NFL Week 17: Playoffs for Some, Miniature Improvement in Draft Picks for Others!

Maithanet

16 hours ago, Altherion said:

Would they really allow him to play with that? I understand that they can give him painkillers, but the pain is there for a reason: the ribs protect valuable internal organs and being hit again in the same spot could lead to a serious (possibly even fatal) injury. I guess he could wear a kind of body armor, but even if that were allowed, he would not be able to run as fast with it on.

Tony Romo has played through a broken rib and punctured lung. I wouldn't count on Jordy playing because Romo is a particularly tough/stubborn SOB though.  

13 hours ago, sperry said:

They can also play him and not throw to him over the middle where he's going to get killed. Obviously not as effective, but you can still run him on deep routes and sideline routes.

Yep, but keep in mind, his injury occurred on a sideline route, literally landed out of bounds after the hit.

1 minute ago, dbunting said:

Yep, but keep in mind, his injury occurred on a sideline route, literally landed out of bounds after the hit.

I doubt defenders are ever not trying to hit him, or any other receiver, in the ribs as hard as they can given the opportunity though. Any time you get tackled with injured ribs is going to hurt but your ribs aren't really fully exposed that often.

2 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I doubt defenders are ever not trying to hit him, or any other receiver, in the ribs as hard as they can given the opportunity though. Any time you get tackled with injured ribs is going to hurt but your ribs aren't really fully exposed that often.

Well they do go from the front of your body around the side and connect to your spine in the back, so any hit he takes will cause excruciating pain.

52 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Well they do go from the front of your body around the side and connect to your spine in the back, so any hit he takes will cause excruciating pain.

And generally speaking your arms are at least partially between you, the tackler and your ribs. Don't get me wrong, it'll hurt, a lot, but there's a hell of a difference between a standard tackle into your upper body, which I've got no doubt would happen a lot, and getting tackled with your arms above your head and your rib cage totally exposed.

I feel like I'm coming across as saying it'll be easy, it definitely won't be. Injured ribs are very, very painful and I'm always impressed with how tough people who play with injured ribs are. (I've never broken a rib but I've done the rib cartilage which I'm told is about the same by people who've done both, it really wasn't fun). Having said that playing, even full contact sports, with broken ribs is certainly doable if perhaps not entirely advisable.

Bill Simmons posed a phenomenal idea on his pod:  let the higher seed in each conference pick the team they want to play in round two after the round one results. Have a press conference and drum the whole thing up and make it ridiculous.  Would be incredible television, and make the playoffs fun.

49 minutes ago, sperry said:

Bill Simmons posed a phenomenal idea on his pod:  let the higher seed in each conference pick the team they want to play in round two after the round one results. Have a press conference and drum the whole thing up and make it ridiculous.  Would be incredible television, and make the playoffs fun.

I have vague memories of discussing that proposal, in this thread, some time in the last year or so. I do think it's a fun idea, especially in those years when a "woke up in the last few weeks of the season" team gets the sixth seed and is scarier than some mediocre division winner. 

This year I'm pretty sure the Pats would still have picked the Texans. Who would the Cowboys pick? Green Bay or Seattle is a tough one. I think they'd probably rather take on a Thomas-less Seahawks.

Could the first seed choose the second seed if they thought that was their best chance? Like say Matt Ryan broke his arm during the bye week, could the Cowboys pick the Falcons? Take away a home playoff game from a strong division winner? You'd probably just have to restrict the choice to the two teams coming out of the wild card round.

So, predictions for the Divisional Round, anyone? I've got:

Green Bay @ Dallas I think this one is about as close to a coin flip as you can get, so I guess I'll just go with the home team here. I think the Pack will have problems stopping Elliot, and that should be the difference here. Let's say Cowboys 33-27

Seachickens @ Dirtybirds Going to go with defense here. It seems like the Seachickens are finally getting their run game in order. That said, I think this is another coin flip. I wouldn't be shocked if the Falcons won here either. That offense might just be the most explosive in the league. Let's say Seachickens 24-20.

Texans @ Pats Not even going to bother with an assessment. Pats 33-13

Stillers @ Chefs Going with defense and home field here. Chefs 23-20 

1 hour ago, Bronn Stone said:

The meme that nailed it today suggested the Texans are so bad the Patriots aren't even going to bother to cheat.

Hey, Bill Belichick's about process, not results. You think he's gonna slack off just because he's going up against giraffe with a barely functional throwing arm?

The Niners leadership quest is actually garnering positive feedback and seeming 'professional' and 'patient' and all kinds of words nit normally associated with Jed York, et al. And, too, the dominoes seem to be falling our way re: our choice of the three offensive wonderkinds and, though denied our top choice, the shelves seem to be pretty full of potential GM talent.

