The Witcher on Netflix.

Macklunkey

3 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Fair enough.

I don't really remember his character in The 100 all that well, and I stopped watching it part way through season 3. Only watched 2 1/2 episodes of Black Sails, I remember him being in it, but again he made no particular impression.

The thing with casting Geralt is that if you are going to get one A/A-/B+ list actor for the show, then it kinda needs to be Geralt. Zach is B/B-. In theory an A/A- actor could play a supporting role that is in the show almost as much as Geralt. But what actor at that level in their career is going to sign up to be 2nd banana, unless this is their retirement gig? Eva Green, who's probably B+ these days, suggested for Yennefer by some here and she's a decent choice, could be the lead female role, but they will have to give her a lot more screen time than, apparently, the books give her for her to be an audience draw.

TV shows don't need actors with name recognition. They can be springboards for actors' careers. But it can help with marketing and with initially getting eyeballs on screen. There is a cost/benefit to it though. If you can get away with not hiring a big name for a lead role then that's usually a good thing. GoT made out really well with Sean Bean, since he was the main character but only lived for one season. He did the job he needed to do, and then the show was able to save $$ by literally and figuratively giving him the chop. Can't do that with Geralt.

Hes predominantly in season 4. 

Bit in season 3.

3 hours ago, karaddin said:

He was only in a few episodes early in the season - he's the exiled prince that Lexa duelled before killing his mother in the stand and making him king. I thought he did well enough with the role from what I vaguely remember before the show utterly pissed me off with Lexa and I too stopped watching.

Karl Urban would be one way to have me signed on for the full duration regardless of how good it is. I just love him.

I’m over the whole Lexa thing now I think. I mean she was a war commander I guess. Don’t get me wrong I love her - it just never made me want to stop watching. The character arcs continue to be done surprisingly well on that show. 

2 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Hes predominantly in season 4. 

Bit in season 3.

I’m over the whole Lexa thing now I think. I mean she was a war commander I guess. Don’t get me wrong I love her - it just never made me want to stop watching. The character arcs continue to be done surprisingly well on that show. 

Not really the thread for it - I did finish the season and was deeply unsatisfied with the rest of season 3 as well. I'm glad if its been good, the actors deserve it.

• 1 month later...

Henry Cavill wants to be Geralt, or so my son texted me. Apparently he's a pretty keen gamer (+1 respect from me right there), so he will have more than a mere in it for the pay day attitude to the project and will want to do right by the character. Who knows, he might also be a fan of the books.

I imagine Netflix would not want to pay him movie star salary. At least not for Season 1. But perhaps if Cavil is publicly coming out saying he wants to do it, he might be willing to take a typical Netflix salary for it (at least for Season 1). Whoever plays Geralt, (and several other main cast) if the show does as well with audiences and critics as GoT it will boost several careers, including Cavill's.

I'm wondering if Cavill has mentally and emotionally left the DCEU behind and really wants out and onto something new and different.

Unless mission impossible has rescued his Hollywood career he may be more content with the pay packet of several seasons of a fantasy show that he likes. It's not like the DC films have done him any favours even if I don't think he's at fault at all (I still like man of steel). But bvs the actor was lumbered with a joyless character who was scared. I can't even remember the character development in justice league it just felt like he was there (as were most of the cast).

I was dubious of Cavill more than being sort of half-familiar, but here's the video. He's a legit fan who is crazy for the original novels:

I think he's not quite rugged and battered enough to sell the character, but who knows? I bet his agents have been directed to look into it.

Ok, who actually looks like someone who has pale hair and literal wolf eyes? (Rhetorical)

Cavill is a big guy, who we've seen get muscled up and play physical roles. His voice is the only part that may not have the needed ruggedness, but other than that, he could do it.

That's cool he's a fan through and through. If not the lead they should definitely find a role for him in the show somewhere. I think an actor can bring something extra to the table when they are genuinely enthusiastic about it. Look at Ryan Reynolds with Deadpool.

