Samwell and euron

Coffeewiththegods

Came across this on reddit while searching the fate of euron...thought it was interesting and hadn’t seen it discussed before.

"Samwell. A new novice, come to see the Mage."

"The Citadel is not what it was," complained the blond. "They will take anything these days. Dusky dogs and Dornishmen, pig boys, cripples, cretins, and now a black-clad whale. And here I thought leviathans [Sam] were grey."

Behind the dais a kraken [Euron] and grey leviathan [Sam]were locked in battle beneath the painted waves.

19 minutes ago, Coffeewiththegods said:

Came across this on reddit while searching the fate of euron...thought it was interesting and hadn’t seen it discussed before.

"Samwell. A new novice, come to see the Mage."

"The Citadel is not what it was," complained the blond. "They will take anything these days. Dusky dogs and Dornishmen, pig boys, cripples, cretins, and now a black-clad whale. And here I thought leviathans [Sam] were grey."

Behind the dais a kraken [Euron] and grey leviathan [Sam]were locked in battle beneath the painted waves.

Samwell vs. Euron is an interesting angle.  I hope it happens.  

Sam is scared of normal people, just looking at a freak like Euron would probably cause him to piss his pants. xD

I could see him possibly pulling a Tyrion at the Blackwater and coming up with some sort of clever trick to hinder Euron. I think that Valyrian Steel armor of his would be put to much better use up North, and unless Sam takes it I cant see how it would end up there. 

15 hours ago, Coffeewiththegods said:

Well, for now Sam is a BLACK leviathan, as Leo points out. Even Maester Aemon wore black, not grey, despite being a Maester before joining the NW. Given that, I think it's unlikely Sam will become a grey leviathan...  but who else amongst the grey rats has the scale to be a leviathan???

No but i agree with the idea that jachen is there

The faceless man will fool all the other maesters and novices but il bet he slips up with some factiods thrown in normal maester novice conversation being not 100% correct and  that allow sam to know hes not really 'pate' and gets the drop on him !

Ie hel talk of the x  plant of western ib and sam will note that plant is actualy native to only the east of ib ,hel talk of visting a far east city with say  a red stone statue and sam will cite 2 old scrolls that say that statue is green etc etc

12 hours ago, 300 H&H Magnum said:

Euron has access to magic.  Samwell will have access to knowledge.  Magic vs. Science?  Not exactly but Samwell can be useful if the Hightowers have to battle Euron.  He might figure out how to make his own version of wildfire and use it to light the ironborn ships.

I like the magic vs science angle

7 hours ago, rotting sea cow said:

Sam is the only character who has killed an Other. Do not underestimate him.

I'm not saying that Sam doesn't have a big role to play, nor am I underestimating him, as I said I think he will play some clever trick to hinder Euron in some way. But lets be real here, Sam killing an Other was pure luck. He basically swung wildly with the dragonglass because there was no other weapon there, and the Other wasn't taking him seriously. It could easily have been Grenn or anyone else in that position. 

10 hours ago, rotting sea cow said:

Sam is the only character who has killed an Other. Do not underestimate him.

The OP is right, there are hints that Sam is one of the big  Euron enemies.

To be fair the other he killed wasn't very difficult to kill, and didn't fight back. In an actual duel or fight Sam isn't very skilled at all and would definitely lose to Euron. If he is to "fight" Euron, he'd have to use his wits to defeat him, and even then Euron probably has a wealth of knowledge from his years reaving and in exile.

18 hours ago, Coffeewiththegods said:

Hmm I see where you are coming from since Euron is near Oldtown, but to me it seems like the battle takes place on the sea, and I wouldn't think sam would go out to face Euron on a ship. There's is someone else though who could be considered the "leviathan" and is currently building a large fleet, Wayman Manderly.

Aeron will be the leviathan. The drowned god is symbolically a leviathan that has been second lifed by a human, and Aeron is going to play the part. It is why the leviathan's song is framed as the language of the Drowned God.

My god, he prayed, speakto me in the rumble of the waves, and tell me what to do. The captains and the kings await your word. Who shall be our king in Balon's place? Sing to me in the language of leviathan, that I may know his name.

Aeron's whole character arc is one of faith and it is concluded in the sample chapter.

Spoiler

His faith holds until the end whereas the other holy men and their weak gods fail, Aeron is true and he will have his reward. Or more he will carry on his god's work.

“Will you do the same, brother?” Euron asked. “I think not. I think if I drowned you, you’ll stay drowned. All gods are lies, but yours is laughable. A pale white thing in the likeness of a man, his limbs broken and swollen and his hair flipping in the water while fish nibble at his face. What fool would worship that?”

