U.S. Politics: Despite Negative Press Covfefe, We Will Always Have Paris

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I just posted this in the UK Politics thread, because I had a few choices. Am reposting here.

I'm hard pressed to know which thread to post this in. I just watched Trump surrogate Jeffrey Lord, a real piece of work himself, justify Trump's posts about the Mayor of London. The Mayor telling people not to be alarmed about extra police on the streets was just like Neville Chamberlain telling Londoners not to be alarmed about Nazi bombers flying over London. Trump obviously believes the British are not taking terrorism seriously, he said.

That Republican attitude should be enough to convince anyone not to vote for the Conservatives.

And I just posted this in response: 

I fail to see your reasoning. The Conservatives are not Trump. They have rejected any form of Muslim ban, have noted that the Muslim community should not be vilified on the basis of terrorist actions and have called for unity amongst all communities. To suggest otherwise is to slander decent people with whom you disagree, though not, as far as I can tell, on the issue actually being discussed. 

In other words, please do not associate Conservatives with that educationally subnormal, ethically vacuous, neo-Nazi scumbag.

16 minutes ago, Nasty LongRider said:

^^^^^Good Grief, we had two folks on this thread the past day or so agreeing with the travel ban.  Don't think that they would call themselves liberals.

Let me add something here:

If we're talking about British Conservatives, I have no strong opinion here, as I don't understand them as quite as well as our own homegrown version, though it's my impression that British Conservatives are more sane than the American variety.

If we're talking about American Conservatism, it damn well does support Trump. American conservatism has  been intellectual dumpster fire for awhile now. Trump isn't something that hit them randomly out of the blue. He is the symptom, not the disease.

So, @Fragile Bird, if you want to say that American Conservatism has gone insane and helped to produce Trump, please do so. I sure in the hell will.

Whether or not I think Tories are in line with Trump (I don't, for the record, at least on the political side) I think it's a very shrewd move of labor to try and align May and other conservatives in the UK with Trump. As far as I can tell the UK has an exceptionally poor view of Trump for the most part, and it's getting worse all the time. Linking them is not particularly hard (her speech with Trump near the inauguration is an example) and you can get some guilt by association.

It isn't fair, but it's excellent strategy. 

New tactic for Trump's clean-up crew is to attack the media's obsession with Trump's tweets.  I know they want to play up the 'media is the enemy' line, but does anyone really buy this shit?  Trump's tweets are covered because they are messages COMING DIRECTLY FROM THE PRESIDENT.  Conway, et. al. are essentially saying - why don't you guys wait for one of us to clean up his statements into something coherent and less terrible before you go pouncing on it?  

They're trying to draw a distinction between white house policy and the tweeter in chief by claiming that Trump's social media presence is of no consequence.  You don't get that luxury when you are president of the United States and nobody should have to explain that to them.  It's maddening. 

40 minutes ago, S John said:

New tactic for Trump's clean-up crew is to attack the media's obsession with Trump's tweets.  I know they want to play up the 'media is the enemy' line, but does anyone really buy this shit?  Trump's tweets are covered because they are messages COMING DIRECTLY FROM THE PRESIDENT.  Conway, et. al. are essentially saying - why don't you guys wait for one of us to clean up his statements into something coherent and less terrible before you go pouncing on it?  

They're trying to draw a distinction between white house policy and the tweeter in chief by claiming that Trump's social media presence is of no consequence.  You don't get that luxury when you are president of the United States and nobody should have to explain that to them.  It's maddening. 

Yea, people buy this shit. It won't get them new voters though but solidify the "us against the elites" narrative for their base.

1 hour ago, Nasty LongRider said:

^^^^^Good Grief, we had two folks on this thread the past day or so agreeing with the travel ban.  Don't think that they would call themselves liberals.

I thought it was obvious from the context of Fragile Bird's post, and the capitalisation, that I was referring to the British Conservative Party.

Well, now this is interesting. Top secret NSA Report details Russian hacking attempts of voting systems and election officials days before the election. The report doesn't conclude definitively the Russian hacker accomplishments but they certainly tried.

ETA: On the flip side, these leaks are getting ridiculous. The NSA/CIA will have no secrets left by the end of this administration.

1 hour ago, S John said:

Yup, I know tons of Trump voters who literally think that statements from the president are meaningless simply because they come from Trump on the twitter platform.  There's even a poster in this thread who's mocked the conversation here for discussing statements from the president.  It's absurd and simply inconceivable.  

31 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Yup, I know tons of Trump voters who literally think that statements from the president are meaningless simply because they come from Trump on the twitter platform.  There's even a poster in this thread who's mocked the conversation here for discussing statements from the president.  It's absurd and simply inconceivable.  

