U.S. Politics: Moscow on the Potomac

5 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

/The hits just keep on comin'

His first trip overseas is in three days, good to hear his preparations are coming along nicely.    :lol:

3 minutes ago, HoodedCrow said:

I was told that Comeys notes have a similar status to police notes and are quite persuasive legally.

Thankfully Trump has tapes of the conversation which will prove without a doubt that Comey was actually just chatting with John Miller.  Notes will then be legally useless.

I can understand the Republican reluctance to get on board with impeachment train, they control the government (reportedly), and those tax cuts aren't going to appear on their own...but are they that worried about the actual political fallout that they're willing to keep their wagon hitched to 45, knowing that Pence would be in the Oval Office instead?  

I want to believe the Democrats are actually looking seriously at 2018 and 2020 and not just expecting things to fall into place.  I want to believe it...

1 minute ago, HoodedCrow said:

I was told that Comeys notes have a similar status to police notes and are quite persuasive legally.

This is what one of them looked like, from 2004 when he had talks with Bush.

It's almost llike Comey knows something about the law.

THE WHITE HOUSE HAS ANNOUNCED CHET AMERICANMAN AS THE NEW DIRECTOR OF THE FBI

http://kiwi-lead.com/the-white-house-has-announced-chet-americanman-as-the-new-director-of-the-fbi/

3:53 PM - 16 May 2017

I just wanted to add my two bits about contemporaneous notes - they have great value, especially in today's age where recording them electronically comes with date and time evidence. The law has always respected notes made when matters are fresh in your mind, before a layer of time can colour your recollections.

Making notes is really important for a lot of professionals, not just law. Engineers. Financial advisors. Doctors. Accountants. etc etc etc

2 hours ago, Mudguard said:

At what point does Trump become so toxic that Republicans would be willing to impeach and push out Trump?

FiveThirtyEight has an article about past scandals and concludes that party loyalty almost always prevails. Of course, Trump is unique in at least two ways. On the one hand, he is not a longstanding and distinguished member of his party (as practically all past Presidents were) as an opportunist who successfully engineered a hostile takeover. On the other hand, there is a difficult to determine number of well-armed people who believe that Trump's removal would constitute a coup by the "deep state" and thus an invitation for all patriots to exercise their Second Amendment rights.

I don't think the Republicans are too eager try their luck with this. In a way, the constant stream of scandals from the media is actually helpful in the same way as low doses of some poisons help build up a tolerance that allows one to survive an ordinarily fatal dose. Even if a larger scandal comes up, it will be more difficult to convince the public that it is really serious simply because there's been at least half a dozen of "really serious" scandals already.

12 minutes ago, Altherion said:

I don't think the Republicans are too eager try their luck with this. In a way, the constant stream of scandals from the media is actually helpful in the same way as low doses of some poisons help build up a tolerance that allows one to survive an ordinarily fatal dose. Even if a larger scandal comes up, it will be more difficult to convince the public that it is really serious simply because there's been at least half a dozen of "really serious" scandals already.

Maybe; that kind of logic didn't help with Clinton one bit, and one of the constant complaints was that scandal seemed to be there no matter what, every single day. It's what got a Republican congress elected in 1994, arguably. 

I agree that Republicans aren't going to impeach. That takes up months of time, and it's months of time Ryan and McConnell would otherwise use to completely obliterate the US government systems and hurt the poor. 

47 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I can understand the Republican reluctance to get on board with impeachment train, they control the government (reportedly), and those tax cuts aren't going to appear on their own...but are they that worried about the actual political fallout that they're willing to keep their wagon hitched to 45, knowing that Pence would be in the Oval Office instead?  

They aren't there yet, not even close, but they are starting to move.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/16/trump-comey-republicans-congress-scandals-238479

Republicans are privately beginning to worry that they may one day have to sit in judgment of Trump, or that more damaging information from Comey could force the president to step down. Within hours of Tuesday's report by The New York Times, there was a distinct shift among congressional Republicans, who until now have mostly resisted criticizing Trump, let alone demanding the president be held to account for all he says or does.

House Oversight and Government Reform Committee Chairman Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah) immediately said he’s prepared to subpoena the memos that Comey reportedly wrote contemporaneously to document his interactions with Trump. Chaffetz sent a letter to the FBI on Tuesday night asking for any notes, documents or records of Trump and Comey’s conversations to be turned over to his panel by May 24.

Comey has also been invited by Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) to testify publicly at a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing to “tell his side of the story” about his dealings with Trump, Graham said Tuesday, even before this latest story broke.

More Republicans have openly discussed the possibility of a select committee or the appointment of a special prosecutor to look into the Trump-Russia connection. It's still a minority of GOP lawmakers, but Republican leaders are watching closely

And this is why:

And that was before the WaPo story yesterday or the NYT story today.

Oh and in a normal world, this would be a fucking massive story.

Turkish embassy security (and other Erdogan supporters) beat up Kurdish protesters on the street. The Embassy Row street. As in, right in the heart of northwest DC. US soil. Like 4 miles from the US capital building.

6 minutes ago, Fez said:

Oh and in a normal world, this would be a fucking massive story.

Turkish embassy security (and other Erdogan supporters) beat up Kurdish protesters on the street. The Embassy Row street. As in, right in the heart of northwest DC. US soil. Like 4 miles from the US capital building.

I guess if they are willing to commit common assault on the streets in full view of police and media, then I guess a covert assassination of Pro-Kurdish leaders on US soil might not be far away.

5 hours ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

I'm interested in the Democrats end game in their war on Trump. What is their strategy beyond impeaching him? Is it just a personal vendetta? Do they think that life under Mike Pence will be preferable, from a liberal point of view?

Or do they think Trump the Terrible presents a greater threat to them in the next presidential election than Pence or another candidate does? Is their best course of action not to let Trump continue making mistakes, gifting them the White House in 4 years time?

Principles and protecting the founding ideals of the USA?

Using Flynn as a lever might be strategy in this case. Because Pence and Ryan have been implied to have known about the issues.

3 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

/House of Cards, meet strong westerly wind.

If they can be shown to have known about the memo before being asked to put forward a case for firing Comey then that is super serious shit. While the fan that shit hits won't be directed straight at Trump it would still be hugely damaging for the administration. And of course the end of Session's and Rosenstien's careers, not sure what the prosecution situation would be though. Possibly nothing strictly illegal?

Archived