NBA playoffs 2018 - Raptors over Cavs in 6

Red Tiger

2 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Maybe New Orleans if they ditch Cousins and can bring in somebody else to play 3rd banana. 

And don't forget the Superteam Cousins himself is building.

One eagle-eyed Instagram user asked Cousins why he unfollowed the Pelicans. “Cause I’m grown,” was his response. Cousins wasn’t done there. He immediately followed Oklahoma City Thunder swingman Paul George and Los Angeles Lakers power forward Julius Randle, according to Clutch Points’ Shane Mickle. With George heavily rumored to join the Lakers this summer as a free agent, many now are speculating Cousins might follow him (in the literal and physical senses).

I guess he thinks he and George are going to the Lakers. And I'm sure the Lakers are a good 50% down with this plan. 

4 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

And don't forget the Superteam Cousins himself is building.

I guess he thinks he and George are going to the Lakers. And I'm sure the Lakers are a good 50% down with this plan. 

If you take the existing Lakers and add George and Cousins, you might get out of the first round (but you might not), and that's not even close to a serious challenge to GSW or Houston.  Maybe Cousins saw this year's OKC team and thought "I need to get in on that action."

47 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

If you take the existing Lakers and add George and Cousins, you might get out of the first round (but you might not), and that's not even close to a serious challenge to GSW or Houston.  Maybe Cousins saw this year's OKC team and thought "I need to get in on that action."

What action?  An embarrassing first round exit?  Cousins' own team made it further.  Granted, he wasn't playing, but still.

5 minutes ago, briantw said:

What action?  An embarrassing first round exit?  Cousins' own team made it further.  Granted, he wasn't playing, but still.

Uhh, yes.  I know. 

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

A starting lineup of Ball/Ingram/George/Kuzma/Cousins with IT coming off the bench isn't terrible, but it would absolutely end their chances for the 2019 offseason. I think the only question is could they make a good enough trade package to get Kawhi? Doubtful, in my book. The Celtics have the inside track on that one (I'd offer Brown, Rozier and maybe something else for Kawhi in a sign and trade or something, assuming the money works out).

Also, to your previous point and the regular season, I get where you're coming from, and you're not wrong. I just wanted to highlight that GS and Houston weren't dusting the Celtics. And I think the Celtics could get a few games from the Warriors if Curry is hurt. You know Smart is going to make him suffer all day long.

49 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Also, to your previous point and the regular season, I get where you're coming from, and you're not wrong. I just wanted to highlight that GS and Houston weren't dusting the Celtics. And I think the Celtics could get a few games from the Warriors if Curry is hurt. You know Smart is going to make him suffer all day long.

They might leave Rozier on Curry and send Smart to chase Klay around... 

I know the Warriors are more talented across the board, but I like thinking about the matchups. Even inferior versions of this team have played the Warriors well in the regular season.

8 hours ago, briantw said:

Thank you Ted, that was the joke.

Let's not compare what the Warriors did in the regular season to what's going to happen in the playoffs. If they had tried, they're a 70+ win team that destroys everyone they played. They were dicking around this year.

Not much of a game here, so I will turn to a question cropping up on UK message boards.

There are stories of internal strife with the TWolves and KAT could be on the move?  Any truth?

9 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

That game was not at all surprising.

Adam Silver’s script for game 4 calls for a close but comfortable Cleveland win.

Lue said it after game 1, but he's accurate: the Celtics play mug ball at home. They can't get away with that on the road. They've got a ton of young, big, strong athletes and that's been a large part of their defensive strategy. Except it only works at home. It is the least surprising thing on the planet that Boston is 9-0 at home in the playoffs and 1-5 on the road.

1 hour ago, sperry said:

Lue said it after game 1, but he's accurate: the Celtics play mug ball at home. They can't get away with that on the road. They've got a ton of young, big, strong athletes and that's been a large part of their defensive strategy. Except it only works at home. It is the least surprising thing on the planet that Boston is 9-0 at home in the playoffs and 1-5 on the road.

For this one, I'd personally blame blown defensive assignments, bad shots, sluggish and sloppy offense by the Celtics, and that JR Smith started making open threes and George Hill woke up, and LeBron started giving effort on defense again...

But sure. For three playoff series, the Celtics have been given home license by the league to mug their oppoonents. Against the likes of Giannis, Simmons, Embiid, and LeBron freaking James. So clever of Boston to arrange preferential home treatment from the refs, unlike every other home team in the league.

5 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

For this one, I'd personally blame blown defensive assignments, bad shots, sluggish and sloppy offense by the Celtics, and that JR Smith started making open threes and George Hill woke up, and LeBron started giving effort on defense again...

But sure. For three playoff series, the Celtics have been given home license by the league to mug their oppoonents. Against the likes of Giannis, Simmons, Embiid, and LeBron freaking James. So clever of Boston to arrange preferential home treatment from the refs, unlike every other home team in the league.

Damn you Boston fans are sensitive haha. Anyway, less to do with refs and a lot more to do with feeding from the energy of a supportive crowd. Pretty typical of young teams. 

47 minutes ago, Relic said:

Damn you Boston fans are sensitive haha. Anyway, less to do with refs and a lot more to do with feeding from the energy of a supportive crowd. Pretty typical of young teams. 

Sperry keeps banging the "Gooning it up at home is a huuuuge part of how Boston is succeeding" drum. Like the Celtics are getting preferential treatment, and no one else gets home calls or plays more physically at home? Like Marcus Smart and Al Horford are overwhelming those poor delicate flowers on Milwaukee, Philly, and Cleveland? LeBron was better on defense last night so I guess he gooned it up on home cooking too.

ETA: Sorry Sour Billy, all this flirting isn't going to get you my phone number or get me to come down to Camden to observe your manhood.

4 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Sperry keeps banging the "Gooning it up at home is a huuuuge part of how Boston is succeeding" drum. Like the Celtics are getting preferential treatment, and no one else gets home calls or plays more physically at home? Like Marcus Smart and Al Horford are overwhelming those poor delicate flowers on Milwaukee, Philly, and Cleveland? LeBron was better on defense last night so I guess he gooned it up on home cooking too.

ETA: Sorry Sour Billy, all this flirting isn't going to get you my phone number or get me to come down to Camden to observe your manhood.

It's more like handchecking and bodying into guys on every single play as they advance the ball upcourt, move off screens, etc. It's how Boston wants to play because they're younger and more athletic than their opponents. They get away with it at home and they don't on the road.

29 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Man I thought the Rockets could maybe make it an interesting series.  Hoh well.

The main hope I saw for the Rockets was Curry continuing to not be himself. Yeah, about that.

As great as JaVale McGee and Jordan Clarkson heat checks are, I'd kill for a meaningful 4th quarter in either conference finals. 

Archived