“He’s your god as well,” insisted the Damphair. “And when you die, he will judge you harshly, Crow’s Eye. You will spend eternity as a sea slug, crawling on your belly eating shit. If you do not fear to kill your own blood, slit my throat and be done with me. I’m weary of your mad boastings.”

That the drowned god will be Euron's end is constantly hit upon in the series. This is how it will come to be, Aeron in his second life will defeat and drag Euron in his dragon/kraken (sea dragon) second life to the sea floor.

15 hours ago, kleevedge said:

Hmm I see where you are coming from since Euron is near Oldtown, but to me it seems like the battle takes place on the sea, and I wouldn't think sam would go out to face Euron on a ship. There's is someone else though who could be considered the "leviathan" and is currently building a large fleet, Wayman Manderly.

I would tend to agree with this. Isn't that description of the kraken and leviathan conflict depicted in the Manderly court?

I believe that Sam and Bran are plotline opposites. One in the north at the center of information, old magic and history and the other in the south at the center of information, new(er) knowledge and history. Science and magic will join to defeat the enemy as it already has before, i.e. the Wall and Valyrian steel (assuming that it really does anything as we only have the show for confirmation of that). In the last two books, both characters had few chapters (three for Bran and four for Sam if we discount that first redundant chapter) and just managed to get to the place where they were headed and begin their main quests for knowledge.

Of course, it might be that we will have a matching east/west opposite dynamic as well between the kraken and leviathan. The question is why and where do they meet? Euron has much better initial targets than White Harbor and Manderly has no reason to get involved unless ordered to by someone else.

44 minutes ago, Trefayne said:

I would tend to agree with this. Isn't that description of the kraken and leviathan conflict depicted in the Manderly court?

I believe that Sam and Bran are plotline opposites. One in the north at the center of information, old magic and history and the other in the south at the center of information, new(er) knowledge and history. Science and magic will join to defeat the enemy as it already has before, i.e. the Wall and Valyrian steel (assuming that it really does anything as we only have the show for confirmation of that). In the last two books, both characters had few chapters (three for Bran and four for Sam if we discount that first redundant chapter) and just managed to get to the place where they were headed and begin their main quests for knowledge.

Of course, it might be that we will have a matching east/west opposite dynamic as well between the kraken and leviathan. The question is why and where do they meet? Euron has much better initial targets than White Harbor and Manderly has no reason to get involved unless ordered to by someone else.

The Manderlys have an interest in the Reach in the form of Dustonbury the orignal seat of house Manderly that rests right off the Mander which the IB are going to use to attack the Reach. The New Castle in Whiteharbour was built to resemble Dustonbury castle so its obvious the Manderlys still hold it dear to there heart. House Peake currently hold it but are weak what if Manderly sails his fleet to assist the Tyrells OR (F)Aegon who the Reach have sided with in defeating the IB with Dustonbury the Manderlys price. 

Im just throwing out ideas is all.

21 hours ago, Rufus Snow said:

Well, for now Sam is a BLACK leviathan, as Leo points out. Even Maester Aemon wore black, not grey, despite being a Maester before joining the NW. Given that, I think it's unlikely Sam will become a grey leviathan...  but who else amongst the grey rats has the scale to be a leviathan???

Jon Connington? :)

This is Behemoth, Griffin and Leviathan from the Bible.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5a/Lev-Beh-Ziz.jpg/320px-Lev-Beh-Ziz.jpg

Sam is Behemoth, and JonCon was Griffin, and because of grayscale became a Leviathan.

42 minutes ago, Megorova said:

Jon Connington? :)

This is Behemoth, Griffin and Leviathan from the Bible.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5a/Lev-Beh-Ziz.jpg/320px-Lev-Beh-Ziz.jpg

Sam is Behemoth, and JonCon was Griffin, and because of grayscale became a Leviathan.

Har! A tricksy bird, your leviathan :D I hadn't even thought of that implication of the word 'scale' there... well caught...

21 hours ago, Stormking902 said:

The New Castle in Whiteharbour was built to resemble Dustonbury castle so its obvious the Manderlys still hold it dear to there heart. House Peake currently hold it but are weak what if Manderly sails his fleet to assist the Tyrells OR (F)Aegon who the Reach have sided with in defeating the IB with Dustonbury the Manderlys price. 

House Peake doesn't hold Dustonbury, they lost that castle for siding with Blackfyre's, their only castle is Starpike now. We don't know who controls the seat of Dustonbury, if anyone,  it could even be abandoned in current era

Archived