U.S. Politics- This Is Us, Basically Fascists

Jace, Extat

2 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Also, there's no reason to believe his ancestors from that time period are exclusively British.  Some Great, Great so-and-so emigrates to America and takes a German or Polish spouse and the geographical area gets considerably larger.  This isn't even counting how people might have moved around in the preceding centuries (war, trade, etc) 

This became a news story a few years ago having do with a John McCain family history where they claimed descent from both Robert the Bruce.  Aside from what you read on the internet (which is always correct), The Brits had a somewhat different view.  It turns out they take this genaeology stuff fairly seriously.  Two problems:

1. Unless you are actual nobility, it is virtually impossible to reliably trace your family tree back to the medieval period.  I'd imagine that even for nobility it get's pretty dodgy in places.**

2. Robert the Bruce had a dozen children, including the bastards. His descendants today likely number in the millions.

So "really hard to prove" and "not that special if you did."  I just don't understand this fascination some people have about being a distant royal descendant.

**Edit: without documentation.  Apparently such documentation exists for some people

A lot of this - also 36 generations in somewhere like Scotland gives nowhere near to 68 million ancestors - it gives 68 million possible ancestors; most of whom will be the same; especially where nobility is involved.
Had the family stayed in Scotland; it would highly unlikely to reach 1 million ancestors (and in rural areas, way, way less than that) - migration massively increases that diversity with each step - how much so depends on the location migrated to (or from in the case of an incoming spouse).

In locations and times when travel was hard; marriage will usually come from within the village; as it will have done for each preceding generation. Outside of royalty - marrying anyone from more than walking distance away would have been a scandal; and only really viable to the wealthy, or the soldiery (Best wed over mixen than over moor). This only really changed with mass transportation a few generations ago.

9 hours ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

We also need to talk about the elephant in the room: Sen. Tina Smith. She’s never won a race as the candidate and frankly she’s a milquetoast campaigner.

There's absolutely no reason to be concerned about Smith's seat at this point until some type of indicator shows otherwise.

Apparently president moron 'decided' (not really him probably) to lift the Obama era prohibition on GME crops with insecticides which were already linked to the declining population of bees in the USA.

This is ofc a incredibly bad decision (as usual from the death cult called GOP) because bees pollinate everything and them turning even endangered, much less extinct is a horrible scenario for survival long term.

But hey, sure showed EPA right?

30% to 40% of human crops (not counting all the wild plants) are pollinated by bees naturally, so no doubt Monsanto is already working on a 'solution'.

11 hours ago, LongRider said:

About that voter fraud;

This links to what Dunlap put online;   http://paceidocs.sosonline.org/

Also in the Washington Post today:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2018/08/03/the-most-bizarre-thing-ive-ever-been-a-part-of-trump-panel-found-no-voter-fraud-ex-member-says/?

“After reading this,” Dunlap said of the more than 8,000 pages of documents in an interview with The Washington Post, “I see that it wasn’t just a matter of investigating President Trump’s claims that three to five million people voted illegally, but the goal of the commission seems to have been to validate those claims.”

After a career of more than 20 years that has included stints as a state representative and the chairmanship of a committee on fisheries and wildlife, Dunlap said that his time on the panel was “the most bizarre thing I’ve ever been a part of.”

“We had more transparency on a deer task force than I had on a presidential commission,” he said. “We had probably a dozen meetings. They were all public. We published everything we did in the newspaper and published results, including information we got from the public.”

10 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

A lot of this - also 36 generations in somewhere like Scotland gives nowhere near to 68 million ancestors - it gives 68 million possible ancestors; most of whom will be the same; especially where nobility is involved.
Had the family stayed in Scotland; it would highly unlikely to reach 1 million ancestors (and in rural areas, way, way less than that) - migration massively increases that diversity with each step - how much so depends on the location migrated to (or from in the case of an incoming spouse).

In locations and times when travel was hard; marriage will usually come from within the village; as it will have done for each preceding generation. Outside of royalty - marrying anyone from more than walking distance away would have been a scandal; and only really viable to the wealthy, or the soldiery (Best wed over mixen than over moor). This only really changed with mass transportation a few generations ago.