I think Cavill was stronger in the last two seasons of The Tudors, which his character was older, more jaded and more cynical than anything else I've seen him in. If he brings that to the table, he could be decent. I certainly wouldn't scream and declare the project dead if he was cast in the role. Right now I'm preferring McGowan, who glowers a lot better and both looks and sounds more like the game version of Geralt (at least).

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

I think Cavill was stronger in the last two seasons of The Tudors, which his character was older, more jaded and more cynical than anything else I've seen him in. If he brings that to the table, he could be decent. I certainly wouldn't scream and declare the project dead if he was cast in the role. Right now I'm preferring McGowan, who glowers a lot better and both looks and sounds more like the game version of Geralt (at least).

I want McGowan for the role!!!! I've been telling everyone hs is my pick and lots of people agree!!!

2 minutes ago, briantw said:

If he's interested, I'm sure they could find a role for him, but he absolutely doesn't look grizzled enough to be Geralt.  

McGowan? He looks very grizzled. Cavill, not so much.

The other Fan's Choice, Mikkelsen, might be too grizzled. I also feel, as great an actor as he is, he would be a little too cold (Geralt has an empathetic and, very occasionally, goofy side) and maybe a little too old, harsh as that sounds.

1 minute ago, Werthead said:

McGowan? He looks very grizzled. Cavill, not so much.

The other Fan's Choice, Mikkelsen, might be too grizzled. I also feel, as great an actor as he is, he would be a little too cold (Geralt has an empathetic and, very occasionally, goofy side) and maybe a little too old, harsh as that sounds.

Was talking Cavill.

McGowan definitely seems like he could look the part.  Haven't seen enough of him to know about his acting ability, though.

And yeah, one of my favorite things in the games is Geralt's shitty sense of humor.

Grizzled can be managed through makeup.

He's a good actor, he's a gamer (and specifically a fan of the Witcher games), he loves the books, he's built, he has action chops. Objectively there is nothing that counts against him for the role, at least nothing that makeup and some aggressive stubble can't deal with (Superman with a beard at the start of MoS was a thing of beauty).

Being a fan of the Witcher games is significant, because if there is one thing that needs to be translated from game to screen it's game Geralt's vibe. So the actor who plays Geralt being a fan of the games is a substantial bonus in his favour.

19 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I honestly think McGowan would be sooooo good in the role. He just has it all - he has the voice, the physical capabilities, he looks like Geralt!!! He can play a believable badass. 

Y'see, McGowan really does nothing for me. I don't like him, I don't hate him. The roles I've seen him in have been performed adequately, but pretty much left me flat. So I would give him a soft pass on the basis that I don't think he would really click with me.

I thought McGowan was great in black sails but I'm not sure that kind of character works as the lead in a show so I'd be slightly concerned if Geralt is the same or are people mainly focused on the physical resemblance?

Sometimes a left field choice who simply casts well is the way to go? Maybe throw in a couple of big names for recurring roles or Ned Stark scenarios.

I think they'd be missing a trick not considering Cavill for a role as that kind of geeky familiarity with the source materials can come in very handy for promo work.

10 hours ago, Ran said:

I was dubious of Cavill more than being sort of half-familiar, but here's the video. He's a legit fan who is crazy for the original novels:

I think he's not quite rugged and battered enough to sell the character, but who knows? I bet his agents have been directed to look into it.

Watching that clip again I can't help but think Cavill knows a lot more than he's letting on. Almost like someone who's actively reading the books and playing the games in preparation for casting. I think he and his agents have probably been in touch already.

2 hours ago, red snow said:

Watching that clip again I can't help but think Cavill knows a lot more than he's letting on. Almost like someone who's actively reading the books and playing the games in preparation for casting. I think he and his agents have probably been in touch already.

Maybe I should watch again. My first impression was that he's very keen but seemingly an outside chance to get the role. Though if he pops up in a few interviews talking about how much he knows and loves all things Witcher and playing Geralt would be great, I would be inclined to think that this is a tactic to get the fanbase warmed up for the inevitable announcement of him playing the part of Geralt. 

Archived