U.S. Elections: 9,444 days

lokisnow

22 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

You see this all the time. All those splashy plays deep down field that make the highlight reels are great for getting a contract, but if you make yourself one-dimensional it's easier for the opponent to just pin their ears back and tee off on you every week. I mean, if you can't pound the rock how can you ever expect to close out the tough ones?

Yep he is a sizzle with no steak 

4 hours ago, Boris the Blade said:

Don't worry, Trump will open his mouth again. He's a fuck up and will fuck up again. 

I mean, he's telling people to commit voter fraud. That should be the headline but for some reason, barely anyone is talking about it.

7 hours ago, sperry said:

Boggles my mind that there isn't one solid political candidate on either side of the aisle. Yes, I'm aware that Trump is much worse than Clinton, and I will be voting for Clinton. But it's both painful and shocking that these were the two best candidates that either side could produce. A lunatic with anti-democratic policies, and an uncharismatic, unpopular candidate with a relatively major scandal. Again, one is much worse than the other, but neither is a good candidate in a vacuum.

Agreed.

Aside from her foreign policy...and to me that falls under 'but aside from that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the show?'...I have reasonable faith that Clinton will be a competent administrator/leader. But as a campaigner/candidate, she's pretty uninspiring. What she represents, ie strong female President...has some cache, but she herself is pretty meh. It's just that meh >>>>>>>>>>> Trump. 

I do think the strong tendency of many of her supporters to claim that all/most* criticism of her is the result of either GOP bullshit or mysogeny undermines her appeal, too...in the way some Sanders supporters would chalk any critique of him as being manipulated by the powers that be or swayed by propaganda did. 

*all/most in reality. Many will superficially admit that she has (usually unnamed or trivial) flaws, just never whichever one is under discussion at the given moment. I will say that her foreign policy concerns will usually get treated less as fantasy, but then rationalized as 'everybody does it' or hand waved like it's a minor issue. 

6 hours ago, Mexal said:

I mean, he's telling people to commit voter fraud. That should be the headline but for some reason, barely anyone is talking about it.

Are you referring to his comments about Colorado?  If so, the news is reporting the story and it's much ado about nothing:

"They'll give you a ballot, a new ballot. They'll void your old ballot, they will give you a new ballot. And you can go out and make sure it gets in," Trump said.

Registered voters in Colorado automatically receive a ballot in the mail, but can request a new ballot or vote in person if they have not yet mailed in a completed ballot.

"In some places they probably do that four or five times. We don't do that. But that's great," Trump said Sunday, appearing to hint at the possibility of voter fraud in Colorado, a rare prospect Trump has continued to hammer on the stump.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/30/politics/donald-trump-write-in-ballots/index.html

1 hour ago, Boris the Blade said:

True. Becaus the media is shit. 

Yes, but not for the reasons you believe:

Donald Trump's comments above don't sound that bad, false, but certainly not encouraging voter fraud.

CORRECTION: This story and headline have been corrected to accurately reflect Donald Trump's statement about mail-in balloting in Colorado.

uh oh.  What did CNN (and likely others) falsely report that Trump said?

“If you go to university center, they’ll give you a new ballot, they’ll void your old ballot, in some places they do that four or five times, so by tomorrow, almost everyone will have their new ballots in.”

But he actually said:

“If you go to university center, they’ll give you a new ballot, they’ll void your old ballot. They’ll give you a new ballot, and you can go out and make sure it get’s in. Now in some places, they do that four or five times, but we don’t do that. So by tomorrow, almost everyone will have their new ballots in.”

http://www.mediaite.com/online/cnn-screws-up-says-trump-encourages-voters-to-vote-multiple-times-except-he-didnt/

8 hours ago, Stannis is the man....nis said:

Trump's biggest problem right now is that early voting is already hurting him. In Nevada, local political junkies say he has lost any chance of winning the state due to GOTV

What Nevada has as a, ahem, trump card for GOTV is California.  Many of the GOTV folks come from there whether as part of the push from unions, local Democrat party offices that send volunteers or just vols looking to knock on doors.  I've seen this since 2008 when Obama really organized the Calif ground folks to come across the border.  It's a small army and it's a good thing it exists.

