NFL Week 17: Playoffs for Some, Miniature Improvement in Draft Picks for Others!

Maithanet

Green Bay outscored the Giants 24-7 after that failure to convert on the 4th and inches play.

I loved McCarthy's postgame explanation where he went into some abstract terms like rythym and momentum and so forth. This is a coach that knows his players, knows the flow and battle of inches, the motivation the team needs. I think he put that call on his team as a challenge. They got their nose bruised......got burned for the short field TD......And then preceded to score 24 unanswered pts. McCarthy the motivator!!

I think these guys take down Dallas next week.

10 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Green Bay outscored the Giants 24-7 after that failure to convert on the 4th and inches play.

I loved McCarthy's postgame explanation where he went into some abstract terms like rythym and momentum and so forth. This is a coach that knows his players, knows the flow and battle of inches, the motivation the team needs. I think he put that call on his team as a challenge. They got their nose bruised......got burned for the short field TD......And then preceded to score 24 unanswered pts. McCarthy the motivator!!

I think these guys take down Dallas next week.

I'm as happy as any other Packers fan that GB won; but honestly, this seems a little silly to me. It was a bad decision, and a proper risk-benefit analysis wouldn't pan out that way. He put it on as a challenge? Well, they failed the change; and not only did they fail the challenge. I fail to see how that would be motivation at all. It would be motivating if they converted - maybe - but the fact is that the momentum had already started to swing towards GB after their TD, and this call carried a huge risk of killing that in its infancy (not to mention that GB has been statistically under performing at 3rd and shorts throughout the season). 

I mean, they ended up winning, but I would put that momentum swing on completing the hail mary, not some nebulous idea that Mike McCarthy played some crazy psychological motivation game by calling a failed play. 

I will agree to disagree. Challenging a team is a great psychological tool under the right circumstances.

Maybe McCarthy wanted to see his players more aggressive. There may be some merit to that strategy as well according to some- http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/17/a-new-study-on-fourth-downs-go-for-it/?_r=0

Recently GRRM was asked which ASOIAF character he'd want for his Jets (http://grrm.livejournal.com/514373.html) so out of boredom I thought of an ASOIAF all star football team. 

Coaching Staff 

Headcoach - Tywin Lannister (Keeps everyone in line) 

Offensive Coordinator - Stannis Baratheon (Most experienced battle commander) 

Defensive Coordinator - Tyrion Lannister (Blackwater preparation) 

Offense

Quarterback - Robb Stark (Leader, skilled tactician, and better than Jon Snow at using a lance so I guess he can throw) 

Runningback - Greyworm (Workhorse and peak physical attributes from unsullied training) 

Left Tackle - Gregor Clegane 

Left Guard - Wyman Manderly 

Center - Strong Belwas 

Right Guard - Hodor 

Right Tackle - Great Jon Umber 

Tight End - Khal Drogo (strong, tall, and athletic) 

Wide Receiver 1 - Moqorro (tall) 

Wide Receiver 2 - Khrazz (supposed to be a physical freak) 

Wide Receiver 3 - Daario Naharris (crafty enough to get away with penalties) 

Defense  (3-4)

Nose Tackle - Illyrio Mopatis 

Right Defensive End - Young Robert Baratheon 

Left Defensive End - Tormund 

Right Outside Linebacker - Sandor Clegane (matched up against his brother) 

Left Outside Linebacker - Victarian 

Right Inside Linebacker - Arthur Dayne 

Left Inside Linebacker - Areo Hotah 

Right Cornerback - Salador Saan (trash talker) 

Left Cornerback - Xhondo Dhoru (I have never seen a white NFL corner) 

Free Safety - Oberyn Martell (educated athlete) 

Strong Safety - Gendry (Hard hitting Baratheon genetics but malnourished enough to play DB) 

Special Teams

Kicker/punter - Syrio Forell (does flips and stuff) 

The rest - The Nights Watch

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 2:08 PM, Tywin et al. said:

I thought it was pretty clear that it was a joke, given how bad the pun was. 

I am very sarcastic myself, so sometimes I am tone deaf when someone else uses it!

As a Cowboys fan I couldn't decide who to root for and settled on Green Bay because I feared NY defense more than GB offense. I think Dallas has to have momentum on offense to win a game and NY just owned Dallas this season.

If the Dallas offense can put together sustained drives they will win this weekend, if they can't they will struggle and likely lose.

The sad thing about this past weekend is that the Green Bay blowout was still the best game of the weekend. The Oak - Texans game was just unwatchable, felt bad for Cook, tossed to the wolves. Imagine your first NFL start as QB and it's in the playoffs against the #1 def.  Det - Seattle was an ass kicking, same as Pitt - Miami. At least there was some doubt in the GB game.

5 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I will agree to disagree. Challenging a team is a great psychological tool under the right circumstances.

Maybe McCarthy wanted to see his players more aggressive. There may be some merit to that strategy as well according to some- http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/17/a-new-study-on-fourth-downs-go-for-it/?_r=0

Sometimes, things happen. Sometimes, these things happen very close to each other in our perception of linear time. That doesn't neccesarily mean one thing caused the other.

