foreign policy to Putin, who is a massive hawk.  The election of Trump is almost guaranteed to lead to war in Eastern Europe, with the very nasty possibility of it spreading.  Why?  Because Trump has told NATO - I back Putin, and I will not honor our agreement.  Especially if he were to enter into an agreement in Syria first.

To those who say his advisors and congress will never let him do that.  To that I say, ha.  Congress burned that bridge.  They fucked with the approval of was act because it was a political hot potato, and now it is not theirs to say anymore.  As for advisors.  There are no advisors.  I am no fan of Republicans, esp latter day neo-cons, but on military and foreign policy they have a deep bench of people who know their shit.  All of them are telling Trump to fuck off.  All that he has left to fill his cabinet are yes men and cronies.  Christie and Giuliani are not going to tell him no.

With Clinton I see no such inevitabilities.  Yes, there are probabilities, in some cases far too high for my liking.  But with Trump it's like a pancreatic cancer diagnosis.  You start thinking about how long you have got, not if you can survive.

1) Yeah, agreed. As mentioned, I think there's a slightly higher chance he doesn't get involved in anything, and only because IMO Clinton's a cast iron certainty...but there's a big chance he goes as apeshit as the system will let a President go, mostly because his ego's involved. 

2) The Putin stuff I don't feel I have a real read on. Mostly because, though he clearly admires him, I don't see him thinking he's anybody's Robin, so that could go sideways quick. But that's just as troubling as him basing f.p. on what Putin wants, so...yeah. In case I wasn't clear, Clinton's far and away my choice here. But anyone who is as committed to superpower military aggression as she is doesn't just lol away from the 'evil' tag, for me, and I think it's a concept only people from certain paces get that comfortable with. And all the Dubya people loving her f.p. Outlook kinda cements it to me; surprised it doesn't bother more people who see his foreign policy as disastrous. 

Archived