11 minutes ago, Tempra said:

Registered voters in Colorado automatically receive a ballot in the mail, but can request a new ballot or vote in person if they have not yet mailed in a completed ballot.

California has similar laws.  For example, in the primary, my sis wanted to vote on the Demo ticket, so she took her vote by mail unaffiliated ballot to her polling place on election day and handed it over to be able to request a Demo ballet.  What Trump said may have been in-elengant, but not necessarily wrong.  What his deplorables do with that remains to be seen.

So, just one poll, but Morning Consult (who have never had great numbers for Clinton) just put out a national one taken entirely over the weekend and they found ... Clinton +3. In their national poll last week, they found ... Clinton +3.

Also, none of the various trackers are completely post-Comey news yet, but none have shown any really dramatic shifts. That weird ABC/WaPo tracker moved a ton, but that was before the Comey news even came out. It actually stayed at Clinton +1, which based on how quickly it was moving downwards before that, means it most recent one-day sample (not sure if that's Saturday or Sunday) had to be quite a bit better than the previous two days.

It would seem that the same polarization that prevented Trump's numbers from ever collapsing is now also benefiting Clinton. Hopefully that dynamic stays through next Tuesday.

Well, my personal anxiety level has reached new heights here. I am horribly worried that the FBI thing will energize Trump voters and greatly depress Clinton voters, especially younger people who supported Sanders in the primaries. From what I have read about past elections, most early voters are people who would have voted on election day any way. I am not at all sure that there aren't enough "unlikely voters" out there who were planning to vote for Clinton a few days ago who now will just throw up their hands and say "a pox on both their houses" to give the election to Trump. I think the Clinton ground game will have to be utterly magnificent in places like Florida, North Carolina, Nevada, Colorado, and New Hampshire to overcome this, and I have no way to judge whether or not those who claim it is are just engaging in wishful thinking or not. And almost as importantly, I am also really frightened that even if Clinton herself wins, this will depress Democratic votes enough that the Republicans will keep the Senate, meaning she really won't be able to get anything meaningful done as President. 

11 hours ago, Inigima said:

I know we're most of the way done but I don't know if I can survive the last week and a half of this awful stupid election. Why isn't Trump saying something horrible lately, as is his wont? Does Conway have him locked up in a windowless room?

Well, he's debateably encouraging voter fraud at his rallies now.  http://www.abc-7.com/story/33517416/trump-stokes-skepticism-of-colorado-voting-system  So there's that.  Also, I imagine there's a bit of fatigue from the media, plus, he still is actively saying some truly awful shit.  Its just that its the truly awful shit we've gotten used to him saying so nobody is reporting on it or caring.  So, he gets to spout of what should be automatically disqualifying statements without anyone commenting just because he's been doing it for so long that nobody notices anymore. 

Trump kicked off his rally here on Sunday by encouraging his supporters to "make sure" their ballots are properly counted, saying that he is a "skeptical person" when it comes to the state's largely vote-by-mail process. He then encouraged his supporters to get a "new ballot" in person at a local polling location.

[...]

"They'll give you a ballot, a new ballot. They'll void your old ballot, they will give you a new ballot. And you can go out and make sure it gets in," Trump said.

It was unclear whether Trump was encouraging his supporters to get a new ballot even if they had already voted, which would constitute voter fraud. Trump campaign officials in Colorado did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Comey is getting alot of blowback, like this editorial the Washington Post.

Decades ago, the department decided that in the 60-day period before an election, the balance should be struck against even returning indictments involving individuals running for office, as well as against the disclosure of any investigative steps. The reasoning was that, however important it might be for Justice to do its job, and however important it might be for the public to know what Justice knows, because such allegations could not be adjudicated, such actions or disclosures risked undermining the political process. A memorandum reflecting this choice has been issued every four years by multiple attorneys general for a very long time, including in 2016.

1 minute ago, Nasty LongRider said:

Comey is getting alot of blowback, like this editorial the Washington Post.

And I am not at all sure this really helps Clinton, because whether the focus is on her or on Comey, the FBI letter story stays at the top of the news and so reinforces the bad feelings about Clinton those who would vote for her reluctantly have.