9 hours ago, Joe Pesci said:

No talk on here of Leon Hall leading with the crown of his helmet on Jordy Nelson? That illegal hit could have serious playoff implications if Nelson can't go next week against the Cowboys. Must be how he was taught to tackle in Cincy...;)

Cincy's shit never stinks!! Clean hit

53 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Cincy's shit never stinks!! Clean hit

Yawn. Do you really want me to start bringing in Mike Mitchell shitty hits? You know, the one that concussed Eifert before the playoffs or the one that concussed AJ Green before the playoffs? How about the time he twisted West's ankle well after the play or the time he speared Marvin Jones then celebrated while he laid on the ground hurt? You want to talk about the time Mike Mitchell helmet to helmet Jacoby Jones, knocked him out then cried he can't hit anymore? Or the time Mitchell dived into the side of Carlos Hyde's planted knee?

Leon Hall isn't the Bengals. Acting like this is an indictment of us is fucking stupid. 

1 hour ago, sperry said:

Lol Joey Porter, former Steeler player and current linebacker coach, arrested for assaulting a doorman at a bar hours after the game.

The guy has a litany of run ins with the law, more so then I realized. It's like every two years he gets arrested or booked for something. Supposedly he's a good coach, but with the kinda record he has out of football he doesn't deserve to be on the sidelines. 

52 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Yawn. Do you really want me to start bringing in Mike Mitchell shitty hits? You know, the one that concussed Eifert before the playoffs or the one that concussed AJ Green before the playoffs? How about the time he twisted West's ankle well after the play or the time he speared Marvin Jones then celebrated while he laid on the ground hurt? You want to talk about the time Mike Mitchell helmet to helmet Jacoby Jones, knocked him out then cried he can't hit anymore? Or the time Mitchell dived into the side of Carlos Hyde's planted knee?

Leon Hall isn't the Bengals. Acting like this is an indictment of us is fucking stupid. 

I don't think you're going to find any of the Steelers fans on here defending Mike Mitchell or how he plays the game, he's our Vontaze Burfict and they're both dirty players. No need for us to go down that trodden path. Yes, a lot of Mitchell's hits are dirty, we know all too well unfortunately.

But when you make a statement like 'it must be how the steelers coaches teach their players' in regards to leading with the crown of their helmet, then surely when Leon Hall, who played his entire career for the Bengals except for this season, does it, wouldn't that be the same thing? He must've learned it in Cincy, because that's where he learned to tackle at the NFL level, no? Outside of Mitchell, who didn't start his career with the Steelers and had a rep when he got here, you listed Shazier and Dupree. Yeah, they lead with their helmets on those two plays. So two instances in over a year of football means that it must be an organization wide accepted and taught way of tackling? If that was the case, would there not be a lot more Steelers defenders doing this and being penalized and fined? I'm sure if I want to waste hours of my time I could find two instances of Bengals defenders, or defenders on any other team in the league for that matter, leading with their helmets at some point in the last year. To say the Steelers teach that way is pretty ridiculous.

4 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

I don't think you're going to find any of the Steelers fans on here defending Mike Mitchell or how he plays the game, he's our Vontaze Burfict and they're both dirty players. No need for us to go down that trodden path. Yes, a lot of Mitchell's hits are dirty, we know all too well unfortunately.

But when you make a statement like 'it must be how the steelers coaches teach their players' in regards to leading with the crown of their helmet, then surely when Leon Hall, who played his entire career for the Bengals except for this season, does it, wouldn't that be the same thing? He must've learned it in Cincy, because that's where he learned to tackle at the NFL level, no? Outside of Mitchell, who didn't start his career with the Steelers and had a rep when he got here, you listed Shazier and Dupree. Yeah, they lead with their helmets on those two plays. So two instances in over a year of football means that it must be an organization wide accepted and taught way of tackling? If that was the case, would there not be a lot more Steelers defenders doing this and being penalized and fined? I'm sure if I want to waste hours of my time I could find two instances of Bengals defenders, or defenders on any other team in the league for that matter, leading with their helmets at some point in the last year. To say the Steelers teach that way is pretty ridiculous.

Fair. Chastisement accepted.

35 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Why is the Patriots-Texans game in primetime?  Isn't that supposed to be reserved for the most interesting matchup? 

It's puzzling to say the least when the other game that day is Falcons-Seahawks. And considering the weather in New England this time of year, wouldn't it make sense to have the game earlier before the temperature drops significantly? It's not like the other game is being played in a climate controlled dome or anything...

9 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Fair. Chastisement accepted.

Is it pretty much a lock that you guys are going to have to suffer one more year of Lewis? He seems like Cowher did his last year here, almost uninterested. And Cowher was coming off of a SB win that year which it made it even more curious to me. Continuity at the HC position can be a good thing, but at some point I think it gets to be too much and a complacency sets in, unless you're Darth Hoodie that is.

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

Why is the Patriots-Texans game in primetime?  Isn't that supposed to be reserved for the most interesting matchup? 

People need to be drunk to enjoy watching Brock Osweiler play QB. 

Archived