So of course I'm really nervous that they are about to make a spectacular error, like Cable and Gamble (the latter of who I actually think might make a decent GM, just not in this situation) or w/e. How would you guys rank the young Turk coaches, ie Shannahan, McDaniels and McVay?

1 hour ago, James Arryn said:

How would you guys rank the young Turk coaches, ie Shannahan, McDaniels and McVay?

In the order you have 'em. Shanahan has had the most success with bad to okay QBs. But really don't think you can go wrong with either Shanahan or McDaniels. I think McDaniels is the only Belichick coordinator who has demonstrated unique brilliance. Can't think of two hotshot coordinators being on the head coaching market with this much buzz. There's enough of a track record on both to confirm they're really fucking great offensive minds.

McVay seems ahead of the curve too but he's so young how the hell do you know for sure he's cut out to be a headcoach right now? McDaniels surely wasn't when he got the Broncos gig at 33. 

8 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

I have vague memories of discussing that proposal, in this thread, some time in the last year or so. I do think it's a fun idea, especially in those years when a "woke up in the last few weeks of the season" team gets the sixth seed and is scarier than some mediocre division winner. 

Yeah I brought it up a few years ago after seeing it in a Simmons mailbag IIRC.  I see no downside to it. It's fun, it enhances the reward for being the #1 seed, it creates rivalries and generates all kinds of storylines. I mean if you're Dallas you pretty much would have to take Seattle...except could you imagine how much this would infuriate the Seahawks? The atmosphere would be off the charts. I would pay money to watch it. 

I also love it because coaches would hate it. If you choose the team that beats you, that's every coach's nightmare.. and high comedy. 

10 hours ago, sperry said:
50 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

In the order you have 'em. Shanahan has had the most success with bad to okay QBs. But really don't think you can go wrong with either Shanahan or McDaniels. I think McDaniels is the only Belichick coordinator who has demonstrated unique brilliance. Can't think of two hotshot coordinators being on the head coaching market with this much buzz. There's enough of a track record on both to confirm they're really fucking great offensive minds.

McVay seems ahead of the curve too but he's so young how the hell do you know for sure he's cut out to be a headcoach right now? McDaniels surely wasn't when he got the Broncos gig at 33. 

Yeah I brought it up a few years ago after seeing it in a Simmons mailbag IIRC.  I see no downside to it. It's fun, it enhances the reward for being the #1 seed, it creates rivalries and generates all kinds of storylines. I mean if you're Dallas you pretty much would have to take Seattle...except could you imagine how much this would infuriate the Seahawks? The atmosphere would be off the charts. I would pay money to watch it. 

I also love it because coaches would hate it. If you choose the team that beats you, that's every coach's nightmare.. and high comedy. 

Fucking quote function...

I am sad we'll never see the "pick your poison/patsy" playoff format with Rex Ryan as a head coach. Not that he'd have ever gotten a number one seed anyway...

Would Belichick just write the selection on a napkin and turn it in? Did I or anyone else make these jokes last time? Time is a flat circle.

19 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I am sad we'll never see the "pick your poison/patsy" playoff format with Rex Ryan as a head coach. Not that he'd have ever gotten a number one seed anyway...

Would Belichick just write the selection on a napkin and turn it in? Did I or anyone else make these jokes last time? Time is a flat circle.

WORD.

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-JLMydkKhQ60/U7Hi2laXE7I/AAAAAAAARc8/vd5qGfM6BHg/s1600/time-is-a-flat-circle.png

1 hour ago, Jaime L said:

I think most coaches would cop out and say, "We'll take the lower seed" unless half the defense is out with Staph, or the star QB tears his acl.

11 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

So, predictions for the Divisional Round, anyone? I've got:

Green Bay @ Dallas I think this one is about as close to a coin flip as you can get, so I guess I'll just go with the home team here. I think the Pack will have problems stopping Elliot, and that should be the difference here. Let's say Cowboys 33-27

Seachickens @ Dirtybirds Going to go with defense here. It seems like the Seachickens are finally getting their run game in order. That said, I think this is another coin flip. I wouldn't be shocked if the Falcons won here either. That offense might just be the most explosive in the league. Let's say Seachickens 24-20.

Texans @ Pats Not even going to bother with an assessment. Pats 33-13

Stillers @ Chefs Going with defense and home field here. Chefs 23-20 

GB over Dallas

Seattle over Atlanta

New England over Texans

KC over Pittsburgh

3 of these contests (the non N.E./Texans games) might be really interesting games that are pretty close. I could see all 3 going either way and not be shocked.

Archived