It's pretty clear that the only statements from the President that matter are his tweets. Everyone needs to stop tweeting them as "tweets" and more as "statements from the President" since what his surrogates and spokesman say are meaningless.

24 minutes ago, Mexal said:

It's pretty clear that the only statements from the President that matter are his tweets. Everyone needs to stop tweeting them as "tweets" and more as "statements from the President" since what his surrogates and spokesman say are meaningless.

Yep. It would be fun to read an analysis of the percentage of his tweets that later had to be cleaned up by his staff.  

As you all may have noticed as his solution to creating infrastructure jobs, t***pitler plans to remove air traffic control from the Federal Aviation Agency, and privatize it.  This is going to work by replacing human air traffic controllers with technology.

Some do not think this is a good idea including these people in small Minnesota towns --

http://www.startribune.com/small-airports-many-minnesota-towns-fear-turning-air-traffic-control-into-a-business/415510274/

How this is going to generate jobs escapes me.

Additionally, having grown up with a father who was a pilot, and a brother who is an aeronautics engineer, I feel extremely uncomfortable with having only technology directing the enormously dense air traffic of, o say where I live now -- particularly when factoring in the every increasing number of drones adding to the density. I still believe in talented human beings' capacity to pull out of emergencies by experience coupled with seat of the pants reactions.  I've seen it in action, just as I've too often seen failure of tech in action leading to disaster.

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

Well, now this is interesting. Top secret NSA Report details Russian hacking attempts of voting systems and election officials days before the election. The report doesn't conclude definitively the Russian hacker accomplishments but they certainly tried.

ETA: On the flip side, these leaks are getting ridiculous. The NSA/CIA will have no secrets left by the end of this administration.

And the leaker gets arrested. That didn't take long.

8 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

Is it possible to withdraw the invitation for an offical state visit? (Yes, I know, the invitation should never have been made in the first place, but still...)

Honestly, I hope the Brits do withdraw the invitation.  

But isn't there an election there in a few days now?  (I'm not certain of how it all works.)  If May isn't returned as PM, what would happen to the invitation?

6 hours ago, Hereward said:

And I just posted this in response: 

I fail to see your reasoning. The Conservatives are not Trump. They have rejected any form of Muslim ban, have noted that the Muslim community should not be vilified on the basis of terrorist actions and have called for unity amongst all communities. To suggest otherwise is to slander decent people with whom you disagree, though not, as far as I can tell, on the issue actually being discussed. 

In other words, please do not associate Conservatives with that educationally subnormal, ethically vacuous, neo-Nazi scumbag.

Lol, yes, and now I need to add my explanation as posted in the other thread. :)

I was nearly apoplectic when I saw Jeffrey Lord speak. All I could think of was the PM walking hand in hand with Trump. I don't think I suggested that attitude of the British government is the same, but not everyone may have made the same immediate visual connection I did. Trump and May, hand in hand. How do you support a Trump supporter?

Jeffrey Lord, in case you don't know him, is a Trump surrogate who always finds every single thing Trump says or does perfectly reasonable and correct. The other week, after some ridiculous thing Trump tweeted or said, Anderson Cooper got so frustrated he actually told him that Trump could poop on his desk in the Oval office and Lord would defend him. I don't think I've ever seen Cooper that annoyed in years.

Kalbear certainly expressed the truth of it. It's not fair to connect the two of them, but it is good strategy.

@OldGimletEye I was talking about the Brits, not Americans. :)

2 hours ago, Mexal said:

And the leaker gets arrested. That didn't take long.

I don't think what she leaked was worth going to jail for.  The document doesn't really tell us anything new and doesn't provide any of the raw data that supports the conclusions of the analyst.  The declassified report issued earlier this year in January stated that the Russians gained access to state and local electoral boards, but that voting counting systems weren't compromised.  The leaked document doesn't contradict this.  It just give some more details regarding the type of state and local systems that were compromised, such as voter registration systems, and additional details regarding the Russian spear fishing operations.

If there was proof that vote totals were affected, that would be big news.  But this leaked document isn't going to generate much discussion or change anything.

1 minute ago, Mudguard said:

I don't think what she leaked was worth going to jail for.  The document doesn't really tell us anything new and doesn't provide any of the raw data that supports the conclusions of the analyst.  The declassified report issued earlier this year in January stated that the Russians gained access to state and local electoral boards, but that voting counting systems weren't compromised.  The leaked document doesn't contradict this.  It just give some more details regarding the type of state and local systems that were compromised, such as voter registration systems, and additional details regarding the Russian spear fishing operations.

If there was proof that vote totals were affected, that would be big news.  But this leaked document isn't going to generate much discussion or change anything.

lol... except for the bolded totally agree

Archived