Also, for people wedged between common folk and royalty, marriage might be set up with close relatives to keep the family wealth close.

http://discovermagazine.com/2003/aug/featkiss

I remember seeing some article where it claimed something like 80% of all marriages were between second cousins or closer.  That doesn't sound that crazy to me.

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

After a career of more than 20 years that has included stints as a state representative and the chairmanship of a committee on fisheries and wildlife, Dunlap said that his time on the panel was “the most bizarre thing I’ve ever been a part of.”

3 minutes ago, Casablanca Birdie said:

That rabid NRA spokeswoman, Dana Loesch, who says so many repulsive things, has now defended the right to 3D printing of guns as a hobby, like knitting.

What an insult to knitters.

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/08/nra-spokesperson-dana-loesch-3d-printing-untraceable-guns-wholesome-hobby-like-knitting/

This is my problem with modern conservatism.  It isn't that they are "conservative".  It's that they aren't tethered to reality.  They've become the party of Alex Jones.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/mixing-protest-and-party-nightly-kremlin-annex-rally-outside-the-white-house-reaches-its-third-week/2018/08/02/ffefec9a-94dc-11e8-86ab-42da8f0b33ea_story.html?

Mixing protest and party, nightly ‘Kremlin Annex’ rally outside the White House reaches its third week

Organizers welcome those who want to confront President Trump daily, at high volume.

Doubtless soon we'll be hearing of the incivility of these people for loudly criticizing / objecting to the orange nazi and his destruction of the nation.

22 minutes ago, Zorral said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/mixing-protest-and-party-nightly-kremlin-annex-rally-outside-the-white-house-reaches-its-third-week/2018/08/02/ffefec9a-94dc-11e8-86ab-42da8f0b33ea_story.html?

Doubtless soon we'll be hearing of the incivility of these people for loudly criticizing / objecting to the orange nazi and his destruction of the nation.

Are they getting private trains too?  Maybe none of them are friends with Stephen Miller

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/08/dc-subway-workers-union-refusing-staff-special-cars-designated-white-nationalists-attending-unite-right-anniversary-rally/

Portland is most likely going to get really violent today, and someone is going to die. 

No doubt the resident apologists / sympathizers that push the both sides false equivlances will still do so, even though it's evident the right is looking to be violent and will not submit themselves to weapons searches, because they want to be violent and use weapons, like guns. 

22 minutes ago, Bonnot OG said:

Portland is most likely going to get really violent today, and someone is going to die. 

No doubt the resident apologists / sympathizers that push the both sides false equivlances will still do so, even though it's evident the right is looking to be violent and will not submit themselves to weapons searches, because they want to be violent and use weapons, like guns. 

They'll do what they did after Charlottesville: both-side-ism and blame the victim. Let's hope nothing happens.

https://abc6onyourside.com/news/local/voter-receives-bogus-text-message-of-polling-place-change

sounds like a effective strategy of mass voter suppression, especially with the disenfranchisement rules already in place and the support of Russia and the whitehouse and cambrige analytica.

expect this to be used in mass and Baghdad Jane on the the white house to proclaim the media the enemy of the people some more.

3 hours ago, Triskjavikson said:

Grew up my whole life there but don't live there anymore.  Very curious to see what happens.  I know that to some extent this is all cities in America, but Portland has a really skewed ratio of very progressive city dwellers and quite racist klan-esque people outside the city.  A perfect storm.  

The cops, who in Portland employ actual nazis https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2014/07/portland_police_capt_mark_krug.html,

did what they do best. Attack anti fascists. They're (the cops) are trying to lie and say that they we're attacked first, which is bullshit. 

3 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

They'll do what they did after Charlottesville: both-side-ism and blame the victim. Let's hope nothing happens.

Too late. 

20 hours ago, DMC said:

#QAnon, the scarily popular pro-Trump conspiracy theory, explained

I like it because it gives homeless people on the street rambling about the end is nigh relative dignity.