Just now, Ormond said:

And I am not at all sure this really helps Clinton, because whether the focus is on her or on Comey, the FBI letter story stays at the top of the news and so reinforces the bad feelings about Clinton those who would vote for her reluctantly have.

I get your point.  The reports I've seen on TV have been 'the FBI has found new emails and reopened the investigation' which is wrong and also saw a report yesterday of the ABC/**** (? sorry don't remember which one, exactly) poll which had Clinton and Trump tied.  The 'under new investigation' bit is wrong and that poll was only one poll and so far most polls haven't changed much.  Crap reporting all around.    

4 minutes ago, Ormond said:

We'll just have to wait and see. It could re-energize Clinton supporters, suppress them, energize Trump supporters or put pressure on Comey to release more facts of the investigation. Tough to really tell at this point. Either way, it's a pretty fucked up thing for a FBI director to do when he has zero information to share to the public other than they found more emails. The backlash he's getting confirms that.

I'm more interested right now on whether Reid's claim that Comey is sitting on Trump/Russian information. I want to know if this is true and what that information might be.

2 minutes ago, Nasty LongRider said:

I get your point.  The reports I've seen on TV have been 'the FBI has found new emails and reopened the investigation' which is wrong and also saw a report yesterday of the ABC/**** (? sorry don't remember which one, exactly) poll which had Clinton and Trump tied.  The 'under new investigation' bit is wrong and that poll was only one poll and so far most polls haven't changed much.  Crap reporting all around.    

ABC has even said that their polls now could be wrong. If Trump supporters are energized and more likely to get through the LV screening, they might affect the polls in way that doesn't represent reality. They also don't take into account (to my knowledge) any of the early voting.

14 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Yeah. I'm not sure the Reid letter was helpful. The right approach was to do what Clinton did at first, i.e. ask the FBI to make everything public to show that she wasn't worried, then leave it. Attacking Comey (however valid) is just manufacturing more headlines about emails.

Clinton is still on track to be at 310-330 electoral votes. More than that is being a bit optimistic.

At the peak of the FBI investigation thingie the last time around, Clinton dropped 2 points. If that happens this time (since more minds are made up now), she will still be a favorite to win this election. As for the senate race, the Dems are also still favorites to retake the Senate. Nothing I've seen so far seems to contradict that (facts, I mean).

Actually, October surprises dont have that much effect on the outcome. The odds are still in Clinton's favor.

9 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

You see this all the time. All those splashy plays deep down field that make the highlight reels are great for getting a contract, but if you make yourself one-dimensional it's easier for the opponent to just pin their ears back and tee off on you every week. I mean, if you can't pound the rock how can you ever expect to close out the tough ones?

You need to turn off Sports Center.  :D

13 hours ago, Mudguard said:

Reid is retiring and is not seeking reelection.  He can pretty much say whatever he wants at this point.  Reid's letter is so full of hyperbole that it's impossible for me to take it seriously.  Clearly, the Clinton team is getting their surrogates to blast Comey in an effort to discredit him and divert attention away from themselves.  Reid claims that Comey's letter presented the new information regarding Abedin's emails in the worst possible light.  Seriously?  Comey's letter was extremely brief and explicitly said that he didn't know whether the new emails were relevant or not at this time.  For the worst possible light, just read what Trump's been saying.  Comey's letter could have easily been much worse if he was really interested in taking down Clinton.  Based on what Comey wrote in his letter to Congress, I find it extremely unlikely that Comey will be found in violation of the Hatch Act.  

I also like how Reid letter accuses the FBI of not releasing information it has on the connections between Trump, his advisers, and Russia.  So releasing this information, if they actually have it, would be OK and not a violation of the Hatch Act?  But updating Congress on his prior testimony due to newly presented evidence would be a violation?  Right.

This x1000, good post Mudguard

If Reid was the only one questioning Comey and possible Hatch Act violations, yeah mabee.  But at least 2 DOJ complaints have been filed and Comey is being excoriated for this from many others, not just Reid.

4 minutes ago, Nasty LongRider said:

If Reid was the only one questioning Comey and possible Hatch Act violations, yeah mabee.  But at least 2 DOJ complaints have been filed and Comey is being excoriated for this from many others, not just Reid.

something something politically motivated. Am I doing it right? 

Archived