The Witcher on Netflix.

Macklunkey

49 minutes ago, john said:

That’s a shame. Not about Cavill, I’m happy enough with that,  but I liked his fanboy interview and now it seems it was probably bullshit.  Actors, eh.

Commiserations to Theda though. :P

Cavill is a huge gamer from way back in the day, RPGs especially. He missed the call offering him Superman because he was on a major WoW raid and had to call back to get it confirmed :) So there's not much chance that he was unaware of the second-biggest-selling Western CRPG this decade (Witcher 3). He's also played the game through twice, which I don't think is physically possible (given his acting jobs and other demands on time) to do in just the last few months.

Just now, Spockydog said:

He's totally made of wood. Terrible casting.

Right!?! I’m soooo not impressed. I don’t care that he’s a gamer - the teenage boy that lives across the road from me is a gamer but that doesn’t mean he should play Geralt 

god damnit :( I really wanted zach macgowan 

32 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

god damnit :( I really wanted zach macgowan 

You're kidding, right? If Cavill's made of pine, this bloke's carved from a big old talentless lump of mahogany.  In Black Sails, we had one of the best characters played by arguably the worst actor on the show. The only thing more terrible than either of these two would be Charlie fucking Hunnam. :P

6 hours ago, Ran said:

Nice. I'm guessing he was already in negotiations when he was asked about it and fanboyed over the books while claiming to be interested.

Yeap...

I am happy for Cavill. He seems like a great guy, someone who is working very hard for every role he gets, Once, he was the unluckiest man in Hollywood. 10 years later, he is basically in every conversation about roles and franchises. 

I'm not thrilled, but not disappointed either. I don't think he has the looks, but I guess we will be pleasantly surprised by the characterisation. No one can argue he's on the spot right now and such a casting can increase the prestige of the show itself, resulting in better castings in supporting roles. At least I hope it may be the case. I wonder now if he really read the books.

12 hours ago, Spockydog said:

You're kidding, right? If Cavill's made of pine, this bloke's carved from a big old talentless lump of mahogany.  In Black Sails, we had one of the best characters played by arguably the worst actor on the show. The only thing more terrible than either of these two would be Charlie fucking Hunnam. :P

No I’m not kidding - and I loved him as Charles Vane. It doesn’t matter that he’s not the most expressive becaus he’s still interesting and distinct enough to pull the role off - he looks like Geralt, sounds like Geralt is physically capable of the role so why would I be kidding. He’s not an Oscar winning actor but I think he has presence. Cavill is a non entity boring AF

13 hours ago, Risto said:

Yeap...

I am happy for Cavill. He seems like a great guy, someone who is working very hard for every role he gets, Once, he was the unluckiest man in Hollywood. 10 years later, he is basically in every conversation about roles and franchises. 

If this disappoints though he really needs to get someone else to pick his roles.

While we could have a thespian take on the role I suspect that would just leave mads mikkelsen and I think he is very choosy of what jobs he takes on especially with TV work. It might just well be the case the script/pitch for this show isnt going to attract that kind of actor. It doesn't mean it'll be a bad show but some roles don't need an amazing actor. Maybe Cavill is genuinely excited at playing a character he likes and what he's seen in terms of the show's pitch and early scripts? It's bound to be more fun than having to play a dour, feared and hated version of one of the most optimistic and hope inspiring superheroes  

2 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

No I’m not kidding - and I loved him as Charles Vane. It doesn’t matter that he’s not the most expressive becaus he’s still interesting and distinct enough to pull the role off - he looks like Geralt, sounds like Geralt is physically capable of the role so why would I be kidding. He’s not an Oscar winning actor but I think he has presence. Cavill is a non entity boring AF

Call me old fashioned, but I prefer my actors to be able to actually act. In Black Sails, MacGowan's Vito Corleone, Charles Vane was painful to watch.

17 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

This guy was appalling in everything he's been in.

I liked him as Varro on Spartacus. But I never supposed he was an actor with a lot of range, and I gather his performances in other things have borne that out?

Just now, Spockydog said:

Bah. There was more talent in Crixus' prosthetic cock. :P

Eh, Varro was substantially more charming.

(Also, I don't think Manu Glaber used a prosthetic. The prosthetics were pretty obvious.)

I thought Cavill was pretty solid in the latest Mission Impossible movie. I haven't seen much else of his work, but if he's capable of hitting that level of enjoyable competence, it'll be plenty. So long as there's a solid supporting cast, presumably of veteran British stage actors like every other fantasy show and movie.

I wonder if a lot of the negative opinion of Cavill comes from his DC Universe movies, which, considering all their other problems, don't seem like a fair place to judge acting ability from.

Archived