It would be funny if it wasn't for the fact that it seems like so many people are so ready to believe it. At this point I would say Hillary Clinton is a serious assassination target. If you really believe she is a big player in a pedophile ring the more time that passes without her being taken into custody and charged the more you are going to think you need to take matters into your own hand.

Eh, all high profile liberals are assassination targets to the cult. Clinton is better protected than most and will probably survive even the coup they're attempting if it's successful by going into exile, assuming state level agents don't go through the protections of the host state.

I'm interested in how they'll treat the billionaires if the coup is a success. The idiot in chief already boviated about his party Koch leash. They wanted a Pinochet (without all of the sexual sadism and rape of those murder camps no doubt), they got less than a Caligula (that is already working on the camps and wants some short victorious wars).

No doubt they expect the naked grift to increase their profits +3% or solidify their political control for their pointless egomania, but the thing about narcissists is that they can't abide peers. He admires Putin (for now while he's 'helping') because he made himself the richest man in the world by assassination and tyranny and stealing openly from other oligarchs. No, i don't expect much laughter from them if he's successful. Probably the 'plan' such as it is is the vice president and a bullet, but imagine if that fails lol.

If Putin was a halfass intelligent operative he would run up the scores for Dems in 'safe' midterm races, leaving clear fingerprints. 

Thereby not threatening the Bolshevik party which -might- avoid losing the House, and throwing doubt on the Democrats in victory or defeat which gives ol Trumpy an excuse to make a harsh voting crackdown in the lead up to 2020. 

If any Russian bots are showing this post to their boss, I'm full of good ideas and am very willing to accept asylum for a pretty moderate exchange of a decent apartment in Kaliningrad with enough of a stipend to afford the new Marvel movies and copious amounts of fried chicken. 

Actually, throw in enough of a signing bonus for a good deep fryer and I'll bread/cook them myself. I don't speak Russian, but I'm a quick study.

Hell, I'm even open to fermenting anti-Ukranian sympathies for up to 3 months a year.

Ehhh, just come to a continental Europe country. Most of ours parliamentary systems are more resistant to plebes (especially germany that explicitly doesn't like hate speech for obvious reasons) and are less constitutionally based to leave huge holes for trolls to attack institutions (it took a referendum and major bribes for the UK-IP russian production for instance), though the privatization mania is in full swing.

It'll take... at least another two generations for the chaos of global warming to implode the european union and by then Russia will be probably even worse of. It's quite possible that a faux-revanchist America (after invading mexico and cuba) and Russia (after invading ex-soviet satellites) will try to play chicken with nukes for 'trade concessions' but that's life in fascism-land. Russia will probably have worse problems with China by then anyway.

There is still lots of immigrant racism, ofc, because humans are worms but choose the right place and you can live a life (probably not your descendants ofc, cause global warming, pollination crisis, salinated water springs etc, is sure to cause low grade wars and mass displacement). What was it, 3 ºC inevitable by now?

You won't get hot water (if you're intelligent and don't want to donate to tyranny), but frankly who needs it with 16 ºC in winter? Towel showers are a thing and quite effective at saving useful water too.

Now i still want to leave a section to encourage people to vote, since it's the better way that the scenario on the previous post is made 'complicated' to the traitors at the GOP and the nazis in the Trump base.

1 hour ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

If Putin was a halfass intelligent operative he would run up the scores for Dems in 'safe' midterm races, leaving clear fingerprints. 

Thereby not threatening the Bolshevik party which -might- avoid losing the House, and throwing doubt on the Democrats in victory or defeat which gives ol Trumpy an excuse to make a harsh voting crackdown in the lead up to 2020. 

If any Russian bots are showing this post to their boss, I'm full of good ideas and am very willing to accept asylum for a pretty moderate exchange of a decent apartment in Kaliningrad with enough of a stipend to afford the new Marvel movies and copious amounts of fried chicken. 

Actually, throw in enough of a signing bonus for a good deep fryer and I'll bread/cook them myself. I don't speak Russian, but I'm a quick study.

Hell, I'm even open to fermenting anti-Ukranian sympathies for up to 3 months a year.

In Putin's Russia, the chicken fries you.

Archived